Tendo City
You knew it was going to happen, or not going to happen - Printable Version

+- Tendo City (https://www.tendocity.net)
+-- Forum: Tendo City: Metropolitan District (https://www.tendocity.net/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+--- Forum: Tendo City (https://www.tendocity.net/forumdisplay.php?fid=42)
+--- Thread: You knew it was going to happen, or not going to happen (/showthread.php?tid=3542)

You knew it was going to happen, or not going to happen - lazyfatbum - 19th February 2006

News Article: New Release Date for The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess
News Date: 02/19/2006 1:06:17
Source: Spike TV

Vice President Reggie drops date in interview with Spike TV.

On Spike TV's "Game Head" tonight, they featured an interview with NOA Executive Vice President of Sales and Marketing Reginald Fils-Aime. When discussing "The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess", show host Geoff Keighley directly asked when the game would be released. Fils-Aime answered that it would be out in the fall of this year. In addition, he stressed that it would be for Nintendo GameCube, contradicting rumors that the title was being moved to Revolution.

Jonathan says: Shocking! (No.)

-----

So they stress it's for GC... Can you say "The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess - Special Edition, only for Nintendo Revolution"? or "Revolution launch date - Christmas 06"? I bet you can.

You knew it was going to happen, or not going to happen - The Former DMiller - 19th February 2006

I know Nintendo is doing everything they can to make Twilight Princess one of the best games ever, but damn-it I can't wait much longer!

You knew it was going to happen, or not going to happen - Great Rumbler - 19th February 2006

I want the best Zelda game ever!

You knew it was going to happen, or not going to happen - A Black Falcon - 19th February 2006

Bah... again...

You knew it was going to happen, or not going to happen - EdenMaster - 19th February 2006

lazyfatbum Wrote:So they stress it's for GC... Can you say "The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess - Special Edition, only for Nintendo Revolution"? or "Revolution launch date - Christmas 06"? I bet you can.

Good point lazy. When I pre-ordered my copy of Twilight, they asked me if I wanted the regular or "special edition" version. It was $10 more, and they didn't know what the difference was. Hmm...

You knew it was going to happen, or not going to happen - Weltall - 19th February 2006

Pete Carroll and Bill Cowher might be surprised.

I'm not.

You knew it was going to happen, or not going to happen - lazyfatbum - 19th February 2006

It could be the GC Zelda with a poster, keychain, etc, EM. I dunno, if they dont have a listing of what the 'special edition' entails, i'd say it raises an eyebrow for sure.

I think Nintendo had a few meetings and asked the internal developers "why are we releasing a top notch, huge game for a console that is all but dead?" Realizing they have to make good on a promise to GC owners and people who have invested in the GC (private funding or share owners), they release the game and either along side it, or shortly after, a Revolution version with either an updated graphics and etc or just the Rev control interface and some online goodies (like if you buy it you get a coupon to d/l Zelda games off the network) recieves the title of 'special edition' and just like Link's Awakening Deluxe was the same game but in color with a new dungeon and items, etc, we get the same Twilight Princess with some slight graphical updates and possibly some huge upgrades (special Rev exclusive dungeon)

I bet my dick that this is what's going to happen, and it's genius. For the first time since ever, Nintendo will launch a console with a Zelda game.

You knew it was going to happen, or not going to happen - Great Rumbler - 19th February 2006

If Nintendo went that route, it would be HUGE.

You knew it was going to happen, or not going to happen - Weltall - 19th February 2006

I think this sucks though, cause there's no way I can afford a Rev at launch.

You may need to sell one of your kidneys on the black market, Ryan.

You knew it was going to happen, or not going to happen - The Former DMiller - 19th February 2006

What lazy is talking about is two versions of the game, though, and I think that's a pretty good plan if it's true. They can give early adopters a huge treat with a Zelda at launch and still not screw GameCube owners. The end of the year can't come fast enough...it's only February. :(

You knew it was going to happen, or not going to happen - A Black Falcon - 19th February 2006

What about that Kirby GC platformer then, which we saw last E3 and haven't heard from since...

You knew it was going to happen, or not going to happen - lazyfatbum - 20th February 2006

Well, think of it this way, Nintendo hasn't released an internally developed game since Pikmin 2. I think they've been working on Rev games since along with high profile games with close second parties, like Hal, who also hasn't released a game in years (Hal's last game was Kirby Air Ride).

