Tendo City
Zelda commercial - Printable Version

+- Tendo City (https://www.tendocity.net)
+-- Forum: Tendo City: Metropolitan District (https://www.tendocity.net/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+--- Forum: Tendo City (https://www.tendocity.net/forumdisplay.php?fid=42)
+--- Thread: Zelda commercial (/showthread.php?tid=358)

Zelda commercial - OB1 - 27th February 2003

I just saw it a few minutes ago on NBC, and it's a month away. That's a good sign, shows that Nintendo is trying to hype it up before its release (like Take 2 did with Vice City), although there is no mention of the pre-order deal. It's the same commercial with the little British girl.

Zelda commercial - EdenMaster - 28th February 2003

I've seen it a few times over the last couple days. I can't wait.

Zelda commercial - Darunia - 28th February 2003

Yea I saw that commercial...very cool, very nice. I can't help but state how staunchly the mysterious, eerie commercial clashes with the tropical, colorful, up-beat game though.

Zelda commercial - Dark Jaguar - 28th February 2003

I'm pretty sure the game itself will still have the same mysterious epic feel to it. The look representing a lack of story depth is just an American thing afte rall.

Anyway, I've been seeing that commercial for a while now. The first few times I saw it, they DID mention the pre-order deal. However, remember OB1, they recently cancelled that deal (stupid, they said they cancelled why, because it was the most succesful pre-order deal yet, what?), so obviously they would have to remove that part from the commercials.

WHY ARE ALL EPIC ADVENTURE THINGS IRISH NOW?!

Zelda commercial - OB1 - 28th February 2003

Because I'm Irish. :D

Are you sure they cancelled that pre-order deal? I thought that was just a rumor like the one last year of Sega cancelling PSO.

Zelda commercial - Dark Jaguar - 28th February 2003

Nope, it was actually talked about here, revealed by LL.

The rumor is regarding WHY they did it, but call around and you will see the truth of it. They wouldn't have cut out that part of the commercial for no reason anyway.

Oh and you aren't epic or fantasy adventure in the slightest!

That's really stupid on Nintendo's part. Jeez.

And like hell I'm not epic! Just take a look at THIS!!

Zelda commercial - big guy - 28th February 2003

Sean Connery is Scottish...

I'm also not Sean Connery.

Zelda commercial - MgL - 1st March 2003

I've seen it a few times. There are two versions. There is one where the pre-order deal isn't mentioned, and there is one where it is mentioned at the end. I hope this isn't the final commercial. I want one like the OoT commercial with the Conan theme playing throughout it. That would fuckin own...

http://www.vortex.kzoo6.com/zeldavortex/oot.movie1.php

Zelda commercial - Dark Jaguar - 1st March 2003

The music was my least favorite part of the OOT commercial. I may have joked about it, but I actually think Celtic theme is perfect for fantasy, ALL fantasy, including Star Trek!

Zelda commercial - OB1 - 1st March 2003

Star Trek isn't fantasy. Star Wars is.

Oh sure it is. Real people don't and are incapable of acting like the people on Star Trek, and there are ELVES!

Trek is pure science fiction. Star Wars is a fantasy/samurai epic set in a sci-fi setting.

Right....

*notes that a lot of Trek stuff just isn't exactly factual, like Q, or the ridiculous misconceptions about programming and such always spouted on the show, oh and the unrealistic human nature of characters on the show*

Erm Um... science-fiction isn't realistic. That's why it's called science-fiction.

Ah, okay. Bewitched is science fiction!

:stupid:

Zelda commercial - A Black Falcon - 1st March 2003

I agree with OB1 on this one...

Thank you.

DJ needs to learn some facts about this stuff before he comments on it, it seems. Star Trek fantasy???

Punk.

Although I bet he was just saying that to get a reaction out of us. He's troll-like that way.

Yeah, but really though, why isn't magic considered sci fi? It's a completely fictional way the universe works, and if Q and the force is considered sci fi all other types of magic should be sci fi too.

As for fantasy, anything that is a fantastical adventure is a fantasy if you ask me. If people fantasize about going on that adventure, or if it's not a real world but one imagined, why isn't fantasy a good word? I think it all goes back to nerd semantics. Only a bunch of the geeks would be coming together to say a fantasy isn't a fantasy unless there is magic or something assanine like that.

Maybe... but he does seem clueless. I mean, not knowing about Han shooting first? Huh?

My WORD! How on Earth is that a well known fact? I am a casual movie goer, and NO casual movie goer knows about that. Why would we have watched it over and over again looking for differences, and more importantly why on Earth would we be talking about such things with anyone among our own kind. You sir are currently embodying the nerd stereotype. I mean, look at you, saying "How can you not know this minor bit of info, it's SO OBVIOUS to the true Star Wars fan". Do you enjoy being stereotypical?

But it IS blatantly obvious! It changes a major scene in the movie!

You never even explained what scene you are talking about! Just tell me what you are talking about, and stop acting like one of those "well if you don't know I'm not going to tell you" people.

It's only obvious to the dedicated fans okay? Just admit it! People get the main plot points, like Darth VAder being Anakin, and the parlement being corrupt, and Darth Vader being Luke's father, but when people talk about stuff like, I dunno, Chewbakka being in a love triangle with the ewoks and R2D2 (who by the way represents Satan), we the casuals are lost.

It's Chewbacca.

And what about Artoo?

Who's Artoo?

Just explain what ABF is talking about here. I'm genuinly interested now.

Quote: I dunno, Chewbakka being in a love triangle with the ewoks and R2D2 (who by the way represents Satan), we the casuals are lost.

I don't have a clue what you're talking about here.

Quote:You never even explained what scene you are talking about! Just tell me what you are talking about, and stop acting like one of those "well if you don't know I'm not going to tell you" people.

