Tendo City
Reggie: "I'm going to give one little secret" - Printable Version

+- Tendo City (https://www.tendocity.net)
+-- Forum: Tendo City: Metropolitan District (https://www.tendocity.net/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+--- Forum: Tendo City (https://www.tendocity.net/forumdisplay.php?fid=42)
+--- Thread: Reggie: "I'm going to give one little secret" (/showthread.php?tid=3702)

Reggie: "I'm going to give one little secret" - Smoke - 28th April 2006

Quote:Fils-Aime: Racing Title for Wii to Show at E3
by Shawn White (04/28/06)

According to Trigames.net, Nintendo of America's Executive Vice President of Marketing and Sales Reggie Fils-Aime's made an appearance today at the Nintendo World Store in New York City where he revealed that the company is planning a racing title for E3.

"I'm going to give one little secret," Fils-Aime said. "Only one little secret, and hopefully I won't lose my job. We're going to show a racing game at E3 where you use the core controller in a very different way. That will answer all the questions to how you'll play a racing game."

Fils-Aime departed immediately afterward, without providing further specifics about the new title, according to Trigames.net.

This racing game is the first Nintendo title confirmed to be at E3 by a company executive, although other first-party titles such as Metroid Prime 3 and a new Super Smash Bros. are expected to be playable at the show.

The full Trigames.net article can be found here.

Revolution Report will be on-hand at E3 with impressions of all first- and third-party Wii titles.

Revolution Report

Reggie: "I'm going to give one little secret" - Smoke - 28th April 2006

marvelharvey Wrote:14 months ago, Nintendo approached the last company I worked at and asked for some design pitches on a full on 'proper' racing game, their words were: "On the same level as Forza"

12 months ago I left the company and have no idea the outcome of this, but deep down I know the studio aren't making it 1)because they're not competent enough 2)if they were doing so, the loose lipped fan boys working there would have told me by now.

However, I guess the good news is that Nintendo does know that this is one of the many genres that is missing from their portfolio and I presume that they are working with another studio as we speak to fill in this gap... at least they BETTER be!

GAF

Reggie: "I'm going to give one little secret" - Smoke - 29th April 2006

Reggie Q&A: http://www.trigames.net/media/music/Reggie_at_NWS_4282006.mp3

Text Version: http://trigames.net/newsitem.php?content_id=442&console=

Reggie: "I'm going to give one little secret" - Smoke - 29th April 2006

Video of Reggie at the Nintendo World Store

Reggie: "I'm going to give one little secret" - Paco - 29th April 2006

neat.

Nintendo needs their own Forza/Gran Turismo, but I'd rather have a new Wave Race or Mario Kart.

Reggie: "I'm going to give one little secret" - lazyfatbum - 29th April 2006

that's the idea though, Nintendo might be wanting to give us all of the above. But a super realistic racing game with no Mario and company? or could it be a physics-centric version of Mario kart/F-Zero, etc?

Reggie: "I'm going to give one little secret" - The Former DMiller - 29th April 2006

They have to make it a super realistic game in my opinion if they are going to attract a different type of audience then us Nintendo fanboys. Fans of realistic racing games would flock to the Rev...Wii if it has a racing game on par with Forza or GT that uses the system's unique control scheme.

Reggie: "I'm going to give one little secret" - Rocky Raccoon - 29th April 2006

i hope it's waverace

Reggie: "I'm going to give one little secret" - Great Rumbler - 29th April 2006

Personally, I'd like to see what they can do with a realistic racing game. It's not like if they DID make one that we wouldn't still get Mario Kart and F-Zero.

Reggie: "I'm going to give one little secret" - Rocky Raccoon - 29th April 2006

wave race is realistic

Indeed it is but certainly doesn't fall in to "forza" catagory.

