Tendo City
Snakes on airplanes. - Printable Version

+- Tendo City (https://www.tendocity.net)
+-- Forum: Tendo City: Metropolitan District (https://www.tendocity.net/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+--- Forum: Ramble City (https://www.tendocity.net/forumdisplay.php?fid=44)
+--- Thread: Snakes on airplanes. (/showthread.php?tid=3967)

Snakes on airplanes. - Dark Jaguar - 21st August 2006

So it seems my friends were, completely out of character, actually WANTING to see this movie, and I was brought along as well. Explained beforehand to me as a movie that was actually intentionally made to be totally terrible but no part of the movie would betray it. Apparently it was a comedy with the joke being how aweful it was and how serious it took itself.

Well, it worked. That was the worst movie I ever liked. Aweful, just aweful. It did everything I don't like action movies for, only exxagerated to a level unprecedented. Inexplicable plot twists, ridiculous plot with science SOUNDING explanations that still get it wrong, dramatic cop buddies only one dies, dramatic tension that isn't all that dramatic but silly, over the top violence where everyone dies in ways that exemplify every over the top death scene you may have seen in an action movie. I was expecting the main man detective to actually have some lord of the rings style dramatic music in the background as he worked his way slowly with one arm in front of him as a wave of wind and snakes tear at his body but he's just like too pumped and has a scowel of determination on him. I also expected some final scene with a mac truck barrelling down on the heros just when they think everything's safe and as they look closer they see that behind the wheel is, the snakes! Neither happened, but hey they could be deleted scenes in the DVD.

This movie was made to be talked about DURING the movie, but unfortunatly my audience was "broken" and didn't say a thing. They need to add a little disclaimer at the start where the main character smashes through one of those "please be silent during the film" messages and says "no, you need to make fun of this movie loudly and talk to strangers next to you about it, that's the whole point!" and then he brings in those two robots that make fun of movies to show the audience how it's done with a simple demonstration.

In the future, all film titles will be flat out direct and very cheesy.

"It's a Vampire!"

"The Mega Tsunami Takes New York"

"Football is Awesome"

Snakes on airplanes. - Great Rumbler - 21st August 2006

I saw it Saturday night and it's the kind of movie that you can't really be dissapointed by because you know exactly what it's going to be like beforehand.

People laughed quite a bit during the showing I was at, which barely had 30 people.

Snakes on airplanes. - A Black Falcon - 21st August 2006

Yeah, supposedly it didn't do nearly as well as the studio hoped, after all this internet buzz...

Snakes on airplanes. - Great Rumbler - 21st August 2006

It doing farely well compared to similar movies.

Snakes on airplanes. - Sacred Jellybean - 21st August 2006

According to imdb, as I post this, for the weekend (August 18th), it's number one, beating out "World Trade Center."

Awesome.

I haven't seen it myself yet, but I will. Perhaps Sunday or Friday (saturday is the Monster Mania Convention, where I'll hopefully meet Robert Englund).

Snakes on airplanes. - Dark Lord Neo - 21st August 2006

Haha, most of it's buzz was generated by the internet, so I"m sure that there were a lot of people who will just download it :P

I could say "the movie represents all our fears as Americans of foreign invasion, using the symbolic evolutionary fear of the snake as a deep primordial source, and parodies how incredibly irrational our fears have become", but they didn't intend that at all. Sure enough, some college kid is going to write a thesis on that though.

And the music video at the end was just insipid. Perfectly insulting my intelligence in just the wrong ways at every point.

Oh and the product placement, both for PSP and DS (PSP more though). The cell phone one was the best. They spent like 3 minutes building up to it with vastly unrealistic ignorance of the very existance of cell phones with cameras and needing, for some silly reason a photo of a kid's absolutely and amazingly quickly drawn PERFECT drawing of a cobra, and suddenly "MY phone can TAKE pictures" and the woooows by the rest of them. Exactly as demeaning to my ability to think cognacious... thunk as it should be.

Snakes on airplanes. - Fittisize - 21st August 2006

I just watched The Daily Show and there were about two thousand references to this movie. An entire sketch was basically "I'm tired of motherfucking (x-object) on motherfucking (y-object)". This has the makings for another catchphrase that will be beaten into the ground long after it is no longer funny or topical.

Motherfucking shit.

Snakes on airplanes. - A Black Falcon - 21st August 2006

Actually, I'd say it was beaten into the ground months ago... the fact that the movie is finally out will just make that worse. :)