But its fun... :D

Quote:Yeah, but really though, why isn't magic considered sci fi? It's a completely fictional way the universe works, and if Q and the force is considered sci fi all other types of magic should be sci fi too.

As for fantasy, anything that is a fantastical adventure is a fantasy if you ask me. If people fantasize about going on that adventure, or if it's not a real world but one imagined, why isn't fantasy a good word? I think it all goes back to nerd semantics. Only a bunch of the geeks would be coming together to say a fantasy isn't a fantasy unless there is magic or something assanine like that.

Fantasy generally means, as I sure hope you know, medieval settings, magic, other races, etc... and while it and sci-fi are admittedly similar (like how fantasy and sci-fi are often shelved together in bookstores, etc) they aren't the same... sci-fi can include more 'realism' -- it attempts to explain how the (generally futuristic) world that its in operates the way it does. Fantasy does somewhat, but relies a lot more on mystical energies and stuff like that... without the science.

Oh, and as for them as genre labels, its like any genre label -- it doesn't completely fit but it's the popularly chosen one so that's the way it is. Fantasy is medieval-magic and sci-fi is futuristic.

I never took fantasy to be medieval, especially since most fantasy stories take place in imaginary worlds that aren't based on our Earth. (Which by the way opens up another pet peeve of mine, when people complain about such and such technology being somewhere as "unrealistic" when the whole world is made up anyway, right down to continent shape.)

Quote:I never took fantasy to be medieval, especially since most fantasy stories take place in imaginary worlds that aren't based on our Earth. (Which by the way opens up another pet peeve of mine, when people complain about such and such technology being somewhere as "unrealistic" when the whole world is made up anyway, right down to continent shape.)

Umm... so setting it in another place means its not set in medieval times? It is... Medieval-style times, but with magic and all kinds of non-human races.

Oh, and my main issue with fantasy (as we've discussed several times before) is how they are in some time warp where they never progress to possess meaningful amounts of gunpowder and are stuck in the middle ages for thousands of years in most cases...

Ah yes, I remember that. However, not ALL fantasy is like that. Look at Final Fantasy 6 7 8 and 10, they have guns and use them often there! (Well, 6 none of the main characters have them, but almost the whole empire is equipped with them.) Then as OB1 pointed out there's Star Wars, but oh right, you pointed out they are stuck in a technological time warp there too. Actually, in FFX they were also stuck in a time warp... Well the other FFs I listed tech was progressing steadily.

Hyrule seems to have a weird tech standpoint. They seem to be pretty much the same, but around LTTP's time it seems the phone was invented (though only a few exist, on the island of dreams actually :D). However, neon lights have existed since OOT days. They seem to have rudimentery electricity, and ancient days when the hookshot was first made and set in the Water Temple seem to have had very impressive mechanical technology.

Zelda commercial - Darunia - 1st March 2003

LOL, thats true...at the bombchu shop in Hyrule Castle Town, there's a juke box, and all that neon signing crap. But all that inconsistency only adds to the quaint charm of the games.

What's so inconsistant about all that? All that says is that this mysterious world has that technology, but just like when electricity was first introduced in our world, it's just a parlor trick right now, for the rich.

Fantasy pieces are usually set in the past or another world, while sci-fi is usually in the future and takes things that science has hinted at and goes crazy with it, such as time travel or light speed. A lot of fantasy also starts with "Once upon a time", or "a long time ago..." and is usually in a medieval-type LotR-ish setting, but that's not always neccessary. What matters is the type of story that it tells, which is usually that of a hero's journey or your basic good vs. evil storyline.

Different era with fictional stuff... Gotcha, it's both pretty much different spins on the same basic main genre. So what's the word I use to describe both as one unit?

Snow White is fantasy. Time Machine is science fiction. LotR is fantasy. Star Trek is science fiction.

What? Those are like 4 totally different kinds of stories, so how did two get gathered under one and two get gathered under another? I would have pegged Time Machine as fantasy...

Wait, does this have something to do with levels of technology vs levels of magic?

The original Time Machine book is cassified as sci-fi because it took some unproven scientific theories and ran with it.

Ah.... Seems a little arbitrary... So it is based on science alone... So, it's fantasy up until some scientific theory is imagined into it then? I don't like it Jasper...

Really, where does it end? Time warping is theoretical science, so is LOTR and Zelda sci fi based on that, oh and the hookshot? Then again, is it? We have space ships, so is something about a space ship nessecarily sci fi? If it is because that specific ship was never made here, like in Deep Impact (which goes not on an unprooven theory but the FACT that our planet is always in danger of space impacts), then what about any and all shows with made up ocean going ships, and made up planes?

It's kinda arbitrary. However, I'll go with it. That still doesnt' say why it's not fantasy. So, fantasy really is just an overall catagory then, with sci-fi just a sub catagory? That means anything sci fi is fantasy by that alone correct?

No! Sci-Fi and fantasy are two related, but different genres... I don't see what's so hard to understand aboutt it. You're trying to make it a lot more complex than it is...

But where is the seperation? Eh, as I see it distinguishing like this is PURE EVIL anyway. It's darkness on the cloud of nerds to actually distinguish here, it does nothing for us except TEAR US APART! Cheese is all that's left of parliment!

But its so simple!

Does it involve a present or future world which attemps to follow some kind of laws of physics (real or not)? Then its almost certainly sci-fi.

Is it set in medieval times, but with magic and/or fantastic creatures or races? Then its fantasy.

It can be some of both if, like Star Wars, it's a futuristic setting, but the story itsself is really a fantasy story... 'Long long ago in a place far, far away' -- that's fantasy...

Okay..

NO! I will not allow myself to have such a catagorization in my mind! It's all fun, and I will not be a divider! NEVER! *faints*

You're a stupid face.