Imagine a GT kinda thing, uber physics, classic Nintendo gameplay. stick shift controls with the wiimote (hold down B and then perform your shift, release B) as well as steering possibly through the use of the nunchucku (instead of the wiimote; All racing cars have zero power steering so you have to crank on the steering wheel at first until your speed is up, then make very slight movements) or have steering through the wiimote with shifting on the nunchuck (but we'd be driving left handed). And image the tracks, cars, etc all super realistic but with Mario and friends driving the cars. Not only would it be cool to see, but it would add a sense of humor and Nintendo to the game.

Maybe have realistic human figures wearing racing helmets with dark visors, but after you win a race and they remove their helmet, it's Mario, Luigi etc.

It's not just that i want to see a Nintendo touch to the game, but the game would actually sell more if it had Nintendo characters involved somehow. You make a pitstop and a group of Shyguy's run out to tune the car, falling over, being stupid and funny and then you go back in to the race. The cars couold even have ads on them for other games, like you have the Wii Madden EA F-1, though the business-smart choice would be to get actual ads on them and help pay for the development of the game.

I dunno, i could see a super realistic F-Zero, but it wouldn't catch the racings fans; it would appeal to fantasy racers annd Nintendo fans. I see this game being a direct comparison to GT, which means the most important facctor is getting the liscenses of the real cars. but at the same time, i could see Nintendo putting a spin on it and taking elements from Burnout, just a much more realistic depiction... because is crashing in to shit is fun. and it's 50% of the reason Wii like racing games anyway :D

Reggie: "I'm going to give one little secret" - A Black Falcon - 29th April 2006

Realistic simulation racing? Blah, I've never liked those games nearly as much as arcadish/futuristic/kart racers... so much less fun...

All I want for racing games is Midway's old arcade division back. What kind of idiots close the studio that had made Rush 2049 and Hydro Thunder... but I know that won't happen. :( Acclaim Cheltenham would be nice to still have around too, after how awesome XGRA was... :(

I aree completely, i cant stand GT and the like but they sell like crack and people seem to love them. Plus with nintendo behind it yunno its going to be fun.

It being Nintendo and all, I expect a realistic looking racer, possibly real liscenses but I think it will have more arcade appeal than GT.

Oh shit, it's Rad Racer. I just realized that, it has to be, Nintendo is striking at the core of the 80's when they were king and everyone's on an 80's kick lately. Rad Racer is also owned by nintendo and is their only property to have realistic cars. Anybody remember what came with Rad Racer?

Yeah.

Fuck.

Reggie: "I'm going to give one little secret" - The Former DMiller - 29th April 2006

It doesn't have to be an existing franchise. Microsoft totally created Forza to compete with GT, and I'm pretty sure it's going to be the same situation with Nintendo. I'm not a biggest fan of the realistic racers either, but lazy's right saying people seem to love them so Nintendo needs one if they are planning on expanding their marketshare.

Reggie: "I'm going to give one little secret" - Rocky Raccoon - 30th April 2006

nintendo should mix wave race and gran turismo, where you use jetskis on pavement. That would be so cool. i guess you'd have to be dragged around tho..

Reggie: "I'm going to give one little secret" - Dark Jaguar - 30th April 2006

Right, like he's actually going to lose his job. If it was really in danger, he wouldn't have said it. Clearly, he's just acting the part of the rebel as per company orders.

Reggie: "I'm going to give one little secret" - A Black Falcon - 30th April 2006

Quote:nintendo should mix wave race and gran turismo, where you use jetskis on pavement. That would be so cool. i guess you'd have to be dragged around tho..

That description made me think of JetMoto... :)

Arcade/futuristic racing games are great.

Oh, and Wave Race isn't realistic, not even close... yeah, it has some decent water physics, but vehicle handling? Play some real sim racers and it's obvious that Wave Race is an arcade-style game. Though it's certainly more fun than most such titles...

Quote:Right, like he's actually going to lose his job. If it was really in danger, he wouldn't have said it. Clearly, he's just acting the part of the rebel as per company orders.

