Tendo City
Is NickdaddyG gay? - Printable Version

+- Tendo City (https://www.tendocity.net)
+-- Forum: Tendo City: Metropolitan District (https://www.tendocity.net/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+--- Forum: Ramble City (https://www.tendocity.net/forumdisplay.php?fid=44)
+--- Thread: Is NickdaddyG gay? (/showthread.php?tid=382)

Is NickdaddyG gay? - Private Hudson - 4th March 2003

Clique

This would actually be funny if he was here to be offended by this..

Is NickdaddyG gay? - A Black Falcon - 4th March 2003

Yeah, he seems to have left us... oh how sad...

Is NickdaddyG gay? - Weltall - 4th March 2003

That might have been funny if it didn't cause a dozen popups to appear.

There weren't any popups...

Oh wait, I have Netscape's built-in smart popup blocker! :)

Is NickdaddyG gay? - Dark Jaguar - 4th March 2003

Heh, "smart"...

I noticed not a pop-up as well, but hey that's because I got a little IE plugin called pop-up stopper pro.

Well... not exactly smart. It just lets you make a list of sites to exempt and allow popups from...

Is NickdaddyG gay? - OB1 - 4th March 2003

That is so old, Hudson.

Same with mine.

Erm

Yours has a exception list too? That's nice... I tried one and it was really annoying -- since I use Netscape Messenger for AIM, and its really built in to the browser, anytime i tried to open a chat window the popup killer killed it unless I held down whatever key you had to...
Oh, and the builtin NS7 popup killer either lets you make a list of sites to except and block everything from all the others, or make a list of sites to block and accept all others... though I have no idea why anyone would use the latter of those...

Yeah same here, and in fact, most things with block lists have that sort of option.

Pop-up stopper is one of the best blocker utilities I've seen. In fact, I used to just put up with pop-ups even when I knew there were blocker programs out there simply because of how bad they all were. Most of them would run in the background instead of ONLY when an IE window is open, which takes up resources. A good number were also spyware programs, and many even loaded pop-up windows of their own while blocking others. This has none of those flaws, and is in fact pretty cheap to boot. It's certainly worth a couple of bucks NOT to be annoyed. I just recently updated by the way. Anyway, it's only got two flaws in this version. One, it installs with the option to play a sound when a pop-up is blocked turned on. On sites like the one in this thread that leads to about a million annoying clicks. However, I just turned that option off the first time I ran it, so the only flaw is that it's on when it's installed :D. The other one is an actual flaw, with that being that it ONLY prevents pop-ups for the browser it's installed in, so if I were to install Netscape for some weird reason I'd have to install it again. So, for other things I have, like AIM and such, not a single pop-up is blocked. No issue though, because I use IE exclusivly for net surfing, and I don't really want other stuff to get things blocked, like for instance AIM message windows :D. There's an alternate version that does do a universal block, but that has to be running in the background all the time, and I hate adding programs to startup. I still maintain having ONLY the speaker icon and clock up in my system tray, with me maybe adding antivirus software in the future, which I usually end up doing a while after a fresh install.

Anyway, I suspect that my stopper software works exactly the same as the one that's native in Netscape. It seems you have a native version of AIM in there too, explaining why it worked on an "outside" pop-up.

There's one thing you may or may not know about ABF. There's a little service running in XP that while originally intended for simple messaging between networked computers is now being used for pop-ups even when you aren't surfing. Just disable this "messenger" service and that bit of annoyance is stopped forever.

Oh by the way, at the pop-up stopper site they recommended this piece of software that detects all sorts of spyware when you run it. Of course I didn't set it up to run at startup or in the background for reasons I've stated already, but it's very nice. I've found a couple annoying programs I wasn't aware were autoinstalled, and promptly removed them (like this annoying "save now" program). You can find it here... http://spybot.eon.net.au/index.php?lang=en&page=knowledgebase/getstarted

Is NickdaddyG gay? - Weltall - 4th March 2003

I don't use IE anymore, because it's been having problems that I can't seem to fix. I use Mozilla, which is essentially Nutscrape, and while it claims that it blocks popups, I so far have not seen it block any yet.

