Tendo City
Say I have a friend... - Printable Version

+- Tendo City (https://www.tendocity.net)
+-- Forum: Tendo City: Metropolitan District (https://www.tendocity.net/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+--- Forum: Ramble City (https://www.tendocity.net/forumdisplay.php?fid=44)
+--- Thread: Say I have a friend... (/showthread.php?tid=3963)

Say I have a friend... - Darunia - 17th August 2006

Say I have a friend who wants to get an old school PSX so that he can relive the 90's. Say that he knew nothing about PSX, and wanted to know what were the very best titles from every genre (RPG, FPS, ADVENTURE, ETC.) to get.

Say that.

And then repeat it here.

Say I have a friend... - Sacred Jellybean - 17th August 2006

Silent Hill.

(beat you to it, Rtan :D)

Say I have a friend... - Fittisize - 17th August 2006

Chrono Cross

Say I have a friend... - Weltall - 17th August 2006

Silent Hill - Resident Evil-style game that is far superior in every concievable way except graphically.

Xenogears - The best RPG ever concocted by mankind. Grown men weep when faced with its radiance.

Star Ocean: The Second Story - The second-best RPG ever concocted by mankind, and more fun to play than Xenogears, though lacking in the storyline by comparison.

Castlevania: Symphony of the Night: Action/Platformer, one of the most beautiful games ever, and great fun too.

Metal Gear Solid - Most of the gameplay mechanics are outdated, but it's still a classic, and still better than most games like it.

Say I have a friend... - lazyfatbum - 17th August 2006

There's a few Contra games, all of them suck but one. I cant remember which one is that which does not suck.

It's Shake & Bake. And I helped.

Say I have a friend... - A Black Falcon - 18th August 2006

Star Ocean: The Second Story is probably the best PSX RPG-ish game that I've played... it's actually fun to play! That is far from a given in the world of menu-based-combat-random-battles console-style RPGs... (yeah, I have learned to tolerate them, but I still can't understand why they stopped paying attention to the developments of PC RPGs in the late '80s... it's like console RPGs cloned Ultimas 1-4 and the first seven Wizardry game, and dropped every innovation made in the genre since then...

Oh, there are other subgenres that partially "prove" me wrong -- "strategy/RPGs" which are really strategy games (Fire Emblem, Shining Force, Ogre Battle, etc), action/RPGs which change things by having "mash the buttons" combat... (Star Ocean, Tales, Mana, etc)... but where were they when Pools of Radiance innovated the PC RPG combat system, or when Ultima VII showed how open-ended a PC RPG could truly be, or when ... any PC RPG made in the last 12+ years... had an ingame map and quest log...

Yes, yes, I know, plot, plot... which is all well and good, but good gameplay is important too... otherwise I'd have managed to play more than an hour of Xenogears... not that I can't enjoy console RPGs, but when I compare them feature-to-feature they don't come close...

Oh yeah, and why the heck don't console RPGs use the start button to pause? Why do they always use some random face button? It doesn't make any sense...

Say I have a friend... - Dark Jaguar - 18th August 2006

They just decided to use an easy to reach menu button and they all agree, if the menu pauses, why have a seperate pause button?

Final Fantasy Tactics.

I do assume you mean the Playstation and not the super expensive PS2/DMV hybrid system that was only a failure in Japan.

Every single game listed is awesome, and they all have terrible voice acting (well except MGS for the most part).

Vagrant Story

Pretty much anything else with Final Fantasy on it. Up until X, they were all superb (X wasn't terrible per say, I just found it lacking compaired to the past).

Legend of Legaia

Oh, your friend should probably get a PS2 anyway. Those things are getting pretty cheap now, and they do play PS1 games you know. The only games that have issues are ones that either suck or are obscure Japanese titles anyway.

And after all that, there's a bunch of others he may want to play eventually, but those are like the top dogs of the pride... mixed metas...

