Tendo City
XBox 360 Harddisk hack - Printable Version

+- Tendo City (https://www.tendocity.net)
+-- Forum: Tendo City: Metropolitan District (https://www.tendocity.net/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+--- Forum: Ramble City (https://www.tendocity.net/forumdisplay.php?fid=44)
+--- Thread: XBox 360 Harddisk hack (/showthread.php?tid=3914)

XBox 360 Harddisk hack - Dark Jaguar - 24th July 2006

Should have guessed as much... The unseemly shape and slot of the 360 hard disk hides a standard hard disk inside.

http://360gamesaves.com/

And with a small program, it can be easily installed and browsed. I think the next step is a way to get a higher capacity drive into the system (in other words, creating a partition compatible with it using similar software on another SATA drive).

At any rate, my main interest right now is getting my old XBox saves onto the new system. Unfortunatly, the method they have now has some major problems (for example, the need for certain hardware and the inability to transfer certain saves that are "locked"). I suppose this MIGHT support the XBox 1 hard disk as well? That would make things easier if I gut my XBox for the hard disk within.

Of course in the end MS just needs to provide a software solution to this problem. It is well within their capability to do so. As I described earlier, MS screwed up by making the new card ports on the 360 incompatible with the original (especially since there are in fact 64 MB memory cards for the original box), but they can make up for that now. Just patch both the 360 and the original XBox with a new option called "link to XBox/XBox 360" where it will attempt to find the opposing system somewhere on the local network (just like both find other systems in system link mode in various games), and once this occurs, the user simply OK's the link on both systems and goes to whatever system they want to send files to and moves/copies all the data they want over (move will be available for ALL data, copy only for data that is not "data locked"). Bam, problem solved and data transferred. I'm really surprised they haven't already done this. Did they fire everyone who has access to what's needed to patch the original XBox at some point?

XBox 360 Harddisk hack - A Black Falcon - 24th July 2006

http://us.codejunkies.com/news_reviews.asp?c=US&cr=USD&cs=$&r=0&l=1&p=10&i=9014&s=8

This is pretty much the exact same method, except without the need to buy one of those accessories (you can just remove the hard drive and snap it into your computer). It still requires the XBox 1 docking station though. Plus, there's a lot of effort required. Both cost money, one costs a little less but requires a lot of effort and a voided warrentee. Either way, MS really needs to fix this issue.

XBox 360 Harddisk hack - etoven - 24th July 2006

I see great hacking opportunities with this device.
Maybe Linux on a 360... Hmmmmmm.

They stuck Linux on an XBox, so why not?

Personally though, I'd rather avoid the hassle of that. Very small hard drive (compaired to my current needs) and the fact that my computer... exists... negates the need for something like that.

What I do eventually intend on getting is wireless rechargeble awesome. So far there are only a few methods of doing that. The first is a metal place you sit your wireless devices (designed for the device) on. The problem is that the metal plate now has to be wired to something. They are perfectly safe by the way, contrary to what you might think, because of the fact that a digital signal needs to be sent through the plate before an actual connection can take place and that higher level electricty ONLY can connect to the device in question. Spilling ocean water all over it and rolling around nude is perfectly safe (too many connection points = cutoff). Again though, there are the downsides. The other is a device emitting a magnetic field so it can use the standard induction method of recharging it. The field is small though, and so it has the same issues as the metal pad (it has to be hooked up). Either one would be fine if you were setting up a table far away from your TV though. Neither one would do for real-time recharging of a controller though. At any rate, I'll say right now that if someone was dumb enough to make a powerful 50 foot magnetic field for recharging devices, I think I'd have to hurt them. Not even our most powerful magnetic fields could stop The Human, but they sure could erase all my hard disks and screw up my CRT screens (as well as cause major interference).

Quote:(especially since there are in fact 64 MB memory cards for the original box)

Uh, aren't Xbox memcards 8MB, just like PS2 ones are (and "1019" GC cards are)? Yeah, I'm pretty sure that they are. No one had 64MB memcards in 2001...

Also, remember that even if the cards were compatible some games couldn't be transferred either because the save files were not movable or because they were too large for the card... some form of HDD transfer would be required for a full copy.

Unofficial memory cards are 64 MB, but yes the official ones are 8 MB. They tried making larger cards for the PS2 as well (3rd parties) but quickly found that while the PS2 SAW the extra space, it still wouldn't actually let you use it.

And your second point drives home that even that would not have been a full solution. It just would have been MS's way of saying "we did our part, now yell at the guys who made those games!". It could have covered their arses and put the gaze of the masses on companies like Bioware.

And yes, a transfer add-on to both system's software is what is really needed, as I described above.

And I linked a company that is selling one. It's just expensive...

That is a hardware addon. I was talking about a software addon. The method I described would be totally free aside from the cost in programming labor on their end (and that XBox Live subscription money should be plenty to pay for that) and would work fine, if a tad on the awkward side.

Oh and, I think there may be a problem with linux on the 360 I hadn't thought of. Even without the hard drive, the 360's OS is built right into the firmware. Like the PSP, that means it is the FIRMWARE that needs to be hacked, because it doesn't run much software off the HD. What it does run are the backwards compatible data packs for emulation of specific games and also specific games stored on it. I'm pretty sure each and every one of those games has to be digitally signed to run. If that's the case, barring some sort of exploit or other security oversight, it'll require some sort of mod chipping to actually get linux on the thing, and at that point you can bet you'll get kicked off of XBox Live for having modded hardware.

Funny story, after Halo 2 came out, as well as a few of the map packs, I was playing an online game with a few of my friends against some team of cheaters. Not all of them were cheaters, but enough of them were. It became embarrisingly apparent that there was a REASON they were cheating. Well, they had two odd hacks (which I'm surprised went unnoticed server or client side). One was that one of them was "the flash" as we dubbed him. The guy was a speedster. The other was that any warthog 3 of them got into could be flown like a banshee, but also had the turrent and 3 person capacity of the warthog. Anyway, they almost lost to us once we actually caught on. One particular moment saw me right below them as they flew back to their base with a flag and one well placed rocket later, a flaming wreckage of shame came tumbling out of the sky. The other moment involved my friends keeping flash occupied with sniper fire as I actually managed to lead my shots enough to just kill the idiot over and over again. If they actually could play well, this cheating would have easily beaten us. As it stood though, they still won but only by a single point and only because of the time it took us to catch on to what they were doing. Anyway, one "cheat report" later, they were banned and soon after a patch was sent out which may have been intended to detect these sorts of cheating.