Now there was that story on IGN about Super Smash bros. Online being developed by a new Nintendo branch (considered first party), which means Hal is probably going to be focusing entirely on a Kirby game or games.

Ryan/ So you buy an X360 at launch, but you cant afford a 200 dollar system? :D

You knew it was going to happen, or not going to happen - A Black Falcon - 20th February 2006

Yeah, both Hal and EAD have been pretty silent for some time now... they better be working on Revolution stuff. :) (well, unless Kirby actually comes out on GC, but at this point I'm skeptical...)

You knew it was going to happen, or not going to happen - Dark Jaguar - 20th February 2006

I have my doubts. Here's the deal. The Revolution will automatically HAVE the Zelda game since it can play Gamecube games.

I don't think there will be two seperate versions. However, it has already been stated that the Gamecube game will have a certain extra feature when played on the Revolution. Segregating the market between two versions is a bit of a mistake, but "Rev exclusive" content on the normal Gamecube game is something I can see Nintendo doing.

You knew it was going to happen, or not going to happen - lazyfatbum - 20th February 2006

There's more to it though, it was a mag that broke the story of Zelda using the rev controller - Nintendo denied it, the mag then blatently called Nintendo a bunch of liars, saying that they know for a fact that it does. Later, reggie said that Zelda is definitely going to be released on GC... in the fall, within weeks of the Revolution launch date.

Now this: "The trick will be what makes it special to play on the Revolution, and to the extent that we could create something like that, boy, wouldn't that be fantastic?" That's reggie from an upcoming EGM interview. think of what he's asking - 'Would the ability to use the revcon be enough to warrant interest in playing Zelda on the Rev?" And the answer is surprisingly no, i wouldn't spend 50 bucks on a game I already have just to use a different controller, but i would if it was graphically superior or had even more extras. By releasing a GC Zelda with Revcon compatability, you just lost out on some sales from people buying both versions, but of course the other version has be kept under wraps, otherwise everyone will just wait for the special edition.

The facts are:

* it will be released on GC
* The GC version will be playable on the revolution

that's it, the rest is just using logic, nintendo has pushed back a 'finished' game for an entire year or more for odd superficial reasons - 'We want to make it better'. An entire extra year of development raises alot of eyebrows, especially when consider Miyamoto's comment that progress on the new Zelda started shortly after the release of WW and that the Space World demo was from an early build of the new Zelda. So why would Nintendo push a finished game back for over a year, and then release it within weeks of their new console? There's only two viable answers:

The GC version will have extra Rev content.

There will be a seperate version released in the Rev launch window.

Now let's look at the Xbox360 launch titles - All of them were Xbox games that were updated with some flair for the new system. Just take game A, add some more textures, increase the poly count to make things less blocky, etc. When asked about the conversion with companies such as Rare, they said it took them about a year or less to convert an Xbox game to a 360 launch title. I think that logic speaks for itself.

My prediction is that Zelda GC will be released in the fall, have a few months to bask in the glory, and then at Rev launch 30+ days before Christmas 06, Nintendo will drop 'Zelda SE" which will be a graphically superior version with more bells and whistles but more importantly revcon compatibility. having a seperate version only makes more sense when you think about the 'best GC title ever' looking dated almost imeadiately when compared to the next gen revolution graphics. By releasing the second version, you solidify its hold on the market across two platforms for a loooong time, while having only the GC version, it will look dated when compared to the first Rev launch games.

It could go down this way too, you get Zelda GC, then a few months down the line you get a Rev, you throw in Zelda GC and the Rev asks you to connect to the wifi and d/l the new content to Zelda GC turning it in to the special edition when played on the Rev. It's more far fetched but technically sound.

Whatever the case, Nintendo will want to make as much money possible on this game, and they will want it to be popular for years and years. It's probably the most expensive game they've done since OoT and probably more so. Setting the GC launch back to fabricate a one-two punch of a GC and Rev version would make that idea concrete, one game spanning two generations, two consoles. From every angle you look at it, for the fans, for the money, for the business, spending a year to make a better version for the Rev off the GC version just makes sense.

