Tendo City
Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion - Printable Version

+- Tendo City (https://www.tendocity.net)
+-- Forum: Tendo City: Metropolitan District (https://www.tendocity.net/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+--- Forum: Tendo City (https://www.tendocity.net/forumdisplay.php?fid=42)
+--- Thread: Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion (/showthread.php?tid=3618)

Pages: 1 2

Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion - Great Rumbler - 22nd March 2006

This is THE game to own for the Xbox360, bar none.

As someone who really enjoyed Morrowind, Oblivion is everything I could have hoped for and more. Every single element has been upgraded and improved upon. The graphics are stunning and the draw distance is now almost unlimited. Things at extreme distances don't look all that great though, but at least you can see beyond 100 feet unlike in Morrowind. The music is better too. In Morrowind it was kind of loud and repetitive, but in Oblivion it's a lot more understated as well as being of very high quality. Almost all dialogue now is voiced, although it's still repetitive at times. The combat system is a bit faster and has some more variety in it than in Morrowind.

Oblivion is great. Really great. If you don't have it then you need to go out and get it right now.

Anyway, I have to get back to playing it!!

Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion - Paco - 23rd March 2006

I've read that the framerate drops drastically in outdoor environments? True?

Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion - A Black Falcon - 23rd March 2006

The X360 version is definitely the worse one, impressions definitely agree on that fact (just like Morrowind).

Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion - Great Rumbler - 23rd March 2006

Everything I've read said that the Xbox360 version is better in terms of draw-distance, load times and pop-ups. And it's never dropped noticably for me in outdoor envoriments, aside from once or twice when I was looking from up in the hills down at a town.

But the game's really designed for a keyboard and mouse, not a gamepad, and you lose the game's moddability, which is a HUGE part of the game... Morrowind has a big modding community, and Xbox can't do any of that, you just get the static product...

Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion - Dark Jaguar - 23rd March 2006

No, you can download sanctioned official updates! :D

But yeah, the PC version has the ability to be better, if you have a decent gaming PC.

I do, again! I once again have a PC that inspires... envy? Not really, it was an attempt at playing catchup with all my friends. At this point, the only thing I really think would make a noticable imrovement would be two 7000 series Geforce cards in SLI mode.

Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion - Great Rumbler - 23rd March 2006

Considering that an Xbox360 costs less than a third of what a PC with enough horsepower to run Oblivion properly would cost, I'd rather have the "static" product.

Quote:But the game's really designed for a keyboard and mouse, not a gamepad

This isn't a game where you need fast reflexes and a thirty buttons, it works very well on the Xbox360's controller.

By the way, I went on a stroll through the northwestern edge of Cyrodiil today. Just kind of meandered my way through the countryside and up into the hills. It's really amazing how much of an improvement this game is over the last. I found myself just gazing down at the countryside, like I would in the real world if I was on a hiking trip. And the music is just perfect for that kind of thing. It's beautiful really.

Oh, so you DON'T have a gaming rig? I see. I myself already do, so it's not like I'm investing anything.

Oh by the way, less than a 3rd? You need to start building your own computers. I got my full upgrade for around $900, and I was willing to spend a little more rather than wait for delivery time, and with the lovely state sales tax! A (complete) 360 plus Oblivion comes to a bit more than half of that!

At this point I basically would have to replace everything except for my harddrives if I "upgraded" my computer, so getting a new one makes more sense... and that'll be $1500 minimum, and that's with cuts... but I'm so tired of getting OSes at the end of their lives, don't like the idea of upgrading... but waiting until next year for a new PC doesn't sound fun either... I'm not sure what I'll do. (I could get one this summer likely if I wanted to)

Why would you need to upgrade your OS? Just use it on the new hardware. I've helped people go through that whole process. A call to MS takes care of XP Home issues well enough.

Like I said, I upgraded EVERYTHING in my PC, right down to the powersupply. Standards are changing fairly rapidly at this point, so my RAM, my video card, nothing worked in my new machine. I kept the keyboard and mouse and the frickin' case (oh, and the moniter, that thing still has several years left on it). Again, it all depends on where you shop. I can help you build one that'll play today's games with full features and shave off at least $500 off that estimate of yours easy. It'll basically just be a clone of what I just went to, and I DID upgrade my hard drive.

Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion - Great Rumbler - 24th March 2006

Oblivion is such an awesome game. I got it on Wednesday and I've put over 15 hours into it.

Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion - A Black Falcon - 24th March 2006

The big problem is getting a decent video card... that's several hundred easy...

Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion - Dark Jaguar - 24th March 2006

Depends on what you want. I got a satisfactory GeForce 6800 with 256 MB of video RAM for about $200. I can run my games in the highest resolution my moniter can support with an average frame rate of around 30-40 FPS. If I take the resolution down a few notches, I can get a steady frame rate of 60, and if I wanted to spend more, I could get a second one and likely get a steady frame rate higher than that.

So, yes the video card can be pretty expensive, but if you know where the bottle necks are and what you need to do to overcome those, you really won't need the latest and greatest of everything to get an awesome computer.

(And by the way, that's without any sort of overclocking. When I start messing around with that, it's hard to say what I can get away with. Thing is, while I have some nice cooling options, the real issue is going to be the 2 pillows I stuffed behind my computer. I note confusion. Well, you see the power supply I got had a feature I wasn't aware of at purchase. Bright lights in all the colors of the rainbow spray photons out the back of my computer at the wall, keeping me up at night. I had to stuff pillows in strategic locations just to "wall off" the light while still allowing air flow. If I wasn't worried about damaging a vital component, I'd open the thing up and unhook all the lights in the thing. I suppose they were added to make the computer "shiny", but it's just annoying if you have your computer in your room and have to have total darkness to fall asleep (I'm talking the hall light coming in under the door being too much.))

By the way GR, it seems the Penny Arcade crew agree with our assessment of the PC version being better than the XBox version. I will say this. Even with my new "rig", my video card may be the one thing holding me back from maximum awesome in that game. Oh well, the motherboard is top of the line so I'll be able to use future video cards at their full potential for some time.

You used to be able to get a quite solid video card for $100-$125 (~1998), or $150 or so (2001), but now... $250, minimum, for one you won't regret spending your money on a few years later? I mean, my computer has a GeForce2 GTS (32MB), not new when I got this thing 4 1/2 years ago... it wasn't a $200 card, not even close I think ($150 at most?) and it's served pretty well for a long time... could I say that about any card in that price range these days?

Yeah, I thought not. Just like how I'll never get a card as good as the 8MB Voodoo2 for $120 or so with three full version games included (not brand new, but not ancient either...) I got in November 1998... a card on that level now (compared to the best cards of the day) would be at least twice that price. Maybe a lot more than twice.

I mean... you can get a perfectly okay computer for very cheap if you don't want to play games on it. But once you say "I want to play games", the price goes way up... and the single biggest required jump is the video card. You can sacrifice a bit of RAM or 100mhz or something, but a decent videocard is absolutely critical...

As I said, I AM playing games on my machine in high quality, and I can help you do that for a decent price.

As far as video cards, yeah the price of those has jumped more than anything else. I was hoping for a bit of a dive, like the Great RAM Price Drop of ages gone by, back when RAM got so cheap they were giving it away in cereal, but that hasn't borne out. Still, as I said, I can get you a good price on a complete computer upgrade in spite of that.

Here's the one thing you should keep in mind. eBay exists. I'm selling my old computer (as soon as I buy another shell for it) on that little marketplace. I'm sure I can get a good price for the thing. It's great except for the 15 gig hard drive I'm sticking on there (also, I'll be scrounging up some old CD drive around here to stick in the thing). That will likely make up for the chunk of change I expended on my upgrade. I may even be able to make a profit. I intend on sticking a version of Linux on the drive so it can be a "complete out of the box system" without breaking any copyright laws.

I don't remember naming this the "Talk about computers" thread...

You're right, you didn't, even though that is clearly what we are talking about! You should fix that!

Quote:Why would you need to upgrade your OS? Just use it on the new hardware. I've helped people go through that whole process. A call to MS takes care of XP Home issues well enough.

DJ, remember that I have ME. I'm not exactly enamored of getting XP six to nine months before Vista comes out... if I'm going to have to go to a new, vastly different OS, I'd rather it not be one that'll be obsolete in MS's opinion a few months later... AGAIN... (win3.1 in early 1995, win95 in summer 1997, win98 in late 1999/early 2000, winme in september 2001, within a few months of XP's release...)

Quote:As far as video cards, yeah the price of those has jumped more than anything else. I was hoping for a bit of a dive, like the Great RAM Price Drop of ages gone by, back when RAM got so cheap they were giving it away in cereal, but that hasn't borne out. Still, as I said, I can get you a good price on a complete computer upgrade in spite of that.

