Tendo City
Revolution's final name....Wii. (pronounced we) - Printable Version

+- Tendo City (https://www.tendocity.net)
+-- Forum: Tendo City: Metropolitan District (https://www.tendocity.net/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+--- Forum: Tendo City (https://www.tendocity.net/forumdisplay.php?fid=42)
+--- Thread: Revolution's final name....Wii. (pronounced we) (/showthread.php?tid=3693)

Pages: 1 2 3

Revolution's final name....Wii. (pronounced we) - cppcrusader - 27th April 2006

Apparently Wii is the final name for the Revolution.

http://www.evilavatar.com/forums/showthread.php?t=12075

My thoughts, I don't like it.

Revolution's final name....Wii. (pronounced we) - Great Rumbler - 27th April 2006

Revolution's final name....Wii. (pronounced we) - A Black Falcon - 27th April 2006

I hope this isn't true, it'd be the best worst Nintendo console name since the StarCube... ... actually, this is worse than that... I'm just hoping that it's so stupid it's not true, but... http://www.1up.com/do/newsStory?cId=3150013

Revolution's final name....Wii. (pronounced we) - Great Rumbler - 27th April 2006

Nintendo actuallly has a WEBSITE for this. It's true.

http://www.nintendo.com/revolution

Revolution's final name....Wii. (pronounced we) - A Black Falcon - 27th April 2006

Stupid.

Ironically enough, when I first read the headline I read it as "why", and when I finished reading the story all I could think was "why?".

Personally I'm going to refuse to refer to it by its name and still call it the Revolution. I don't see how their marketing people would think that Wii would appeal to the large demographic that they're aiming for.

Revolution's final name....Wii. (pronounced we) - Sacred Jellybean - 27th April 2006

:S

Awful name. I prefer "Revolution" by a landslide.

Oh well.

Revolution's final name....Wii. (pronounced we) - N-Man - 27th April 2006

Well I do not really get this. There are, however, several things I don't really get. In life. Therefore I'm willing to suggest that my perplexity when faced with this name may stem from my own deficiencies.

But, probably not.

Revolution's final name....Wii. (pronounced we) - Dark Jaguar - 27th April 2006

Maybe in Japanese it's an AWESOME name. After all, it is short and efficient, so it says "Japanese" all over it.

But here, where Wii strung together is pronounced "ugh", it is a silly name.

Actually, I've recently been told that Wii does not exist in the Japanese language.

I meant in the context of the Japanese language rather than it actually being a Japanese word.

Quote:Personally I'm going to refuse to refer to it by its name and still call it the Revolution. I don't see how their marketing people would think that Wii would appeal to the large demographic that they're aiming for.

I refused to call the Nintendo Gamecube the "GAMECUBE NINTENDO", so why not this too... :)

Dark Jaguar Wrote:I meant in the context of the Japanese language rather than it actually being a Japanese word.

I think it has no context, at least that seems to be the case according to this Game Over article.

http://money.cnn.com/2006/04/27/commentary/game_over/nintendo/

Quote:
"The other systems have an extension of their current names; ours is a new leap to something different," Perrin Kaplan, Vice President of Marketing and Corporate Affairs for Nintendo of America

Since when was a Revolution not a leap to something different?

Quote:Personally I'm going to refuse to refer to it by its name and still call it the Revolution.

I cannot forsee myself ever referring to at as the "Nintendo Wii". I said it once, outloud, and it made me feel dirty...

Well, Revolution was clearly a boring name IMO. Everybody's having a revolution these days. Wii is creative, but it's just weird phonetically. I mean: I'm playing with my Wii? I'm playing games on my Wii?

What do you say in the store? I'll take a Wii, please? Give me a Wii?

With your friends? Do you want to come over and play with my Wii? Let's get a bunch of people together on my Wii?

My Wii connects to the internet!

etc.

I wonder if French people will like it...

Revolution's final name....Wii. (pronounced we) - lazyfatbum - 27th April 2006

hahaha oh my dear god get ready for it, there's going to be nine thousand piss jokes a minute in the coming months/years. "i cant wait to play with my wii wii!" - "then miyamoto talked about Wii...." - "With Metroid Prime 3, Nintendo will immerse you in Wii" hoo boy, it's gonna suck hard :D

Just for fun Nintendo needs to tack on another W so it reads as WWii, now we'll really get the 70 and up crowd.

the good news is, it's totally different which is neat, but so is calling the console the Shitcock Fuck Fuck dog Pussy and that's also a bad name. is anyone else getting flashbacks of Prince renaming himself as a symbol? God that was retarded, almost as bad as Wii, not quite though.

