Tendo City
You know it's August when... - Printable Version

+- Tendo City (https://www.tendocity.net)
+-- Forum: Tendo City: Metropolitan District (https://www.tendocity.net/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+--- Forum: Ramble City (https://www.tendocity.net/forumdisplay.php?fid=44)
+--- Thread: You know it's August when... (/showthread.php?tid=3960)

You know it's August when... - Great Rumbler - 17th August 2006

You buy five books and the cost is over $500.

You know it's August when... - Dark Jaguar - 17th August 2006

I heard that...

You know it's August when... - N-Man - 17th August 2006

I saw some birds leaving today. Already. I was like "wait! you fuckers! come back!"

....did it work?

You know it's August when... - Fittisize - 17th August 2006

Shit, it's August already? Normally around this time I'm not looking forward to going to school in a few weeks. Instead that's been replaced with constant procrastination towards applying for University...and trying to figure out exactly what the hell I want to do with myself now that the alleged "best years of my life" are over and done.

I'm not even two months out of high school and I already miss it. Don't you? I sure do miss being underaged, poor, and surrounded by a bunch of tools whose only business in high school is to scrape by with the bare minimum so they can get their diploma, which makes them fully qualified to get a back-breaking bottom-barrel job on the oil patch working 12 hours a day, six days a week, surrounded by a bunch of other dumbasses just like them who all think that they totally beat the system by doing fuck-all in high school and will now live the high life living in shitty motels year-round, occasionally returning to their trailer park home every third weekend where they will sit around and complain about the "stupid fuckin' Liberals" and "NDP Commies" even though they have no knowledge or grasp of politics and probably don't even know who our Prime Minister is (hint- he's from our province). Maybe if Larry the Cable Guy wasn't your premier source for current events you'd have a clue about the politics of your country. GET 'R DONE! That catchphrase (I can't believe it can be labelled as a catchphrase now) wasn't funny the first time that talentless piece of shit said it and it's not funny when you say it before every batter on your team steps to the plate during the annual May Long Slowpitch Tournament. Then you'll go out to all the high school parties you can make it to and brag to everyone you see that you are making "eight grande a month". Sadly, most people believe that all bottom-feeders on the oilpatch actually do rake in $96 000 in their first year. Somehow they all fail to notice that the dumbasses that are saying this have absolutely nothing to show for making a damn-near six figure salary other than a trailer full of empty Molson cubes and a 4x4 that sits four feet off the ground. Holy shit it makes me almost want to major in geology or chemical engineering just so I can show those who "beat" our shitty education system ($5 billion surplus and still the highest university entrance rates in the country??) the kind of life that somebody can have if they actually work for their position and not expect a bunch of free money for doing the most expendable job out there. Have fun dying at age 45 after 27 years of strenuous work in a poisonous environment doing a job that any numbskull who cares only about buying a big fucking truck as soon as possible can get on any given day, provided of course that they have that important slip of paper signifying twelve years of their life spent not learning anything.

I hate what the oil industry has done to this province. So many people with zero intelligience and too much money.

Yeah, I really miss those days.

You know it's August when... - Great Rumbler - 17th August 2006

Quote:I'm not even two months out of high school and I already miss it. Don't you?

Not in the slightest.