Say I have a friend... - Great Rumbler - 18th August 2006

Final Fantasy 7
Incredible Crisis
Breath of Fire 3

Contra 3 is the best of them all though, and that's an SNES game.

http://www.thebestpageintheuniverse.net/c.cgi?u=contra3_owns

Say I have a friend... - lazyfatbum - 18th August 2006

That game was awesome. But the one on PSX was actually pretty good, it had a black samurai as 2P and it was 3-D with an isometric view, at one point you engaged a dog dressed as the German Kaiser and an Akira styled giant infant head with mechanical tentacles and even rode dinosaurs with lights attached to their faces.

I'll note that Maddox hadn't actually played Metroid Prime at the time he made his final comment. I guess he had reason to worry but it ended up awesome anyway. That doesn't make Maddox WRONG though, that's impossible. He was just right in a different flavor.

I don't like this question, the PSX has SO MANY games that any list would get very long...

32/64-bit console FPS: get an N64

adventure games: Silent Hill, Resident Evil series, Fear Effect (otherwise get a PC)

standard RPG: depends on how much you enjoy the console style of RPGs... if you do there are a lot, if you don't there are very few... possibly of note: Final Fantasy VII, Lunar: Silver Star Story Complete, Lunar 2: Eternal Blue, Persona 2: Eternal Torment, Xenogears

action-RPG: Tales of Destiny 1/2, Star Ocean: The Second Story, Legend of Mana, DarkStone

strategy: Ogre Battle, Tactics Ogre, Final Fantasy Tactics, Space Hulk: Vengeance of the Blood Angels (FPS/strategy hybrid, fun but very hard...)

shmups: Einhander, Strikers 1945, Mobile Light Force, Sol Divide, RayForce, RayStorm, G-Darius

3d shooters: WarHawk, MDK

steath: MGS, Tenchu: Stealth Assassins

side-scrolling platformer: Heart of Darkness, Oddworld: Abe's Oddysey, Oddworld: Abe's Exoddus, Tomba!, Pandemonium 1 or 2, Rayman

3d platformer: Croc: Legend of the Gobbos,Crash Bandicoot (I guess), Jumping Flash perhaps?

3d platform/action: Brave Fencer Musashi, Threads of Fate

racing: Wipeout XL, Wipeout 3, Rollcage, Rollcage Stage II, Destruction Derby 2, R4: Ridge Racer Type 4

2d fighting: Darkstalkers 3, Street Fighter Alpha 3, Guilty Gear, King of Fighters '99

3d fighting: Soul Blade, Evil Zone, Tekken 3, Dead or Alive

Parasite Eve, Brave Fencer Musashi, and Ape Escape are also some good games.

Oh right, Brave Fencer Musashi... that and Threads of Fate should definitely be in the 3d platformer category (or '3d platform/action' perhaps?)! Great games...

Say I have a friend... - Fittisize - 19th August 2006

Dark Jaguar Wrote:I'll note that Maddox hadn't actually played Metroid Prime at the time he made his final comment. I guess he had reason to worry but it ended up awesome anyway. That doesn't make Maddox WRONG though, that's impossible. He was just right in a different flavor.

DJ, have you read the Alphabet of Manliness?

Say I have a friend... - lazyfatbum - 19th August 2006

looking at this thread i'm seeing a good amount of exclusive games I enjoy on PSX, but when it comes to PS2 all I can think of is the Silent Hill series. In fact if Darunia asked for a list of PS2 games I wouldn't be able to come up with anything. There's RE4 but that's on GC. I think there's some 2-D Mega Man games for PS2 but their on GC as well. There's some good Castlevania games, Katamari of course.... Guitar Hero if you like music games... I didn't enjoy any of Square's PS2 outings though I heard Kingdom Hearts is good, that FF7 FPS looks cool. Alot of people liked God of War though i'd much rather play Prince of Persia 1 or 3 which aren't exclusive to the platform... oh, Sly Cooper I enjoyed, and while I didn't really like the Ratchet and Clank games they did earn some reviewer praise. So, so far I can list 5 or 6 games....

uh...? Why did the PS2 do so well again?

