Tendo City
Games of the Year 2005... - Printable Version

+- Tendo City (https://www.tendocity.net)
+-- Forum: Tendo City: Metropolitan District (https://www.tendocity.net/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+--- Forum: Tendo City (https://www.tendocity.net/forumdisplay.php?fid=42)
+--- Thread: Games of the Year 2005... (/showthread.php?tid=3505)

Games of the Year 2005... - A Black Falcon - 7th February 2006

Because having game of the year awards during the year the awards are for is just stupid. It leaves out games which come out right at the end of the year... which often happens...

Anyway... Nintendo stuff only, at least for this thread. Not sure how to organize it though... 'top 10' or whatever for each platform? By genre and platform? By genre, platform neutral (with top-list platform awards too)? I'll start with the last idea. Nominations... (add more!)

RPG
---
Final Fantasy IV Advance (GBA)
Riviera: The Promised Land (GBA)
Lunar Dragon Song (DS)

Strategy
---
Fire Emblem: The Sacred Stones (GBA)
Rebelstar Tactical Command (GBA)
Fire Emblem: Path of Radiance (GC)
Advance Wars: Dual Strike (DS)

Simulation
---
Nintendogs (DS)
Animal Crossing: Wild World (DS)

Platformer, side-scrolling
---
Donkey Kong: Jungle Beat (GC)
Kirby Canvas Curse (DS)
Sonic Rush (DS)

Platformer, 3d
---
Super Mario 64 DS (DS)

Action/adventure
---
The Legend of Zelda: The Minish Cap (GBA)
Castlevania: Dawn of Sorrow (DS)
Resident Evil 4 (GC)
Lego Star Wars (GC)

Action/shooter
---
Gunstar Super Heroes (GBA)
Nanostray (DS)

FPS
---
Geist (GC)
TimeSplitters: Future Perfect (GC)
Whatever Medal of Honor and Bond games EA made

Fighting
---
Mortal Kombat: Deception (GC)

Adventure
---
Phoenix Wright: Ace Attourney (DS)
Trace Memory (DS)

Racing
---
Midway Arcade Treasures 3 (GC)
Racing Gears Advance (GBA)
Mario Kart DS (DS)
SSX On Tour (GC)

Music
---
Donkey Konga 2 (GC)
DDR: Mario Mix (GC)

Puzzle
---
Meteos (DS)
Dr. Mario / Puzzle League (GBA)

Sports
---
Mario Superstar Baseball (GC)
Super Mario Strikers (GC)
Mario Power Tennis (GBA)

Other games that should be fit in somewhere, but which genre do they belong in
Wario Ware: Twisted - puzzle? create a 'minigames' category for this and Mario Party 7?
Sonic Gems Collection - 2d platformer, 3d fighting, and racing...
Battalion Wars (GC) - action/adventure? action? strategy?
Yoshi Touch 'n Go (DS) - action/shooter or 2d platformer?
Killer 7 (GC) - action/shooter or FPS?
What else?

... not that I actually expect this to go very far, but making lists is fun. :)

Oh, and I wouldn't mind a 'none of the above' category for some genres... :D

Games of the Year 2005... - Dark Jaguar - 7th February 2006

It's the perfect plan to get a game to get as many awards as you deem needed! Release it again with slight improvements!

Games of the Year 2005... - A Black Falcon - 8th February 2006

What are you targetting with that comment?

Games of the Year 2005... - Dark Jaguar - 8th February 2006

Final Fantasy IV Advance and Super Mario 64 DS

Games of the Year 2005... - A Black Falcon - 8th February 2006

Ah. Well, I at least wouldn't be voting for FF IV Advance, and as for Mario 64 Advance, well, were there any competitors worth mention on this list last year? I'm sure there were some liscenced platformers (and maybe a few other sequels) on all platforms, but I don't know enough of them to know if they'd be worthy of this list...

(Of course, it could be argued based on reviews that Lunar: Dragon Song isn't worthy, but it's pretty much the only RPG out for the DS last year, so I said 'list it anyway'... as for the GC, were there any RPGs at all (other than the looks-pretty-bad Digimon World 4)?)

