Tendo City
Do you like Blade Runner? - Printable Version

+- Tendo City (https://www.tendocity.net)
+-- Forum: Tendo City: Metropolitan District (https://www.tendocity.net/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+--- Forum: Ramble City (https://www.tendocity.net/forumdisplay.php?fid=44)
+--- Thread: Do you like Blade Runner? (/showthread.php?tid=3799)

Do you like Blade Runner? - Great Rumbler - 26th May 2006

Quote:Warner Home Video has disentangled the rights issues for Blade Runner to pave the way for a September reissue of the remastered "Director's Cut" version, followed by a theatrical release of a version promised to be truly Ridley Scott's final cut.

Variety says that Warner's rights to Blade Runner lapsed a year ago, but the studio has since negotiated a long-term license. The film, now considered a sci-fi classic, has had a troubled history from the start: When Scott ran overbudget, completion bond guarantors took control of it and made substantial changes before its 1982 theatrical release, adding a voiceover and happy ending. That version was replaced by the much better-received director's cut in 1992, but Scott has long been unhappy with it, complaining that he was rushed and unable to give it proper attention.

The helmer started working on the final cut version in 2000, but that project was shelved by Warner soon after, apparently because the studio couldn't come to terms with Jerry Perenchio over rights issues.

The trade adds that the restored "Director's Cut" will debut on home video in September, and remain on sale for four months only, after which time it will be placed on moratorium.

"Blade Runner: Final Cut" will arrive in 2007 for a limited 25th anniversary theatrical run, followed by a special edition DVD with the three previous versions offered as alternate viewing: Besides the original theatrical version and director's cut, the expanded international theatrical cut will be included. The set will also contain additional bonus materials.

http://www.comingsoon.net/news/movienews.php?id=14724

Do you like Blade Runner? - cppcrusader - 26th May 2006

Sounds like Ridley Scott has been taking notes from Lucas. Remaster the Director's Cut and release it for a limited time, then release the new ultra super mega edition later.

Fortunately I haven't bought my own copy of Blade Runner yet, aquired mine while moving, so I probably end up getting this Final Cut when it comes out. That is of course barring any craziness added to the film like Edward James Olmos tap dancing on top of a flying car.

I only paid about $10 for my copy, so it's not a big deal. I'll probably end of getting both of the new DVD version though.

Do you like Blade Runner? - Dark Jaguar - 26th May 2006

Why both? Why not just wait for "teh uber edition" in 2007? Seems like a waste of money.

I'm sick of marketting... Too much of everything plus this ideal of getting "teh ultimates" of all that I enjoy. Worse, this MS and Sony idea (and I hope Nintendo doesn't copy it) of "Disney Fun Bucks" you have to buy in order to buy things off their online service. At this point I think it's actually intentional. Some people in some marketting room probably discuss things like "about the employees, do they really care about this "quality of life" thing?"

Do you like Blade Runner? - EdenMaster - 26th May 2006

[Image: bladerunner.JPG]

[Image: blade13.jpg]

Quote:I'm sick of marketting... Too much of everything plus this ideal of getting "teh ultimates" of all that I enjoy.

This was actually something that Ridley Scott wanted to do, but couldn't because of time and money constraints. He was able to take out the naration and the happy ending and add in the unicorn scene, but that was about it.

Quote:Why not just wait for "teh uber edition" in 2007?

I can spend $15-$20 extra and get the new DVD in September or can I wait until some indeterminate date in 2007 to get all three versions together.

Quote:I can spend $15-$20 extra and get the new DVD in September or can I wait until some indeterminate date in 2007 to get all three versions together.

Yes, and what I don't understand is why you decide not to wait.

Quote:Yes, and what I don't understand is why you decide not to wait.

Why don't you wait until 2008 when you can get Twilight Princess for $30?

That's a poor analogy. I'm talking about a superior version that you KNOW is going to come out versus getting a lesser version and THEN getting the superior version. If I have evidence that a vastly superior version is coming out in little more than a couple years, I'll wait. If it's just a wait for a price drop, then it depends on exactly how expensive a product is and how much of a price drop can be reasonably expected.

As with everything, it's relative to the situation at hand, and in this case it seems to me the best decision is to just wait a year.

I've already waited long enough to get a good DVD release of Blade Runner. I'm not going to wait any longer than I have to.

Well why not just see it in the theater? Won't that tide you over? What, do you have a door into Narnia or something? How do you get BORED in this day and age?

Quote:Well why not just see it in the theater? Won't that tide you over?

IF it's showing near where I live.

Do you like Blade Runner? - The Former DMiller - 26th May 2006

I've been waiting forever for this. Blade Runner is one of my favorite movies, but I have held off on buying the DVD since I had heard the rumors about the 3-disc set. I'll be able to hold off a little longer to wait for it in 2007, but that limited edition disc will be tempting.