Tendo City
IGN: "horse ride from one side of Hyrule to the next is rumored to take 45 real min." - Printable Version

+- Tendo City (https://www.tendocity.net)
+-- Forum: Tendo City: Metropolitan District (https://www.tendocity.net/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+--- Forum: Tendo City (https://www.tendocity.net/forumdisplay.php?fid=42)
+--- Thread: IGN: "horse ride from one side of Hyrule to the next is rumored to take 45 real min." (/showthread.php?tid=3991)

IGN: "horse ride from one side of Hyrule to the next is rumored to take 45 real min." - Sacred Jellybean - 3rd September 2006

http://wii.ign.com/articles/730/730221p6.html

Quote:What to expect: The single greatest videogame of all time? Did we oversell it a bit? Really, we may not be kidding. At the very least, Twilight Princess is sure to be the best launch game in the history of launch games, but we're willing to bet it'll go down as much more than that. The title is the result of a massive effort by the proven Zelda team at Nintendo, which has in the past created some of today's most fondly remembered titles, from Ocarina of Time to Wind Waker. Twilight Princess will not only be bigger - a horse ride from one side of Hyrule to the next is rumored to take 45 real minutes - but much more ambitious than ever before. Link turns into a wolf, crossed into a dark dimension, goes fishing, and rides his way into more dungeons than ever - and he's just getting started. Truth be told, we've glimpsed scenarios that have made our jaws drop and Nintendo itself has indicated that we haven't seen anything yet. The final product is going to be nothing short of epic and with both a Wii-exclusive 16:9 mode and new Wii-mote-enhanced controls - the ability to shoot arrows and slash the sword - the game is on track to become an instant classic when it launches with Wii.

:clap:

"Rumored", but still, I can't wait for this game.

IGN: "horse ride from one side of Hyrule to the next is rumored to take 45 real min." - Great Rumbler - 3rd September 2006

It's gonna be great!

IGN: "horse ride from one side of Hyrule to the next is rumored to take 45 real min." - EdenMaster - 4th September 2006

Ugh. Don't you remember how people whined and complained when a trip across the ocean in WW took 5 or 10 minutes? If this is true they'll have a field day...

IGN: "horse ride from one side of Hyrule to the next is rumored to take 45 real min." - Great Rumbler - 4th September 2006

WW's ocean had very little in it, though, aside from a few islands. As long as TW's overworld is full of unique locations/towns/dungeons and so on, then it'll be just fine. And likely IGN's estimate is an exaggeration anyway.

IGN: "horse ride from one side of Hyrule to the next is rumored to take 45 real min." - Weltall - 4th September 2006

I won't mind for two reasons:

1. There's certain to be a lot to see (which was my gripe with Wind Waker, and it's a valid one). What made the smaller Hyrule Field so neat was that there were lots of secrets hidden all over. The ocean had them too, but you had to use the fish guy and use maps and it wasn't half as much fun. If it will take me 45 minutes, I expect a full, lush world with plenty of distractions.

2. There's almost certain to be a warp system once the thrill settles down.

IGN: "horse ride from one side of Hyrule to the next is rumored to take 45 real min." - lazyfatbum - 5th September 2006

I think I played a different WW than other people did. My version of WW had islands/submarines/forts everywhere with mini dungeons (usually with special items), puzzle rooms, etc. Treasure at sea, fairy hideouts, mini-games, battle locations, sub-bosses and even a neat little random game that would pop up occasionally where you can collect ruppees through a small gauntlet of barrels. And then you have the story-timed events such as the Koroks appearing on certain islands where they need to bring the tree water or the gorons-in-hiding.

It was flat ocean yes, but there was much, much, much more to do than the OoT Hyrule Field and it was also about 3 times larger. Not to mention that Windfall Island was built like Clocktown from MM where everyone had schedules and each character in town had mini-games and quests for you, unlike the very static OoT towns.

In OoT, Hyrule Field had absolutely nothing to it. Some scattered enemies or randomly appearing enemies, the occasional hole where you drop down and either walk up to the treasure chest or kill an enemy or two or rarely the hidden cow, and that was it. The OoT towns had barely anything to them as well. Hyrule Castle Town had the slingshot/bow game, bombchu game and the magic mirror 'mini-quest', the dog fetching mini-quest and the one time event of sneaking in to the castle. Oh, and there was that weird chick that you could sell junk to. Then there was Goron City which had nothing, then Kokiri forest which again had nothing (beyond the training) and Kakariko which had the hookshot race, the slingshot/bow-mini game, the chicken mini-game.... at one point in the story you can land on the roof of a Kakariko house to get a heartpiece... some gold skulltulas if you wanna count them... that's it. There's about ten fold more to do in WW's towns, especially Windfall, hell after playing WW OoT seemed barren.