How so?

Quote:Here's the one thing you should keep in mind. eBay exists.

I've never bought anything online... not myself at least (this computer was ordered online, but I didn't pay for it myself...)

And anyway, this thing's too old to be worth much of anything. The 110GBs of HDD are nice (full, I need more, but nice) (40+80), but I want to keep those... but a P4 1.5ghz with a 32MB Geforce2, 384MB PC800 RDRAM, a DVD drive, SBLive! Value...

Quote:Depends on what you want. I got a satisfactory GeForce 6800 with 256 MB of video RAM for about $200. I can run my games in the highest resolution my moniter can support with an average frame rate of around 30-40 FPS. If I take the resolution down a few notches, I can get a steady frame rate of 60, and if I wanted to spend more, I could get a second one and likely get a steady frame rate higher than that.

I want something I'll be able to use for a few years, like this computer...

The best improvement I've seen so far in Oblivion is the absence of cliff races. Those things were beyond suck.

Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion - Dark Jaguar - 25th March 2006

I now have Oblivion, and can run it with all features at max (save resolution) easily on the rig I have now.

Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion - Great Rumbler - 25th March 2006

In IGN's comparison of the two versions, their general consesus is that both are almost identical except for the PC having slightly higher resolution.

Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion - Dark Jaguar - 25th March 2006

"Slightly" eh? Too bad IGN is idiots. They totally forgot the modability. In fact opening the game gives you a convenient menu for selecting the official included content OR whatever content users have made. It's also nice that I can go ahead and map one of my PC controllers for this game.

But anyway, here's the thing. If THE game to have for the 360 isn't even exclusive, it's pretty sad.

Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion - A Black Falcon - 25th March 2006

What's the res that the console version runs at? normal TV resolution is 640x480 at most... HDTV larger, but I doubt it's 1200p or whatever would be the TV-language version of "1600x1200"... yeah, more than "slightly", if you've got a good enough PC.

But absolutely, the biggest thing is moddability. If you enjoy the game, it adds so much... really, it's a great feature, and games that are moddable are much better off for it. With the popularity of the TES games now, mods have been really common... Morrowind has LOTS of mods. I installed a bunch of them, and it helps a lot... for instance, there was one that gave the game player models that didn't look like horribly malformed ugly blobs! They look like people! (and there's also an optional one with nudity when you take your clothes off... (have I mentioned before that in Daggerfall, when you take your clothes off you're naked? Oh, the genitals aren't drawn in detail, but you're naked... but Daggerfall was M-rated. They removed stuff like that for T-rated Morrowind and consoles. But moddability adds stuff...) Unfortunately most of the clothes are still the original clothes, which look uniformly horrible, but oh well... something is better than nothing... Mods also give you new dungeons, clothing, stores, textures, etc, etc...

Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion - Great Rumbler - 26th March 2006

Well, I've put a bit over 30 hours into Oblivion so far. I started a new game after about 20 hours so I could indulge in the awesomeness that is hand-to-hand combat. It's infinitely satisfying to take someone down who has a sword and armor with just your bare hands and in fact punching people is relatively powerful and very fast, I recommend looking into it. Oblivion is awesome, whether you play it on the PC or the Xbox360.

Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion - Dark Jaguar - 26th March 2006

Agreed. I never played Morrowind, but from what I can tell that problem of wandering endless boring miles with nothing to do is pretty much absent. First of all, the landscape was ripped directly out of Lord of the Rings. Certainly the graphics help there, but I just spent an hour staring at the beauty of the world once I broke out of that dungeon. Plus, there are things everywhere, and so far none of the little side things I can do everywhere has become monotenous.

Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion - A Black Falcon - 27th March 2006

TES shows how you make a big world: It's the same way Grand Theft Auto does it. You do it by carefully limiting what the player can do to a few simple things... so in GTA you can go all over the place, but only "interact" by killing people or beating them up and stealing their vehicles. TES is more complex than that, but still, character interaction is at a minimum -- it's mostly all the same canned lines that tell you how to get places or where quests are -- and the world is mostly about looking or killing things. I don't think stores actually keep hours (close at night, etc), right? The people in the towns don't actually act like they live there... you cannot really converse with them beyond "where is a job" or "where is the smithy" (the latter being a massive menu tree of places to be pointed towards that dominates the conversation tree)... the 'story' is similarly simple, and would fit a much more linear game just fine. The open-endedness? It's just the illusion of choice... as I've said before, you can do anywhere, and kill anyone, but what is there to actually DO? Hack the wildlife... don't expect good quests, Bethesda has never exactly been great at story or great quests (oh, they're far from awful, and produce a huge VOLUME (with a massive backstory worthy of a D&D-inspired fantasy world), but quality? Much more average.)... but darnit, you can go to dozens of towns (or hundreds, in the first two games) and hundreds of dungeons of various sizes (a few big ones, and many small ones), and kill stuff until you fall asleep from boredom! It must be a good game, right?

... okay, there is something to that design. It is fun to run around for a while getting items, exploring the world, and fighting the monsters... but it just feels like something is missing... interaction, the feeling that this world actually has a reason for my being there (a STORY, told decently, with CHARACTERS)... I know that there are great RPGs with minimal stories, but they are usually focused titles in which you spend your time adventuring through a dungeon fighting a sequence of encounters and doing puzzles... TES instead tries to be an entire D&D world in a box (I'm pretty sure Tamriel started as a D&D campaign they made up years back.), and as a result they stretch themselves beyond the breaking point trying to provide volume of content, while necessarially sacrificing true choice and quality...

Still, they provide an interesting style of game, and one that no one else really makes, so they have value, but every time I play one I notice all the ways in which providing scale forced compromises, often serious ones, and it makes me like the games less... but still, I have to admit to being drawn in by Arena for a while, despite its extreme repetitiveness, so... (though I did then quit before getting too far)

(Oh yes, and is it really necessary to have such stupid combat in these games? This is a PC RPG, darnit! Give it PC RPG combat! And by that I don't mean Diablo...)

Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion - Dark Jaguar - 27th March 2006

WROONG!

There are about 1000 people, and just like in Majora's Mask, they all have their own schedules to keep! Wait till night, break into the weapons shop, rob the place blind, then the next day, sell it all back. Everyone seems to have their own story going on. I've stalked the same person for a whole in-game day and seen that person ride on horse back, pick some mushrooms, get in a conversation with a few people (and I picked up on some rumors), and finally, sell those mushrooms to some tradesman. Talking to the tradesman, he mentions he just got in some mushrooms from out of town.

It is IN DEPTH! A lot of them have quests, but it's not just "kill this". A lot of them really seem to have interesting things to do.

Quote:There are about 1000 people, and just like in Majora's Mask, they all have their own schedules to keep! Wait till night, break into the weapons shop, rob the place blind, then the next day, sell it all back. Everyone seems to have their own story going on. I've stalked the same person for a whole in-game day and seen that person ride on horse back, pick some mushrooms, get in a conversation with a few people (and I picked up on some rumors), and finally, sell those mushrooms to some tradesman. Talking to the tradesman, he mentions he just got in some mushrooms from out of town.

That's an improvement at least, TES previously didn't have shops closing at night and stuff like that...

As for the conversation, interesting... so they're making more of an effort this time? You've always been able to hear a few things from people, but with the scale of the games (particularly the first two), things start to repeat early and often and you end up hearing the same or similar things over and over and over and over...

As for gameplay though, that doesn't affect my basic point: the feeling of "openness" is achieved by carefully limiting the player's options. A linear game feels "more constricting", but on each step of the way more unique, original, and varied challenges and gameplay can be shown because of the focus... TES just doesn't work that way. When you spend so much time on making a world, some things have to suffer...

And anyway, 'the people don't keep schedules' wasn't one of my major points... you get used to that kind of thing in videogames, it's not a big issue (in Morrowind). The thing about the conversation where people mention the others is interesting, though, and hints at at least SOME degree of improvement on that front, though I very highly doubt that it has true variety now...

Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion - Great Rumbler - 27th March 2006

Quote:First of all, the landscape was ripped directly out of Lord of the Rings.

That's one of the things that really stands out as an improvement. In Morrowind, everything was a shade of brown and there was an intense amount of fog everywhere all the time. That's all changed though: Oblivion uses much more natural colors, the towns are excellently crafted, and you can see a long ways.

Quote:though I very highly doubt that it has true variety now...

