Tendo City
Ghouls and Ghosts Online... on all 3 consoles! - Printable Version

+- Tendo City (https://www.tendocity.net)
+-- Forum: Tendo City: Metropolitan District (https://www.tendocity.net/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+--- Forum: Tendo City (https://www.tendocity.net/forumdisplay.php?fid=42)
+--- Thread: Ghouls and Ghosts Online... on all 3 consoles! (/showthread.php?tid=377)

Pages: 1 2

Ghouls and Ghosts Online... on all 3 consoles! - A Black Falcon - 3rd March 2003

http://cube.ign.com/articles/387/387790p1.html

Cool.

Ghouls and Ghosts Online... on all 3 consoles! - Sacred Jellybean - 3rd March 2003

Woo hoo!

Ghouls and Ghosts Online... on all 3 consoles! - Great Rumbler - 4th March 2003

That's pretty cool, too bad my internet is super-slow.

Ghouls and Ghosts Online... on all 3 consoles! - Dark Jaguar - 4th March 2003

So the GCN and PS2 versions won't link up with each other? I've said I understand why XBox is left out, with it's proprietary MS owned online service, but why not link up the other two systems? All they need to do is make sure the data sent out online is exactly the same on both. The fact that the data inside the game will be different in each version makes no different if the online data is the same format for both.

Eh, but the thing is, that still only gets two online games for GCN. Very few people even know the GCN has an online adapter (it would help if Nintendo sold it in more places than their online store) or any online games. Well, hopefully 3rd parties will take up Nintendo's slack and put a lot more online games out there. However, that still doesn't help the fact that Nintendo isn't even selling that adapter outside their online store.

Ghouls and Ghosts Online... on all 3 consoles! - OB1 - 4th March 2003

Neato. Unless there's going to be downloadable content available I'd like to get the GC version. But first I'll have to see what the game is all about.

Being massivly multiplayer, it seems it's most assuredly something I'll have to pay for, and since FFXI hold more interest than this, and even then I'm not exactly super willing to pay a monthly fee for ONE game, so this isn't exactly top on my games to get list. Last time I played an MMORPG was when I played the public beta for Ragnarok Online, back when my computer simply couldn't handle it (it can now, but I both forget where the Ragnarok Online site is and don't know if the beta is over and it's gone pay yet).

Anyway, yes downloadable content certainly is the bee's knees. Nintendo really should consider releasing either the SD card or IBM's hard drive like, soon. However, those things are perpetually delayed. I'd prefer the SD card of course for it's ability to store stuff outside of the GCN. Didn't think I'd start ranting about this again, because by gar it's been a while. Eh, while I'm at it I'll repeat that Nintendo needs to start selling their online adapters in actual physical world stores, not cyber space or the twisting nether, but here on this plane of reality. They should do this before 3rd parties like Mad Catz start making their own versions and selling them.

Ghouls and Ghosts Online... on all 3 consoles! - A Black Falcon - 4th March 2003

The SD Card is the 64DD, the SNES CD, and the NES Disk System... the never-released and not really very well thought out add-on...

It'd be cool, sure... but a harddrive would be better and the X-Box and PS2 already have harddrives...

Um, most of what you listed WAS released.

The FAMICOM disk system was certainly released, and it's the reason why we have Zelda, Lost Levels, Metroid, and Kid Icarus (though bringing them here, the save feature was lost in two of them).

64DD WAS a hard drive, removable. Released, failed, yes not very well thought out.

SNES CD is in a different catagory, it actually wasn't released, well up until the PS1. As I said before, Nintendo DESERVES whatever happens to them because of Sony thanks to Nintendo's really selfish treating of Sony like a napkin back then.

Anyway, the SD card is something certainly like those. However, you could also call the Hard Drive on the PS2 and the PS2 online adapter the same thing, add-ons made later, which certainly aren't selling as well as they could had they been built in from the start (heck, the PS2 HD is still not out in the US yet). However, that doesnt' mean I wouldn't like to see it out. I already said why it could be better than a hard drive. It will allow outside data to be used in certain GCN games designed to use such outside data. They also have all the space they really need. I've yet to approach a single gig on my XBox HD, so I'm sure a 2-10 gig SD card would be enough (of course, those size cards are quite expensive) and of course cards are faster than HDs.