Yeah, you guys should look for my version of WW. It's called 'The Legend of Zelda: the Wind Waker' and it's for the 'Came Cube' console. If you get confused while at the store, ask the sales clerck for 'the one with the boat', and then make a DAVID KILLIAN IS LYING TO YOU reference, they'll understand.

IGN: "horse ride from one side of Hyrule to the next is rumored to take 45 real min." - A Black Falcon - 5th September 2006

Quote:It was flat ocean yes, but there was much, much, much more to do than the OoT Hyrule Field and it was also about 3 times larger. Not to mention that Windfall Island was built like Clocktown from MM where everyone had schedules and each character in town had mini-games and quests for you, unlike the very static OoT towns.

In OoT, Hyrule Field had absolutely nothing to it. Some scattered enemies or randomly appearing enemies, the occasional hole where you drop down and either walk up to the treasure chest or kill an enemy or two or rarely the hidden cow, and that was it. The OoT towns had barely anything to them as well. Hyrule Castle Town had the slingshot/bow game, bombchu game and the magic mirror 'mini-quest', the dog fetching mini-quest and the one time event of sneaking in to the castle. Oh, and there was that weird chick that you could sell junk to. Then there was Goron City which had nothing, then Kokiri forest which again had nothing (beyond the training) and Kakariko which had the hookshot race, the slingshot/bow-mini game, the chicken mini-game.... at one point in the story you can land on the roof of a Kakariko house to get a heartpiece... some gold skulltulas if you wanna count them... that's it. There's about ten fold more to do in WW's towns, especially Windfall, hell after playing WW OoT seemed barren.

Agreed, there was definitely a lot more to do in WW's ocean than the OoT overworld... OoT is the better game of course, but overworld-wise WW's is more interesting. MM too, they realized that OoT didn't have enough and changed that... stil though, I do love the OoT overworld. Even if it is kind of small (if larger than MM's) and empty, it's beautiful and, like the rest of the game, has amazing art design...

Anyway, the ocean wasn't the problem with WW, though I do wish that there was a usable warp in the upper lefthand corner, you had to sail across like three squares of ocean to get there, always annoyed me... sailing is fun, but travel times in games get old after a while. (MMORPGs have a serious issue here, it's like the whole genre was designed to make you run back and forth to get to where you want to go across a massive world... oh right, it WAS, to keep you playing longer so they can keep getting your money!)

IGN: "horse ride from one side of Hyrule to the next is rumored to take 45 real min." - Dark Jaguar - 5th September 2006

Wind Waker's ocean did have a lot more to it than OOT's field, but LESS to it than, for example, LTTP's open field. What I mean by that is diversity. Just climbing every little watch tower or dropping a claw in every shining spot gets boring quickly. On the other hand, if the various things I can do are all vastly different, for example digging up treasure one moment and running from thiefs in a forest the next, then you have something epic.

IGN: "horse ride from one side of Hyrule to the next is rumored to take 45 real min." - lazyfatbum - 5th September 2006

Traveling can get boring if you realize you have to march across the entire overworld. I would have killed (murdered a human life) to get wings on the boat, or actually fly on the wind for an increase in speed. Travel time will be even more important in TP, so I imagine that the horse and Link's wolf form will have degrees of speed.

I've seen videos of Link on the horse with the carrot meter, and i've seen shots of the wolf getting sucked up in to a vortex (warp?) so there's that for sure.

IGN: "horse ride from one side of Hyrule to the next is rumored to take 45 real min." - Great Rumbler - 5th September 2006

Also, it might not be talking about one, continuous overworld. It could be broken into different, interconnecting sections with a variety of themes.

IGN: "horse ride from one side of Hyrule to the next is rumored to take 45 real min." - Dark Jaguar - 5th September 2006

I sort of hope it's both actually. That is, seamless transition so that the only indication you are in a new place is that it is a different place. Maybe some obvious tree line when you enter the forest so that as you look at that line and run in circles you think "what disaster only reached this far?".

IGN: "horse ride from one side of Hyrule to the next is rumored to take 45 real min." - A Black Falcon - 6th September 2006

Quote:Wind Waker's ocean did have a lot more to it than OOT's field, but LESS to it than, for example, LTTP's open field. What I mean by that is diversity. Just climbing every little watch tower or dropping a claw in every shining spot gets boring quickly. On the other hand, if the various things I can do are all vastly different, for example digging up treasure one moment and running from thiefs in a forest the next, then you have something epic.

