Tendo City
Wii stuff goes here - Printable Version

+- Tendo City (https://www.tendocity.net)
+-- Forum: Tendo City: Metropolitan District (https://www.tendocity.net/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+--- Forum: Tendo City (https://www.tendocity.net/forumdisplay.php?fid=42)
+--- Thread: Wii stuff goes here (/showthread.php?tid=3744)

Pages: 1 2

Wii stuff goes here - Great Rumbler - 9th May 2006

Montage:

http://www.nintendo.co.jp/n10/e3_2006/wii/movie_software.html

Project H.A.M.M.E.R.

[Image: fea_gamepg_hammer.png]

Quote:Killer robots are attacking major cities across the United States, and the military is powerless to stop them. Players control one of Project H.A.M.M.E.R.'s cyborg prototypes: half-man, half-machine, with an extraordinary weapon - and the power to save the world. Equipped with a hammer of amazing strength, players represent the only hope against an unstoppable army of marauding automatons. Players use the Nunchuk controller in one hand to maneuver through a variety of vast and detailed environments and the Wii Remote in the other just like a real hammer to control the hero's weapon. Lift it into the air and bring it down to smash robots to smithereens.

Disaster: Day of Crisis

[Image: fea_gamepg_disaster.png]

Quote:Survive nature's most devastating catastrophes in Disaster: Day of Crisis, a panic-inducing survival game for Wii. When a wave of natural disasters pummels the United States, a rogue special forces unit takes advantage of the chaos and seizes a nuclear weapon. Players race a car down a mountain to escape a roaring pyroclastic flow, dodge toppling buildings during a devastating earthquake and swim for their lives in a raging flood. No matter what happens, fight to survive.

Wii stuff goes here - A Black Falcon - 9th May 2006

press.nintendo.com has quick access to basic information on all the games... golan/harris name/pw as always. :)

Classic Controller
[Image: wiiclassic.png]

I am not impressed. While it may be perfect for SNES, it's at best decent and really not nearly as good as the GC pad for ports from the other consoles (and the GC pad may not be allowed for said ports, which is worrisome given how mediocre this pad is...), and maybe tolerable but pretty bad for N64 games... plus more of that blah Apple style. I was hoping for something a lot better than that, Nintendo...

Problems:
-Only four face buttons. Serious flaw. Makes proper play of N64 games completely impossible.
-No trigger/triggers. Serious flaw. Makes proper play of N64 games significantly worse.
-shoulder-button-inside-shoulder-button design? What the heck? Looks awful! That's not good...
-no 'handles' (handgrips) on the sides-- the PSX pad added them onto the SNES pad for a reason (and all controllers since copied this addition for a reason too), they help...
-dpad is improperly placed for N64 or GC/PSwhatever/Xboxwhatever ports (for modern consoles having the dpad above and analog stick below is a must).

-dpad size -- how big is it? Is this the size a dpad in that position should be, N64/SNES sized, or is it GBA/GBC/DS/DSLite/Micro/GC/etc sized? Oh, the N64's dpad works, but the larger sized ones are more comfortable in long play sessions, something important for a controller obviously designed for SNES games...

It's like they've revoked all of the improvements in controller design over the past fifteen years... something Sony likes to do too, but they went even FARTHER! Not good...

So yeah, it'll be great for SNES games. But just try to tell me how some N64 games will map to that abomination and you'll get headaches trying to figure it out, because it's not possible with a decent control scheme. Not for games which actually use the N64's buttons.

Looks pretty good to me.

Read my edited post. Look at your N64 controllers. If you think that that's going to work for those games you're crazy.

Oh, and I forgot to mention button labels! So will all N64 games have to be redesigned to get rid of all those places where buttons are identified by color (blue, green, red, and yellow)? Yup. Will that hurt the games? Yup. The buttons don't have colors anymore, so such simple identification is much harder. Will all games be able to be given acceptable control schemes? Nope. (just go play OoT on N64 and try to pretend that it's got anything on the N64 controller's version!) Are shoulder buttons a good replacement for the N64's innovative and fantastic Z button? Nope, not even close. Is the PSX-style 'dpad above' design better for N64 or current-gen console ports? No!

Really, this is absurd... a competent, but not good, current-gen or SNES controller (one that I would have all of these complaints about, but because games would be designed FOR it, would be able to accept in the end), but when you consider that the main use of this thing is supposedly for the Virtual Console... what the heck were they thinking?

