Tendo City
Microsoft buys Lionhead Studios - Printable Version

+- Tendo City (https://www.tendocity.net)
+-- Forum: Tendo City: Metropolitan District (https://www.tendocity.net/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+--- Forum: Tendo City (https://www.tendocity.net/forumdisplay.php?fid=42)
+--- Thread: Microsoft buys Lionhead Studios (/showthread.php?tid=3663)

Microsoft buys Lionhead Studios - Paco - 15th April 2006

it's kind of old news, but I figure this place could use anything...

Quote:Microsoft Game Studios (MGS) today announced it has purchased U.K.-based Lionhead Studios, one of the world's leading and most innovative video game developers and creators of "Fable," the hit Xbox and Windows franchise.

Lionhead Studios will immediately begin creating content exclusively for the Xbox 360 and Microsoft Windows platforms. The companies previously worked together on the popular role-playing games "Fable" for Xbox and "Fable: The Lost Chapters" for Xbox and Windows, which have collectively surpassed the 2 million global unit sales milestone, making "Fable" the best-selling role-playing franchise on the Xbox platform. "Fable" and "Fable: The Lost Chapters" enable players to make decisions that affect their character's skills, appearances and morality and the world around them.

"At Microsoft Game Studios we have worked hard to become the best partner for the best creative talent in our industry, and this acquisition underscores our commitment to excellence," said Shane Kim, general manager of Microsoft Game Studios. "Peter Molyneux is one of the few true visionaries in our industry, and his joining us is incredibly important to the future of both interactive entertainment and MGS. Lionhead is a shining example of the innovative and creative talent that has delivered some of the most influential and unique games experiences to date, and I am honored to welcome Peter and the incredible people at Lionhead Studios."

"We could not be more excited about being part of MGS. They have long supported our creative vision, and this teamwork resulted in the hugely successful 'Fable' franchise," said Molyneux, managing director of Lionhead Studios. "This acquisition gives Lionhead the stability and opportunity to focus on creating world-class next-generation titles. We are joining some of the most incredible game creators in the industry, the combined talent of which will truly take next-generation gaming to a new level."

With today's announcement, Lionhead Studios becomes the latest member of MGS, joining such prestigious and globally recognised game creators as Bungie Studios, Ensemble Studios, FASA Studio and Rare Ltd. on a team whose charter is to create exclusive entertainment experiences that differentiate Xbox 360 and Windows from other gaming platforms.
>>>Link<<<

IMO, Microsoft is creating a respectable stable of first party developers. Lionhead may be a tad over-rated, but their games are better than average, some may even say great.

I wonder if Fable 2, Dmitri, and BC will be at E3 is some form or another?

I wonder who else Microsoft has their eyes on? Slicon Knights? Mistwalker? Probably best to see how well their games sell first.

Microsoft buys Lionhead Studios - Great Rumbler - 15th April 2006

I don't think this really changes things very much. Lionhead's games will continue to come out on the PC and Xbox, just like they have for the past few years.

Microsoft buys Lionhead Studios - A Black Falcon - 15th April 2006

Welcome to last week! :)

Oh, and this was mentioned in some thread or other a couple of days ago. Not with a press release though.

Microsoft buys Lionhead Studios - Paco - 16th April 2006

You're right, doesn't change anything. Except Lionhead has all the funds they could ever need, and all the time they could want for a game given their new publisher.

Yeah, I knew about it last week. I just didn't see it here.

Microsoft buys Lionhead Studios - dex - 16th April 2006

I'll re-post this here just because its so damn funny. :D

Peter Molynuex of Lionhead asked for a Revolution in 2004?
April 10th, 2006
Joystiq.com has reported an interesting quote with a video from the maker of Fable who spoke about controllers at DICE 2004:

“I reckon, and this is a real personal point of view, the greatest innovation in hardware won’t come from the next graphics processor, or the next processor, or the next console, or even the next PC. Someone, somewhere will come up with an input device that enables us to do games that we haven’t even imagined before … somewhere, someone is going to come up with a second-generation controller because, I would argue, the controllers we have now were designed to actually move around 2D worlds, and they’ve been hybrided for 3D worlds, and they’re still not good enough, and the number of times you have to go through and re-jig your game because of the controllers.”

Although Lionhead was recently purchased by Microsoft, its interesting to note that a developer was asking for a Revolution in the way you play the game.

snap!

Microsoft buys Lionhead Studios - A Black Falcon - 16th April 2006

Right, it was mentioned in this thread, 5 days ago.

http://www.tcforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=3772

My reply to that post was

Quote:Molyneux's style + Revolution would definitely be perfect... eh, oh well, his games haven't been that great since he left Bullfrog anyway. Now Dungeon Keeper, Syndicate, Populous yes, (though Populous has aged a bit) but Black & White, The Movies, and Fable? Good, but I think that the general perception that he isn't the same as he once was is mostly accurate...

Even so, given his originality and how he's shown a liking to stuff like gestures for commands (how you cast spells in Black & White, etc), it's too bad that he decided to get bought up by Microsoft. Let's just hope that Lionhead+MS goes better than Bullfrog+EA did...

Quote:You're right, doesn't change anything. Except Lionhead has all the funds they could ever need, and all the time they could want for a game given their new publisher.

It means we won't ever see Molyneux on Revolution.

Microsoft buys Lionhead Studios - dex - 16th April 2006

Well, never might be a little too concrete, i'm more willing to go with 'for a while." :D

Peter: Oh fuck, look at the revcon! it's exactly what I wanted! swish!

MS: *huge check*

Peter: Oh fuck, look at this check! it's exactly what I wanted! KA-CHING!

Microsoft buys Lionhead Studios - Paco - 16th April 2006

dex Wrote:Well, never might be a little too concrete, i'm more willing to go with 'for a while." :D

Peter: Oh fuck, look at the revcon! it's exactly what I wanted! swish!

MS: *huge check*

Peter: Oh fuck, look at this check! it's exactly what I wanted! KA-CHING!

lol

I think it's only a matter of time before Microsoft and Sony make a revcon of their own. Microsoft already has a eyetoy inspired camera coming this year.