If you count things like cutting down the grass and digging holes yes, but otherwise I'm not as sure... LttP did have a bunch of stuff in the overworld, even if it is just a "central area with a ring of separate zones around it" design, but WW's overworld was pretty well done, wtih dozens of islands each with their own puzzle... maybe LttP did have more diversity in the overworld though, I'm not sure. There was a huge contrast between LttP/LA and OoT (in how OoT had far less to do in the overworlds while boosting what you do in the towns), but MM and WW tried to add stuff to it and make the overworlds more interesting, so the gap closed some... still though, it is true that in WW you do spend most of your time in the overworld doing the same things, particularly searching for sunken treasures... it's mostly fun though, so oh well.

IGN: "horse ride from one side of Hyrule to the next is rumored to take 45 real min." - Dark Jaguar - 6th September 2006

The islands are fun, though some do repeat a few things. I'm talking about the rest of the ocean. A large chunk of that was repetitive. The squids were fun, but those towers and all that diving for treasure... got boring quickly.

Ya know though, maybe I'm off here. I think there might have been more diversity in WW, but there was just too much of the same in the oceans. I loved the pirate boat though, just because of how epic seeing it for the first time was.

IGN: "horse ride from one side of Hyrule to the next is rumored to take 45 real min." - lazyfatbum - 6th September 2006

I love chasing down the ghost ship that only appears under certain moons around certain parts of the ocean. I was 100% sure that there would be an upgrade for the boat though... even if it was like a magic compass that automatically changed the direction of the wind your boat was facing so it's always blowing the right way. But dragon wings would have been the shit.

LttP has 2 overworlds btw. OoT has overworld 1 and overworld redux, enemies are different, some things in different locations, etc. MM had had something different happening on each of the 3 days plus the story-timed events, such as clearing the water of poison around the swamp area which opened new locations. It's funny, but WW is the only recent Zelda game with one overworld. So while nothing is confirmed yet, i'm gonna count my unhatched chickens and say that TP will have 2 overworlds in some fashion.

Alot of the screenshots and movies suggest that the Twlight Realm is an actual place you go to outside the normal world, but i'm willing to bet that it's a second overworld.

IGN: "horse ride from one side of Hyrule to the next is rumored to take 45 real min." - Dark Jaguar - 6th September 2006

I thought having a flying boat would have been fun while playing. I've taken it further and thought that if a horse is awesome, a flying horse would be like the awesomest ever. Some sort of unicorn pegasus would be like, the best thing ever, especially if it ran "on" the wind and you had to have some odd turns and there was some epic sky battle and a bunch of crazy items you could use on horse back. Maybe fight a tornado... That said, I didn't put any expectations on finding something like that in the game. My expectations were more on the lines of "the next dungeon must be where the puzzles really start getting challenging" and "alright, now some sort of underwater dungeon to fetch the 3rd pearl!".

Yeah, I've thought on similar lines that a large number of Zelda games, ever since LTTP, have tried to replicate that game's success with "two worlds". Four Swords Adventure did a good job of it. Finding out your shadows in the other world can directly interact with your split "selves" was pretty amazing (probably an extention of the four sword's power) though the first puzzle where we were INTENDED to discover that, I ended up BRUTE FORCING my way through a barrage of cannon balls and actually living. That's the OTHER way to solve a puzzle Zelda rarely goes into, the "enough of this, I'm just going to punch my way through!" and then you just take your awesome sword or bombs or flaming arrows and just take OUT the locked wooden door in front of you. If they decide to implement more "sandbox" style gameplay into Zelda, a more open ended way of using some ingenuity to solve puzzles is probably the best way to go. I'm starting to think the main issue isn't that the new Zelda games have puzzles that are "too easy" so much as that they are getting too "formulaic" (though there is the easiness issue in some areas, for example you should be required to experiment with items to see what puzzles they can solve rather than being told exactly what they do like "and for some odd reason I think I should point out they can cut down icicles on the ceiling"). Breaking the mold may require some more procedurally generated interaction with your environment so an obstacle can be overcome in many different ways. PURE speculation, but it would be interesting if that's what Nintendo means when they say Twilight Princess is the "last traditional Zelda game", though admittedly it is more likely they merely mean in terms of innovative controller interaction than a total overhaul of how puzzles are handled. I still think it might be a good idea to look into that though.