What one controller would work for four generations of videogame? Nes controller? Not even close. SNES controller? Not even close. N64 contoller? Works great for N64 games, but not so well for games that use the Dpad. Gamecube controller? Up until the point where the realize how ackward the button configuration would be for non-GC games. So instead they give us a redesigned controller with a very normal layout.

I imagine that the VC will allow for custom button configurations, like every single emulator in existence does. So, you map the yellow N64 buttons to the right analog stick and the Z trigger to one of the inner shoulder buttons or even one of the extra face buttons and you're good to go.

Wii stuff goes here - Dark Jaguar - 9th May 2006

That's why they need to amalgamate all the controllers into one.

There's a simple solution in my opinion. Take the controller above, which is a good start. Add handles. For example, GCN controller handles. Next, change it from 4 buttons on the face to six, a standard layout. Change the shoulder buttons from that horrid layout to something like the Xbox 360 controller layout. The back ones will be the triggers, and the front ones will be standard shoulder buttons.

Do that and you have a single controller that will work for EVERY Nintendo game through to Gamecube. The only issue to resolve is button names :D. I think that 4 of the button should use the SNES naming convention, already done, and the last two should be, I dunno, C and Z like on the Genesis. Add in the coloring from the N64 controller.

Quote:I imagine that the VC will allow for custom button configurations, like every single emulator in existence does. So, you map the yellow N64 buttons to the right analog stick and the Z trigger to one of the inner shoulder buttons or even one of the extra face buttons and you're good to go.

You actually belive that that would be a competent alternative to a real N64 control scheme? Sorry, but no way. For all the reasons I mentioned above, it completely fails to be a serious N64-replacement pad.

Quote:What one controller would work for four generations of videogame? Nes controller? Not even close. SNES controller? Not even close. N64 contoller? Works great for N64 games, but not so well for games that use the Dpad. Gamecube controller? Up until the point where the realize how ackward the button configuration would be for non-GC games. So instead they give us a redesigned controller with a very normal layout.

Actually, the N64 controller would be fantastic. The N64 has a great d-pad. As I'm sure I've said before, the N64 is the last console which was truly designed with a controller for both 2d and 3d games... every major console since has just had 2d as an afterthought, but with the N64 both the 2d and 3d aspects are fully realized -- the left/right dpad (full sized, SNES-style D-Pad! The last videogame console to truly have a great dpad!)/shoulder buttons/6 face buttons layout for 2d, and the center/right analog stick/trigger/etc layout for 3d. That it is true that only a few games on the N64 that are better played with the D-Pad are few and far between doesn't mean that the controller wouldn't be a fantastic 2d game controller, and it would.

A slightly modified N64 controller with larger C buttons (so that they can double as A/B/X/Y buttons too) would be ideal. Or if you want it to be dual-analog, then look at something like my Saitek p880 -- six face buttons, dual joysticks in the PS2 position, full-sized d-pad, and large shoulder buttons. That would work. Not as well as a real N64 controller (though for NES/SNES it's just as good), but close enough that the difference doesn't matter much... particularly since it'd have Nintendo-quality analog sticks and not the poor ones of the p880. :)

Quote:Gamecube controller? Up until the point where the realize how ackward the button configuration would be for non-GC games.

Actually, this is just a function of time -- getting used to it. My best example is Capcom vs SNK 2: EO. I'm better at this game on GC than I am on PS2 (on a gamepad; if we're talking arcade sticks things are different)-- by a sizable margin. Why? Because I'm used to the game on the GC controller, "odd" button layout and all... so no, you can adapt any four button game to the GC controller and have it work well. That's really not a problem.

Now, would I have wanted to see them keep the GC layout? No, because it's only got four buttons. Keep those button shapes and positions and add back in the left and right hand buttons of the top row, though, and I think you'd have a very, very nice gamepad...

Quote:I imagine that the VC will allow for custom button configurations, like every single emulator in existence does. So, you map the yellow N64 buttons to the right analog stick and the Z trigger to one of the inner shoulder buttons or even one of the extra face buttons and you're good to go.

I don't think I should have to say anything to make it completely obvious that for numerous games that quite simply would not work.

