Tendo City
A Journey in Writing - Printable Version

+- Tendo City (https://www.tendocity.net)
+-- Forum: Tendo City: Metropolitan District (https://www.tendocity.net/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+--- Forum: Ramble City (https://www.tendocity.net/forumdisplay.php?fid=44)
+--- Thread: A Journey in Writing (/showthread.php?tid=3800)

Pages: 1 2

A Journey in Writing - Great Rumbler - 26th May 2006

A deranged sex-fiend, but a genius nonetheless. I say this on the basis that lazy has helped me quite a bit in my writing. Basically, was holding fast to my belief that I was writing my story the way it should have been and disregarding everything else. I had quite a long dialog with lazy and I was hesitant at first to take his advice. Needless to say, lazy was absolutely right and since then I've completely changed my style of writing. My story has gone from a meandering, light tale of "what would life be like in the future" to a much more mature work of scifi adventure. And it's slowly becoming somewhat depressing. But that's okay, because the story itself has a lot more potential now than it ever did before.

So, if lazy tells you do to something, then you'd better do it! Unless it's something really crazy like he says sometimes...

A Journey in Writing - Dark Jaguar - 26th May 2006

He's gone through a lot of schoolin' about story development, so it's best to listen to his opinions on storywriting. ON THE OTHER HAND, I wouldn't trust him to perform surgery on me. So long as he recognizes what he's good at from what he is not good at (a very nice skill to have), he'll be genius.

Being a genius doesn't mean your good at EVERYTHING.

A Journey in Writing - Dark Jaguar - 26th May 2006

YOU EXACTLY SAID TO LISTEN TO EVERYTHING HE SAYS EXCEPT THE REALLY CREEPY STUFF!

If lazy told me he was a heart surgeon, I would think that that was really creepy!!

A Journey in Writing - lazyfatbum - 26th May 2006

hahaha thanks GR i didnt actually change your whole style i hope, i just wanted to shed some light in to that whole not hitting a wall thing. :D

But dont forget: everything is a penis. Cigars, the train, tall women, straws, it's all penis. Ever seen people push and pull their straw through the plastic hole of their beverage? Ever seen people pet their cats "seductively"? hell yes you have, use them as weapons, assault your audience; They love it.

A Journey in Writing - N-Man - 26th May 2006

lazyfatbum Wrote:hahaha thanks GR i didnt actually change your whole style i hope, i just wanted to shed some light in to that whole not hitting a wall thing. :D

But dont forget: everything is a penis. Cigars, the train, tall women, straws, it's all penis. Ever seen people push and pull their straw through the plastic hole of their beverage? Ever seen people pet their cats "seductively"? hell yes you have, use them as weapons, assault your audience; They love it.

You're a penis, and please write to that guy who thinks Ryan is a french hip-hop artist.

A Journey in Writing - Weltall - 26th May 2006

moi?

lazy has also my style by altering my way of approaching a story and dissecting it. To listen to him narrate and summarize a story idea, even if it's something silly and completely irrelevant, is mesmerizing because he knows exactly where the pressure points are that excite your attention.

A Journey in Writing - lazyfatbum - 26th May 2006

Look if you guys want to have sex with me lets throw down right now, none of this massaging my ego thing, i want physical attention.

N-Man, i saw that and good god it's too much to pass up on it just hold your horses, or moose, or whatever.

A Journey in Writing - Great Rumbler - 27th May 2006

Quote:hahaha thanks GR i didnt actually change your whole style i hope, i just wanted to shed some light in to that whole not hitting a wall thing.

No, my writing style is still there, but talking to you about it helped me to changed the focus of my story [which really wasn't too good] and to realize that I needed more characters to interact with. Oh, and remember your idea about the "foggers"? I totally put that in my story. :)

A Journey in Writing - lazyfatbum - 27th May 2006

Sweetness, you should draw them and write up a full description and history of them! Then you can use that to drop some info on them when the characters encounter them.

A Journey in Writing - Great Rumbler - 27th May 2006

The foggers are basically contract workers for the Guild who do routine patrols through the cities and make sure only Guild members are there. Anyone they find who isn't is immediately killed. It's also hinted at that they're a bit trigger-happy and so it's best not to take any chances with them. During the first encounter nothing really happens and it nothing is explained, but the second encounter will be much different.