However, as I just subnoted, that's pretty expensive when you get to certain sizes. I think built in HDs in the next system would be best.

Ghouls and Ghosts Online... on all 3 consoles! - A Black Falcon - 4th March 2003

Quote:Um, most of what you listed WAS released.

Not in this country, and that's what matters...

Oh, and 64DD WASN'T a hard drive. It was a disk-based media... removable. Hard drives aren't removable... it was a giant floppy disk. Think fast Zip drive with a capacity of 64 megs...

As for the SD... the problem is space! Sure... you don't need all the space on a X-Box HDD, but its REALLY nice to have it...

But Nintendo clearly doesn't care about space... I mean, our memory cards come in REALLY tiny and small ( 1/2 meg and 2 meg) sizes...

Yes you could get more SD cards... but that's expensive and can be a hassle... so I don't know.

Anyway, I bet it never comes out like those other add-ons... of if it does it won't do well unless some MAJOR games require it... like how they managed to get people to buy the N64 memory addon.

The definition of floppy and hard drive is as follows:

A floppy drive's data is stored on a magnetic circle that is very loose and "floppy" inside some sort of protective casing (which may or may not be floppy).

A hard drive's data is stored on a series of metal disks that are in fact very HARD and won't be flopping without a large amount of heat.

Whether or not the drive is removable has nothing to do with if it's a floppy or hard drive. I've never broken apart large ZIP disks, but if they are stored on solid metal disks as opposed to a disk made out of the stuff movie tape is made of, that could very well be called a hard drive without being inaccurate. I'm pretty much certain the 64DD's disks were hard, otherwise they didn't need to be nearly as thick.

Besides that, the PS2 Hard Drive certainly is removable, thus what is that? I also think the XBox's hard drive should have been removable. However my point here is that removability is not the definer.

Falcon is on crack. The SD card is nothing like the 64DD or the SNES CD. The Panasonic SD cards aren't a Nintendo-made media; they are used for many different devices including camcorders and mp3 players. Nintendo was simply going to release an adapter so that you could use them with a Gamecube. With the SD card you'd be able to take pictures using a compatible digital camera and then import the photos into a Gamecube game and various things like that. You couldn't do that with a HDD.

Yep, but I'm not sure he was missing that particular point, just that it could be more succesful based on people already owning those cards alone. To be honest, Nintendo should have just put SD card slots into the GCN instead of their custom memory card slots.

They should have, but then they wouldn't have been able to charge us $20 for their tiny, tiny little memory cards.

It would have been awesome if they had done that. You can get a 16 MB SD card for only $24, or a 32 MB SD card for the same price as an 8 MB PS2 memory card.

That would've been great... but would cut into Nintendo's profits (I mean, FIFTEEN DOLLARS for a HALF MEGABYTE card!!? Come ON!), so it makes perfect sense that they made their own cards...

Also, I'm still not convinced that the SD card was meant to be a memory card at all... based on what they said it didn't sound like it'd replace the save card, just supplement it for games that supported saving extra data on the special SD cards...

Oh, and I didn't say anything about SD cards OB1, just the adapter and its chance of success if it was released, unless it, like the 4mb N64 Ram Expansion, was packed in some hit game...

Also, Zip disks are floppy. They have a big plastic shell (they're about as thick as 2 floppies...), but its a floppy disk inside. I don't know what 64DD carts were...

You said, and I quote, "The SD Card is the 64DD, the SNES CD, and the NES Disk System... the never-released and not really very well thought out add-on... ". You didn't say "the SD card adapter", you just said "the SD Card".

And if it couldn't be used like a regular memory card then that would be a major waste.

I meant it in the context of it as a Nintendo addon, not as a seperate product... what should I have said 'the SD card adapter with a card in it'? Kind of clumsy...

I know it should be usable as a memory card... but until its proven to me that it is I will remain skeptical. Nintendo never said it would be that after all...

You should have just said "SD Adapter". And it's still nothing like those other examples that you mentioned since it's only an adapter for a widely-used product.

Oh come on... yes it is. Its not EXACTLY like them, but surely you can see some parallels with the 64DD?

Not at all. The 64DD was an add-on that could only play games specifically made for it, and it used a proprietary Nintendo medium. The SD card adapter is just something that would let you use an established memory card format. You don't play games on it. It would pretty much be a bigger memory card or some sort of storage system, and you'd be able to use digital cameras and the like with your Gamecube. I don't see the parallels at all.