Quote:There's a simple solution in my opinion. Take the controller above, which is a good start. Add handles. For example, GCN controller handles. Next, change it from 4 buttons on the face to six, a standard layout. Change the shoulder buttons from that horrid layout to something like the Xbox 360 controller layout. The back ones will be the triggers, and the front ones will be standard shoulder buttons.

You essentially agree with me, then, because that's basically the same list of changes I want... :)

Quote:The only issue to resolve is button names

That is an issue...

N64 has
B < ^
A v >

for its face button layout while SNES has
Y X
B A

and those two are not easily reconciled, as each button's name has changed... but ABC/XYZ like the Genesis (or the Saturn or Microsoft Sidewinder Gamepad) would be a solution. Though not perfect... this does have to have some coorelation with the normal controller (freehand/nunchuck). Knowing that, I'd recommend making those two buttons Z1 and Z2... so
Y X Z2
B A Z1

Which is actually kind of like the p880's layout (but with 1 2 and 3 4 switched):
1 2 6
3 4 5

I think that would work (with N64 button colorings... as for button size, that's debatable. I'm not sure, actually... but 'all six full size' would probably be best. That or the N64 layout, but with the C buttons larger so that they'd work better for SNES stuff (but still smaller than A and B)...). And add handles so you can expand the shoulder buttons into large shoulder buttons or triggers, that would be much nicer.

Anyway, they need to do something, but can't keep this... OoT was painful enough as it is on the GC controller and that has shoulder buttons that one can pretend are partway to being triggers! This thing is even worse, and thus it'd be even more painful to play N64 games on this thing than it already is on the Cube... that's not good, if they're trying to sell the VC for N64 as well as NES and SNES...

Oh yes, and what about Genesis? Would games that used the six-button pad have the last two functions relegated to the shoulder buttons? Awful! (anyone who has played SFII or any other six button fighting game on a Genesis, Saturn, N64, or arcade stick, and then played it on any of the numerous four-face-button consoles would know how badly such games need six face buttons...)

This would also preclude Saturn support without special controllers because of a lack of buttons, obviously.

Genesis/Saturn/Sidewinder Gamepad of course used
X Y Z
A B C

but that's easy enough to adapt to any six button layout.

Quote:For all the reasons I mentioned above, it completely fails to be a serious N64-replacement pad.

Use the GC controller then.

Yep, it would work fine with those changes. We're in agreement.

Further, such a layout gives that controller the same number of buttons as the competition, even without clickable sticks, which means our dream controller would be "port ready".

And hey, Z1 and Z2 eh? That's an interesting idea. What to name the should buttons? Well, I think perhaps the PS2 naming convention would work fine. L1 and L2, R1 and R2. If they want, put the digital click in the triggers too (not needed, but helpful in knowing when you are about to switch functionality).

Such a controller would be the optimum solution for backwards compatibility. As far as correct button names... Yeah there are a lot of solutions. Unfortunatly, I'm afraid none of them work all that great. At least using the SNES naming works for two systems, but for N64 and Gamecube? We'll just have to accept there's no perfect naming solution and go with it I guess... Wait, the only real solution is in the form of those "shudder" name plates. Since those actually replace the buttons too (the plastic parts you press anyway), they could sell all manner of cheap little shells with configurations for N64 and Gamecube (in tacky art styles like Zebra or "spilled some paint", or maybe even Tiger stripes! Tigers are cool! I'd just go for "retro" myself, with the "actual" names on the original plates (they do need official names for the buttons overall for the purpose of porting normal controller style games to the system)).

GR, read what he said. The GCN controller has a lacking in the N64 controller emulation department. Namely, there are a number of times in a couple, only a couple, N64 games where I've needed to press opposing directions on the C buttons (left and right at once, or up and down at once) which just aren't possible on a control stick. Further, it isn't nearly as responsive to use a stick as it is to hit a button. And we already covered why a 4 button layout is just not sufficient a lot of the time. The gamecube controller is great on it's own, but if you want to emulate N64 games, you need the old layout the games were desiged around. No need for 3 prongs, I just mean the buttons need to be in the same layout.

I think the solution I described above does the job very well.

Wii stuff goes here - Rocky Raccoon - 9th May 2006

meh, it'll be fine. most n64 games used the c-buttons for camera or movement, and that can easily be done with the second stick.

Quote:Use the GC controller then.

You didn't read what I wrote, did you...

:bang: :bang: :bang: :bang: :bang:

READ next time!

Quote:Yep, it would work fine with those changes. We're in agreement.

