Tendo City
The Music Genome Project is the greatest thing in the history of everything. - Printable Version

+- Tendo City (https://www.tendocity.net)
+-- Forum: Tendo City: Metropolitan District (https://www.tendocity.net/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+--- Forum: Ramble City (https://www.tendocity.net/forumdisplay.php?fid=44)
+--- Thread: The Music Genome Project is the greatest thing in the history of everything. (/showthread.php?tid=3666)

The Music Genome Project is the greatest thing in the history of everything. - Weltall - 16th April 2006

http://www.pandora.com

Enter any artist or song title, and it searches this obscenely large library to help you find songs and artists similar to ones you already like, helping to expand your musical tastes. It does so in the form of custom stations, which let you listen to the music.

I'm in love with it already. It works well. :love:

The Music Genome Project is the greatest thing in the history of everything. - EdenMaster - 16th April 2006

This is awesome. I could spend all day here. I just might...I've already found a few good 'uns.

The Music Genome Project is the greatest thing in the history of everything. - Great Rumbler - 16th April 2006

iTunes has a similar function, although it still costs money to get the music. This, however, is very free!

The Music Genome Project is the greatest thing in the history of everything. - Fittisize - 16th April 2006

Saw this months ago. nya

The Music Genome Project is the greatest thing in the history of everything. - Weltall - 17th April 2006

And didn't bother sharing it with us.

U dik.

The Music Genome Project is the greatest thing in the history of everything. - A Black Falcon - 17th April 2006

Boring, popular music... :)

The Music Genome Project is the greatest thing in the history of everything. - Great Rumbler - 17th April 2006

A Black Falcon Wrote:Boring, popular music... :)

What...?

The Music Genome Project is the greatest thing in the history of everything. - A Black Falcon - 17th April 2006

Nothing important...

The Music Genome Project is the greatest thing in the history of everything. - Fittisize - 17th April 2006

It's not only popular music. The selection ranges from popular to obscure.

There is plenty of losery shit for you there, trust me.

And btw, this isn't exactly free. There are only a set number of hours that each person gets for free until they have to start paying for it. I think it's either 6 or 10 hours.

The Music Genome Project is the greatest thing in the history of everything. - Great Rumbler - 17th April 2006

Quote:Nothing important...

I think you just don't know what to search for.

The Music Genome Project is the greatest thing in the history of everything. - etoven - 17th April 2006

God Damn! I think tovensolutions need to steal, Borrow, Invent this...

Yea, I need to do that....

Expect this on my site in about an hour or sow... Except with nacked girls, and free money...

The Music Genome Project is the greatest thing in the history of everything. - Weltall - 17th April 2006

Fittisize Wrote:It's not only popular music. The selection ranges from popular to obscure.

There is plenty of losery shit for you there, trust me.

And btw, this isn't exactly free. There are only a set number of hours that each person gets for free until they have to start paying for it. I think it's either 6 or 10 hours.
It shuts off, then asks you if you're done listening. Click no, and you go forth. I've been listening non-stop since I posted this thread. You can listen for free all you want, you pay to remove the ads... and since I just fire it up and minimize the window, I could care less about ads.

Well, it's quite lacking in classical, European techno, and Japanese pop artists, which is what I searched for. :) I don't listen to much of anything in the way of general-release American music... of course, I'm not a music person, so that's not saying a lot (I can't just sit and listen to music, it's not interesting, as I've said before; I'd rather have silence or the TV (news, cartoons, whatever) on in the background; I do not buy music CDs, ever; etc), but it's true. I didn't even bother searching for the kind of music I listen to most often, of course. There's no way they'd have videogame soundtracks...

Looking through my music folder for things that actually have listed artists...

Examples of things I searched for that I didn't find (covering the previously mentioned categories, mostly):
Bizet
Bach
Vivaldi
Megumi Hayashibara
Roots and Leaves
Chance Thomas
Pete Ruskay
Mark Morgan
Brad Venable
Boa
Blümchen
MKL

Ones which I did find something for:
Beethoven (though it's playing jazz music, so I'm not so sure about the accuracy there...)
Ayumi Hamasaki
Yoko Kanno
The Ink Spots
Sasha
Underworld
Harvey Danger (not my thing, not sure why I've got that here...)

See what I mean? I know the problem: I'm not searching for the kind of artists it would list! Well yes, that's the point. As I said, I don't listen to most such music very much. :)

Just because it doesn't have a lot of internation music, doesn't mean that it's all mainsteam American music, you know...

I've searched for Boards of Canada, Safri Duo, Ray Lynch, and Vangelis and have been satisfied with the results.

The Music Genome Project is the greatest thing in the history of everything. - Fittisize - 17th April 2006

Ryan Wrote:It shuts off, then asks you if you're done listening. Click no, and you go forth. I've been listening non-stop since I posted this thread. You can listen for free all you want, you pay to remove the ads... and since I just fire it up and minimize the window, I could care less about ads.

Ah, silly me. Thank you. :)

This makes my life 14% better.