Tendo City
Far Cry Predator on Xbox 360 - Printable Version

+- Tendo City (https://www.tendocity.net)
+-- Forum: Tendo City: Metropolitan District (https://www.tendocity.net/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+--- Forum: Tendo City (https://www.tendocity.net/forumdisplay.php?fid=42)
+--- Thread: Far Cry Predator on Xbox 360 (/showthread.php?tid=3528)

Far Cry Predator on Xbox 360 - Paco - 14th February 2006

It's not jaw-dropping but it's really, really nice looking. It's amazing what they're getting out of the Crytek 2 engine, I can only imagine what they'll do with the upcoming Crysis engine.Woah

http://media.xbox360.ign.com/media/791/791949/vids_1.html

The water is beautiful.

Also, what, the 360's only been out for like 3 months and this is what they're doing with it. It's only going to get better.:D

Far Cry Predator on Xbox 360 - The Former DMiller - 14th February 2006

It looks okay, but, as you said, definitely not jaw-dropping. I'd like to see videos of that water with enemies all over the place and a lot of action on-screen. Then I'd be impressed.

Far Cry Predator on Xbox 360 - Dark Jaguar - 14th February 2006

You know what finally got me thinking "okay, THIS is next gen"? A boxing game demo I saw on the 360. As far as gameplay, no, I'm not getting that game. However, that game just LOOKED amazing on a level that is far away above what I've seen on the current generation.

Far Cry Predator on Xbox 360 - Great Rumbler - 14th February 2006

The water looks really good, but everything else is just kind of "okay".

That's what I thought, however I just got a look at a still photo there.

GR, you seen that boxing game demo I mentioned? I'm pretty sure the 360 only has a single boxing game right now, so if you've seen one I'm pretty sure you've seen it.

Far Cry Predator on Xbox 360 - Great Rumbler - 14th February 2006

Quote:GR, you seen that boxing game demo I mentioned? I'm pretty sure the 360 only has a single boxing game right now, so if you've seen one I'm pretty sure you've seen it.

I've seen it and yeah, it looks very realistic. I still don't want it though.

Neither do I. Not only have I never been a real fan of boxing games, that doesn't even seem like it would be a good example of the genre. I'm just saying it was very visually impressive.

Far Cry Predator on Xbox 360 - lazyfatbum - 15th February 2006

Water is very pretty and the HD looks good but the graphics themselves are very current gen. It makes sense too because that's an XBox game. cccpcrusader had the Xbox version of it and said it was okay but nothing to write home about.

if you wanna see next gen look at Gears of War or Turok the fucked up Alien Hunter (Prey). At times Prey looks so-so and very current gen (Doom 3) while some shots just scream nextgen.

Far Cry Predator on Xbox 360 - Paco - 15th February 2006

Dark Jaguar Wrote:You know what finally got me thinking "okay, THIS is next gen"? A boxing game demo I saw on the 360. As far as gameplay, no, I'm not getting that game. However, that game just LOOKED amazing on a level that is far away above what I've seen on the current generation.

You're talking about Fight Night Round 3...from EA.

[Image: ea-sports-fight-night-round-3-20060207003327751.jpg]

[Image: ea-sports-fight-night-round-3-20060203112724653.jpg]

Curious thing is that it looks good and supposedly plays well, too. At least that's what most people have said since the demo came out on Live not too long ago. After seeing EA's half-assed launch games I really didn't expect to see anything noteworthy from them on the 360.

Far Cry Predator on Xbox 360 - lazyfatbum - 15th February 2006

I seriously hope that's real time and not pre-rendered, if a game can look that realistic (and hopefully animate with the same calibur of realism) on the 360 you have to wonder what the developers are doing with themselves. I'd love to see a fantasy fighting game with that much realism, to the point that it looks like you could touch it and you would feel its surfaces as you would expect the real life versions of it too feel. It reminds me of Sully from Monster's Inc and how beautifully they did the fur, little kids would reach at the screen wantinng to pet him :D

The only downside though is that in that picture, the people look dead, no emotion. giving them realistic emotions would be the next step and, speaking of Pixar, has to be doe by specialized people who simply woork with emotions and build the face carriages

Far Cry Predator on Xbox 360 - Paco - 15th February 2006

lazyfatbum Wrote:I seriously hope that's real time and not pre-rendered, if a game can look that realistic (and hopefully animate with the same calibur of realism) on the 360 you have to wonder what the developers are doing with themselves. I'd love to see a fantasy fighting game with that much realism, to the point that it looks like you could touch it and you would feel its surfaces as you would expect the real life versions of it too feel. It reminds me of Sully from Monster's Inc and how beautifully they did the fur, little kids would reach at the screen wantinng to pet him :D

The only downside though is that in that picture, the people look dead, no emotion. giving them realistic emotions would be the next step and, speaking of Pixar, has to be doe by specialized people who simply woork with emotions and build the face carriages

They are real-time. You can play it right now and it certainly does look like that. EA says FNR 4 will be when they pull out all the stops and take it entirely into next-gen.