Why would you want to go around in a game such as this and get into long complex dialogues with people? And what would you talk about anyway aside from a few main issues regarding the world in general? Regardless of that, do you go around getting in conversations with random people in real life anway? Yeah, the NPCs aren't all that much different from each other but they do carry out their own lives in Oblivion: walking around town, going to sleep at night, and carrying out their daily routine. It might be nice if you had a long list of things to talk to random people about sometimes, but honestly, I wouldn't want to spend hours on end talking to NPCs regardless of how real the conversations were.

Oblivion is all about action and exploration, which is does very well.

Quote:(Oh yes, and is it really necessary to have such stupid combat in these games? This is a PC RPG, darnit! Give it PC RPG combat! And by that I don't mean Diablo...)

The combat style is fine the way it is. It works and it doesn't copy other games. If I want an RPG that plays like KOTOR, then I'll play that.

Quote:... don't expect good quests

How about a quest where you have to spy on someone to find out how mountain lions are getting into a woman's basement? Or convincing vampire hunters to leave town? Or following a person around town to see who they meet up with and what they do? Or travelling to a distant cave to get your mage's staff? Or criss-crossing the country to find the cure for your vamprism? Or traveling into another person's dream to bring them back to the real world? Or finding out what happened to a woman's worthless husband? Or helping the residents of a town oppressed by city guards?

Or, and I'm actually following the main storyline of the game (which is pretty well done), wandering through the Gates of Oblivion to find a way to seal it, and trying to save some poor soul and accidently dropping them into some sort of flesh reaper (straight out of some cheesy horror movie). It's really amazing going "all up ons" some town.

However, GR, I will give him this. While the conversations are certainly deeper than ABF thought they would be, there is always room for improvement. To be honest, I do love getting into long conversations with lots of branching. All that could do is add to an already ridiculously long game (and though I may never finish it, certainly never "master" it, it is great to have such massive amounts of content).

ABF, the fighting system isn't really an RPG, that's true. It's actually more like Zelda, only the controls could use some work. I haven't mapped my PC controller out yet though. If they could add some rolling around and locking onto targets, I really couldn't find a complaint about it, and they COULD too, thanks to it being a PC game and the 360 having, well, a hard drive. This game can be upgraded in the future. I've already found a few glitches, so a patch will be on it's way soon enough.

Edit: I have to add that the look of the game is incredible. Actual tall grass EVERYWHERE. It's that 2D "standing up grass" effect used in games like Star Fox Adventures and so on, where the grass is standing up, but it's perfectly flat, but there is so much of it that unless you are really looking up close, you'll never notice, and with all the options cranked up to max, that grass is waving in the wind all the way out to that distant hill in the distance I'm heading towards.

Also, Emporer Patrick Stewert the 9th dies like 5 minutes into the game.

Quote:Or, and I'm actually following the main storyline of the game (which is pretty well done), wandering through the Gates of Oblivion to find a way to seal it, and trying to save some poor soul and accidently dropping them into some sort of flesh reaper (straight out of some cheesy horror movie). It's really amazing going "all up ons" some town.

I still haven't closed the first gate. I've just been running around doing random stuff.

I need a horse, and to get some armor for said horse, and also your version of oblivion cost $10 more than mine!

Quote:I need a horse, and to get some armor for said horse, and also your version of oblivion cost $10 more than mine!

But it has fewer features, of course it's more expensive!

... though '$400 vs. $1500+" is, as usual, a good argument in the other direction.

Quote:However, GR, I will give him this. While the conversations are certainly deeper than ABF thought they would be, there is always room for improvement. To be honest, I do love getting into long conversations with lots of branching. All that could do is add to an already ridiculously long game (and though I may never finish it, certainly never "master" it, it is great to have such massive amounts of content).

Exactly as I said... "make games more open-ended", people say... but do they really consider the impact that has on the games themselves? Branching, multiple ways to solve puzzles... yes. Those things are always great. But TES-like openness... a bit overrated in importance.

Quote:ABF, the fighting system isn't really an RPG, that's true. It's actually more like Zelda, only the controls could use some work. I haven't mapped my PC controller out yet though.

Hack! Slash! Hack! Slash!

Quote:Edit: I have to add that the look of the game is incredible. Actual tall grass EVERYWHERE. It's that 2D "standing up grass" effect used in games like Star Fox Adventures and so on, where the grass is standing up, but it's perfectly flat, but there is so much of it that unless you are really looking up close, you'll never notice, and with all the options cranked up to max, that grass is waving in the wind all the way out to that distant hill in the distance I'm heading towards.

