Tendo City
Nintendo Power: New Revolution info - Printable Version

+- Tendo City (https://www.tendocity.net)
+-- Forum: Tendo City: Metropolitan District (https://www.tendocity.net/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+--- Forum: Tendo City (https://www.tendocity.net/forumdisplay.php?fid=42)
+--- Thread: Nintendo Power: New Revolution info (/showthread.php?tid=3684)

Nintendo Power: New Revolution info - Smoke - 25th April 2006

Click.

Nintendo Power: New Revolution info - A Black Falcon - 25th April 2006

Nintendo Power says: "Wait for E3 for REAL news!"

... but really, mostly confirmed stuff or minor rumors. This has nothing on Lazy's rumors... :)

Nintendo Power: New Revolution info - lazyfatbum - 25th April 2006

Why are they suddenly my rumors?

Too bad though, I was hoping for screenshots of Tony Hawk. Still it's another officially announced launch game as well as Bob Ross (dunno about launch though) and a Spongebob game is, of course, on its way, to every system, every handheld, even thogh I dont think they're making new episodes anymore. I read a review about Spongebob from tomy talarico who said it was running off a Gamecube with the revcon (developer's kit) and while he wasn't impressed with the game's grapphics he did like the way you could pick-axe rocks by swinging the revcon or race by turninng the revcon sideways (NES style) and using it like a steering wheel.

It's funny that NP mentions Icarus, awaiting its triumphent return, and then has a review of the original Hmm... can you say hype? :D

Nintendo Power: New Revolution info - Smoke - 25th April 2006

I hope they're not just setting us up for disappointment with the Icarus stuff.

Nintendo Power: New Revolution info - Rocky Raccoon - 26th April 2006

they should just take god of war and put wings on him. hell he even has a bow in gow 2.

Nintendo Power: New Revolution info - lazyfatbum - 26th April 2006

God of War and God of war 2 is a dumb game for dumb people.

*wins*

I've only read reviews of GOW and I havent played it, but I dont remember rading that he can fly. The biggest aspect of Icarus is the flying. if i'm not mistaken, I think Icarus was made by Miyamoto using the same engine for the original Metroid (made by Yokoi). which makes me ponder the implications of Retro doing the game which would be a Nintendo tee-hee moment. but capcom's dead pheonix is Icarus in 3-D with the exception of giant guns and flaming swords. turn th giant guns in to evil launching vegetables and the flaming sword in to a cute bow that shoots hearts and its Icarus. I'm really curious if it'll be like the original one with its lighthearted graphics and goofey characters or if they'll make it all uber and mature which will possibly piss of the fans of the original but make a more popular franchise in this day and age of stupid people who need to have their maturity stroked whenever they're entertained by something.

"I've only read reviews of GOW and I havent played it, but I dont remember rading that he can fly."

That's why I said "put wings on him"*. ;) And I wasn't serious about that. but a more mature theme might be good for nintendo's image with the rev.

*there are flying bits in GOW2 though

Nintendo Power: New Revolution info - The Former DMiller - 26th April 2006

God of War is an incredible game lazy so don't go dissing it because it's not made by Nintendo. I don't know if it would really fit with Kid Icarus unless Nintendo was really looking to make the game mature. It's really hard to determine what a new Kid Icarus should be since the last time we same it was on the 8-bit NES.

Nintendo Power: New Revolution info - A Black Falcon - 26th April 2006

But it wasn't made by Nintendo, so of course it was bad! :)

But yeah, since it's been so long, they'd have to redo the game... Kid Icarus/Pit hasn't been seen in so long... it'll take as big a re-imagining as Metroid Prime, for sure.

Oh, they could do a 'new game that changes nothing' like the new Rampage game, but that wouldn't do very well, I think...

the reason why i think a god of war-type game would work is because nintendo has nothing like that. they don't have their own devil may cry, their own too human. another platformer might be redundant. another combat-flying game would be redundant. and since kid icarus hasn't been around in ages they could easily make a different kind of game with him. it doesn't have to be gow-violent, but maybe something more akin to dmc. make it a beat-em-up in the dmc style but with the ability to fly and some platforming stuff (like gow).

and to add to that, imagine if nintendo even partnered with capcom to make a new kid icarus, dmc-style. imagine all of the rev control possibilities!

Nintendo Power: New Revolution info - Dark Jaguar - 26th April 2006

Icarus, from what I've read, was not made by Miyamoto using the Metroid engine. It was made by, um, Gunpei Yosemitti (whatever that guy's name is), using the Metroid engine. Half right, but it's not a Miyamoto game from what I've read.

Weren't they going to make a new Icarus with some fully grown bald marble statue super hero with what appears to be the art style of classic rock album covers?

huh, never heard that before. that would be really cool though.

Imagine combining Bernini's David with Winged Victory. I'm already drooling at the thought.

[Image: g625.jpg]
[Image: brquebrnini.jpg]

+

[Image: 250px-Winged_Victory_Side.jpg]

they'd probably want to give him more clothing though.

Nintendo Power: New Revolution info - The Former DMiller - 27th April 2006

Dark Jaguar Wrote:Gunpei Yosemitti (whatever that guy's name is)

Gunpei Yokoi. He's also the guy who invented the Game Boy and the Virtual Boy, the latter causing him to leave the company in disgrace.

Nintendo Power: New Revolution info - lazyfatbum - 27th April 2006

Now see, that's art - you can almost see his penis.