Hah, you say it as if that'd be an easy, simple list of minor changes they could easily and unobtrusively add... :D

Quote:And hey, Z1 and Z2 eh? That's an interesting idea. What to name the should buttons? Well, I think perhaps the PS2 naming convention would work fine. L1 and L2, R1 and R2. If they want, put the digital click in the triggers too (not needed, but helpful in knowing when you are about to switch functionality).

I believe that the two shoulder buttons on the nunchuck are named Z1 and Z2, so I was using those names... they work as well as any.

Quote:Such a controller would be the optimum solution for backwards compatibility. As far as correct button names... Yeah there are a lot of solutions. Unfortunatly, I'm afraid none of them work all that great. At least using the SNES naming works for two systems, but for N64 and Gamecube? We'll just have to accept there's no perfect naming solution and go with it I guess... Wait, the only real solution is in the form of those "shudder" name plates. Since those actually replace the buttons too (the plastic parts you press anyway), they could sell all manner of cheap little shells with configurations for N64 and Gamecube (in tacky art styles like Zebra or "spilled some paint", or maybe even Tiger stripes! Tigers are cool! I'd just go for "retro" myself, with the "actual" names on the original plates (they do need official names for the buttons overall for the purpose of porting normal controller style games to the system)).

This controller does not need to be fully GC compatible -- the GC controllers are for that. It needs to be compatible with games ported from other consoles (PS3/X360 mainly) and all the systems in the Virtual Console. A much harder task... and yeah, there is no good button naming system. The simplest one is to go the way of PC gamepads and simply give the buttons numbers, not names, so that they don't have letters on them that incorrectly tie your memory to a symbol that is wrong... but as a console buttons traditionally aren't just numbered, so that's not the greatest answer either. Saying 'reprogram the games to change button references' is perhaps the best solution (for whatever layout you end up with), but that'd require a lot more effort... it's clearly the best answer, but it'd require a lot more effort. Maybe too much to make it feasible. But I don't see any other truly good solution... 'just have A be v (C-down) in this game and II in that game' would get very confusing, to say the least!

Nameplates would work too. But I agree, that's not exactly a good solution either...

Quote:meh, it'll be fine. most n64 games used the c-buttons for camera or movement, and that can easily be done with the second stick.

Mistaken sentiments like these and GR's make me want to go through my entire N64 collection and detail how large the number of games truly is that would be broken by the loss of those two essential face buttons is... maybe I will.

please, list the games that absolutely require the c buttons.

Quote:please, list the games that absolutely require the c buttons.

A lot games just used it for camera control, FPSs used it for movement. I can't think of any off-hand that used it for anything else, maybe some of the fighters.

yeah i know, i meant games that used c-buttons that couldn't be done with a stick

Try Banjo's games, or maybe Paper Mario, or Zelda. Or, for one where you have to hold down opposing directions, try Tetrisphere and a number of the special passwords that unlocked special game modes (in fact, a lot of the games with odd button codes like that).

But you are ignoring the other issue, response time. A button gives a lot quicker response times when it comes to things like firing an arrow or spitting eggs at people than any direction on a stick. Legend of Legaia, a PS1 game, just so happened to let you use the second stick for all the RPG actions, but using it was just far too awkward. And, let's not forget accidently going at just the wrong angle and hitting the wrong thing, which happens more often using a stick for commands meant for buttons than using the actual buttons.

Suffice it to say that a 6 button layout is still needed. I would actually almost be fully satisfied if they just added a 6 button layout to the retro controller (remembering that yes, I can in fact use Gamecube controllers on the system). I'd really like a reason why they came up with such a screwy place to put those second shoulder buttons. Well, I suppose if they are "power" and "menu" buttons, making them hard to reach is a good call, and they aren't really needed if it's only for N64 and below. Adding two grips and adding two buttons should be fine then.

Quote:Try Banjo's games, or maybe Paper Mario, or Zelda. Or, for one where you have to hold down opposing directions, try Tetrisphere and a number of the special passwords that unlocked special game modes (in fact, a lot of the games with odd button codes like that).

But you are ignoring the other issue, response time. A button gives a lot quicker response times when it comes to things like firing an arrow or spitting eggs at people than any direction on a stick. Legend of Legaia, a PS1 game, just so happened to let you use the second stick for all the RPG actions, but using it was just far too awkward. And, let's not forget accidently going at just the wrong angle and hitting the wrong thing, which happens more often using a stick for commands meant for buttons than using the actual buttons.

