Tendo City
The Blue Mile - Printable Version

+- Tendo City (https://www.tendocity.net)
+-- Forum: Tendo City: Metropolitan District (https://www.tendocity.net/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+--- Forum: Ramble City (https://www.tendocity.net/forumdisplay.php?fid=44)
+--- Thread: The Blue Mile (/showthread.php?tid=3779)

The Blue Mile - Fittisize - 18th May 2006

As most of you already know (read, have no clue about and probably don't care), the Edmonton Oilers have advanced to the Western Conference Finals for the first time since 1992. This is absolutely huge for the city of Edmonton, the province of Alberta, and the entire country in general. After every Oilers game the fans congregate on Whyte Ave, which has already become legendary. The atmosphere is insane and people from all over the province (myself included) have been going to Whyte Ave after Oilers game to get a taste of the incredible party atmosphere. I am making this thread the official EDMONTON OILERS THREAD where the board can come and cheer the Oilers on through the final two rounds of playoffs.

Actually, the only reason I made this thread was to share this spectacular video of some of the more obnoxious fans and how one person on Whyte took the celebration a little too far. Did he even know these girls?

<object width="425" height="350"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/dlCGz0V4qEA"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/dlCGz0V4qEA" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="425" height="350"></embed></object>

The Blue Mile - Dark Jaguar - 18th May 2006

So... aside from a game, anything else going on in YOUR ENTIRE COUNTRY? Maybe something like scientific advancement or political issues?

As a matter of fact there is something else going on - the story making the rounds these days is that of Nichola Goddard, who yesterday became the first female to die in combat in Canadian military history. This happened in Afghanistan. Closer to home, Premier Ralph Klein had his last day in the Alberta legislature today. He's been premier since 1992. Some of his better actions as premier included him going to a homeless shelter in Edmonton, making fun of the homeless people,and throwing money at them, and also offering to pay ten billion dollars to any Japanese citizen who contracted mad cow disease from eating Canadian beef.

But who gives a shit? That's not why I made this thread. If you want to know what's going on in Canadian politics and science I suggest you try a site like canada.com, not a thread that's about the Edmonton Oilers.

Wow! I had heard there are some... issues... in the mystical land of Canadian parliment, but what in the name of all that is holy? Going to a homeless shelter? Yeah, that's a classic meaningless stunt a lot of politicians will go for. They do little more than make speeches and their presence has no bearing on whether or not they will act in a way that makes such shelters no longer necessary, but they try to make people like them at least (via illogical appeal to emotion). This guy seems to actively be trying to ESCAPE desirability as a candidate!

The Blue Mile - N-Man - 18th May 2006

I see Edmonton is trying to surpass Calgary in decadence. I see only two hot chicks there though, and I can't be sure they're hot if they don't TURN AROUND. Let's talk again when/if you guys trounce Anaheim.

Dark Jaguar Wrote:Wow! I had heard there are some... issues... in the mystical land of Canadian parliment, but what in the name of all that is holy? Going to a homeless shelter? Yeah, that's a classic meaningless stunt a lot of politicians will go for. They do little more than make speeches and their presence has no bearing on whether or not they will act in a way that makes such shelters no longer necessary, but they try to make people like them at least (via illogical appeal to emotion). This guy seems to actively be trying to ESCAPE desirability as a candidate!

Ralph Klein is the greatest premier (governor in US-speak) in the history of that province. Alberta's been swimming in money ever since he got in - although that may partly have to do with their massive oil reserves.

Dark Jaguar Wrote:Wow! I had heard there are some... issues... in the mystical land of Canadian parliment, but what in the name of all that is holy? Going to a homeless shelter? Yeah, that's a classic meaningless stunt a lot of politicians will go for. They do little more than make speeches and their presence has no bearing on whether or not they will act in a way that makes such shelters no longer necessary, but they try to make people like them at least (via illogical appeal to emotion). This guy seems to actively be trying to ESCAPE desirability as a candidate!

Except Klein's visit to the shelter was an impromptu visit as he was driving by in his limo. It's worth noting that he's an alcoholic, and was drunk during this particular visit. What he did was pretty much terrorize everybody in the shelter and then he threw money at them from his own pockets, to degrade them even lower I suppose.

Anybody could run this province. Alberta's gigantic surplus will be maintained even without Klein (thanks to our masive oil reserves) and hopefully a lot of Klein's planned policies go out along with him (e.g. private health care).

Anyways...

FUCK YOU ANAHEIM

Yay drinking!

Why couldn't this guy have done the responsible thing and attempt to wrestle an alligator? Though, recent scientific studies confirm that whether one is inebriated or not has no bearing on how aggressive a gator can be when attacked, and that while the smile they wear may seem to suggest they can understand if they are "just joking around", the reality is they don't care how drunk the individual is. Indeed, even when armed with a taquilla bottle the drunkards in the tests still didn't fare very well, and in fact the drunk ones often fared worse than those who were sober. A drunk individual would be wise to attempt another activity such as painting a face on their buttocks and filming it, or perhaps attempting to take on less dangerous prey, such as an already dying squirrel on the side of the road.