Ghouls and Ghosts Online... on all 3 consoles! - A Black Falcon - 6th March 2003

Large (compared to memory cards or cart battery save space size)-format removable media storage device... for games that have lots of variables nad stuff they want to save onto a disk... um that's a direct parallel there...

Ghouls and Ghosts Online... on all 3 consoles! - OB1 - 6th March 2003

That's retarted. The 64DD would let you play 64DD games. The SD card is pretty much just a big memory card.

Ghouls and Ghosts Online... on all 3 consoles! - A Black Falcon - 6th March 2003

No its not... it sure seems like a big similarity to me especially after how the big feature of the DD was its big-capacity rewritable disks... like SD cards...

Let me repeat myself: There will be no SD card games like there were 64DD games. And the SD card adapter is nothing like the 64DD which was an add-on console.

Umm... obviously games won't be on SD cards and its obviously not a console. But neither of those things addresses the point I made...

You tried comparing it to the 64DD, which is absurd.

Ghouls and Ghosts Online... on all 3 consoles! - big guy - 7th March 2003

now OB1, isn't it possible, that if there were an SD card, and there were SD card adaptors, that nintendo could make a game that had massive rewriteablility features and required an SD card...making it similar to, but not exactly like the 64DD?

Ghouls and Ghosts Online... on all 3 consoles! - A Black Falcon - 7th March 2003

Yes, they certainly could... I don't see why he can't see that...

Ghouls and Ghosts Online... on all 3 consoles! - OB1 - 7th March 2003

Oh I'm sure they could and would do something like that, but it's still a far cry from the 64DD. One is a little adapter that would use well-established memory cards, and other was a full-fledged add-on console that played proprietary Nintendo discs. Comparing the SD adapter to the 64DD or the SNES CD add-on is just crazy.

And on a related subject, here's more on G&G Online from Games Are Fun:

Quote:Ghouls 'n Ghosts Online at GDC
Zona, an network middleware developer, has in its both at this year's Game Developers Conference Game Factory's Ghouls 'n Ghosts Online. Game Factory acquired the rights to make an online game based on Capcom's series earlier this year, and have managed to get a demo together in just six weeks.

According to Gamespot, G'nG Online looks, obviously, early, and the version on display, either on the Xbox or PC, shows Arthur running around a low-polygon town, jumping and swinging a sword. Players were able to pick up and play, but there were no enemies or tasks. However, the report indicates that the game appears to be much more action-based than other MMORPGs, not putting as much of an influence on experience building as a game like Everquest.

While initial announcements had Ghouls 'n Ghosts Online hitting all platforms, Gamespot says that the game will hit the PlayStation 2, Xbox, and PC before the end of the year; there's nothing about a GameCube version. We'll have continuing coverage, so make sure you check back.

Source: Gamespot

Posted by Soul4ger on 3.7.2003

Ghouls and Ghosts Online... on all 3 consoles! - A Black Falcon - 7th March 2003

Why can't you see a parallel between a add-on that featured a large-format disc and a add-on that features a large-format disc? I sure do...

Because their design and purposes are entirely different. You're taking one tiny link and blowing it up in an attempt to make them seem indentical. You also said that the SD card was another 64DD, which is inane even by your standards.

I give up... you clearly will never understand... which is odd since it seems so obvious.

Yet again ABF refuses to admit when he's wrong. Come on now, you can't really believe this!

I don't get it. Before I say any more, I have one question: What exactly is it you think I believe? Based on what you're saying it doesn't seem to be what I've been saying, so I can't figure out what you think I believe... you seem to not understand me or something... or you just don't read my posts. I don't know.

It's very simple, actually. This is what you wrote:

Quote:The SD Card is the 64DD, the SNES CD, and the NES Disk System... the never-released and not really very well thought out add-on...

Here's why your statement is wrong:

1. It's not an add-on.
2. It does not use a proprietary medium like those add-ons do.
3. It does not play games.

The SD card adapter is a simple ilttle device that would allow you to use Panasonic SD cards--most commonly used for digital cameras--with your Gamecube in an unknown manner. It's nowhere near as big of a deal or as ambitious as creating a whole new add-on like the 64DD.

1. It is an add-on by any definition of add-on I can think of. It is something you add to the console to get more functionality in gameplay and games... like any add-on.

