Tendo City
I crashed my car - Printable Version

+- Tendo City (https://www.tendocity.net)
+-- Forum: Tendo City: Metropolitan District (https://www.tendocity.net/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+--- Forum: Ramble City (https://www.tendocity.net/forumdisplay.php?fid=44)
+--- Thread: I crashed my car (/showthread.php?tid=3771)

I crashed my car - N-Man - 16th May 2006

Because I was going too fast. Insurance is gonna cost me zillions of dollars now. ZILLIONS.

I crashed my car - Great Rumbler - 16th May 2006

I rearended a truck once, due to icy roads and an insane amount of traffic. I was lucky enough to come out of it with a small hole in my bumper and the truck I hit was unfazed. It's still not very fun though...

I crashed my car - The Former DMiller - 16th May 2006

I'll one-up you both. Last summer I was working at a summer camp in Philadelphia, and I was on my way back to Illinois. Well, about 8 hours into the drive somewhere around 2 in the am I started getting really tired. Caffeine really doesn't have an effect on me so the Mountain Dew wasn't helping much. I passed a rest stop and told myself I would stop at the next one I saw, but I never made it. About three miles from the next rest stop I fell asleep at the wheel. Instead of hitting a barrier which would have resulted in a much smaller problem, I drifted onto an off-ramp. I woke up as I was hitting a sign and I began to go down a hill. Now I probably would have been fine if I just let the car's momentum take me down the hill, but I had just woken up and my instincts had me try to steer back onto the road. Well, since my momentum was going down the hill you can imagine what happened next. The car began to flip over, and the last thing I remember was being upside down in my car. The car somehow ended up on it's wheels, but when I saw it the next morning the entire driver's side was almost crushed. I don't know how I got out of the car, but I do remember calling my sister after I was already outside. Luckily, I only suffered a concussion and some cuts on my hand, because a number of variables could have made things a lot worse. I had to stay in the hospital overnight, and because my insurance from school lapsed during the summer I had a few thousand to pay off, which I just finished paying a few months ago.

On the positive side...I needed a new car anyway.

I crashed my car - Fittisize - 16th May 2006

I have somewhat of a history with car accidents. I've been in two rollovers, both as a passenger, and both in SUVs (neither SUV has been driven since). Also, I've hit a few ditches and three deer in my short driving career.

Consequences:
I've walked away from every single accident unfazed, except for two life-long scars around both of my eyes, from the two rollovers. The rollovers (which are far worse than hitting a deer or the ditch) were pretty similar. Both were in SUVs, on gravel roads, on the way home from the same party location, at around the same time of the night (2:30 and 3:30 am roughly). More importantly, both drivers were drunk, and these tattoos on either side of head are a constant reminder of how stupid I was to get in a car with a drunk driver...twice! They remind me of how close I was to losing my vision permanently and also my life.
[Image: leftright.jpg]

But I digress. Drinking and driving is fucking fun if you are responsible about it.

I crashed my car - Dark Jaguar - 16th May 2006

Agreed! The responsible way to go about it being having someone ELSE do the driving while partying in the back seat.

I crashed my car - The Former DMiller - 16th May 2006

Fittisize Wrote:But I digress. Drinking and driving is fucking fun if you are responsible about it.

I agree with you about the drinking part, but not about adding the driving to it. It might be harder to find other modes of transportation where you live, but my friends and I have never driven home after a night of heavy drinking. Don't mean to be preachy, but I would think you would cut out the driving after drinking given your past experiences.

I crashed my car - lazyfatbum - 16th May 2006

Miller/ Almost the exact same thing happened to me when i was 10. mom fell asleep at the wheel and we rolled 3 times, we were both covered in blood and mom had a major concussion, i just ended up with scars everywhere. We landed upside down though with the whole fuel dripping out scenario, when we got out and looked at the car the roof was completely flat and the window portals were just a few feet wide.

but the most fun was St Louis in winter. yunno what makes you pee? A constant blaring horn about half a mile back from a 18 wheeler jack-knifed skidding down the free way at 50 mph with its brakes locked wwhile knocking cars out of the way and making everyone panic in to a frenzy of clusterfuck, I think the driver was experienced though as he had gotten his truck pulled to the side pretty quickly considering. but because of the ordeal everyone was all oover the road in every direction, and it took us an hour to get traction again (using dirt from the side of the road) and kissing 10 cars along the way. everyone was bouncing off of other cars and some dude got smart and started pushing them to the side (ruining his front end) Insurance must suck up north :D