The Blue Mile - A Black Falcon - 18th May 2006

Quote:But who gives a shit? That's not why I made this thread. If you want to know what's going on in Canadian politics and science I suggest you try a site like canada.com, not a thread that's about the Edmonton Oilers.

Just remember, DJ has zero knowledge about and even less interest in sports, so...

As for hockey... it is popular around here, particularly college hockey... I don't follow it that closely though. I know that the Maine team was in the Frozen Four but lost to Wisconsin, though... :)

As for pro, the Bruins are pretty awful and have terrible ownership. Enough said.

The Blue Mile - Weltall - 18th May 2006

I'll shadow-root for your Oilers, Frodosize, if only because your football teams are all chokers. :D

The Blue Mile - Fittisize - 21st May 2006

Booyakasha

Oilers win the first two in Anaheim, both games were 3-1. Can the Ducks take it to Edmonton at home with their fucking insane crowd and all the momentum on Edmonton's side? Nope! OILERS IN FOUR.

edit- Chokers eh, Ryan? Well then explain to me this:
[Image: The_Tackle_SBXXXIV.jpg]

Hey wait a second...

The Blue Mile - N-Man - 21st May 2006

Well Oilers in four, bitch. I was in some bar watching them stonewall Anaheim tonight, pretty convincing performance. And maybe they can take the Cup to its native land for once, eh?

The Blue Mile - Weltall - 22nd May 2006

Is your Titans love a result of that team once being known as the Oilers?

The Blue Mile - Fittisize - 22nd May 2006

Why yes, yes it is.

I also once read that Nashville is a sister city to Edmonton so there you have it.

The Blue Mile - Dark Lord Neo - 22nd May 2006

The Blue Mile is absolutly retarded. I'm sorry but I don't understand why smashing things, getting drunk, stabbing people and not letting ambulances get through is seen as a good way to celebrate. Personally since the first night this stuff has been going on I've being rooting for whoever plays against the Oilers, at least if they're out there won't be people vandalizing a beautiful historic area of the city and assulting eachother because they're so happy their team is doing well. I'm scared to see what will happen if the team goes further, the policing costs for each night after a game are already up to almost $100 000, just for patrolling that area.

Ralph Klein is a disgusting person. He's a biggoted arrogant ass. The fact that at his leadership review his own party only gave him a 50% approval rating shows how disalussioned the public as a whole is getting with him.

A monkey with his head stuck up his ass could have pulled off all that Klein has achived as leader. His biggest "achievment" is paying off the provincial debt, something that I'm sure even said monkey could do if he was sitting on top of billions of dollars of Oil.

Alberta is a strange province, they always vote for the same party no matter how upset they get with them. The PC party has been in power for over 30 years, before that the Social Credit Party was in power for 30 odd years and it goes on like that. Oh, and when they finally do "elect" a new party liek when they switched from Liberals to United Farmers, to Social Credit then to the PC's the "newly" elected party is usually led by some guy who's quit the previouse ruling party after not getting picked to be their leader.

Retarted? That's a bit harsh. I mean, just observe this video. Who on earth could say that the fans on The Blue Mile are retarted?

http://www.bluemile.ca/video5.htm

Once more, retarted?? You really need to grow up DLN.

[Image: 31.jpg]

Godamn do I ever love the Oilers.

edit- and the site bluemile.ca apparently...I'll try and stop posting content from shitty-run websites

The Blue Mile - Weltall - 23rd May 2006

Hockey is funny.

The Blue Mile - Fittisize - 23rd May 2006

!!

That was the craziest I have ever seen a crowd for any game on North American soil (some of the soccer crowds in Europe can get batshit crazy). The atmosphere in Rexall Place tonight was more electric than any Superbowl, Stanley Cup final, NBA championship, World Series etc. I've ever seen. If you can find a clip of "Oh Canada" at the start of the game, I suggest you watch it.

Anyways the loud-ass crowd (it was up to 110 decibals at one point) certainly helped the Oilers, as they managed to score three quick goals in the third period to go up 4-0. Unfortunately, the Ducks decided that they wanted a piece of that action too and scored three in a row. Fernando Pisani scored his playoff-leading 9th goal to put the Oilers up 5-3. The Ducks scored one more, but the Oil managed to hold on.

What a wild third period! Not the prettiest way to win a game, but a win is a win, and now Edmonton is up 3-0 in the series. They've won 7 in a row. The Cup Finals are so close...only one more win to go.