Say I have a friend... - Great Rumbler - 19th August 2006

ICO
Shadow of the Colossus

Say I have a friend... - A Black Falcon - 19th August 2006

No, those are games that makes it look cool, not reasons why the PS2 succeeded... :)

Say I have a friend... - Great Rumbler - 19th August 2006

Metal Gear Solild 2 and 3

Say I have a friend... - Dark Jaguar - 19th August 2006

Kingdom Hearts 1 and 2

Katamari Damacy 1 and 2

Disgaia and the other strategy games made by that company

Yeah, the PS2 has a lot of good games.

Say I have a friend... - lazyfatbum - 20th August 2006

Shadow of the Colossus and ICO are definitely awesome, I should have remembered them; they didn't sell very well though. MGS 2 and 3 seems to have mixed praise, but I haven't played either of them, save for a demo of 3 which just looked like MGS in a forest. Katamari I already mentioned and it was popular for a while. But the RTS games DJ mentioned never make the top 10 on any console, save Pikmin, though Spore may change that. And please correct me if i'm wrong, but I believe none of the above games are million sellers.

If you count up all the games for PS2 mentioned here, you end up with about 15 to 20 games that are must haves (unless you dont enjoy every genre), but there has to be more. You dont become number one with just 15-20 solid titles. Hell GC has over 50 first and second party must-haves and that's not counting any third party stuff. And if you add all the Mario Party games you end up with like 10,000 so that's not really fair. I can probably come up with a list of 50 pretty easy for PSX (we might have that now in this thread) but PS2 maxes out at around 15 to 20 titles?

Of course, there's GTA, and all the other free-roam clones. I enjoyed GUN while it lasted just for its western themes though it was still GTA on a horse, but I cant stand GTA style games. Which actually might be the reason PS2 did so well.

Say I have a friend... - Great Rumbler - 20th August 2006

It's all about the number of titles. The PS2 has FAR more than either than Xbox or the GC, possibly more than both put together.

Say I have a friend... - A Black Falcon - 20th August 2006

PS2 dominates the world marketshare (100-110 million vs. 25 million or so (or a bit less?) for Xbox and something a bit over 20 million for GC...), so of course it has far, far more games than the other consoles... that's the problem with consoles like that -- if you start looking at the game selection available, the price of getting all the games that looks interesting gets very high, very fast... I certainly notice that when I look at the PS2 games in the store. :)

Say I have a friend... - Dark Jaguar - 20th August 2006

I'm not really talking about which good games are million sellers on the PS2. I'm talking about which games on the PS2 are good games. I thought that was the point.

Say I have a friend... - A Black Falcon - 20th August 2006

Quote:I'm not really talking about which good games are million sellers on the PS2. I'm talking about which games on the PS2 are good games. I thought that was the point.

Well, the original question was about the PS1, so anything about the PS2 isn't quite on topic...

Say I have a friend... - Darunia - 20th August 2006

Nice, nice... these suggestions have all been very helpful. I 've played Breath of Fire III before and I can verify that it is indeed a superb game... but recommendations from the rest of your guys aren't to be taken lightly, either. I'll let you know how this goes for my friend.

Say I have a friend... - Sacred Jellybean - 20th August 2006

BTW, Ruindania, you don't have to pussyfoot around and say that QUOTE UNQUOTE a friend of yours is interested in PSX. Despite how badly Sony may be screwing up nowadays, much respect can still be payed to the earlier iterations of Playstation. No need to feel ashamed about expanding your gaming horizons, brother.

Say I have a friend... - EdenMaster - 21st August 2006

You disappoint me, Mr. Usher.

Final Fantasy VII.

Say I have a friend... - Great Rumbler - 22nd August 2006

I already mentioned that one...