I think it comes down to the developers who are willing to take the time and tap into the extra power and those who just want to make a quick buck with a sloppy port. Other than Gears of War, I have yet to see a 360 game built from the ground up for the console in mind (even then, wasn't it originally a PC game?). Hopefully Rare's two new games, set to be announced very shortly, will show us what the 360 can really do.

Far Cry Predator on Xbox 360 - Dark Jaguar - 15th February 2006

Yes, it IS real time. I haven't actually played the demo myself, someone else was and was NOT willing to step aside :D.

To be honest, the game looks very boring as far as gameplay, so I didn't mind. I just watched the "show". And yes, the models are that amazing, but the animation is just "good enough". Nothing to write home about, and the whole thing appears to be in slow motion. However, there is room for improvement.

Far Cry Predator on Xbox 360 - lazyfatbum - 16th February 2006

The animation's the kicker, now theat we've finally reached the point of photorealism (or atleast, broke in to it) the realism of movement and emotion will come in to play. But I dont see video game animators taking involved classes to raise their education on body lannguages and the ins and outs of the hows and whys of expression. it's really funny, but the best artists i've encountered always make these dead-pan faces with no emotion, while th cartoonists and doodlers make the perfect expressions for their characters.

hmm... if i think about it, i'd have to say that Nintendogs is the only game I can say really brought emotional expression in video games. Sure there's the spritebased stuff, like the awesome animation of square games before they went 3-D, but in that 3-D realm of gaming I cant think of a single game that had 'emotional' characters. even the survival horror games have dead pan faces, great animation though in most cases. can anyone else think off emotional expression in 3-D game characters/games (not a cut scene or pre-rendered scene)?

Paco/ it's definitely poor development if EA (one of the worst game writers out there) can make a game look that good while other developers are floundering with not-next-gen graphics. what are the rumors suggesting as far as the unnannounced games? Blast corps! omg blast corps!

Far Cry Predator on Xbox 360 - The Former DMiller - 16th February 2006

What about Wind Waker? There were certainly emotions in that game.

Far Cry Predator on Xbox 360 - Great Rumbler - 16th February 2006

ICO and Shadow of the Colossus had their fare share of emotion, though not because of realistic animation.

Far Cry Predator on Xbox 360 - Paco - 16th February 2006

lazyfatbum Wrote:Paco/ it's definitely poor development if EA (one of the worst game writers out there) can make a game look that good while other developers are floundering with not-next-gen graphics. what are the rumors suggesting as far as the unnannounced games? Blast corps! omg blast corps!
Conflicting rumors.

One set from supposed insider sources suggests that Killer Instinct 3 and Banjo-Kazooie 3 are the new titles.

Another rumor has them as new IPs. As much as I hope for a new KI and BK I have reason to believe this rumor more. Rare has expressed many times in their scribes (letters) section that games such as Jet Force Gemini and the like were games for their time, and that they fondly look back however they don't want it to stagnate them from exploring new ideas.

A game codenamed Viva La Pinata (I think I spelled it right) has been very heavily rumored. It also coincides with a deal Microsoft made with a distributor of sorts for all kinds of things like shampoo, a tv show, trading cards, etc. I believe EGM likened it to "Microsoft's own Pokemon."

Rare has said that both titles have over two years of development time behind them. So I guess that means we might see them in 2009? j/k...I hope.

We'll see.

Far Cry Predator on Xbox 360 - Paco - 16th February 2006

DMiller Wrote:What about Wind Waker? There were certainly emotions in that game.

Yes. I will never forget when Link was about to be launched out of that cannon into the fortress. He squinted and it just set me off. I did this...Rofl

Far Cry Predator on Xbox 360 - Dark Jaguar - 16th February 2006

Animation of movement implies accurate simulation of emotional expression.