My friend tells me this story of returning home from a concert about 3 hours way from where he lived, so he's on the freeway at like 3 in the morning and no cellphone in the sticks. And he sees a car with its emergencies flashing in the middle of the road, sitting there like it broke down. he pulls up to the side to ask if they want some help and he realizes that everyone in the car (looked like people from the concert as well) were covered in blood and unconscious, apparently they had rear ended someone who fled and have been sitting there since for god knows how long. So my friend drives to a pay phone to call 911, the whole time wondering if he was just in a john carpenter movie.

oh N-Man, sorry about your wheels. Too bad you didnt grow up with my parents who cant drive or had Fittisize drive you around for a while to scare you out of speeding. :D how fast were you going? what happened?

I crashed my car - EdenMaster - 16th May 2006

I was driving home from work about five years ago when my car, at that time, was totalled. The street I was on was a two lane highway, had a median, and the side I was on had a third lane which veered off into some backroads. I'm driving on the lane closest to the median while another car is in the aforementioned turning lane. All of a sudden, this car turns sharply in front of me. There was a break in the median, and they were attempting to turn around. I must have been in their blind spot, two lanes over. I slammed my brakes but I could not stop in time, and I smashed right into their drivers side door. The woman driving (surprised?) was bleeding and, as I understand, required a few stitches in her head. My car was finished. The front end peeled up like a can of Spam and the bumper was jutting into the wheel wells. She was dead, Jim.

I also fishtailed on an icy road one time and slammed into a pickup truck. Oh, and I smashed into the back of an SUV once, too :D.

I crashed my car - Weltall - 16th May 2006

I've never hit anyone or anythign with my car before.

I'm a good driver.

I crashed my car - N-Man - 16th May 2006

lazyfatbum Wrote:oh N-Man, sorry about your wheels. Too bad you didnt grow up with my parents who cant drive or had Fittisize drive you around for a while to scare you out of speeding. :D how fast were you going? what happened?

Tried to overtake some bus that was coming onto the highway when I clearly had no shot at doing it. I get shoved left into the fast lane, slam on the brakes to avoid a car, swing back right to straighten up, and next thing I know I'm all over the place. I ended up bouncing the side of my car off the concrete panel all the way on the left. It's a tiny car, so the dent put pressure on the engine and made it fall through the floor. Scrap. :(

I crashed my car - Great Rumbler - 16th May 2006

Quote:I've never hit anyone or anythign with my car before.

Well, aren't you special!!

Ryan Wrote:I've never hit anyone or anythign with my car before.

I'm a good driver.

Safe driving is your best bet, you are a lot less likely to have an accident. Even a safe driver will eventually encounter one. That's all I'm saying. You'll encounter far less than average, but safe drivers get into a few too. That "far less than average" is more than enough reason to keep doing what you're doing. Keep it up.

And I always love hearing about this magical "fast lane". Amazing, considering I never see two speed limit signs on the road :D.

I crashed my car - etoven - 16th May 2006

Ryan Wrote:I've never hit anyone or anythign with my car before.

I'm a good driver.

Same deal as ryan ... Ow. and very sorry about your car.

I crashed my car - Fittisize - 16th May 2006

DMiller Wrote:I agree with you about the drinking part, but not about adding the driving to it. It might be harder to find other modes of transportation where you live, but my friends and I have never driven home after a night of heavy drinking. Don't mean to be preachy, but I would think you would cut out the driving after drinking given your past experiences.

Yes yes, trust me, I know moreso than most others the consequences of drinking and driving...I know that there is no way for one to drink and drive responsibly. Lighten up a bit ;)

And for the record, where I live there are no regular taxi services, no bus, and certainly no subway, train etc. Hell most roads around here aren't even paved. Sometimes the only way to get home if staying over isn't an option is to drive or catch a ride with someone else...if the drivers have been drinking, then so be it.