Usually this is true, but once in a while it is a genuine action without orders that they might not supposed to be saying...

But you're right, usually not. :)

Reggie: "I'm going to give one little secret" - Weltall - 30th April 2006

Rad Racer was a Square creation. Nintendo merely published it outside of Japan. They don't own property rights.

Reggie: "I'm going to give one little secret" - Dark Jaguar - 30th April 2006

And it didn't even do that well, if I recall. Square was going to go out of business after making their final project, their last story, their final fantasy.

Reggie: "I'm going to give one little secret" - Smoke - 1st May 2006

No Mario, no franchise characters. They need to come up with some original games. Some new franchises. Why is it Nintendo fans seem to want nothing but sequels?

Reggie: "I'm going to give one little secret" - lazyfatbum - 1st May 2006

And a realistic GT like racer with some arcade mechanics with mario characters is a sequel to what exactly? Nintendo fans want to see the characters and games with Nintendo characters sell more, even if its a cameo. New characters would rock too, but there are no 'characters' in GT or forza.

Just because Nintendo says it's Zelda or Metroid or Mario doesnt mean you're going to be playing the same game as last time - even when they re-release something it gets updated. The actual 'sequels' are completely new games that could even be called completely different franchises alot of the time because it's been overhauled to the point of it being a completely new game (but rarely going outside its genre, obviously Mario and friends is a different story). If Nintendo introduces a new genre they either present it to us with Mario or give us a new character and that's exactly as it should be.

As far as rights, I believe Nintendo holds something and Square liscensed both games to Nintendo, so Nintendo might have owned them for a period of time. as far as sales, I dunno, but everyone I knew in LA (including all of my sister's friends) played Rad Racer. I think the sales of Rad Racer 2 though were lacking, but 1 was quite popular... atleast where i lived.

Reggie: "I'm going to give one little secret" - Smoke - 2nd May 2006

I want them to make an arcade racer with a shit-ton of cars that you can customize. That plus online play would work. They can call it something like "Nintendo GT".

P.S. I want Beetle Adventure Racing with upgraded graphics and online play on the Virtual Console.

Reggie: "I'm going to give one little secret" - A Black Falcon - 2nd May 2006

BAR is good, but it's not in my top 10 for N64 racing games, I think...

-Rush 2049
-Wipeout 64
-F-Zero X
-Extreme-G 2
-Mario Kart 64
-Diddy Kong Racing
-Hydro Thunder
-Rush 2: Extreme Racing USA
-Excitebike 64
-Ridge Racer 64

There's 10. :) And it's missing games such as Extreme-G 1 (removed it in favor of RR64, but it's deserving of being on that list really), 1080, Wave Race, etc... BAR is in that next group down, though (there are just so many N64 racing games... I know I've left out plenty of deserving titles.). Better than Cruis'n or Star Wars Episode 1 Racer, but not one of the absolute best... it's too 'Need for Speed'-ish, and not enough 'fun'-ish. Not enough 'Arcade'-ish perhaps? It's like what would happen if Rush 2 were crossed with NFS, and it's not as good as Rush, that's for sure.

Reggie: "I'm going to give one little secret" - Paco - 6th May 2006

rumor says it's a new Excitebike.

Reggie: "I'm going to give one little secret" - lazyfatbum - 6th May 2006

Oh, that would definitely work. I've been wanting an update to excitebike 64 for too long, it could still be done with leftfield but i doubt it, not that it matters. I'd rather see an NCL-only developed Excitebike anyway

Holding the wiimote horizontally like handbars yunno? to do a wheelie, just pull back while giving it gas, and to turn you can spin it or lean left and right with it (for sharper turns). that would be awesome, but the wiimote's a little too wii to hold with both hands, so maybe just one handed then.

Reggie: "I'm going to give one little secret" - A Black Falcon - 6th May 2006

Excitebike 64 was fantastic.