Tendo City
TINYURL.COM is neat. - Printable Version

+- Tendo City (https://www.tendocity.net)
+-- Forum: Tendo City: Metropolitan District (https://www.tendocity.net/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+--- Forum: Ramble City (https://www.tendocity.net/forumdisplay.php?fid=44)
+--- Thread: TINYURL.COM is neat. (/showthread.php?tid=3761)

TINYURL.COM is neat. - Dark Jaguar - 12th May 2006

http://tinyurl.com/

It shrinks ridiculously long URLs to something you can actually have a prayer of memorizing.

TINYURL.COM is neat. - etoven - 13th May 2006

All routed threw their proxy. No thank you...

TINYURL.COM is neat. - A Black Falcon - 13th May 2006

It is nice, to make posting really long links in forums nicer looking and easier to use.

TINYURL.COM is neat. - Weltall - 13th May 2006

I have to agree with etoven on this one. It's nice to shorten the URL, but it masks the true address, so you have no idea just what you're really clicking.

TINYURL.COM is neat. - Dark Jaguar - 13th May 2006

Once you get to the site, it shows the correct address. It is basically just a forwarding thing. By the way, I really don't see a problem using someone else's proxy address.

TINYURL.COM is neat. - Weltall - 13th May 2006

I don't know about you, but if a masked link is going to forward me to www.grandmarapeshorses.com/heresavirus.html, it'd be nice to know that without having to load the webpage first.

TINYURL.COM is neat. - EdenMaster - 14th May 2006

I'm also a little unclear on the whole point of it. If you want to link, most forums have an option like we do, to turn the link into a shorter word like this. Even without the option, a basic HTML script can serve the same purpose. If you need to remember the link yourslf, that's why there are bookmarks, as well as copy/paste in Notepad or whatever.

This has no reason to exist.

TINYURL.COM is neat. - etoven - 14th May 2006

This company is atempting to have the worlds links routed threw their servers then forwarded. Having to make a trip to there server first opens up many security issues.

In short it's nothing but a marketing ploy, an attempt to see what sites are being visted on the web.

TINYURL.COM is neat. - A Black Falcon - 14th May 2006

Quote:I'm also a little unclear on the whole point of it. If you want to link, most forums have an option like we do, to turn the link into a shorter word like this. Even without the option, a basic HTML script can serve the same purpose. If you need to remember the link yourslf, that's why there are bookmarks, as well as copy/paste in Notepad or whatever.

This has no reason to exist.

Not all sites allow those shortened links in forums and stuff you know, and long URLs can stretch threads and stuff like that, not fun... this has plenty of reasons to exist.

TINYURL.COM is neat. - Dark Jaguar - 14th May 2006

So you think they are doing something evil eh? Oh well. As far as a reason to exist, I just thought it was neat because there are times when I'm not near a computer and I want something quick to remember. Further, there are times I'm calling someone and want to give them a link and it is a lot easier to give them one of these than something a mile long.

It's a neat little thing I've used a few times. I have no intention of using it for everything, and I am NOT going to be using it to link to something like a secure shopping site, so no worries.

A Black Falcon Wrote:Not all sites allow those shortened links in forums and stuff you know, and long URLs can stretch threads and stuff like that, not fun... this has plenty of reasons to exist.

Me Wrote:Even without the option, a basic HTML script can serve the same purpose.

:shakeit:

So all message boards support HTML now? Ah... no. Trying to prove your point by repeating what I had just refuted won't work... :)

Any forum so restrictive/ancient so as not allow HTML isn't worth visiting :D. Even crap-tastic EZBoard allows HTML.

The only boards I've ever encountered that don't allow HTML are ones run by admins with over-inflated egos who rule over the place like Nazi's, and CHOOSE to not allow it. I know, I used to visit a board like that, further empahasizing the "not with visiting" point.

Quote:Any forum so restrictive/ancient so as not allow HTML isn't worth visiting . Even crap-tastic EZBoard allows HTML.

The only boards I've ever encountered that don't allow HTML are ones run by admins with over-inflated egos who rule over the place like Nazi's, and CHOOSE to not allow it. I know, I used to visit a board like that, further empahasizing the "not with visiting" point.

GameFAQs is a good example of a huge, popular, and sometimes worth visiting board which doesn't allow HTML (or images, for that matter...)... tinyurl and other sites like it are useful for forums like that one. :)

TINYURL.COM is neat. - Weltall - 15th May 2006

GameFAQs boards are horrible. I used to go to the Silent Hill boards, and it was like discussing philosophy with kindergartners.

TINYURL.COM is neat. - EdenMaster - 15th May 2006

Ryan is right. I spent some time in the GameFAQs Boards during one of their Character Battes and I swear I'll never go back. They are disorganized, so over-populated that half of what is said gets lost in the shuffle, and the average mental age of those people is 6.

Even still, Ryan's point of hiding the location of what could be a truly malicious link is valid.

TINYURL.COM is neat. - Great Rumbler - 15th May 2006

Quote:Any forum so restrictive/ancient so as not allow HTML isn't worth visiting

Quote:GameFAQs is a good example

Yes, yes it is.

TINYURL.COM is neat. - A Black Falcon - 15th May 2006

Yeah, the average age is low, the people are stupid, there is a lot of repetitious inanity (If I have to see one more 'rate my game collection' thread... people, it's YOUR collection! Get the games you want, not ones other people tell you to get!), and you forgot what is my biggest problem with the site -- that threads get deleted after a month or two if you don't continually post in them to keep them on the top (horrible, horrible, horrible!), but just because of the sheer volume some posts are actually worth reading... though this does not apply to all areas. Sections like Gamecube General... the stupidity... keep it away...