Suffice it to say that a 6 button layout is still needed. I would actually almost be fully satisfied if they just added a 6 button layout to the retro controller (remembering that yes, I can in fact use Gamecube controllers on the system). I'd really like a reason why they came up with such a screwy place to put those second shoulder buttons. Well, I suppose if they are "power" and "menu" buttons, making them hard to reach is a good call, and they aren't really needed if it's only for N64 and below. Adding two grips and adding two buttons should be fine then.

At least SOMEONE understands... but yes, everything you say is absolutely correct. GR and RR (and evidently Nintendo itsself) are fooling themselves if they think that this will actually work, and have seriously selective memory if they think that N64 games only used the C-stick to move around the camera. That's just not true. The only genre where there is a shred of truth to it is 3d platformers, and even THERE it's not all true, as DJ says with the example of Rare's platformers which use the C-buttons as buttons, and all of them! But in so many other games ...

Well, again, just play OoT for GC. Two buttons are gone and there is NO solution for it -- you now have to use the ANALOG STICK for a face button, and a shoulder button for another? What the heck? It's awful! It does not work! Not now, not ever! I tried... it's pretty bad. And while Zelda can kind of limp along with a two-item inventory, other games... well, no. From fighting games (absolutely impossible to do decently, as I said) to racing games (most of which use the C buttons, and none of which use them for anything that makes any sense to put on an analog stick -- uhh, so now rightstick-up is drop weapon, and rightstick-left is turbo, and A is accelerate, and B is brake, and X is handbrake, and Y is reset, or something? Ack! Awful! I have a lot of N64 racing games, and most of them would be made significantly worse with this controller...) to action games (JFG, anyone? Thought not!) to action/RPGs (Gauntlet: Legends' inventory system...) to platformers (Rare's platformers, or the Goemon games, or others), it's just insane to expect this thing to work with games designed for a vastly different (and, I would add, vastly superior) controller like the N64 controller.

Banjo used the c-sticks for camera. oot worked just fine with a gc controller.

you guys complain a lot, lol.

http://www.break.com/movies/miketysonpunchout.html

Selective memory indeed. Try shooting an egg without using a C button. Yes it did use the c buttons for a camera, but it also used it for other purposes.

I will freely state that I prefer using a stick for things like movement. It is unfortunate that a lot of the time, that just dont' make for a good solution. I've tried to make it work, but it didn't. It is very awkward. All we're asking for is two buttons really. Why defend something like this? I will use the stick for a game like Perfect Dark, sure, because I would prefer a stick for movement in a game like that. But if I'm playing Banjo Kazooie, I want to be able to hit buttons normally. I need QUICK access to buttons and I don't want to be tripping over a control stick like I did in OOT for Gamecube. The game worked well "enough", but like ABF I basically just used the buttons and only stuck unimportant items on the C stick. Further, I just have to say that playing the Ocarina was a tad on the awkward side with the stick. Too easy to press the wrong direction.

oh yeah, so banjo used a c button. and why couldn't you use one of the shoulder buttons on the retro controller for that?

they should change the name of the system from wii to waa since nintendo fans cry so much.

A C button? No, all 4, each for a different purpose after you hold down the R button.

There are two possibilities. One, you never played the game. Two, you are purposefully ignoring the facts so you can continue deluding yourself.

are you kidding me, i own both n64 banjos and the gba game. do you often make these kinds of ignorant assumptions?

and what would i gain by deluding myself here? the controller is fine, we'll adapt. stop being a big baby. if you hate it so much you can play your n64!

I really don't have any idea what you would have to gain from it, but apparently you totally forgot about the rest of the c buttons when you specifically said not only so "A C button is used" but that it could be mapped to some other button. Did you forget things like the invulnerability command and so on?

At any rate, that is why the controller is not "fine". It can use some work. I'm not going to scream about it if they don't do it, I can in fact play my N64, but it is still a stupid move and it should be acknowledged, not swept under the rug and ignored. We'll "adapt" you say, but we shouldn't have to adapt. They should. I could adapt to using a single button mouse, but I don't want to.

Wii stuff goes here - Smoke - 9th May 2006

Maybe they'll add a couple buttons? It's not something I'm going to worry about.