You knew it was going to happen, or not going to happen - EdenMaster - 20th February 2006

lazyfatbum Wrote:Ryan/ So you buy an X360 at launch, but you cant afford a 200 dollar system? :D

You gotta remember though, that the 360 was an investment on his part :). He bought it knowing full well eh'd get his money back, and possibly more.

If he bought a Revolution simply to sell it, I think half of us would refuse to speak to him aymore :D.

Your ideas sound great lazy, and I hope they're true. I can think of so many uses for the RevCon in Zelda. Be it swinging a sword, firing a bow, throwing a boomerang, holding Epona's reins, fishing, and think of the puzzle possibilities!

*salivates*

I really, really want this game, but I can wait. I've done it for freakin' long enough!

You knew it was going to happen, or not going to happen - Geno - 20th February 2006

HEAD

HIT

KEYBOARD

I just hope Kingdom Hearts II can hold me over in the meantime.

You knew it was going to happen, or not going to happen - Weltall - 20th February 2006

Yeah, I bought the 360 just to sell it. When the PS3 comes out, I will buy one just to sell it.

Rev? I don't think it will face that kind of demand, to be honest. I would keep it anyway.

You knew it was going to happen, or not going to happen - Dark Jaguar - 20th February 2006

Consider this lazy. For the second idea to be valid, Nintendo would have to consider giving the "first version" of the game maximum time to get as many sales out of us as possible. So, they would NOT have delayed it but rather released the GCN version and then spent this entire time working on the Revolution version. If they spent this whole time adding in Revolution features, well that seems more plausible.

There is the third option you dismissed out of hand for marketting reasons. They really weren't done yet. Consider Zelda 2, delayed for a pretty long period of time itself as I recall, and it really was due to not being "done yet" (though at the time, they claimed "chip shortages"). The next system coming out would put a damper on the game's sales under normal conditions, but as the system is in fact backwards compatible, I really don't see how it would cut into sales of the new Zelda game to release the Revolution. It may be, sadly enough, that a Gamecube game becomes the most bought game for the Revolution.

I was not aware Nintendo stated they were NOT in fact adding Rev controller support to the game. That raises some eyebrows. Now it's "he said she said" except I am willing to give Nintendo a bit more clout.

You knew it was going to happen, or not going to happen - A Black Falcon - 20th February 2006

Quote:Rev? I don't think it will face that kind of demand, to be honest. I would keep it anyway.

Hopefully it'd be because Nintendo actually built enough units to cope with demand than a lack of consumer interest in the Revolution... :)

Oh, and while this is making it harder to see this game making as big an impact as it would have last Christmastime, as late-system games never do as well, and that might be cause to say 'it'll have some kind of Revolution connection', I don't think it'll actually be different versions of the game. It'll probably be primarially a GC game, perhaps with some kind of Rev hookup... Nintendo has done it before, like the GBA extras in Zelda - Oracles...

You knew it was going to happen, or not going to happen - EdenMaster - 20th February 2006

You knew it was going to happen, or not going to happen - lazyfatbum - 21st February 2006

DJ/ regardless of anything they want to do to the game (if it's actually not done), releasing the game on a system that's about to be phased out is going to murder the chances of Zelda making making a huge impact on the market. The same also applies to releasing a Zelda with some content for the Rev that will be graphically inferior to the worst Revolution games. As soon as rev is released, people will beg for an updated Zelda, whether the GC zelda has Revcon support or not.

as far as releasing the game's so close to eachother (if the double release happens) you have to think off it in terms of lastability. Nintendo knows the GC is a lost cause right now, at best the new Zelda will sell a few hundred thousand world wide on GC. At BEST; so what do you do? You release the game at the tail end of the GC's retirement and atleast make back the money you spent printing the disks and the getting the marketing going, and then you reap the rest of your sales on the next gen side of things with a game that only needs a few tweaks here and there to look next gen. nintendo's going to release it on GC but only because they promised, they know that in the grand scheme of things it will be a failure in comparison to what they want the game to do in sales. And this past year has been spent to create a rev version of the game so that when its released on GC and it gets that enitial few hundred thousand sales, they can turn right around and not only get repeat business with people buying both versions but also hit the new market of the next gen as people go nuts for the newer system and (with the help of zelda), give them a huge user base