There were a couple of games some years back which had a different kind of grass... I think some of Novalogic's games did, when they were in their (fairly long) voxels phase... but because voxels aren't 3d-acceleratable by any 3d card (since they don't use polygons), those games didn't actually look very good... but they can individually render each blade of grass so at least you don't get "wow why is that whole row of grass in a perfectly straight line" effect... :)

Fortunatly, they fix that by having all that grass alligned in a million angles. The real issue is the trees. They look great, but as you turn, the leaf images stay perfectly still relative to the camera, meaning they appear to spin relative to the tree. I believe a patch could fix that issue.

Also, the battling isn't really as dull as you think. I bounce all over the place like some sort of hyperactive frog while tossing magic spells all over and using both blocking and my weaponry. It's a pretty active battle system. If this was a game like KOTOR, it wouldn't matter where I moved. I couldn't dodge a fireball, it would curve to hit me or it wouldn't, based on a dice roll.

Quote:Hack! Slash! Hack! Slash!

You hack and slash with fists? That aside, Oblivion's battle system has been improved somewhat. You can perform several different attacks depending on which direction you're pointing the analog stick and these attacks can do different things depening on how high your skills level is: disarm opponents or paralyze them. Also, blocking can knock back your opponents, allowing you to jump in and get a few hits.

Quote:But TES-like openness... a bit overrated in importance.

Not really.

Indeed, and if you hold down the attack button, you do a slow but especially powerful attack that does more damage and knocks back some enemies. It's closer to Zelda than a traditional RPG in a lot of ways.

ABF is right to be skeptical after playing Morrowind, but I would highly suggest he play the game himself before making a judgement call.

Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion - lazyfatbum - 27th March 2006

Sounds like they did the smart thing and listened to the people who hate Morrowwind as opposed to rehashing Morrowwind for its fans.

something alot of developers should do.

Yeah, it seems like they did do that. If I want Morrowind, I'll get the PC version and download some huge unofficial expansion for it. However, from what I've read it's just not that fun a game, or at least not my cup of tea. This game though, it's very fun.

Quote:You hack and slash with fists? That aside, Oblivion's battle system has been improved somewhat. You can perform several different attacks depending on which direction you're pointing the analog stick and these attacks can do different things depening on how high your skills level is: disarm opponents or paralyze them. Also, blocking can knock back your opponents, allowing you to jump in and get a few hits.

In Arena and Daggerfall, you swung your sword by clicking the left mouse button and dragging the mouse across the screen -- the sword's direction of hit would come in approximately that direction. Now, I'm not sure if the different types of hits did different amounts of damage, I didn't really look into that in depth (and there wasn't stuff like disarming them), but still, it had it...

Spells, though, were cast through a menu opened with a button on the screen.

Quote:Not really.

I've been saying that so-called "open-ended" games are overrated in importance for a long time now, and my opinion hasn't changed...

Quote:I've been saying that so-called "open-ended" games are overrated in importance for a long time now, and my opinion hasn't changed...

And I've been saying for a long time now that open-ended games are a lot of fun and my opinion hasn't changed.

Quote:In Arena and Daggerfall, you swung your sword by clicking the left mouse button and dragging the mouse across the screen -- the sword's direction of hit would come in approximately that direction. Now, I'm not sure if the different types of hits did different amounts of damage, I didn't really look into that in depth (and there wasn't stuff like disarming them), but still, it had it...

Is that really that much different from what's in Morrowind/Oblivion?

Quote:Is that really that much different from what's in Morrowind/Oblivion?

Uh... yes... in Morrowind you push a button and the sword swings. You don't control its path on the screen -- it just swings when you click. That's a real change... makes it easier to swing more, makes the game simpler, removes an element of uniqueness... Oblivion sounds like they make it more interesting again, thankfully.

I know one goal in Oblivion was to remove the 'randomness factor' that is integral to RPG combat -- that is, you miss attacks not based on your dexterity but based on random chance -- and have more aiming and stuff, and more visual depictions of when you miss, etc... ie, make it even MORE actiony in the combat... maybe it makes it more fun (something even Morrowind fans must admit was weak in that game), but it's just not the right direction for an RPG... but if they must do that, I guess making it more interesting is good... lukewarm praise as that is...