Classic Bonk On Wii at E3

Tomorrow's going to be interesting.

Wii stuff goes here - Rocky Raccoon - 10th May 2006

sorry dj, but you and falcon have been crying your eyes out over this. the controller is fine. you'll adapt. stop being babies.

Wii stuff goes here - lazyfatbum - 10th May 2006

Yeah! babies! lol... that's funny because babies are always crying, just like they are now.... good comparison!

Anyway, I totally agree that N64 games will be weird on this thing. But check it out; it has the GC L and R that look to be double clickness, then you have z1 and z2 buttons as well. the 4 face buttons SNES style and two sticks. So you just poped in Turok: the dinosaur hunter.

4 face buttons are movement, just as the c buttons (or use the stick if you like it), they should be close enough together to use as c-buttons anway.

either stick looks (aims)

z1 and z2 scrolls weapons

L map

R jump

d-pad toggles walk or run

viola!

...so how the fuck do you FIRE?

yeah, in order for N64 games to work on this thing, it will need new mapping of the buttons.... in mio, that detracts froom the retro experience. I trust nintendo, and this thing could have actual triggers on it's back we dont know about. but imagine mario 64 in your head, you're running, hey you need to do a long jump, you press and hold Z while... yeah, the whole feeling is gone.

And then of course, filed under obvious, is the likely release of retro controllers that look like stylized versions of the originals.

But there is definitely good news in all of this, and that is a sweet looking retro pad (I love the apple look), and quality clack-clack GC control sticks instead of the 64's thumb murderer. All we need, Nintendo, is to see how this works with complicated N64 games. I see how Mario 64 would work on it, I see how OoT will work on it (I liked the c-stick on the GC pad for secondary items). But games that use the c-buttons as movement, getting translated to the second stick, will piss me off.

IF, and this is a major, major if. If, Goldeneye, Rage Wars or PD were on the VC, and i cant use face buttons for movement, I will kill someone. Probably myself, but maybe the president of these united states.

they should put you guys into yoshi's island 2 along with baby mario, baby peach, and baby dk. :D

Wii stuff goes here - lazyfatbum - 10th May 2006

These games are to be announced during the show and/or on the floor playable. Many do not have titles yet, but atleast know their develoers

Activision: Tony Hawk’s Downhill Jam TM - Marvel TM: Ultimate Alliance - Call of Duty ® 3

AQ Interactive: Boxing Action

Atari: Dragon Ball Z Budokai: Tenkaichi 2

Atlus: Trauma Center: Second Opinion <-- lmao

BANPRESTO Family Action Game

Buena Vista Games: Disney’s Chicken Little: Ace in Action - Disney’s Meet the Robinsons

Capcom Resident Evil series <== WTF???

D3Publisher SIMPLE series - Original Action Game

Eidos: Title TBD <-- guess :D

Electronic Arts: Madden NFL ’07 - Medal of Honor Airborne

EPOCH: Title TBD

From Software: Action Game

Genki: Title TBD

HUDSON SOFT: BOMBERMAN LAND - Flight Game

JALECO: Title TBD

KOEI: Sengoku Action

Konami Elebits: - Soccer Game

Majesco: Bust-A-Move Revolution

Marvelous Interactive: BOKUJO MONOGATARI - Heroes - KAWA NO NUSHITSURI - Original Simulation

Mastiff: Mr. D. Goes to Town (working title) The Ant Bully

Midway Games: Happy Feet - New Vertical Scroll Shooting Game

MILESTONE: New Action Game - Character Action Game

MTO: SAN-X All-star Revolution

NAMCO BANDAI Games: FINAL FURLONG - Mobile Suit GUNDAM - SD GUNDAM G BREAKER - DIGIMON - ONE PIECE UNLIMITED ADVENTURE - New Action Game - New RPG - TAMAGOTCHI - Title TBD

Natsume (developed by Marvelous) Harvest Moon

NINTENDO: Disaster: Day of Crisis TM - Excite Truck TM - Fire Emblem TM - Metroid ® Prime 3: Corruption - Project H.A.M.M.E.R. TM - Super Mario ® Galaxy - The Legend of Zelda ®: Twilight Princess - WarioWare TM: Smooth Moves - Wii Sports