NOOOOO! Oh for... no way do I miss that! High school is the worst place in the universe, well unless you fit into a nice social group, then from what I understand it's fine. If you, like me, just didn't get all the social stuff and your "peers" decided that meant you had to be ridiculed, then you basically SURVIVED the experience. On the other hand, college is full of people who are actually ADULTS about life. I never did gain decent social skills until AFTER getting out of high school, and anyone claiming they actually learned how to operate in society from the social interactions in school must be either confused or had a totally different environment than I had. Nothing about how those people behaved was conducive to a functional society, and what reasonable adult says "well they can learn from each other" anyway? These people are supposed to teach me how to behave in society? No thanks, stick me with mature people instead. That's the problem with that whole "school teaches kids what social groups are like". First and foremost, school kids are ANIMALS :D. They don't know anything and thus have nothing TO teach anyone about social skills. What, do they want to reinvent the progress society has made every single generation by random experimentation with the masses in a confined setting? The second issue is this is not anything LIKE society. This is on so many different levels, the first being the ignorance that high school "populars" have with how the real world works, but the arrogance thinking they do. They will either ignore or sometimes even take it upon themselves to "teach" the unpopulars the way they should act, even though in a scant few years, every single thing they ever did in high school will be utterly meaningless except, gasp, the actual studying. Being queen of the dance won't impress anyone, and with every one of your friends spread thin throughout society, it becomes clear that being popular in school does not translate at all to the masses who just don't care at all about you (nor should they).

Instead, kids need to be taught how to behave by being put out in the real world. There's a lot out there to learn and the real world isn't as "dire" as I painted it above (except to those who think that high school is the best form we've got for it). The world's a great place, it's just that an individual needs to fully come to terms with the fact that they aren't the "main character of the story" and they are working together with everyone but don't actually need to impress all of them and make them acknowledge that they exist to do good things. Take kids to the library, or to the park, or maybe even to work if it's allowed (unless you are one of those poor parents working at a bottom rung job, because taking your kid there is child cruelty, and probably unsanitary in a cooking setting, and this comes from me actually seeing some kid brought to a frickin' burger joint to see what his mom doesn't do for a living because she thought popularity in school was more important than learning how society in the real world actually works). Teach the kid to behave, and that bullying in the real world usually results in jail time as a direct result of most of society agreeing they would rather not be bullied and to have such elements removed so they can go about their business.

School society resembles something closer to Oz than an MIT lab.

(On a lesser note, gym should have always been, from the start, an elective. Kids excercise on their own running around like maniacs, exactly like I do... um used to do (yeah, I don't suddenly sugar spaz and flail around my room pretending to be some sort of dancing ninja acrobat and scaring my cat... at least when someone else is in there). What possible use could climbing a rope or fluffing up a parachute or dodgeball actually have? I've heard the fluffy hypothesis that it "builds character" but the evidence seems to be totally lacking. Any teamwork skills they are supposed to build can be just as easily built in a setting like a TEAM PROJECT that actually does what school is meant to be about. Plus, they waste money on a lot of pointless junk that could be better spent on UP TO DATE BOOKS.

That said, I did enjoy the chance to learn at least, when the other stuff didn't hinder the experience. You may get the impression that I'm rather opinionated about the way school operates these days, well yes, yes I am. The entire K-12 experience was an aweful time and I'm glad it's over, and I'm a little upset that I know there are better ways to go about it and that current methods could easily be abandoned, like gym, and replaced with better ones but aren't. The adult world has it's problems but even at the worst times I've had in recent years, it was nothing like that. The most I can say is that I had a loving home and that the few teachers that apparently didn't have the same experience I had in school saying things like "these are the greatest times you'll have in life" must be real losers because my life right now is a LOT better.

You know it's August when... - Fittisize - 17th August 2006

Quote:the few teachers that apparently didn't have the same experience I had in school saying things like "these are the greatest times you'll have in life" must be real losers because my life right now is a LOT better.

Exactly. The people that say that high school are the best years of your life are the people that are disillusioned in adulthood.

The best memories from my high school years involved playing hockey and hanging out with my friends who have already graduated. I don't think I ever want to go back to the days where if you didn't have a DUI you weren't considered as cool as the several that did. (FIVE people from my former circle of friends had an impaired within a year after getting their driver's license, and one had one two years BEFORE he even turned sixteen - good reason why I won't keep in touch with those guys) And all the bullshit high school drama which I pretended to care about until halfway through grade eleven and then the bullshit drama I was FORCED to care about the rest of the way I can easily leave behind as well. Little girls are the devil.

