Tendo City
It's hot. - Printable Version

+- Tendo City (https://www.tendocity.net)
+-- Forum: Tendo City: Metropolitan District (https://www.tendocity.net/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+--- Forum: Ramble City (https://www.tendocity.net/forumdisplay.php?fid=44)
+--- Thread: It's hot. (/showthread.php?tid=3896)

It's hot. - Great Rumbler - 16th July 2006

And it's not dry heat either, but the wet heat that makes you sweat by the bucket load and you get all sticky and uncomfortable when you go outside. That having been said, it hasn't rained here any significant amount in MONTHS.

Current temperature = 104º F

It's hot. - A Black Falcon - 16th July 2006

90 degrees today, very hot... :( (remember that Maine, to my knowledge, has never reached 100 degrees - this is hot.)

It's hot. - The Former DMiller - 16th July 2006

It was 98º here, and we had our move-in day for our 3rd session residential campers. That would be fine if the dorms were air-conditioned, but, alas, we had to deal with parents complaining that their kids had to deal with this heat and they had to go out and buy fans.

It's hot. - Fittisize - 16th July 2006

Topped off at 31º here, and I believe it was up to 35 a week ago.

It's hot. - EdenMaster - 20th July 2006

Celsius sucks.

It's hot. - A Black Falcon - 20th July 2006

Quote:Celsius sucks.

Quote:Topped off at 31º here, and I believe it was up to 35 a week ago.

Those numbers mean something, but I don't know exactly what... :)

It's hot. - N-Man - 20th July 2006

I work in a warehouse and it's hot and humid and dusty and oh god

But they give me so much money, how can I refuse?

It's hot. - Dark Jaguar - 20th July 2006

A Black Falcon Wrote:Those numbers mean something, but I don't know exactly what... :)

They mean it's fairly hot, but not quite up to what we get in the OK. Yes, it's hot, it's "if you are riding in a vehicle that just started, you can count on the air conditioner finally taking noticable hold just as you arrive at your destination" hot. It is the sort of heat that beats down on you, oppressive, makes you tired the very instant you step outside and the trip to get the mail becomes death march like, the sort of thing that is the very reason people didn't really occupy Oklahoma until they learned how to ship ice great distances.

It's hot. - Great Rumbler - 20th July 2006

I worked outside for about twenty minutes today and by the time I got done, I was absolutely drenched in sweat.

It could be worse. You could have NOT been drenched in sweat, if you follow me.

It's hot. - Great Rumbler - 20th July 2006

Fair enough.

It's hot. - Weltall - 20th July 2006

Dark Jaguar Wrote:the sort of thing that is the very reason people didn't really occupy Oklahoma until they learned how to ship ice great distances.
For the life of me, I can't figure out why anyone would bother even with readily-available ice.

Oh yeah welll..... okay I honestly have to agree. This place is dumpwater USA.

It's hot. - Great Rumbler - 21st July 2006

Brings lots of air conditioners!

It's hot. - etoven - 21st July 2006

<script src='http://voap.weather.com/weather/oap/23114?template=HOMEH&par=null&unit=0&key=e41182d5fbbd7c1faa447dd7174b0125'></script>

It's hot. - A Black Falcon - 21st July 2006

There's a thunderstorm now, so it's 75 degrees...

It's hot. - Great Rumbler - 21st July 2006

<script src='http://voap.weather.com/weather/oap/74747?template=HOMEH&par=null&unit=0&key=e41182d5fbbd7c1faa447dd7174b0125'></script>

It's hot. - Private Hudson - 21st July 2006

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Celcius

Fahrenheit -> Celsius °C = (°F – 32) / 1.8

And obviously:

Celsius -> Fahrenheit °F = °C × 1.8 + 32

And I can say that 104F is scorching hot. It's extremely rare that it would make it up to that temperature in my city. I'm fairly positive that it'd be considered a heat wave, and anyone attending school would be allowed the day off. At least that's what the rumour was when I was still in school.

It's hot. - A Black Falcon - 21st July 2006

Somewhere around 20% of the energy produced in the US is used up by air conditioning...