Sega: Super Monkey Ball Banana Blitz - SONIC WILD FIRE

SNK: Metal Slug Anthology

Spike: Necro-Nesia - Jawa

Squeenix: CODENAME: FINAL FANTASY ® CRYSTAL CHRONICLES: Crystal Bearers TM - DRAGON QUEST SWORDS TM: The Masked Queen and the Tower of Mirrors TM

TAITO: Turn IT around!! - Let’s go by train! - Cooking Mama: Cooking with International Friends

TECMO Super Swing Golf PANGYA

The Game Factory: Title TBD

THQ: Avatar: The Last Airbender - SpongeBob SquarePants: Creature from the Krusty Krab - Disney/Pixar Cars

TOMY: Action Game - Battle Action

Ubisoft: Open Season - Rayman Raving Rabbids - RED STEEL

Vivendi Universal Games: Title TBD

Warner Bros. Interactive Entertainment: Title TBD

Wii stuff goes here - A Black Falcon - 10th May 2006

Quote:Maybe they'll add a couple buttons? It's not something I'm going to worry about.

How could anyone who has played many N64 games not be seriously worried...

Quote:sorry dj, but you and falcon have been crying your eyes out over this. the controller is fine. you'll adapt. stop being babies.

Now you're just proving that you're not able to seriously think about this. A one sentence post saying "I'm right" as an appropriate response to posts like ours? Sorry, but no... the controller is not fine. Saying it is won't make it one bit better.

Quote:...so how the fuck do you FIRE?

yeah, in order for N64 games to work on this thing, it will need new mapping of the buttons.... in mio, that detracts froom the retro experience. I trust nintendo, and this thing could have actual triggers on it's back we dont know about. but imagine mario 64 in your head, you're running, hey you need to do a long jump, you press and hold Z while... yeah, the whole feeling is gone.

And then of course, filed under obvious, is the likely release of retro controllers that look like stylized versions of the originals.

Well, I doubt we'll see Turok because of how Acclaim ceased to exist (unless someone owns the game libraries of companies like Acclaim and 3D0, I don't see how their lineups could show up... which would be really too bad, both of those companies released some great N64 games! (BattleTanx: Global Assualt for instance (hey, there's another game which would be completely broken trying to convert it over to this new "controller"!), or Extreme-G (another!) and Extreme-G 2 (another!), or All-Star Baseball...)

Really, they had two choices: Clone the GC controller and add in the two missing buttons again, clone the N64 controller's layout and positioning (but perhaps in a 2-prong design if they think that people don't like three, but I liked the 3 prong design...), or fail to make a controller capable of running N64 games. They chose the third option.

Quote:(I liked the c-stick on the GC pad for secondary items).

Hold the right stick left while you aim with the left stick! Yeah, that worked REAL well! Rolleyes

Quote:IF, and this is a major, major if. If, Goldeneye, Rage Wars or PD were on the VC, and i cant use face buttons for movement, I will kill someone. Probably myself, but maybe the president of these united states.

Maybe since Buena Vista Games owns the Turok liscence they own the rights to the older Turok games too, but maybe not, I don't know... but Rare FPSes? I don't think that'll happen.

Quote:These games are to be announced during the show and/or on the floor playable. Many do not have titles yet, but atleast know their develoers

Yeah, a good list, and it'll just get better... :)

Wii stuff goes here - Great Rumbler - 10th May 2006

I wouldn't be surprised if Nintendo tweaked some of the games so they'll work with the retro controller.

Even if they did save its N64 and Genesis 6-button game usability (and don't say shoulder buttons are just as good, they aren't... they are slower to access, harder to use frequently, clumsily laid out (TWO on each side HORIZONTALLY? Wha...)... just generally worse...) by bringing back the two missing face buttons, that wouldn't doesn't change the fact that it's a poor, outdated thing that is missing virtually every improvement that has been made to console controllers over the past decade save the analog stick...

[Image: 12914075137.jpg]

[Image: 12914053256.jpg]

[Image: wiimote.jpg]

[Image: hgu2y5.jpg]

New Mario Galaxy video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g8TwAyIdKI0

Use the better link in the other thread instead of that thing... :)

Oh, the lightgun is interesting. IGN says that there's a Duck Hunt game coming...

Anyway, the most important thing that Nintendo needs to change on the Revolution is to fix the Classic Controller. That or add another face button on the Wiimote so that you can just use that for N64 games... (Z1 and Z2 for Z and L, dpad for C buttons, A for A, B for R, the only missing button is B...) :) But the former is a better idea than the latter. There's more than just N64 games that will need that six button layout.