A month and a half out of high school and life is already better for me. But I'm sure that my 18th birthday on the last day of school has helped with that also. *ahem*

You know it's August when... - A Black Falcon - 18th August 2006

Quote:NOOOOO! Oh for... no way do I miss that! High school is the worst place in the universe, well unless you fit into a nice social group, then from what I understand it's fine. If you, like me, just didn't get all the social stuff and your "peers" decided that meant you had to be ridiculed, then you basically SURVIVED the experience. On the other hand, college is full of people who are actually ADULTS about life.

DJ, high school isn't as bad for that stuff than Junior High was, though... Jr. High is the worst, high school definitely had its bad points but it was a definite improvement... people have grown up slightly and seem to be slightly more mature... people picked on me less, at least... and the classes are more interesting.

Children certainly are cruel, especially when they're younger, though...

Quote:(On a lesser note, gym should have always been, from the start, an elective. Kids excercise on their own running around like maniacs, exactly like I do... um used to do (yeah, I don't suddenly sugar spaz and flail around my room pretending to be some sort of dancing ninja acrobat and scaring my cat... at least when someone else is in there). What possible use could climbing a rope or fluffing up a parachute or dodgeball actually have? I've heard the fluffy hypothesis that it "builds character" but the evidence seems to be totally lacking. Any teamwork skills they are supposed to build can be just as easily built in a setting like a TEAM PROJECT that actually does what school is meant to be about. Plus, they waste money on a lot of pointless junk that could be better spent on UP TO DATE BOOKS.

Given the current increasing problems with childhood obesity, mandatory gym is a very good idea.

Quote:They don't know anything and thus have nothing TO teach anyone about social skills. What, do they want to reinvent the progress society has made every single generation by random experimentation with the masses in a confined setting? The second issue is this is not anything LIKE society. This is on so many different levels, the first being the ignorance that high school "populars" have with how the real world works, but the arrogance thinking they do. They will either ignore or sometimes even take it upon themselves to "teach" the unpopulars the way they should act, even though in a scant few years, every single thing they ever did in high school will be utterly meaningless except, gasp, the actual studying. Being queen of the dance won't impress anyone, and with every one of your friends spread thin throughout society, it becomes clear that being popular in school does not translate at all to the masses who just don't care at all about you (nor should they).

I just ignored people, pretty much... not exactly a way to be popular for sure, but I didn't exactly care about that. :) So I had one friend... so? :)

Anyway, that is partially true, but it is true that far too often the real world does work like high school popularity... that is, you win things based on popularity (read: high school class elections!), and not based on actual issues...

Quote:That said, I did enjoy the chance to learn at least, when the other stuff didn't hinder the experience. You may get the impression that I'm rather opinionated about the way school operates these days, well yes, yes I am. The entire K-12 experience was an aweful time and I'm glad it's over, and I'm a little upset that I know there are better ways to go about it and that current methods could easily be abandoned, like gym, and replaced with better ones but aren't. The adult world has it's problems but even at the worst times I've had in recent years, it was nothing like that. The most I can say is that I had a loving home and that the few teachers that apparently didn't have the same experience I had in school saying things like "these are the greatest times you'll have in life" must be real losers because my life right now is a LOT better.

I've definitely always enjoyed classes, which is probably why I have good memories overall of highschool... some good classes. :) (had a perfect attendance record in highschool too...)

Basically the main thing that I liked about it over college is the added structure... oh sure college is nice, but it's harder for me to do well without more structure making me do things...

You know it's August when... - Dark Jaguar - 18th August 2006

Let the parents worry about the health things. Forcing kids to run on hamster wheels isn't what I would call an effective method of governing. Obesity starts in the home. Plus, the overweight thing is blown way out of proportion. There are issues, but they can be dealt with easily enough with some self restraint. Or, you can always tease someone into a smaller dress size. There's nothing like saying "and if that doesn't fit you can exchange it for a larger size" to someone and watching the fun.