Quote:You don't control its path on the screen

So, In Oblivion when you're moving sideways and you hold down the attack button it doesn't perform a sideways power attack with a chance of knocking away the enemy's weapon?

Uhh... did you read what I said at all? Try again...

He was talking about Morrowind.

In Oblivion, that does happen, and it sure makes things interesting. The RPG is almost gone, but that's okay. I have enough RPGs right now and if I want that sort of gameplay, I'll play one of those. I like strafing around my enemy, jumping overhead while firing a lightning bolt, striking the poor thing in the back, running back, and dodging that fireball the thing was prepairing myself. It's great fun. It is fun to find a dear, aim high to make up for gravity's effects, and make a shot from a long distance, getting a nice kill. Then, running up to it, and if a wolf isn't feeding off it (I love this game), I'll strip off some dear meat and have a nice meal of it.

Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion - Dark Jaguar - 28th March 2006

By the way, about adding more Zelda stuff like rolling around to dodge attacks? Forget what I said, because that's already in the game. All one needs to do is level up their acrobatics. In fact, every single skill level up nets some immediatly noticable result, namely some extra ability I can use right then. You do need to sleep to level up, but there are a large number of little sleeping bags strewn about the kingdom if you need a quick crash. Also, you can basically skip walking through the countryside with city warping. Basically, you can warp to major towns from the moment you step out of that first dungeon. The timer actually automatically causes whatever amount of time it would have taken to walk the distance to occur, so it's basically like a scene switch to several hours later.

Oh GR, I want to know what the button layout is. Could you tell me what every single button on the 360 controller does in this game? I want as accurate a mapping job on this controller as possible.

Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion - Great Rumbler - 28th March 2006

Quote:He was talking about Morrowind.

Why are we talking about Morrowind?

Quote:Oh GR, I want to know what the button layout is. Could you tell me what every single button on the 360 controller does in this game? I want as accurate a mapping job on this controller as possible.

A is the main action button: talk, select, pick up, open doors. B bring up the menu. Y is jump. X unsheathes/sheathes your weapon. Right trigger attacks. Right bumper uses magic. The left trigger and left bumper don't really do much, except the trigger is used to go to different menus.

Great Rumbler Wrote:Why are we talking about Morrowind?

I meant that if you read what he said, he specifically mentioend Morrowind having that flaw, not Oblivion, and you'll have to ask him why he brought it up.

Quote:A is the main action button: talk, select, pick up, open doors. B bring up the menu. Y is jump. X unsheathes/sheathes your weapon. Right trigger attacks. Right bumper uses magic. The left trigger and left bumper don't really do much, except the trigger is used to go to different menus.

Thanks, that helps. However, there's a bit more I'd like to know. Basically, what do start and select do, and the left and right stick when used as a button? Also, what do the two L buttons actually do, even if it's not "much"? If it's not too much to ask, could you basically quote directly from the diagram of button assignments in the instruction manuel?

Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion - Great Rumbler - 28th March 2006

Back is wait, start is pause, left trigger is block, left bumber is grab [I have no idea what this is], left analog is move and when you press it down it activates sneak, right analog is look/turn, and the d-pad is for hot keys.

Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion - lazyfatbum - 28th March 2006

has anyone encountered bugs/glitches/nasty frame rates? They were all over the place in Morrowwind, sometimes it looked like people were playing a version of the game as if it was being recorded through an old webcam, like PD with 4 players, 8 sims all in the same room with explosives...ish.

Neat. Does clicking the right stick do anything?

lazy, on PC things like that can be eliminated by summoning the essance of Tim Tailor (more power). I can't speak of the 360 version, but from what GR has said, there are only a few hiccups when the game is loading some new textures.

As far as glitches, I've encountered a few. You can break into someone's house and talk to them and they don't seem to care that you broke in. At the same time, a local police officer will immediatly start looking for you if they notice that the lock on a door has been tampered with.

Also, there are no bathrooms. However, I consider that a mercy of sorts. Still, I am reminded of Star Trek. (I'm sure some nerd will comment about how in the future, everyone has a transporter or a wormhole in their arse eliminating the need to expel waste matter.)

The most crippling thing I've seen so far is that, for some reason, in a couple conversations I've had, my entire computer locked up. I mean, hard locked, no hope of redemption save the reset button. I'm not sure what's going on. I'll have to check my temp. I may end up turning my computer into a fish tank with a pool pump attached to it (filled with mineral oil). :D