I call that previous paragraph a DJ style stream of conciousness. Now back to the original topic, let's see, LTTP had it's dark world, and OOT had it's "future land" which as you said was basically past land but with more places accessible, and some other changes not nearly as dramatic as dark land. Link's Awakening didn't have a second world though. (The incredibly short "dream within a dream land" sequences don't really count.) Majora's Mask WAS another world, and you barely touched the Hyrule reality, but they spent their focus more on sheer depth of the world. The two Oracle games also tried alternate worlds. There was the 4 seasons, which didn't nearly capture it, though there were 4 of the seasons so it was nifty enough. There was also the somewhat small "subland" there, basically just an underworld. Ages had a past and a future. Due to the much greater difference in time, they could make things change more. This felt more like a failure simply because they could have done so much more with it than they did. It fell short of "Dark World" level differences. Wind Waker had Old Hyrule held within that time bubble beneath the waves, but that was more of a dungeon to itself than a seperate world. Minish Cap had the realm of the small. That could have been flushed out more than it was. Now, sometimes adhering to actual physics can ruin a game's fun. In Minish Cap's case though, can you imagine?

I've read a number of biologist's opinions on how many sheer missed opportunities "shrinking" stories miss out on, and just how much more awesome an accurate portrayal of what happens when you change the scale but not the shape of a structure. Let's put it this way. If you can manage to not die of exposure, you can flip out like a ninja if you are shrunk. All that wall jumping and taking out things twice your size with a single flying kick off the ceiling? If you want that, shrink yourself! That's the secret of ninja movies. They all take place in alternate universes that are actually smaller in scale than our own. The thing to remember is that surface area (a 2D thing) will not be reduced nearly as much as volume (3D). Basic math of course, if the shape is the same and all you do is shrink, ratios are still going to be different (not intuitive, but do the math and you'll see, I'm right). The biology sites have gone on saying that due to that, the first danger is freezing to death. The greater surface area to volume is why smaller thing's hearts beat faster (and indirectly the reason they live relatively shorter lives, well in those with physiology similar to our own like mammals), because heat is lost quicker. So, Link could have had to rush from warm spot to warm spot while small (which would have been fun) until eventually you get the "fire coat", a magical coat that grants Link with the same ability to maintain heat that he had when he was big (or as a universal answer, a wizard did it, the hat already solves the problem). But, this is no excuse for lacking all the awesome flip out and kill people abilities that a shrunken man has. 1 inch woman being attacked by spider? Disadvantage? Spider! That's concentrated muscle mass. Not as strong as when big in an absolute sense, but there's a reason that ants can lift so much weight and it's that scaling issue again. Also consider that with lower mass, someone doesn't have nearly the inertia they have at our size. These combined mean a few things. One, you can jump into a normal sized well, hit terminal velocity really quick, and just sort of bounce without breaking anything when you hit bottom. Mice under a certain weight can be dropped from any height and assuming they don't pass out from lack of air or hit something otherwise deadly, they hit TV too soon to ever die from a drop (on Earth, which means other assumptions like an atmosphere like our own, our gravity, and dropping it when at a speed relative to earth's so the creature doesn't slam into atmosphere or skid across the ground sideways). A mouse bounces, a human breaks, and a horse will literally splash (don't drop an elephant anything higher than a foot, and even that may be too much). All this combined means your shrunken friend will be able to tear that spider a new one. Jump way up over it, land safely, instantly reverse direction and deliver a kick to the arse sending it sprawling outward. If it weren't for the huge energy issues we have at that scale just to stay alive, other things might actually more closely resemble us at that scale. At any rate, back to the game, Link could have been totally awesome flipping around and moving a lot quicker and not hurt himself falling from great heights when smaller, totally different dynamic when he puts on the hat sort of thing. (Oh yes, surface tension becomes VERY strong when small, so be careful drinking a big water "bubble" we'd call a drop at that scale because the moment you put it to your lips, it's instantly capillary action'd its way down your throat, whether you swallow or not. They at least seem to recognize how powerful that force becomes at that scale with the falling drops of water of DEATH in the game.) I'm not saying a magical video game needs to be accurate in physics. I'm just saying that when the missed opportunities seem THAT amazingly good as ideas for awesome gameplay AND have the bonus of being physically accurate, well then you just want them to make the game yourself if someone else doesn't.

Back on topic again, Four Swords was a barebones (almost proof of concept, though still amazingly fun) game but Four Swords Adventures introduced the Dark World again, though this time it seems to act differently and doesn't even seem to be the same "dark world" as the sacred realm of LTTP (no golden skies and it seems to basically just be a shadow of the light world and it's all wavy, plus this game was before Ganon corrupted the sacred land so if it was that place it shouldn't be filled with darkness). Since Nintendo has officially stated that there is an infinity of alternate worlds in the Zelda universe due to the way that the goddess trinity created it, that isn't too far fetched. And now, there's the Twilight realm. From what I've seen, it seems to be a fully fleshed out location as opposed to just tiny fragments. With a unique art style applied to the whole thing, and the way Nintendo is going on about how massive the game will be, I'd say it's reasonable to expect this place to be fully fleshed out. I wonder how, or if, it relates to the golden land or the dark world of Four Swords though.