The Blue Mile - Dark Lord Neo - 24th May 2006

bah

The Blue Mile - Fittisize - 31st May 2006

http://www.mercurynews.com/mld/mercurynews/sports/hockey/nhl/san_jose_sharks/14696564.htm

Quote:Fans show unruly side
By John Ryan
Mercury News

We've been checking in periodically on the good townsfolk of Edmonton, Alberta, ever since Sharks fans upset their delicate sensibilities with the booing of the Canadian national anthem three weeks ago.

About those delicate sensibilities: Saturday night, a crowd estimated at 50,000 near Whyte Avenue celebrated the Oilers' first trip to the Stanley Cup finals since 1990.

By rioting.

``Shop windows were smashed and phone booths pushed over, their windows kicked in,'' the Edmonton Journal reported. ``Bonfires erupted in the centre of the avenue. From the rooftops, fire crews rained water down on the flames and the crowd. Some in the crowd danced in mist and smoke. Others lobbed beer bottles at the firefighters.''

The Journal quoted a police officer on the fringes saying, ``It's not worth it. We don't want to die.''

The Edmonton Sun ran some numbers:

15: People arrested.

9: Fires set.

3: Large-pane windows smashed at Chapters bookstore.

2: Phone booths uprooted and destroyed.

2: People jumping from rooftops onto boulevard trees.

Whoop.

The Blue Mile - N-Man - 1st June 2006

Amazing. Edmonton has descended into tribalism. Take note DJ, this is how a society regresses to a prior state.

The Blue Mile - Dark Jaguar - 1st June 2006

O_O Walk into this thread a few weeks later and BAM.

Seriously, that is MESSED UP! I'm not a fan of sports, but the days when I would suggest that sports = evil are long gone, now they merely bore me. This is entirely the fault of these people. What exactly could lead a person to become SO obsessed with a frickin GAME that they would go on a rampage? They would have to be in such a position in their life that the only thing that gives them the smallest glimmer of joy is the vicarious thrill of watching other people accomplish THEIR dreams in life that are related to them merely by the proximity of their base of operations to their own house, and the thought of them losing destroys that last sliver of happiness that was holding them in check, only AN ENTIRE TOWN was like this. Pathetic... Note that of course the whole town obviously wasn't that way, so the tragedy is for those that are completely innocent of the whole affair. If the whole town really WAS the entire rioting force, I wouldn't really feel all that bad for them for having destroyed their OWN stuff.

What idiots. Don't they have anything better to do with their lives?

Signed: A video game nerd (but one that at least knows that games are merely a hobby and has actual things of real value to be concerned with most of the time)

The Blue Mile - N-Man - 1st June 2006

I posit that it's more about the rioting than about the actual sport, if you know what I mean.

The Blue Mile - The Former DMiller - 1st June 2006

Yeah, it's sad when these types of things happen. I'm a huge sports fan, but I would never do something like that to "support" my team. Trashing your own city is just stupid, and, unfortunately, it happened in Chicago a few times during some of the Bulls' championships. It just makes the fanbase look like a bunch of morons even though it's only a small minority rioting.

The Blue Mile - Weltall - 1st June 2006

Dark Jaguar Wrote:What exactly could lead a person to become SO obsessed with a frickin GAME that they would go on a rampage? They would have to be in such a position in their life that the only thing that gives them the smallest glimmer of joy is the vicarious thrill of watching other people accomplish THEIR dreams in life that are related to them merely by the proximity of their base of operations to their own house, and the thought of them losing destroys that last sliver of happiness that was holding them in check, only AN ENTIRE TOWN was like this. Pathetic...
That's funny, because I've been a Steelers fan since I was 13, and ever since, I've been waiting for them to finally win a championship in my lifetime (they did it four times, all right before I was born). So, this year they finally do it. What's funny is that they did it during one of the darkest, most depressing periods of my life.

Seeing it happen, it was like that ray of hope in Pandora's Box, yunno? It had nothing to do with me, and didn't change how krap my life was at the time, but it made me feel better, and even that counts for something.

The Blue Mile - Dark Jaguar - 1st June 2006

I suppose so, though I must admit that such things totally escape me. I guess it's like hearing about an interesting discovery or something?

The Blue Mile - Fittisize - 2nd June 2006

N-Man Wrote:I posit that it's more about the rioting than about the actual sport, if you know what I mean.

Precisely. Someobody might not even ben an Oilers fan but will still throw a jersey on if it means they can get away with anything they feel like on Whyte Ave.

The Blue Mile - Dark Lord Neo - 3rd June 2006

I seriously hope the Oilers lose so that there won't be any more rioting.

The Blue Mile - A Black Falcon - 3rd June 2006

No, then they riot about the defeat...

The Blue Mile - Dark Lord Neo - 4th June 2006

They seem to have been behaving themselves when they lose, it's when the Oilers win that it's a problem.
I just love it when my tax dollars that could be going to things like some new textbooks in a school or another hospital bed go towards cleaning up after a bunch of drunks.