Also, one of the main things I changed about my story is the impetus for change. In earlier drafts, things were very aimless and Kara's only reason to do something else is because things aren't really as great as she likes to think. But, I'm changing all that. What's happening now is that the Martian government is basically starting to "shut-down" the Earth. There's no naturla resources left and the abandoned cities are being cut apart and hauled away in freighters and once that's done everyone with money is going to leave. Those that don't have money get to stay behind and fend for themselves. Also, instead of making it easy for Kara to leave, I'm going to make it very hard. She takes a contract job in the far north at an outpost [haven't worked out the purpose yet] and thing will go wrong and she'll lose every bit of the money she's saved over the years. It's basically gone from "Let's go on a fun adventure!!" to "The world's ending and there's nothing I can do about it". Although not quite THAT depressing.

A Journey in Writing - Great Rumbler - 25th June 2006

I was going through a bunch of old CDRs yesterday and I found something quiet interesting. It's the earliest draft of my story that I've yet come across. The date on the file is March 29, 2004. It's only seven pages long [prologue and parts of what is now chapter 1 and 2], it uses the original name "The Ruins of the Earth", and it's in third person. The most obvious sign is that is is sloppy, uninteresting, and just plain embarassing to read. In this draft, the prologue is barely one page. In my most recent draft, the prolgue is nearly seven pages. That's the difference that two years makes, I suppose.

Here's the prologue from the earliest draft:

Quote:With a bright flare the sun burst from behind the Earth, its light pouring out a new day to those on the surface. A large object swung lazily along its orbit around the Earth. The light from the sun finally reached it revealing it to be the orbital space station Titanus 2. It had replaced the first after it had become obsolete at the end of the 24th century. Titanus 2 held within its twin domes the largest human city in the solar system. Larger even than the great cities of Earth. It served as a departure point for Mars and the moons of Jupiter as well as a home to the more than 30 million people that lived there.
It was more than 2 miles from the tip of one dome to the other and the radius of each dome was nearly 8 miles. It was considered to be man’s greatest achievement in engineering. The complex life-support system was controlled by Octarius-D5 a specialized super computer. Octarius was specifically designed to handle almost any errors or glitches that it might encounter, but as all men know no computer is completely safe-no matter how advanced or well protected it may be.
Larsen Ortail was assigned to repair any glitches or malfunctions that Octarius might miss. It was a rare occasion when it did and usually the problem could be eliminated by a few simple keystrokes. So, it was a very boring job. It paid well, and for Larsen that was what really mattered. He glanced at a digital clock on the wall of his office; it was almost midnight down in New York City where he had lived before coming to Titanus. He rolled his chair over to the row of computers that lined one wall. All reports showed that Octarius’s status was in the green. He moved back to his desk.
He leaned back in his chair trying to fight over the sleep that was threatening to overtake him. Octarius will be fine, he thought and then fell asleep. He was awakened by the blinking red light and a slight buzzing sound. He quickly wheeled over to a monitor. It showed that a slight error had been detected but Octarius had failed to correct it. He typed a few lines of code into the keyboard. The red indicator changed back to green. He leaned back in his chair. Same thing, different day, he thought. Suddenly all the indicators began flashing red. Larsen jumped and quickly went to work. Lines of text began appearing on the monitor. He stared at it a few seconds not quite believing what he saw. Then he shook himself and feverishly began punching in lines of code, but nothing changed. He jumped up and ran to the far wall. He smashed the glass covering the emergency shut off switch. He grabbed the switch and shoved it down. Nothing happened. He stared in horror.
Larsen ran to his desk and typed in the evacuation code. He grabbed his coat and ran out into the hall. Outside the station the emergency booster rockets were slowly coming to life after being dormant since the station was first put into orbit. The boosters began firing, pushing it, pushing it straight towards the moon.

And here's the most recent:

http://www.fictionpress.com/read.php?storyid=1889956

A Journey in Writing - Great Rumbler - 28th June 2006

One of the things that I decided going into my latest rewrite, is that not enough bad things happened to Kara. She basically is just carefree and does what she wants and so on. The story as it used to be would have her going off on some grand aventure and leaving Earth behind because she could. Well, that's not very interesting, right? Let's spice things up a bit.

Okay, now the Martian goverment is shutting the Earth down because it isn't profitable anymore. Entire cities [ruined cities, by the way] are being dismantled and the parts are being shipped to Mars. Anyone left once this ends will be able to go to Mars, for a price of course and not a very cheap one. But that's okay, because Kara has ten thousands credits stashed away, so she can leave whenever she wants to.

