Tendo City
One of the secrets of the Revolution... - Printable Version

+- Tendo City (https://www.tendocity.net)
+-- Forum: Tendo City: Metropolitan District (https://www.tendocity.net/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+--- Forum: Tendo City (https://www.tendocity.net/forumdisplay.php?fid=42)
+--- Thread: One of the secrets of the Revolution... (/showthread.php?tid=3550)

One of the secrets of the Revolution... - Paco - 21st February 2006

what do you make of this?

Quote:The "Bomb"...finally.

Update # 18
Feb 20th, 2006

Alright, I apologize for all the time this took to publish. I know you're all anxious to find out the big "bomb" as I like to call it. I promised February. I held up to that. All the other promises were delayed. Again, I'm sorry. I've written and re-written this post several times, carefully considering what exactly it should be comprised of. Without futhor rambling, here is the 18th update:

February is here. The unveiling of the Nintendo "Revolution" is only months away. Excited? I am. Because while I know much, I do not know all, nor have I claimed to. I know hardly anything about e3 at this point. Part of me doesn't want to ever know. I want to be just as shocked as you all are.

This post isn't about e3. This post is about a huge component yet to be known about the so-called revolutionary console created by Nintendo. This post is meant to be riddled with hints. I will give you a straight forward response to some of you concerns.

One of the secrets is not holograms. Awhile ago, there was a display that had "virtual water" and fish in it that interacted when stimulated. Unfortunately, this was just a cool display.

One of the secrets is not a built-in microphone in the "Revolution" or touch screen on the controller. There are a few things to learn about the controller yet, but nothing as big as a touch screen or anything like that.

So what are one of the secrets? Well, I'm certainly not going to list all of the undisclosed information. I will expose one of the biggest known secrets, though.

Nintendo On. Everybody remembers it. Some want to believe, others want to forget. Don't worry, anti-Ons, the Nintendo On is 100% fake. What isn't fake, however, is the basic idea presented in that video. The idea to create something so new, something so ahead of its time, something so unreal. The technology displayed in the Nintendo On video would be far too expensive and unexplainable. That said, did you notice some of the peculiar coincidenses that came from the video? Reggie, during e3, told everyone, and I quote, to "prepare to let your right brain run wild." This was no simple coincidense. To think with the right side of your brain is to think creatively. It's to become an iconoclast and defy known structure to do something different.

So what does this all mean? In simple terms, the Nintendo On video partially and unknowingly exposed something Nintendo have been working on creating for the mass market for years: virtual reality. No, not a Virtual Boy. Nothing like that. The VB was primitive in nature. It was a nice idea, but it had too many limitations and issues with comfort. It's been over a decade now. The technology has taken a gigantic leap forward. Yes, Nintendo want to bring you virtual reality.

This, my readers, is the peripheral. Not just any peripheral for the Revolution...THE peripheral. I didn't really say what Nintendo were making exactly. I just told you about a Virtual Revolution. I didn't say how this would work. I didn't mention the hardware behind this. I simply said virtual reality. This is optional VR. But this isn't just a gimmick for a few flagship first party games. No sir, this technology will be used a lot. The best part of all this is that you probably have the wrong idea. How can virtual reality be displayed? Does it require something bulky to put around your face? I don't think so. :-)

And what fun would it be to fully expose this revolution?

Good news and bad news: The bad news is this update is nearly over. The good news is this is a two part update, and the second part will be posted in a few days. The bomb has been dropped, but it hasn't hit ground yet...

http://revealingtherevolution.blogspot.com/

He just said a bunch of nothing.

One of the secrets of the Revolution... - Great Rumbler - 21st February 2006

I'll believe it when I see it.

One of the secrets of the Revolution... - lazyfatbum - 21st February 2006

virtual reality that's not "wrapped around your head"?

okay, so what is virtual reality?

virtual reality
n. Abbr. VR
A computer simulation of a real or imaginary system that enables a user to perform operations on the simulated system and shows the effects in real time.

n : a hypothetical three-dimensional visual world created by a computer; user wears special goggles and fiber optic gloves etc., and can enter and move about in this world and interact with objects as if inside it

A form of network interaction incorporating aspects of role-playing games, interactive theater, improvisational comedy, and `true confessions'
magazines. In a virtual reality forum (such as Usenet's alt.callahans newsgroup or the MUD experiments on Internet), interaction between the participants is written like a shared novel complete with scenery, `foreground characters' that may be personae utterly unlike the people who write them, and common `background characters' manipulable by all parties. The one iron law is that you may not write irreversible changes to a character without the consent of the person who `owns' it. Otherwise anything goes. See
bamf, cyberspace, teledildonics.

....wtf.

Anyhoo, the Revolution (as well as any console) can be classified as VR already in the broadest sense of the term. he says it has nothing to do with goggles, which leaves the ideal of simulation for asthetics, but he mentions it is a peripheral of some type.

A peripheral that offers a virtual reality experience without the use of a headset basically means some type of data gloves. i can imagine Nintendo showing a glove or pair of gloves that have a socket for the revcon to slip in to and allow you to 'grab' objects, 'flick, 'punch' even to play a virtual piano or guitar. So that would make sense, it would also fall in to the catagory of 'something else about the controller we are still keeping secret (until E3).'

Data gloves would be awesome with independent finger movement and what not. Like in metroid Prime, Samus activates her different gun types by making symbols with her hand. The 'rock on' sign activates the wavebeam, and so on. This would translate really well to a data glove where you change your weapon by using different hand symbols. But playing for hours on end with different contortions of your fingers could get tiring I imagine. But the ability to grab a virtual ball or grenade and throw it, or pull the bow's string or punch the baddie instead of 'clicking on it' with the revcon would be a better way that would really add to the gameplay and experience.

He also mentions specifically that it will not be bulky, which means it could still be something to do with glasses or a seperate screen (TV-less display), that gives you a 3-D view in to the game's world.

Good old wait and see, here we come.

One of the secrets of the Revolution... - A Black Falcon - 21st February 2006

I'll believe it IF I see it (on the Revolution that is)... But I am very doubtful, to say the least.

One of the secrets of the Revolution... - Dark Jaguar - 22nd February 2006

Indeed.

However, it seems to me this guy may just be using creative liscense in describing the Revolution controller. In a way, that controller IS a VR device.

One of the secrets of the Revolution... - lazyfatbum - 22nd February 2006

it would be interesting to see if he actually has any info from some source, but he has all the ear-marks of a faker. I looked in his history and he claimed things like 'The DS redesign will be revolutionary!", though he does apologize when he's wrong.

One of the secrets of the Revolution... - Dark Jaguar - 22nd February 2006

Interesting. Normally people blindly pulling unfounded predictions from their arse pretending to be more than they are never once mention any of their failures again. You know, to give the impression of a higher accuracy rate than they might actually have.