2. So? That's not really relevant... I don't see why it matters.

3. Umm... I never said it did... but as big guy said,

Quote:now OB1, isn't it possible, that if there were an SD card, and there were SD card adaptors, that nintendo could make a game that had massive rewriteablility features and required an SD card...making it similar to, but not exactly like the 64DD?

I just can't see why you try to deny this. A NGC game which required and made a lot of use of the SD adapter would be almost exactly like a 64DD... given that the big feature of the 64DD was its rewritable cartridge, and that's exactly what a SD card is too...

Combine it with the modem to replace those online features the 64DD had and its even more similar.

Quote:1. It is an add-on by any definition of add-on I can think of. It is something you add to the console to get more functionality in gameplay and games... like any add-on.

Erm So is the E-Reader an add-on like the 64DD? How about the GBA link cable?

Quote:2. So? That's not really relevant... I don't see why it matters.

It's a big point. The 64DD was an add-on that would enable you to play games only on the add-on. The SD card is a big memory card. That's it.

Quote:3. Umm... I never said it did... but as big guy said,

"now OB1, isn't it possible, that if there were an SD card, and there were SD card adaptors, that nintendo could make a game that had massive rewriteablility features and required an SD card...making it similar to, but not exactly like the 64DD?"

I just can't see why you try to deny this. A NGC game which required and made a lot of use of the SD adapter would be almost exactly like a 64DD... given that the big feature of the 64DD was its rewritable cartridge, and that's exactly what a SD card is too...

I never denied anything of the sort. This isn't even what we're talking about. You called the SD adapter a failed add-on like the 64DD, which is false. The 64DD discs weren't just big memory cards like the SD cards are. They were big, re-writable game discs. That's a pretty huge difference. And while Nintendo could use the SD card in conjunction with something like F-Zero to allow you to make big tracks, that's just the SD card acting like a big memory card. What part of that don't you understand?

Another big difference between the SD cards and the 64DD discs is that you could take pictures with your digital camera, save them onto an SD card, then plug the card into the GC adapter and import images into Mario Paint or something like that. You could never do that with the 64DD. The 64DD was just an add-on that would allow you to play games with a lot of extra writable space.

I never said they were the same... I said that they have very similar uses -- for saving stuff that requires lots of space or lots of rewritability. While each one clearly is diffrent and has unique uses, really I don't see some massive diffrence like you do... clearly the SD adapter is a addon of smaller scale than the 64DD, yes. It isn't a system of its own... but if there were games that required one, it'd be pretty much the same thing... like a game that requires a GBA and adaptor in a way.

Oh, and as for the exact uses of the SD card... well that really depends on Nintendo. I sure wouldn't bet on importing faces... other than compatibilty issues (would they have to support lots of formats or something?), they might not allow it for the same reasons PD had it removed...

Oh, and as for if its just a giant memory card or something only for use in games specifically designed for it, we'd have to see if/when it comes out. None of us know any details on that front.

Ghouls and Ghosts Online... on all 3 consoles! - Dark Jaguar - 7th March 2003

I think his point is more that it's failed, and THAT'S the similarity. I think he doesn't see it as selling. Well, to be honest now that I think about it I don't see how it would sell that well too. Most consumers don't even know about SD cards. They are barely cognitant of Sony's memory sticks. Every once in a while, one person I know will get one, and be all like "Isn't this amazing?" as though it hasn't been out for years now. The problem is that people will buy a product that requires another product to be any use at all. A memory card is simple, one thing. SD card adapters would have to defeat this by being bundled with an SD card.

Oh, 64DD was pretty much just a big memory card. They just happened to store games on them is all. The same can be done with any other large memory card. Heck, I have a game on my PocketStation, and that's like teeny tiny. It's different of course because you had to pay a LOT to get it. You had to almost buy another system, and you had to own the original, just to use it, and of course a lot of games were being stored on this big memory card primarily, because it could store more than a N64 cart, I think :D, max N64 cart size was 32MB (512 Mb) right? Anyway, here's another similarity. Square has made a game requiring the use of hte PS2 HD, but sadly that's not sold that well. It isn't even out in America yet because of how unsure Square is. They spent time bringing FFOrigins here, something released in Japan AFTER FFXI, and they still aren't quite ready to release FFXI yet. The SD card can do everything the 64DD can, but more since they have more storage space and are faster to access.