Well, looks like her last contract job ended in the destruction of a state-of-the-art research lab. Despite not being her fault at all, her entire savings are confiscated by the government. Now she's broke. And did I mention that the city she's attached to as a member of the Explorers Guild hasn't got anything valuable left in it? Bad times indeed. She wanders through the city for a while and finally finds herself at the top of the tower she uses for scoping out the city. In a bout of deep despair she almost KILLS HERSELF.

I'm writing this thing, but it surprised even me that something like this would happen in my story. I didn't intend it at all, but it got written down anyway. It just felt like something the character would do in a time like that. I still don't know how to feel about, but I'm not going to change it.

I was listening to this song by Ray Lynch called Quandra and it fit the mood exactly. It may have even contributed to how far I took that scene.

Weird stuff really, writing.

A Journey in Writing - Great Rumbler - 30th June 2006

Updated version of Chapter 6 is now up and ready for reading. Mainly I had to change it so that it would be in line with the events of Chapter 5, which really broke from the events in the previous version. It's probably about halfway to what it needs to be, but I can always go back and change that later. I've found that everytime I do a rewrite of this book, it keeps getting better. So...I guess I'd better rewrite it about twenty more times.

I'm going to keep posting in this thread, even if no one cares!

A Journey in Writing - Great Rumbler - 3rd July 2006

Chapter 7 is now up for reading. It's pretty much the same as in the last version, but the latest one does add in the angle that she feels betrayed by the city [her only friend] because of what happens in the chapter. I also fixed a bunch of grammer errors, although I probably didn't get all of them.

A Journey in Writing - etoven - 4th July 2006

How many times are we going to rename this thread?
I haven't seen this many name changes sience mac os.

Getting back on topic (I have nothing to say) :)

A Journey in Writing - Great Rumbler - 4th July 2006

I'll keep changing it until someone takes an interest in it.

A Journey in Writing - Great Rumbler - 12th July 2006

Well, the rewrite is finally finished and I must say that it was by far the best thing that's happened to this story since I started. It's really come together and the focus of the story has become a lot more clear. Also, I think it's a lot more interesting and well written than it ever was before. More than likely it'll get another rewrite sometime, but Part 1 of the book is more or less finished.

I also finished up Chapter 10, which delves into the past of our female protagonist more so than any other chapter. It's a twist!! But it really doesn't change the story all THAT much. Give it a read and feel free to tell me what you thought about it. Or...just completely ignore it...

Also, the events in Chapter 10 were originally intended to the end of the story, but now it's closer to the half-way point.

A Journey in Writing - Great Rumbler - 14th July 2006

http://www.fictionpress.com/read.php?storyid=1889956&chapter=12

I went on a writing frenzy today and I was able to complete Chapter 11 in about two hours time, with thirty minutes or so for fixing grammar and spelling mistakes.

Kara and Aaron begin their exploration of the underground city after the revelation about Kara's past. There's some brooding on Aaron's part and some realization of purpose on Kara's part, which basically sets the course for their future.

The Foggers makes a return in this chapter, although it's much more sinister. The powers that be are no longer passive and are now taking direct action in the lives of our protagonists.

Now, reply to my thread or I shall be very cross with you guys!

A Journey in Writing - The Former DMiller - 14th July 2006

OK, I'll reply. I'm interested in the changes you've made since I last read your story, but I am just too busy during the summer to read it. Maybe i'll wait until you have it finalized to give it another read.

A Journey in Writing - Great Rumbler - 14th July 2006

Part 1 of the book should be finished by early next week. After that I'll start on Part 2 which, according to what I've conceptualized so far, will prove to be quite a bit different from the first part. Also, it will be entirely from the perspective of Aaron.

A Journey in Writing - Great Rumbler - 16th July 2006

Well, I thought it would only take one more chapter to finish off Part 1, but with Chapter 12 completed there's still a bit more left to the story that needs to be told before we can get to Part 2. Also, a new milestone has been achieved and that is the crossing of the 50,000 word barrier. Meaning that my story is now equivalent to a 200 page book.

Chapter 12 is now up for viewing.

A Journey in Writing - Weltall - 16th July 2006

I just passed the 150,000 barrier, almost 650 pages. I'm quite afraid I'll be forced to pare a lot of it away, and I don't want to, because my writer's vanity tells me every last word is precious.

Thankfully, I'm almost done.

A Journey in Writing - Great Rumbler - 16th July 2006

Quote:I'm quite afraid I'll be forced to pare a lot of it away, and I don't want to, because my writer's vanity tells me every last word is precious.

You might as well just write it how you want to.