All in all though it's better than that horrid NS6.

Is NickdaddyG gay? - Italian_Pyro - 4th March 2003

no, he likes cars

Mozilla and Netscape 7 are nearly identical... NS7 just has a cooler interface and a bunch of stuff bundled with it (Composer for making webpages with no programming, the email program, and Netscape Messenger, NS's builtin (it is actually a part of the browser... you can launch it in the browser and if you close Netscape fully it closes AIM/ICQ too... so chat windows were treated as "popups" by that moronic popup blocking software I tried once. That got me to figure out how to use NS7's internal blocker REALLY fast... their own blocker of course doesn't block anything other than popups (of course it doesn't work in Explorer, but who cares? IE is a no-good browser compared to NS or Mozilla...)...) AIM/ICQ client)... I use NS7 but Mozilla is just as good. TABBED BROWSING IS AWESOME!

Oh... Weltall, you probably have to find the popup blocking option in the program options and turn it on... its not on by default. In NS7 they bury the option in the program's Privacy and Security section of the Preferences window... I don't know where it is in Mozilla, but it's there somewhere.

Oh, and I fully agree that NS6 was horrid. It was really bad... I don't know what they were thinking... at least 7 is a great browser like 4 and previous were years ago.

Oh... poor DJ. You PAID to get popup blocking instead of using FREE Netscape or Mozilla? Poor child... I guess you have yet to experience how great tabbed browsing is...

I didn't pay :D. My dad did :D. I would have the non-pro version (not sure what it's limitations are) if I couldn't get it for free.

Anyway, what is this "tabbed browsing" you speak of? If it's what it sounds like, it's some method of surfing multiple pages via a tab interface. Is this correct? Aside from this mysterious thing, you haven't really listed a thing that makes Netscape more attractive than what I got, and I strive to avoid downloading software I don't need (except games of course). I already have two good html editors (visual studio .net and wordpad :D), which I can run seperatly. I also have AIM and several other messaging services that also, I can run seperatly. I FAR prefer it when various different program components can be run on their own than when they MUST have some other thing running.

Ignoring these built in software bits (which as I said are both redundant and less usable than what I have), please tell me all the features Netscape has that IE does not (I already know about the popupstopper, no need to include that one). If you make a good case, I think I'll switch. I only pick IE at the moment because it was already there and I'd be wasting space to install what I think is pretty much exactly the same thing functionally when I can't remove IE. Oh, look means nothing to me, so don't say anything regarding that.

You know though, if I'm going to look into Netscape, I'll have to check out Opera too.

One thing, how do these companies make money at ALL?

Quote:One thing, how do these companies make money at ALL?

Netscape? Its part of AOL Time Warner... I bet it loses money though... I see no way it makes any. Mozilla is Netscape, but opensource and simpler. And Opera charges people for the full version of the browser...

Oh, and Tabbed Browsing is REALLY great... but hard to explain. Netscape 7, Mozilla, and Opera all have it... try one of those. If you don't like extras in the browser, then I'd recommend Mozilla...

Also... Netscape Composer isn't a great webpage maker, but it works and requrires no HTML...

Also, there's a option to block or allow cookies... IE has cookies On or Off. Or you must say yes or no every time you get one. In Netscape there's a 4th option -- one where it gives that same 'do you want to accept the cookie' box as usual, but it remembers you decision and keeps a list of which sites' cookies are accepted and rejected... unlike IE where you can't do that. Its great... I reject all cookies except for ones that I know do something -- forums, etc... and it remembers it! Nice...

But tabbed browsing is the main feature. I find it really hard to go back to IE now... I'm so used to the tabs and being able to center-click to open a link in a new tab (a option in the preferences that I turned on... and use a lot...)... IE is a HUGE step back.

That cookie thing sounds like a nice feature.

However, even if you find it hard to explain, could you try to explain tabbed browsing to me? I haven't even the slightest idea if I was right or wrong in my theory there. I don't wish to go through installing something just to find out about a feature if I can help it.