You know it's August when... - Great Rumbler - 18th August 2006

Quote:DJ, high school isn't as bad for that stuff than Junior High was, though... Jr. High is the worst, high school definitely had its bad points but it was a definite improvement...

Absolutely not. Jr. High had volleyball and dodgeball and that's something that can never be replaced.

You know it's August when... - Dark Lord Neo - 18th August 2006

I actually want to go back to school, though I will miss being able to say that I technically work for the Cuban government. It's quite fun.

I'm going to laugh when the Alberta economy crashes. All the idiots here will probably blame Ottawa like they always do. They'll blame the Liberals even though they aren't in power in Ottawa at the moment and despite the fact taht natural resources are a provincial matter.

Are you going to school Fittisize?

Quote:Let the parents worry about the health things. Forcing kids to run on hamster wheels isn't what I would call an effective method of governing. Obesity starts in the home. Plus, the overweight thing is blown way out of proportion. There are issues, but they can be dealt with easily enough with some self restraint. Or, you can always tease someone into a smaller dress size. There's nothing like saying "and if that doesn't fit you can exchange it for a larger size" to someone and watching the fun.

I disagree, the articles that say that obesity is the next major health crisis for Americans and continue on to say that in the future people will say 'you should have done more but did nothing' may be somewhat alarmist, but there is real science behind them, and having children not excercise in school would not exactly be setting a good example... yes everything starts in the home, but one purpose of school is showing people viewpoints you do not get at home. You cannot expect parents to be perfect, after all...

You know it's August when... - Weltall - 18th August 2006

But the schools should not be parents, either. Schools are a place for children to absorb academic information.

Besides, all I remember Phys Ed being was a chance for the dumb kids to boost their GPA. Personally, I had Phys Ed up until the tenth grade, and it did nothing to prevent my obesity. I would have suffered none by skipping it altogether and instead taking a class that would have been more worth my time. It did nothing to prevent anyone's obesity. Not one fat kid I ever knew in school was ever changed in any appreciable way by being forced to take Phys Ed, except that their self-esteem was further lowered by seeing them (hell, us) always being the last ones to finish mile runs, always being the worst baseball players, always being unable to perform a single pull-up. All it did was single us out as the rejects we were. If the program were truly designed to help us fat kids shed pounds and become more fit, I'd be more okay with it (though I will to my dying day dislike mandatory Phys Ed in principle), but it's not like that. Phys Ed is designed to benefit the students who need it the least, and always has been. The kids who can run a mile in six minutes are already obviously fit and gain little from forty more minutes of activity, and the kids who can't do it in fifteen minutes aren't given a real chance to improve because physical improvement comes by fitness training, proper diet, and repetitious exercise, not by playing skill games like basketball and field hockey. Hey, great for the kids who are naturally gifted in such activities, but a complete waste of time for those who are not.

You know it's August when... - The Former DMiller - 18th August 2006

I guess your phys. ed. experience depends on the program. At my high school the first two years were mostly weight training and cardio work, and teaching us how to create a fitness plan. The last two years of high school you got to choose which PE class to take so if you didn't want to play sports like basketball you didn't have too. Illinois is a lot different than other states when it comes to PE, though, because I think it's the only state where every school is required to have PE and there is actually a state-wide curriculum for PE.

While in elementary school and Jr. High it was weekly, I'm pretty sure, in high school all we needed was two semesters of gym, generally done with one semester in your first year and one in your second... in the other half of your freshman year you generally took health, the most worthless and stupid class ever.

You know it's August when... - Fittisize - 18th August 2006

Dark Lord Neo Wrote:Are you going to school Fittisize?

Eventually. I'm eligible for most courses at U of A and U of C but there are still some things I need to do before I go back to school.

You know it's August when... - Dark Jaguar - 19th August 2006

Ah yes, and there's the fact that there's no evidence PE is even effective in keeping kids healthy.

Anyway, articles in the news are no replacement for studies in scientific papers. That's what'll tell us if there's a growing epidemic of lard arse on our hands.