A Journey in Writing - Weltall - 16th July 2006

I'll be damned if I don't try to get it published.

A Journey in Writing - Great Rumbler - 17th July 2006

Wouldn't it be kind of hard to get something like that published?

A Journey in Writing - Weltall - 17th July 2006

Yes. I'm going to try, nonetheless.

A Journey in Writing - lazyfatbum - 17th July 2006

There's a market for everything, GR's book has an immeadiate market, for rtan's book it needs something to keep it from getting too drawn out or boring, like edit it in to a peronal diary of th character and push the mystery aspect as far as it can go or release it in parts

Quote:or release it in parts

That's one way to do it. Publishers generally don't like long books, but releasing as a two or even three part series might be the way to go.

Oh, and I was referring more to the issue of licensing on Ryan's book rather than market...

A Journey in Writing - lazyfatbum - 17th July 2006

think about what you just said.

Okay, so it looks like I lied a little bit. Chapter 13 is completed and yet Part 1 still marches onward. I thought Chapter 12 would be enough to finish out, but once I started writing things it quickly expanded beyond what I thought it would be. I think it's a really good chapter, it has humor in the first part, some good dialog with some backstory for several characters [though mainly for Kara], and the description of leaving the Earth is quite vivid [I think]. More than likely though I'll expand some of this later, but it's complete for time being. Anyway, Chapter 13 is now up for viewing, for those who care.

Quote:think about what you just said.

Which part?

A Journey in Writing - Great Rumbler - 18th July 2006

At long last, Part 1 has finally been finished! Hooray!! From here, Part 2 will begin and take the story in a slightly different direction. As I said earlier, it will be told from Aaron's perspective, but it will also have slightly different themes and so on.

Here's the breakdown of the various parts:

Part 1: The situation on Earth, Kara and Aaron meet.
Part 2: Martian interplanetary policy and the plight of the colonies, Aaron leaves Kara behind on Mars.
Part 2: Martian culture and society [The False Utopia], Kara leaves Aaron behind to pursue her dream and reconcile the long forgotten past with the uncertain future.
Part 4: ????
Epilogue: ????

Anyway, Chapter 14 is now completed. Go and read it...for Great Justice!

A Journey in Writing - Dark Jaguar - 18th July 2006

It's like everyone here has a book in them except me.

A Journey in Writing - Great Rumbler - 18th July 2006

And it's taken me years of failed attempts at writing to get where I am right now, not to mention numerous [much shorter] test stories to get my writing ability up to a high enough level to write something worthwhile and of suitable length. I've spent over two years working on this project and gone through numerous edits and rewrites. You don't become a writer overnight.

A Journey in Writing - Great Rumbler - 21st July 2006

Chapter 15 is now complete and "Part 2: The Edge of Civilization" has begun!! *hooray!!* Anyway, the story is now going off in a completely direction. Aaron becomes the maintence assistant onboard the Alban Celeres [that's Latin, look it up] and they set off for the great unknown [Ganymede]!! From now on, the colonies will play a bigger role in the story. I'm still not sure how long part 2 is going to be, but I think it will be quite a bit shorter than part 1. But who knows?

A Journey in Writing - Great Rumbler - 21st July 2006

Just wanted to add something to all this talk about the different parts of my story. As I previously mentioned, Part 3 [Now Part 2b] is all about Kara's life on Mars. Well, I was kind of stumped about where I really wanted to go with it and it was actually making me feel a bit depressed. BUT, just within the past few minutes it's all started to come together. As I said before, all the parts are very different on tone. Well, here's how breaks down as of now:

Part 1 - Post-apocalyptic wasteland adventure
Part 2a - Deep space exploration adventure, interplantery policy
Part 2b - Full-blown space opera

To clarify, Part 2b will feature space pirates [yes, space pirates!], large-scale space battles, far-flung outposts made of space srap at the edge of the solar system, military rank, and heroic sacrifice [maybe]. That's right. Space opera, baby!

I really want to hurry up and finish Part 2a so I can start on Part 2b. :(

A Journey in Writing - Great Rumbler - 22nd July 2006

Okay, Chapter 16: Glittering in the Dark is now up for viewing. "The Project" from one of the previous chapters makes a reappearance in this chapter and Martain policy towards the colonies is shown rather bluntly.

A Journey in Writing - Great Rumbler - 24th July 2006

Chapter 17: Breaking the Saturn Blockade is now ready to be read. It features a daring blockade run and a particularly exciting bit where a ships crashes into Titan [one of Saturn's moons].

