Tendo City
PS3 PS2 emulation not software after all... - Printable Version

+- Tendo City (https://www.tendocity.net)
+-- Forum: Tendo City: Metropolitan District (https://www.tendocity.net/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+--- Forum: Tendo City (https://www.tendocity.net/forumdisplay.php?fid=42)
+--- Thread: PS3 PS2 emulation not software after all... (/showthread.php?tid=3817)

PS3 PS2 emulation not software after all... - A Black Falcon - 5th June 2006

http://ve3dboards.ign.com/message.asp?topic=24053987

Oh yeah, and the latest on the PS3 price: Expected to be 73,000 yen in Japan. That's $650... :)

PS3 PS2 emulation not software after all... - Great Rumbler - 5th June 2006

Software emulation on the Xbox360 was just terrible.

There are a few good software console emulation programs on the PC though... ;)

PS3 PS2 emulation not software after all... - Great Rumbler - 5th June 2006

There are ROMs on the internets?!

PS3 PS2 emulation not software after all... - Weltall - 5th June 2006

The PS2's PS1 emulation was hardware. The PS2 used a modified PS1 processor for its I/O processor function. Doutbless it's the same idea now.

PS3 PS2 emulation not software after all... - Dark Jaguar - 5th June 2006

"Was"? They are still "working on it", but I'll say this. What I've seen so far isn't pretty. There seems to be some slowdown and choppiness that wasn't there before, and also the occasional glitch here and there. Also, they altered some in-game code to prevent access to any game demos (since they would each need to be emulated seperately). This also includes Prince of Persia: Sands of Time's inclusion of the first two Prince of Persia games (double emulation? Madness!)

Plus, very few of the games I own are even supported. One PoP game, the two Halo games, Splinter Cell and... I think that's it.

And also, memory managing those games is retarded. Rather than give us an ACTUAL file system, they have this "catagory" based thing. Great, unless something doesn't fit a given category! Give me a folder tree over this catagory thing any day. I don't see an improvement, or even a reason to switch. Basically, each game is it's own individual massive ultra file. I can't go "in there" and delete individual saved data like I could normally (individual save files, downloaded content, etc). It's either all or none. Pretty silly.

So yeah, I'm keeping my original XBox, which is a shame because I'd rather have less than more at this point (it is becoming unmanagable).

Yeah, but it had been announced as software... we'll see. This report comes from a Japanese gaming magazine, I belive, so it's not definitely true... just likely, I think. (though with all the negative press and rumors about Sony these days, you never know... :))

Like, heard the one about how the X360 can make twice as many polygons as the PS3? ... because it has different architecture that allows it to make lots and lots of unshaded polygons. Which means absolutely nothing. :)

There's also a rumored memory bandwidth problem that will cripple the Cell... unless it doesn't matter, depending on who you ask...

PS3 PS2 emulation not software after all... - Dark Jaguar - 5th June 2006

I read about both of those and they are so far just unfounded rumors from someone who merely is able to claim an "overheard conversation on a plane".

PS3 PS2 emulation not software after all... - The Former DMiller - 5th June 2006

A Black Falcon Wrote:There's also a rumored memory bandwidth problem that will cripple the Cell... unless it doesn't matter, depending on who you ask...

That rumored problem was just someone misinterpreting what a certain part of PS3's memory was used for. It was a part of the memory that would hardly ever be read from so a slow read speed wasn't a big deal.

Quote:That rumored problem was just someone misinterpreting what a certain part of PS3's memory was used for. It was a part of the memory that would hardly ever be read from so a slow read speed wasn't a big deal.

Yeah, sounds about right. I don't think even Sony would mess up THAT badly... :)

PS3 PS2 emulation not software after all... - Great Rumbler - 6th June 2006

Quote:"Was"? They are still "working on it"

Not anymore.

PS3 PS2 emulation not software after all... - Dark Jaguar - 6th June 2006

Not anymore? Where'd you hear that? They announced they aren't bothering to make any more games playable on the 360 at some point? I heard they would periodically release updates on Live to make more playable.

Quote:They announced they aren't bothering to make any more games playable on the 360 at some point?

Yes.

Where?

And why do you do that? You always stop short of providing the all important link to the quote!

Quote:And why do you do that?

Probably because they'd rather spend the money on new games.

Quote:You always stop short of providing the all important link to the quote!

I read it on GAF somewhere.

Some forum somewhere? That's assuring...

And I was asking why YOU don't provide links and just say "yeah, that's right", as though that has any weight on it's own, not why MS would do such and such. There's no sense wondering why something happened until you know whether or not it happened to begin with.

PS3 PS2 emulation not software after all... - The Former DMiller - 6th June 2006

No, they aren't done making new games compatible yet.

Link

Well yeah there's a story from IGN which links to a developer blog, but GR's got SOME UNKNOWN MESSAGE BOARD POST! I'm not sure what to believe! :D

PS3 PS2 emulation not software after all... - A Black Falcon - 6th June 2006

One MS guy said that the X360's level of backwards compatibility had "underpromised and overdelivered", and that they had done enough, but then people started getting worried and other MS people had to come out and say 'no, we are working on it, the next update should be done in not too long'... :)