The most important thing that they won't tell us that I want to know, however, is whether there will be region encoding... I really hope not, but given that they have said nothing, I suspect that there will be... :( On 360 it's optional, and supposedly on PS3 there won't be any on the games (but there will be for movies I assume...), but Nintendo has always liked separating up the world and I don't see that changing... though it'd be really nice if it did. :)

Wii stuff goes here - Dark Jaguar - 10th May 2006

Wait, Rocky, are you SURE you aren't OB1? You sure seem to be copying his manerisms... We are making a valid point. We aren't "crying" over this, it's not like we are madly upset about it, we are just pointing out that it is in fact a flaw. However, your response is to call us completely wrong, idiots, crybabies, and you are 100% right, as though we are in an argument or something. We'd like 6 face buttons, that's all. If you want to adapt, that's fine, but yeesh don't be a jerk.

Anyway lazy, yeah I can see some reworked controls, but that means extra work on a lot of different games since one game's optimum controls won't work with another's, and in some ways the fact that movement was designed with 4 buttons in mind instead of a fully controllable axis, yeah I can see issues with using the stick for movement, even if that's what it's for :D. So yeah, the best solution is still just adding 2 more buttons. They have plenty of time after all, so it shouldn't be that hard as I don't think they've even gone into production yet.

haha, ok so first off, who the hell is OB1, and secondly, where did i utter the word "idiot" in reference to any of you? i just think you're making a huge deal out of something insignificant.

Never said the word, but it is pretty clear you think we are stupid for having a contrary opinion. Not once have you been polite or considerate about this. You are the one making a big deal out of this. Enough with your flame war. Be nice.

if you think i think you're stupid that just your insecurity talkin. i don't think you guys are dumb, just really whiney.

Blah blah blah. You are talking in a very demeaning tone and you don't even realize it. How am I supposed to take it when you say "the controller is fine! Stop being babies!". Jerk.

hahaha, i guess i just assumed that whenever someone calls another person a baby they realize that they're being more playful than serious. but i don't know how old some of you are, maybe you're kind of young and get easily offended by being called a baby? no offence is that offends you! lol

cheer up dr. serious!

HAHAHHAHAHA!

Riiight. Look you know very well you were being demeaning so don't play it off like "c'mon I was just joking! Don't be like that! What... WHAT?!"

i am very confused right now. are you just joking or are you actually serious?

Wouldn't YOU like to know? In answer, a little of both. I'm serious that you should be a little more polite, or at least make it a lot more obvious if you really don't have a problem with someone having a contrary opinion (I don't know, were you saying you were just pretending to have a problem with me and agreed with me?).

No DJ, I think OB1 was usually a bit more reasonable than this... well okay, not always. But sometimes. :)

And he used capital letters... :D

You guys are so weird.

i don't get it, i have a different opinion from you guys regarding the controller and that makes me impolite? how on earth do you people function in real-life situations in everyday society?

jaguar: i don't the music they're playing at this party.

some person: i like it.

jaguar: it's really bad, they should turn it off.

some person: oh stop being a baby *smiling in a playful manner*

jaguar: you jerk! you're so rude!

some person: what

That isn't what happened though. I was saying my opinion and you were the one arguing that I should change my mind.

By the way, this is the same stuff OB1 did, saying "how do you guys surivive in social situations" and so on.

Maybe everyone in Colorado is like this?

i don't remember arguing that you should change your mind, just that you're being a "baby" about this. it's not a big deal.

as for people in colorado, i wouldn't know. i'm only here for college and grew up in miami. but i guess you can lump me into the "sometimes disagrees with people and likes to socialize in real life" group if it so pleases you...

But that's just the thing... while most things are indeed matters of opinion, I don't think this is one of those. This is a thing where it is objective fact that N64 games will not work as well on this poor excuse for an N64-compatible controller. If you're going to debate that, you'd better actually come up with something in its defence beyond "You are wrong", because I've proven quite well several times now how badly it fails... it's really mystifying how you can say it's not a problem ("you" including GR too of course). Just go back to your N64 and play some games again and you should notice pretty quickly how big a problem losing those two buttons will be if this change sticks.

why would i want to argue something so pointless when i don't feel the need to "prove you wrong"? I don't think it's a big deal, nuff said.