I'm really beginning to notice just how much different my story is becoming now that Part 2 is in full swing. Before, a lot of things happened within span of about three months, but now six months can go by where almost nothing at all happens. And the entire scope of the story has expanded exponentially. Before it was just a little adventure tale about two people who in a ruined city on Earth, but now we've huge space battles and the fate of the lunar colonies hangs in the balance as our brave heroes on board the Alban Celeres put their lives on the line to make a difference. Part 2b will go into the other side of the equation and focus of Mars and the various fleets. Part 3 will prove to be even more different, but I won't go into that just yet.

A Journey in Writing - etoven - 24th July 2006

Dark Jaguar Wrote:It's like everyone here has a book in them except me.
I had a book written about me... does that count?

It was about the lives of certain college students and an excerpt of my life's story was a chapter. I should create my own book though, my life truley is better than fiction.

A Journey in Writing - Great Rumbler - 26th July 2006

Chapter 18: Grounded on Titan is now complete and has been placed on FictionPress to be read by all [yeah, right]. It's a change of pace from the rest of Part 2 and slows things down quite a bit.

With the addition of this chapter I am now only 5,000 words away from my current goal of 75,000.

A Journey in Writing - Great Rumbler - 28th July 2006

Chapter 19: Dangerous Knowledge is now ready for reading. It it's been more introspective than the other chapters, which have been heavy on action and detail of the various locations. I think it was necessary to slow things down a bit though, unlike in previous chapters where months pass by with little comment. One more chapter will probably be enough to finish off Part 2a, but then again, I said that several times about Part 1...

A Journey in Writing - Great Rumbler - 30th July 2006

Chapter 20: In Development has been posted to FictionPress. It bring to a close Part 2a: At the Edge of Civilization as well as Aaron's solo adventure.

Also, a major milestone in the writing of this story has finally been achieved. My story is now over 75,000 words, or aproximately equivalent to 300 pages. My previous goal had been, against all odds, to get to 75,000 by the end of the story. As things stand now, I think I can almost double that. I can tell you right now that, Part 3 is going to be a major departure from the rest of the series in at least two key ways.

Of course, before I can get to Part 3, I have to power through Part 2b, which details Kara's actions for the same time period as Part 2a. It's going to be good, I think.

A Journey in Writing - Great Rumbler - 1st August 2006

Chapter 21 - Mars 101 is now complete. It's basically an overview of the Martian world. Not particularly important in terms of the rest of the story, but it provides a nice introduction to Part 2b.

A Journey in Writing - Great Rumbler - 20th August 2006

Since the last post I've added 3 more chapters, the first in Part 2b.

A Journey in Writing - Weltall - 1st September 2006

I still haven't gotten around to reading much yet, but I do like what I've seen so far.

I did read your poem "Iron Town", though, and I loved it. A lot. So, with the images in my head, I made something to go along with it:

<object height="374" width="450">

<embed src="http://backend.deviantart.com/embed/view.swf" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" flashvars="id=39101246" height="374" width="450"></object>
Iron Town by ~gangsteroflove on deviantART

A Journey in Writing - Great Rumbler - 4th September 2006

That's pretty good.

A Journey in Writing - Great Rumbler - 10th November 2006

Not that anyone cares, but I crossed an important milestone today! Just a few minutes ago in fact! As of this very moment, my novel has approximately 100,063 words meaning that it would take up about 400 pages. GLEE!!

Also, I added the finishing touches to what is, so far, the darkest of my story's chapters. Suffice it to say, what appears in this chapter is not particularly pleasant. But, hey, life's not a pleasant thing!

A Journey in Writing - Weltall - 10th November 2006

That's a hell of a mile-stone. 60,000 makes a novel, after all.

I'd ask if you were participating in NaNoWriMo, but I assume you are not. I tried, but the story I started kinda fizzled.

A Journey in Writing - Great Rumbler - 10th November 2006

I can barely find the time, or so it seems, to work on my main project right now, so I don't think I've got the time to work on a 50,000 word story during the course of November. So, in answer to your question, no I am not in NaNoWriMo.

Quote:That's a hell of a mile-stone. 60,000 makes a novel, after all.

Yeah, and I think I can probably double my current word-count with what I've got planned out. My main goal at present is to get enough material to split the story into books.

By the way, since July 26th, I've added nearly 30,000 words to my story or approximately 280 words a day. The odd thing about that is for the past two and a half months I've written next to nothing!!