Is NickdaddyG gay? - geoboy - 4th March 2003

Weltall: to block pop-ups in Mozilla, go to Edit -> Preferences, then expand the "Advanced" tree in the left-hand panel and select "Scripts and Plugins". Finally, uncheck the box that says "open unrequested windows". While you're there, you may wanna click on "tabbed browsing" under the "Navigator" tree and put a check next to "load links in the background". You have no idea how much that enhances the tabbed browsing feature. Beats the hell out of me why they didn't have that enabled by default. Now you can surf like a pro! (Man, that sounded cheesey)

And DJ, tabbed browsing essentially eliminates taskbar clutter by keeping all the pages you have open within the browser. I use it here on Tendo City. What I do is click and drag the links to all the topics I wanna read as well as other websites into the tabbed menu bar. It really speeds up your browsing because you don't have to press the back button or load another page to find the next topic you wanna read. Very convenient, it is.

So it's exactly what I thought it was? Hmm, sounds interesting anyway.

That's a total of two extras Netscape has that IE doesn't, at least ones that I don't have installed seperatly (most of those being ones I WANT seperate from my browser).

Try tabbed browsing... once you do as I said there's no going back. Clicking on those tabs is a thousand times easier than going down to the taskbar constantly to switch windows... and making it open in a new tab with a middle click (or a left click if you want) is GREAT!!!!

I go UP to the task bar, and I don't even do that, I alt-tab switch. Once I learned that keyboard combo I never bothered using the mouse, too slow.

However, if what you say is accurate, it's also VERY familiar. It's likely just like wheel scrolling on a mouse. Something I think is pointless, then I actually use one, then I can't go back.

Pfft.

Quote:Something I think is pointless, then I actually use one, then I can't go back.

Exactly. Once you adjust there's no going back. The first time I used tabbed browsing (in Mozilla for Linux), I didn't get it... why open it in tabs? New windows are just fine... (and by the way I do use the startmenu... and I have it on Autohide (I HATE the taskbar always on the screen!) so it takes time... but tabs don't. The buttons for the tabs are always on the screen... its SO EASY to open things in new ones (DEFINITELY enable either middle-click or left-click for new window)... and switching between them is easy.

Also, you'll be amazed how nice the taskbar (or alt-tab menu) looks with just ONE webbrowser application running and not four or 5 (or ten... :D )cluttering it up!

Yeah I know the look, in fact usually I have nothing up there, and revel in my optimicity. I too can't stand it taking up that space, it autohides. I used to always turn off always on top, until I found out how well the combination of auto hide and always on top is.

Anyway, I still prefer my instant messanger and email and html editor to be seperate programs, because I use them seperatly as opposed to all at once most of the time.

However, these two features (personalized cookies and tab surfing) are indeed interesting ones. Right now, they are merely interesting though.

Autohide + Always On Top is the only way Windows should ever be run... with the taskbar at the bottom of the screen of course.

Oh, and I use Netscape for webbrowsing/creating and AIM (not MSN of course...), but not E-Mail. I use another program for that.

Oh... and its not like this is some hard decision that involves money... NS7 or Mozilla are free and not that tough to try. You should!

damn you!

Do you have an opinion, OB1, or do you just want to complain that I won't let you keep first post? :)

I keep my taskbar at the top of the screen. I have no idea why, but I've been doing it this way since my dad first installed Win95 beta. Why did I put it there then? Hmm, it just felt more natural up there, and I maintain that opinion, now and forever! *Pushes horrible memories of using MSN and the window that insists on pushing the taskbar down while at the same time I'm trying to close a maximized window who's buttoms are obscured.* I don't think I'd ever get used to putting it on the bottom after all this time... Maybe I did that to start with due to really old memories of a greyscale Mac OS...

The top??? How odd... it looks so strange up there... not as odd as it is on the sides, but odd.

and WRONG!!! :D

pfft

Evil it is, but true, TRUUUTH! YES! THAT IS THE WAY OF IT! Mhmm.. Heh...

Overdoing it there maybe DJ? :)

Tubin' in the sewers is all... What just floated by?!