GOW and my dislike for it has nothing to do with it being on PS2. every review I read talks in paragrapgh after paragrapgh of how great the nudity, greek art, murderous violence and story is and when it comes to gamepllay i see 'the combos work most of the time, sometimes they dont catch because of hit detection" or 'later you'll be in platforming elements that dont work very well and get frustrating' and 'the game has 3 bosses including the last boss and the game is about 10 to 15 hours long" but "I cut off a nude chick's head!" becomes the selling point of the game.

i see GOW as a heavily violent cash in with a great story that sucks in casual players but offers a sub-par prince of persia underneath. while the combo system has instant breaks and its dynamic (as well as the mini-game-like button sequences that work 30% of the time) it's the same old hack and slash with supportive magic abilities; you could have called it Golden Axe 3-D.

As far as story goes, it gets all the kudos in the world, well made, and of the highest quality seen in a video game of its type 9and the music is awesome, i have almost all the MP3s) - but it's still got enough cheese to feed Afirca and tons-o-boobage and over the top rediculous violence that makes the well crafted story seem cheap. if it was on gamecube, I would feel the same way.

it's important that to understand my opinion you have to realize that I love mythology; I've studied iit almost my entire life (since I was 9) and GOW turned it in to a cheap excuse for violence and nudity so 13 year olds (physically or mentally) can feel cool playing a video game because 'it's not gay'.

but by all means this is sony we're talking about, they're going to release a sequel for this franchise every 8 months until people stop buying it, so maybe part 2 will win me over and if not, maybe part 3, etc. but definitely not GOW 1; it has the earmarks of fantastic but its heart (gameplay) just is not there, something i'm sure will improve with the sequel. I just hope it's less of a 'mature' title to the point of being recockulous.

Nintendo Power: New Revolution info - A Black Falcon - 27th April 2006

With all the awards and acclaim that God of War got, I somehow doubt that it's a mediocre game...

Lazy, you saying all of this based on reviews. Let us know when you actually play the game. You are just picking out parts of reviews that say something bad about the game and expanding on their nitpicking. The actual game is incredibly fluid, so I don't know who was complaining about combos working 30% of the time, but it's not true.

Nintendo Power: New Revolution info - Dark Jaguar - 27th April 2006

Hey lazy, where's that image some time ago that got us all drooling over Icarus possibilities? I can't find it.

DMiller, yeah I know what his name is and the other things he did. He also left Nintendo in disgrace and died in a car wreck. The Virtual Boy actually KILLS talented people, as though it is some demonic relic created by Silent Hill.

I always thought my Virtual Boy looked a little menacing. I guess it's planning to kill me. BUT NOT IF I KILL IT FIRST. :evil:

Nintendo Power: New Revolution info - Rocky Raccoon - 27th April 2006

lol, and this is without ever having played the game before? i admire your skill, mr.fatbum! i want some more reviews from you about games you've never played! ;)

it's true though, gow does take greek mythology and cheapen it, but it's not the first game to do something like that. kid icarus did it. hey you want to hear something actually offensive? imagine a game taking a real-life incident from world war ii where hundreds of soldiers died, and then parodying it with squirrels in a cartoony fashion! now that's what i call quality cheapening!

but gow is a fun game. i guess some people here hate non-nintendo games? at least you're honest about hating on a game that you've never played though! most forum-goers do the same stuff all of the time but never admit that they've never played the game in question for any significant amount of time. props to you for that, good sir. personally, for me, i try to play a game before passing judgement on it. especially when it's as critically-acclaimed as gow is. i even had to play through superman 64 before i could hate on it. but maybe i'm a rarity in that regard! heh

Nintendo Power: New Revolution info - A Black Falcon - 27th April 2006

Quote: i guess some people here hate non-nintendo games?

At a Nintendo forum, should this be surprising?

Now, most people here aren't nearly as fanboyish as maybe this site was some years back (age-of-members thing, I think... we've had a pretty consistent userbase for years...), but still, it IS a Nintendo site.

... okay, maybe it's not always an age thing. Lazy is older than most of us and is probably the most rabid Nintendo fan here. :) There's nothing wrong with that though... I'm certainly a Nintendo fan. The best argument against fanboyism is 'you can play more great games if you aren't', but if you're spending your time playing games you love, and have plenty of games to play, what's the problem...

Though yes, it is better to recognize that other companies do in fact make good games, even if you don't play them. :)

i don't get console bias. it's like having movie studio bias. "i only watch movies from universal, fuck warner bros.!"

You like Universal? What the hell is wrong with you? If James Bond is good enough for MGM how could you go with any other studio besides them?

damn you to hell you mgmbot!

I should have known you were a Universal whore when I saw your screenname. Didn't one of Universal's parent companies distribute the Beatles' movies?

Nintendo Power: New Revolution info - Dark Jaguar - 27th April 2006

lazy sincerely states that he does in fact play a lot of games on other systems and that he truly enjoyed, um... oh right, Final Fantasy Tactics. It is just that sometimes I wonder if, when he plays these "strange not Nintendo games" he isn't slightly biased in his opinion of them.

By the way, a friend of mine had the pleasure of playing RE4 on PS2. They did in fact add a lot of gameplay features, but he states that the graphics are so clearly superior on the Gamecube he prefers that version. Me? I'm a little upset that they didn't release the gameplay enhanced version on the Cube (or maybe XBox) to keep the graphical level up, but if I should decide to pick that game up, I'll go for the one with more gameplay.

Definitely pick up RE4. I've been the playing the game on and off since late January when I find time, and it's been I've enjoyed every minute of it so far. I just wish I could play it more than a few hours every few weeks. Maybe when school lets out in a few weeks I'll have some time for it.