I-pod's a stupid name too, however it makes sense because it's a 'pod' that holds music and the I could stand for Internet and the fact that it's personal (I in the first person) as well as Apple's other products that also start with I. Wii means absolutely nothing, the W stands for what... World? and then ii is.... Internet.... Icing? Infrastructure? wtf.

The video is cool, the i's running around shooting and playing, totally gets the message across (kill children) but so would:

Nintendo Collective (JOIN US! this sounds harsher, Borg, all that)

Nintendo United (ONE CONSOLE, UNDER GOD, WITH MARIO AND ZELDA FOR ALL needs a theme and a president we dislike)

Nintendo Converge (makes me think of mutating.... dunno)

Nintendo Go (GO NINTENDO! GO NINTENDO! GO NINTENDO GOOOOO! rumored name a while ago, funny how it also works if you combine them, like 'Go Wii!")

Nintendo Connect (bland)

Nintendo US (universal system) huh? huh? damn i'm good.

aww fugit i'm calling it Nintendo Revolution regardless of what Nintendo's going to call it. does this means it's d/l service is gonna be called wii-fi? dear fat christ.

Revolution's final name....Wii. (pronounced we) - The Former DMiller - 27th April 2006

Yes, I believe the French will buy the Wii. But, seriously, what the hell is Nintendo thinking with this one? When I was finally start to think that they were making some good decisions this news hits. The mainstream American market is not going to take kindly to a system called the Wii no matter how cool the games are. I'd buy it if it was called Mario's Biggest Dump Ever Preserved for Posterity, but I know a lot of people who would avoid it just based on this name and Nintendo's reputation. Why would it be so bad to call it the Revolution? Revolution describes perfectly what Nintendo is trying to do with this generation, while Wii describes...well, I don't know what in the world it describes. I'm pretty disappointed in this choice.

If they use "We Are Family" in one of their commercials, I will seriously refuse to buy their console.

I think they are banking on the iPod style of naming. The name iPod doesn't really describe the product at all, but everyone knows what it is and what it does thanks to Apple's marketing. I'm betting Nintendo must have a huge marketing scheme up its sleeve to do something similar.

Otherwise this could just alienate the non-gaming crowd that they are trying to pull in even more.

The fact that they released the name early shows that they're willing to stand behind it. They knew people were going to react negatively toward the name and if they had announced it at E3 all their press would be about the crappy name. This way everybody gets to vent for a couple weeks and all the press they get will be focused on the games.

Its a bad way for them to rationalize it I know. I still think its a "wii-tarded" move.

Revolution's final name....Wii. (pronounced we) - Rocky Raccoon - 27th April 2006

i dunno, i think the whole image of the name could be good for nintendo and the direction they're taking. just saying it out loud does sound silly, but the image could be good. it doesn't sound like a kid's device, like a gamecube, playstation, dreamcast, or xbox does. i mean the pronunciation is slang for penis, pee, or little, but the spelling changes things.

Revolution's final name....Wii. (pronounced we) - Rocky Raccoon - 27th April 2006

http://www.gameinformer.com/News/Story/200604/N06.0427.1154.38678.htm

Quote:I cannot forsee myself ever referring to at as the "Nintendo Wii". I said it once, outloud, and it made me feel dirty...

Wii all like the Nintendo Wii?

... remember, it's not our fault that if this name sticks we're going to be subjected to five years of urine jokes, it's Nintendo's fault...

Quote:The mainstream American market is not going to take kindly to a system called the Wii no matter how cool the games are.

A potential concern...

Quote:If they use "We Are Family" in one of their commercials, I will seriously refuse to buy their console.

They'll definitely use some theme like that, though if that's a song reference, I have no idea... I'm just talking about the concept of wii/we as being 'all people'. Family included ('Family Computer', anyone?)

Doesn't make the name any less stupid, though... I mean, it's like if they had actually called their handheld the pNES (I think I got that name from Nintendorks or something...)... Portable NES, you know? :)

... oh, and one other thing, 'Wii as in We'? But i pronounced like e isn't English pronunciation... it's how most other nations in the world pronounce things, but not English... if you pronounce it like an English word it's more like 'Why'. Not a good allusion there... "Do you want a Nintendo Why?" "But why would I?"

I prefer it to clunky descriptive names like GAMEBOX or SYSTEMTHATPLAYSSTUFF, or X(TREME) BOX. and it's not as hippie-ish as "dream cast".

by November, we'll have accepted it.