God damn canada is fucked up.

n-man/ though it doesn't help you now, here's what I do: avoid busses. Hope that helps.

dj/ any cop will tell you that speeding is fine if and only if you are keeping in flow with the traffic. Weaving, trying to overtake larger vehicles, and moving 15 to 25 mph faster or slower than the rest of the cars on the road and you recieve a firm fisting. Either by the cops or by the accident. :D

Yeah I know :D. I'm actually talking about that special sort of moron that thinks the "fast lane" is a legally binding thing, the one that thinks that instead of using it to pass those going slower than the speed limit, it's meant for people who speed to get ahead of those going AT the speed limit (and around here, the majority do stay pretty much around that limit, so going with the flow and obeying the speed limit are synonemous). But I will say this, if everyone is driving at a wreckless speed, also common around here (people going the speed limit but are still wreckless due to the fact that the road is ICE, evidence that it is wreckless coming in the form of the numerous accidents occuring during these little "cold snaps", then really the only thing to do is annoy the people behind you by driving at a safer speed.

But anyway, enjoy this fine discussion on driving horror stories.

http://forums.randi.org/showthread.php?t=55870

Otherwise rational people can get pretty emotional when it comes to those other meatbuckets on the road :D.

I crashed my car - Weltall - 16th May 2006

Haha, don't confuse me. I'm a good driver, not necessarily a safe driver. I speed chronically. I can't stand doing 45 in a 45, or worse, 65 on the interstate when I have eight hundred miles to cover. We only have so much time on this world.

I crashed my car - Dark Jaguar - 17th May 2006

And exactly how much time did you save? :D

I crashed my car - Weltall - 17th May 2006

On the interstate, averaging about 85-90? Several hours! :D

I crashed my car - Geno - 23rd May 2006

I'm still paying $25 a month until 2009 for a scratch that I gave to someone's truck on the college parking lot back in October of 2004. Yes, a scratch. $25 a month for five years. Just go to fucking Wal-Mart and buy some of that stuff that you rub on your car to make scratches go away. I'm trying to pay my way through college, asshole.

I crashed my car - Fittisize - 23rd May 2006

I crashed my car just last Thursday (May 18). I was driving out to a party excited because the May Long party is the biggest party of the year. I didn't notice a huge hump of hardened concrete in the middle of the gravel road (created from all the large trucks that destroy all the backroads) and ran right over it, breaking my oil pan. Immediatly my oil light came on, and I pulled over. There was oil ALL OVER the road. The total cost could be as low as $500 if only the oil pan has to be replaced, or as high as $10,000 if the engine is fucked. Best part is, I still went out to the party and go so shitfaced that I forgot about the car entirely. I got it towed the next day, which cost me $200. Ouch. But ya know what? Fuhgedaboutit. I can't worry about that shit. You know me, I can't complain.

I crashed my car - Dark Jaguar - 23rd May 2006

Here's what I don't get. What's the deal with raising insurence rates after an accident? Isn't the whole purpose of insurance supposed to be that they get a LOT of money from someone over many years so that if they do get into an accident, a small amount of what has been payed is more than enough to pay for it? I'm not a rastafarian accountant, so maybe I'm missing something about "dividends" or "market point fluctuations", but seriously, what's going on? I'm hearing horror stories about tiny scratches or "bumps" getting massive insurance price increases and I'm wondering, aren't the insurance companies supposed to expect such things? I really can only see this being a good response in the event of someone causing enough damage that the insurance they pay is not enough to pay for the accident.

I crashed my car - Great Rumbler - 23rd May 2006

Insurance companies are in the business of making money. When you don't get into wrecks, they make money. When you get into wrecks, they LOSE money. So what happens when you make a claim on your insurance? They raise your rates so that they can MAKE MONEY. It's as simple as that.

I crashed my car - Geno - 23rd May 2006

Dark Jaguar Wrote:Here's what I don't get. What's the deal with raising insurence rates after an accident? Isn't the whole purpose of insurance supposed to be that they get a LOT of money from someone over many years so that if they do get into an accident, a small amount of what has been payed is more than enough to pay for it? I'm not a rastafarian accountant, so maybe I'm missing something about "dividends" or "market point fluctuations", but seriously, what's going on? I'm hearing horror stories about tiny scratches or "bumps" getting massive insurance price increases and I'm wondering, aren't the insurance companies supposed to expect such things? I really can only see this being a good response in the event of someone causing enough damage that the insurance they pay is not enough to pay for the accident.
Exactly. Almost defeats the purpose.

Great Rumbler Wrote:Insurance companies are in the business of making money. When you don't get into wrecks, they make money. When you get into wrecks, they LOSE money. So what happens when you make a claim on your insurance? They raise your rates so that they can MAKE MONEY. It's as simple as that.
Exactly again. It's pretty much a scam.