It's hot. - Dark Lord Neo - 22nd July 2006

It was 35.1°C today, or 95.2°F. THe hottest temperature ever recorded here was something like 37°C

It's hot. - Great Rumbler - 23rd July 2006

It's actually not that hot today...

It's hot. - Dark Jaguar - 23rd July 2006

A Black Falcon Wrote:Somewhere around 20% of the energy produced in the US is used up by air conditioning...

Very true, and with good reason. It would be nice to make it more efficient, but there's not too much wiggle room. Forcibly moving heat from two equal temp locations (and as it goes on, from a cooler location to a warmer location) just requires a lot of energy.

A thought I had is that while a modern home with "all the trimmings" (as opposed to your grandfather's house where lighting one room at a time and a half hour of TV a week are about all the energy hogging he requires) simply can't be sustained by today's solar panel tech (and the fact is no matter how advanced we get, even at 100% efficiency (which is impossible anyway though we can get close) there is only so much sunlight in any given area). BUT, I think maybe a single device could be run off a large number of panels. Since air conditioning (and heating too, we use a LOT of energy heating our homes in winter) use so much, MAYBE we could get the devices running exclusively on a roof coated in said panels (more panels for bigger houses mean more energy to go around, perhaps). Of course, this is just an idea for a way to save energy, and it would also require people WANTING to buy that instead of going off the grid.

Another possibility is nuclear energy. That's very clean, with FAR less tonage of waste (though the waste is more dangerous) than coal or oil energy, and ALL nuclear plant waste can be sequestered away, and far better now with the tech we have it simply isn't a threat when locked into a sort of foam structure. Even if that's cracked it still isn't a danger. The main issue there is psychology. After the distaster of Chernobyl (sp?), no one trusts the stuff. There's good reason to be scared of such an accident, that's why they need to be run well and monitered at all times. However, nuclear plants aren't the only ones that can have accidents. I seem to recall massive oil spills and other such things, and unlike fossile fuels nuclear, even with that horrific event, wasn't a global environment shift that ends all human life. Also, a lot of people seem to be afraid the mere presence of such a plant exposes people to unhealthy doses of radiation. Not accurate. A well run plant emits next to zero radiation, and often enough that next to is zero. You can stand staring directly at one of the reactors at the bottom of a radiation absorbing pool of water and be perfectly safe and still able to reproduce. You get more radiation sleeping next to someone in bed than from living by a well run nuclear power plant. You also get more smoke living with a smoker than living next to a well run fossil fuel plant, but those usually aren't nearly as clean as nuclear. Further, new techs for harvesting the materials needed basically recycle the stuff until all that's left is safe to hold in your hand, so long as you don't eat it (then it, like all heavy metals, will bond to your bones, and that's poisonous for reasons besides radiation anyway). Further, all studies regarding nuclear plants and various diseases in various communities show no increase in the rates of cancer and other illnesses in communities living in plants compaired to other towns not anywhere near said plants. But, again it's psychology. If someone is living by a plant in fear and they happen to get cancer (even if there's no way to trace it to the plant and no evidence that living next to one causes an increase in cancer cases), it's immediatly the plant's fault.

The last danger often cited is that if the materials are hijacked, they can be turned into weapons. That's true, but it's also true that someone can infiltrate a fossil fuel plant and sabotage the whole thing making that into an attack of Midgar proportions.

Anyway, the only other issue is cost of building it. About the same as the cost of building other solutions.

Anyway, I offer nuclear because it's about the only thing that really seems to answer ALL the issues of not using fossil fuels. Wind would be nice (and unlike a lot of people I personally wouldn't see huge fields of them as ugly), but it's not as efficient, requires a lot more space, is as expensive as other methods to originally build, and is not nearly as stable a source of energy due to the fact that wind can start and stop blowing or change direction (especially true in Oklahoma). Solar pannels, even at their best, will require a lot of space themselves and they too will fluctuate, every single night in fact, and also when cloudy. Using vast battery stores to make up for this would also cost a massive amount.

Nuclear, if you ask me, is the best option right now. The rest is either a pipe dream or something that isn't up to the level it needs to be at just yet, but we might look into it later.