Tendo City
No More Mother - Printable Version

+- Tendo City (https://www.tendocity.net)
+-- Forum: Tendo City: Metropolitan District (https://www.tendocity.net/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+--- Forum: Tendo City (https://www.tendocity.net/forumdisplay.php?fid=42)
+--- Thread: No More Mother (/showthread.php?tid=3712)

No More Mother - Smoke - 3rd May 2006

Link

No More Mother - Dark Jaguar - 3rd May 2006

Why didn't you just link to the IGN article instead of linking to a forum that linked to it?

Anyway, interesting but I think too much is being put into this. All he's said is he won't be working on Mother 4. I'm not sure that translates to "I'm never working on this series again, it has drained away a 5th of my life!". He might come back to it some day after his next project. Further, there's the very likely possibility that if Nintendo is interested in making more money off the franchise, it'll be handed over to another designer to work on.

At any rate, no need to worry about it as we have yet to see the game announced for the States. I'd love to see all 3 games released here mind you :D, but I'll settle for the 3rd... I know that the compilation of the first two actually had it's flaws. For example, the dumbed down dungeon from the unreleased Earthbound Zero version of the first game made it's way into the Japanese game when they also stuck in the "run" command. And, the GBA Mother 2 game has some lackluster sound compaired to the SNES (er, Super Famicom) version. They could clean the first up by just making sure they include exactly the Famicom game ONLY altering it with the additional run command, and the second one can probably be fixed by, um, well why not just release the collection, updated with fixes for all the issues people complain about, on the DS?

No More Mother - A Black Falcon - 3rd May 2006

Quote:Why didn't you just link to the IGN article instead of linking to a forum that linked to it?

Agreed, link the actual article, not a forum post about the article...

Anyway, until they release Earthbound 3 here, that doesn't matter much... and as the article points out, it was 10 years between 2 and 3. People's minds change.

Dark Jaguar Wrote:Why didn't you just link to the IGN article instead of linking to a forum that linked to it?
Because I feel like it. You should also read the forum post. It explains some things. Like why there might not be a "next project".

Explains according to some forum goer at any rate. All that person lists as source is IGN, so whatever else is said there is baseless, at least as far as I can tell.

You can be so damn annoying.

Tsubasa no Tenshi Wrote:All this really meens is that we probally won't see Mother 4 until the year 2020... either that or Nintendo simply will have someone else work on it instead.

Kobun Heat Wrote:There's about as much chance of that as there is of Bloomsbury having somebody else write Harry Potter books after J.K. Rowling finishes the last one.

Ranger X Wrote:Just change the producer. Like if the franchise was owned by this guy or something LOL
I don't see a problem and you guys seriously shouldn't give a fuck.

Kobun Heat Wrote:Itoi isn't the producer -- he's the writer, and he's famous in Japan. Not nerd-famous like Miyamoto, famous famous. Household word famous. Mother without him is literally like the scenario I described above.

He probably doesn't own it outright, but Nintendo wouldn't even consider doing it without him.

Ranger X Wrote:Imagine if it's the same guys as usual that are working on the game except for the writer.

Kobun Hea Wrote:Imagine if I was right and you were wrong.

Let me say this again: it is the equivalent of pulling JK Rowling from the Harry Potter series. Whether or not they could is entirely irrelevant. Mother is popular because it is a creation of Itoi.

Kobun Heat Wrote:I realize that Mother is a special case, which is why I've gone to some lengths to explain it rather than just sit back and assume that it is obvious. Mother came about as a game that was written by Itoi; that is its primary reason for being and the reason it sells. Dude's name is on the box.

Kobun Heat Wrote:In the credits for 3, Itoi is listed first, as "Story, Scenario, and Message." The game has three producers and two "progress supervisors," none of which are Itoi, which cements the impression in my mind that Itoi probably couldn't produce his way out of a paper bag.

But that is tangential. Mother games are like Itoi books; if he's not writing them there's no point. The end. For more, see Power-Up, pages 78-80.

Kobun Heat = Chris Kohler. Author of Power-Up and writer for Wired. He's at least as credible as IGN. And as you can see from those quotes Itoi is not a game developer. He's an author.

A lot of banter but not really that interesting...

It makes it clear that Itoi is not a game developer. He's a famous Japanese author.

No More Mother - lazyfatbum - 3rd May 2006

definitely not good news, however unless he actually dies, where there's a will there's a way.

Replace will with a solid gold money hat. He probably just wants to focus on writing books again.

No More Mother - lazyfatbum - 3rd May 2006

Exactly. :D

Speaking of earthbound, when does it come out?

No More Mother - Great Rumbler - 4th May 2006

Quote:Speaking of earthbound, when does it come out?

It just came out in Japan, as for America... *shrugs*

No More Mother - A Black Falcon - 4th May 2006

'Unlikely due to Nintendo's sometimes very odd decisions about which games should be released here and which shouldn't' is my guess...

No More Mother - Dark Jaguar - 4th May 2006

Earthbound is already out, Mother 3 on the other hand...

Well, let's hope Nintendo isn't an idiot and recognizes the site Starmen.net.

And again, even if Itoi dies, they could always go back to the series with another writer. They did it with Metroid and that worked out pretty well. Though, in all honesty, I haven't enjoyed the new Metroid games nearly as much as I did Metroid 3. It's just that I never felt totally absorbed by a massive alien world like I did in that game.

Metroid games aren't exactly known for their writing, while the Earthbound/Mother games are unique BECAUSE of it.

I'm of the impression that most of the jokes in Earthbound were the result of translation. Besides, it's not like a story like that is all that original. The idea is out there, all it takes is a writer to break down the formula to it's basic components and run an algorythm to generate the same thing over and over again. I do it with comedy all the time. Any comedy style can be broken down into it's component parts and turned into a that guy's joke generating engine.

All I'm saying is that there's no reason the storyline can't be taken over by someone else in the same way the gameplay could be taken over by someone else.

No More Mother - Smoke - 4th May 2006

And when J. K. Rowling is sick of writing the Harry Potter books they'll just get somebody else to write them.

No More Mother - Great Rumbler - 5th May 2006

Yeah! They'll just create an algorythm that will imitate J. K. Rowling's style of writing and make as many books at they want!!

No More Mother - Dark Jaguar - 10th May 2006

There is no "they" in that case, is there? Doesn't she alone own it?

That's not the case with Mother though. Nintendo owns it, so it's their call. Just get someone else to write it? It's doable. Maybe it'll be the same style by a talented writer, or maybe it'll be a new style by a talented writer, or maybe it'll be terrible, but if there's interest, Nintendo will certainly consider it.

Didn't they just get a new writer for the Fire Emblem series, for example, or are they still using the same guy?

I would be surprised if they are just completely LOST or something. Just get someone new. They did it with Star Trek.

No More Mother - A Black Falcon - 10th May 2006

No sign of this game for US release... expected, but sad. :(

No Legend of Starfi for the US either. Magical Vacation 2 is nice, though, given that we didn't get the first...