Now then, would the SD card adapters sell? I'm beginning to wonder... I would LOVE for them to be released of course, but I think Nintendo screwed up by not releasing them from the start. While they would be cheap, they wouldn't really gain much interest when they realize they need to buy something else, something more costly (especially when you get to the really big sizes) and when they realize (if this is the case) that they can't save their games to SD cards... The difference between this and a GBA link cable is the GBA link cable is all you need to buy (people don't buy the second GBA, they find someone else who has one) while you have to buy more for this. Most people just don't have SD cards yet. If cameras and music storage didn't get them popular, would the GCN be enough to make it a must buy?

Anyway, the test is this. How well is the GBA/GCN link cable selling? It's pretty similar. You gotta buy one of whatever system you don't have before you use it, and it's got limited use. The answer? Not all that well...

Even if there were certain GC games that required the SD card to work it still woudn't be anything like the 64DD. It could do certain things that could be done with the 64DD, but that's such a tiny part of what is capable with these cards that it's just a really terrible comparison.

The reason why Nintendo wanted to release an SD card adapter is because the format is universally used by many devices and would act as a link between digital cameras, PCs, etc.

Even if there were certain GC games that required the SD card to work it still woudn't be anything like the 64DD. It could do certain things that could be done with the 64DD, but that's such a tiny part of what is capable with these cards that it's just a really terrible comparison.

The reason why Nintendo wanted to release an SD card adapter is because the format is universally used by many devices and would act as a link between digital cameras, PCs, and the Gamecube.

If Nintendo had hyped the SD adapter, made some very desirable games that required it, and released it early in the system's life it could have been a successful add-on... but at this point if it ever comes out barring something amazing it WILL end up like the 64DD...

Oh, and as for this debate... I didn't mean much of any of what you took me to mean when I said that first quote. I only meant that its a add-on that either never happened or failed because it was poorly conceived or poorly executed... the SD adaptor clearly meets those criteria.

I don't see why you think I said that the SD adapter is the same as the 64DD in being a major add-on on that scale... I didn't...

Is it a add-on? Yes. Just like the GBA - to - GC adaptor or maybe the N64 memory expansion...a small one that some games need. Not exactly like the 64DD or Famicom Disk System of course... however once you brought up that issue (that "I said they were the same") and I thought about it, I realized they were very similar... as I've been saying.

Look. What was the 64DD? It was a big rewritable space. Thats it. Yes, the carts had games on them... and the system had a modem in it as well as being for the disks. But how is that SO DIFFRENT from the SD card? The SD card adaptor isn't as complete a add-on of course, but what's the difference between a NGC game that requires a SD card or a GBA-to-GC cable and a game on a seperate addon? Not much of one as far as I can tell... especially if it required (or had a option to use) the NGC Modem also...

Oh, and DJ, the biggest N64 cart released was Resident Evil 2, which was 512 Mb or 64MB. That wasn't the max, though... it could have gone bigger but cost prevented that.

Quote:Look. What was the 64DD? It was a big rewritable space. Thats it. Yes, the carts had games on them... and the system had a modem in it as well as being for the disks. But how is that SO DIFFRENT from the SD card?

"yes the carts had games on them"... Hello? That's the whole point!

Good grief... these arguments have gotten dumber and dumber. Give me a challenge for once!

Ghouls and Ghosts Online... on all 3 consoles! - WhiteFleck - 7th March 2003

Both of you: SHUT UP!!!

My point was that if it'd been a blank disk and used N64 carts to store the permanant game data (and the DD cart for the stuff it wants on the rewritable section) it'd be pretty much the same as it is... and that's exactly how the SD Adapter works.

That made no sense whatsoever.

Ghouls and Ghosts Online... on all 3 consoles! - A Black Falcon - 8th March 2003

It makes perfect sense... you just won't admit it.

Ghouls and Ghosts Online... on all 3 consoles! - OB1 - 8th March 2003

Rolleyes

Whatever you say.

Ghouls and Ghosts Online... on all 3 consoles! - A Black Falcon - 8th March 2003

:hammer:

Read it again and understand! Its really quite simple... and correct... how is it wrong?

Ghouls and Ghosts Online... on all 3 consoles! - OB1 - 8th March 2003

All you're saying that "if it was like this then it would be just like it!". You can say that about anything!