This could either be the stupidest thing ever or the smartest thing ever...

not much middle ground it seems

[Image: mariowii9wk.jpg]

Saw this on another forum, couldn't resist posting it... :D

It is a name devoid of meaning. XBox is at least descriptive enough to point out the system is a box. Playstation is VERY descriptive. It's for playing things, maybe games, maybe a DVD, all at this station. Gamecube is a cube of games. Apple's iCraze is basically all about the fact that i stands for internet. Thing is everyone "has some internets" these days. Sticking i on something doesn't do much now except make people recognize a brand.

Wii though? WIreless Internet? That's all I can figure, but we already HAVE a term for that, it's called wi-fi, and it isn't pronounced like an idiot.

Yes, lazy and abf, this will create 5 years of elementary school level jokes.

And further, they WILL use the "We are family" song. ABF, consider yourself lucky to not know of that song. GR may call you stupid, but the reality is, he's as envious as I.

They might as well have called it the "Nintendo Sploitz" for all the meaning the name has to me.

This name has generated such great fan reaction!

Kind of funny...
[Image: wl3i1z.jpg]

okay
[Image: 00002tdq]

not so great but I posted it anyway
[Image: nintendo-wii2.jpg]

How they got the name?
[Image: committee.jpg]

The requisite Virtual Boy comparison
http://img171.imageshack.us/img171/2865/vboy4zb.jpg

http://img53.imageshack.us/img53/8273/wiitodaddycopy5kd.jpg

This one's a bit more positive. :)
[Image: wii.jpg]

Quote:Wii though? WIreless Internet? That's all I can figure, but we already HAVE a term for that, it's called wi-fi, and it isn't pronounced like an idiot.

Wi-Fi... one funny nickname for that is calling it 'weefie'... :) (and no, I didn't just make it up. My dad calls it that sometimes... :)) Not meant as a urine joke though, I believe...

Dark Jaguar Wrote:It is a name devoid of meaning. XBox is at least descriptive enough to point out the system is a box. Playstation is VERY descriptive. It's for playing things, maybe games, maybe a DVD, all at this station. Gamecube is a cube of games. Apple's iCraze is basically all about the fact that i stands for internet. Thing is everyone "has some internets" these days. Sticking i on something doesn't do much now except make people recognize a brand.

Wii though? WIreless Internet? That's all I can figure, but we already HAVE a term for that, it's called wi-fi, and it isn't pronounced like an idiot.

Yes, lazy and abf, this will create 5 years of elementary school level jokes.

And further, they WILL use the "We are family" song. ABF, consider yourself lucky to not know of that song. GR may call you stupid, but the reality is, he's as envious as I.

They might as well have called it the "Nintendo Sploitz" for all the meaning the name has to me.
nintendo has explained what it means, and i think they were quoted in this thread.

this was funny: http://revolution.ign.com/articles/703/703593p1.html

Revolution's final name....Wii. (pronounced we) - lazyfatbum - 27th April 2006

I..... I like the name. :crap:

I've looked at it, i've thought about it, it's like seeing a shocking piece of art and trying to figure it out and while Wii means alot of things, piss included, there's no real answer to that question. It just... is. the two lower case i's really make it fun to look at... while the W is like.... it's like...... but did you guys realize what Nintendo is confirming (unless they're just really dumb)? the two i's are two revcons; i think this is a good indicator that Wii will ship with two re...... wiicons... wiimotes? oh goodness that's just plain cute. i mean i'm a man, i'm married, i have intercourse and drink beer and do man-things but christ that is cute it's like seeing a puppy sneeze. i actually said "aww" when i typed wiimote, that's how fucking sad I am right now. Nintendo has harmed me emotionally; i have become faggot destroyer of worlds.

Brand me fanboy -- I like Wii.

Revolution's final name....Wii. (pronounced we) - N_A - 27th April 2006

There is no such tone as "wii" in Japanese.

Revolution's final name....Wii. (pronounced we) - Smoke - 27th April 2006

I like it. I thought I was going to be the only one until I saw Rocky's post. Like Nintendo it's different. It's short, it's creative. It emphasises community. The two i's look like the controllers. And best of all it's not Nintendo Go.

It's better than Xbox. I think I have a solution for all of the haters too. How many of you who had one back in the day referred to your NES as "my NES"? Just refer to it as the Nintendo. e.g. "That's my Nintendo." or "Let's play Nintendo." It's like the 80's all over again.

Revolution's final name....Wii. (pronounced we) - EdenMaster - 27th April 2006

Wh...I...Th...

N-no, this can't be. Where the hell did this come from?

Wii.

WII.

Why??

Get on MSN, Eden!

Revolution's final name....Wii. (pronounced we) - Soul Reaver - 27th April 2006

Wii will rock you, because Wii are the champion. Wii will never give up, and never surrender!

Wii wii wii.

Wii are family!

I really hope they don't use that song...

Revolution's final name....Wii. (pronounced we) - Weltall - 27th April 2006

Holy shit, Soul Reaver posted.

I fucking hate the name, I don't care how creative or avant-garde it's supposed to be.

I'm just going to call it the Star Cube. I liked that name anyway.

He posted because he is on MSN and we told him to. :)

Since we all agree we won't call it the Wii, we should also agree on a new name. I propose "Mario SexSystem".

lazyfatbum Wrote:I..... I like the name. :crap:

I've looked at it, i've thought about it, it's like seeing a shocking piece of art and trying to figure it out and while Wii means alot of things, piss included, there's no real answer to that question. It just... is. the two lower case i's really make it fun to look at... while the W is like.... it's like...... but did you guys realize what Nintendo is confirming (unless they're just really dumb)? the two i's are two revcons; i think this is a good indicator that Wii will ship with two re...... wiicons... wiimotes? oh goodness that's just plain cute. i mean i'm a man, i'm married, i have intercourse and drink beer and do man-things but christ that is cute it's like seeing a puppy sneeze. i actually said "aww" when i typed wiimote, that's how fucking sad I am right now. Nintendo has harmed me emotionally; i have become faggot destroyer of worlds.

Brand me fanboy -- I like Wii.

lazy, this is a pretty BIG jump to make here. Nintendo created an entire name JUST to advertise that the system has two controllers? That's not that big a deal (well, it would be nice, but still, not "name of the system" nice). And um, fun to look at? No, fun to look at is this: ollo I think you are putting too much meaning behind it, like the people in Nintendo's Marketting department did when they came up with this.

What's in a name? Would a rose by any other name smell as sweet? Probably (so long as there aren't any mental issues getting in the way of those perceptions), but that doesn't mean we should start calling them Puu Blossoms.

They could just call it the Nintendo Play.

Revolution's final name....Wii. (pronounced we) - Smoke - 28th April 2006

Wii pisses people off

Revolution's final name....Wii. (pronounced we) - Rocky Raccoon - 28th April 2006

i love how many people hate the name, including those here. it's like wii cut your wii off or something.

Revolution's final name....Wii. (pronounced we) - Rocky Raccoon - 28th April 2006

hahaha

[Image: 20060428.jpg]

Revolution's final name....Wii. (pronounced we) - lazyfatbum - 28th April 2006

hahaha!

oh man this reminds me of the PSX unveiling, everyone hated the name 'play station', no one understood the 'PSX' thing, the 'you are not (red E)' was called rediculous, the japanese were calling it playsta which made it even more gay, it was a huge mess. yet somehow it all worked out

Why cant Wii be friends!!!

Revolution's final name....Wii. (pronounced we) - lazyfatbum - 28th April 2006

DJ/ imagine if somehow, the names of roses were actually changed to Puu blossoms, and everytime you officially need to use the word, you have to use Puu Blossom, you ask for puu blossoms from the florist, you have to tell the guy behind the counter 'I want that puu blossom, the largest Puu blossom". It would shake up everything, the entire world would be talking about 'Puu blossoms', everywhere you look you would see pictures of roses titled Puu blossoms and see angry mobs holding roses. the sales of roses would go up like 9 billion percent, it would start a phenomenon, men, women, old people, kids, everyone would be talking about puu blossoms, nudge nudge :D

Revolution's final name....Wii. (pronounced we) - cppcrusader - 28th April 2006

I think this probably has to be the biggest WTF moment in gaming history. Come E3 we'll get to see what their marketing push is going to be like. Except for the extreme dependence on the iPod like name I don't see non-gamers buying this based on name alone. There will have to be a marketing push, like I told lazy last night, that is the equivalent of the mother fucking hand of God coming out of the TV, handing you $200 and telling to buy a Wii (I die a little inside every time I say or type that name).

Oh, I got one more pun. You think we've got room for one more? I think we do.

The Nintendo Wtf.

I know, lame, well, up youse nose wida rubba hose.

Revolution's final name....Wii. (pronounced we) - Great Rumbler - 28th April 2006

It's like the wiimote all over again!

Revolution's final name....Wii. (pronounced we) - cppcrusader - 28th April 2006

Ok, I lied, there's yet another pun, but its all Nintendo's fault on this one.

http://www.joystiq.com/2006/04/28/koch-to-distribute-wii-all-over-uk/