Games of the Year 2005... - Sacred Jellybean - 9th February 2006

The only games I played from 2005 are Killer7 and Resident Evil 4. And RE:4 was on a friend's PS2.

Hmm. It's a tough call. RE:4 is Resident Evil, which isn't that original, but it seems to take the game in cool directions. Killer7 is original and cell-shaded and beautiful, but there are less gameplay possibilities. RE:4 comes up with different sequences based on your gameplay (that's what she told me, anyway), but Killer7 has more characters.

All-in-all, I think RE:4 edges it out. Even if it was on PS2.

I wish our TV didn't break, so I could play some Killer7 right now. :(

Games of the Year 2005... - A Black Falcon - 9th February 2006

Oh, I haven't played nearly all those games, but informed opinions based on what you know about a game count for something too, if not as much...

I've only played a few games too... I got both Fire Emblems and Riviera, but other than that I've just played a few. Played a bit of Sonic Gems Collection... but yeah, like usual I mostly got older stuff. :)

Even so, I don't think I'd be going against anything I could possibly disagree with by saying that the best Gamecube game of 2005 is Fire Emblem: Path of Radiance. Nothing else looks like it'd come even close... Resident Evil 4? I know it's supposedly so great and all, but for some reason I'm just not all that interested... maybe eventually, but it's no priority.

The overall best game of 2005 is very, very simple though: Guild Wars for PC. Overwhelming, total victory... nothing else comes even close. 500 hours just in 2005 and I still love it as much as ever? That's the first game that's done that to me other than a Blizzard RTS, really...

Games of the Year 2005... - Sacred Jellybean - 9th February 2006

Anyone try Trace Memory (that's the Nintendo-developed detective game, isn't it?) or Advance Wars DS?

Advance Wars GBA is awesome. I'm on Battle 18 and ready to god damn murder this robot.

Games of the Year 2005... - Geno - 9th February 2006

Minish Cap is the only game I got all year (I had forgotten all about it, but I got it for my birthday) so I guess it gets my vote for stuff.

I also got South Park Rally last year, but that's hardly a new game. I just had five bucks to blow and I figured why not?

Games of the Year 2005... - Dark Jaguar - 9th February 2006

Trace Memory is an interesting game. Fairly typical as far as PC adventure games go though.

The whole touch screen thing would be interesting except PC adventure games have had MICE for years.

Games of the Year 2005... - Great Rumbler - 9th February 2006

[Image: osawar10.jpg] [Image: osawar09.jpg] [Image: osawar04.jpg]

I hope Nintendo brings this out in America...

What was that?

Something that probably won't get released in the US?

That's what they said about Trace Memory.

I'd say there is a chance it'll get released here.

I want Goemon. :(

Games of the Year 2005... - A Black Falcon - 11th February 2006

http://www.success-corp.co.jp/software/ds/osawari_tantei/

That's what that game is.

Nintendo may be better at publishing/allowing Japanese-style games than Sony on its platforms (and it is, by a good margin), but not so much that there aren't still lots of titles we miss... Magical Vacation, EarthBound 0/1, KuruKuru Kururin, etc for GBA, Goemon, Osu! Takatae! Oendan, this, etc for DS (we can hold out a bit of hope for these games, but not a whole lot...), Kururin Smash and others for GC... (Naruto 3 or 4...)

Games of the Year 2005... - lazyfatbum - 11th February 2006

Music: Guitar Hero - PS2. DK 2 - GC

Music/side scroller/action/adventure: DK Jungle Beat - GC

FPS: PDZ - X360 (even though I have yet to spend more than an hour on it :D)

Action/Strategy/shooter: Battalion Wars - GC

Sleeper of the year - Battalion Wars

speaking of which, i just finished up getting S on everything except 3 levels. if anyone here has this game please, please, please HELP

Games of the Year 2005... - Paco - 11th February 2006

I spent most of 2005 catching up...

Prince of Persia Sands of Time
Chronicles of Riddick Escape from Butcher Bay
Zelda: Minish Cap
Jade Empire
Conker: Live and Reloaded
Ratchet & Clank Up Your Arsenal
Jak 3
Devil May Cry 2

Jade Empire and Conker were the only games I listed that actually released in 2005. Of those two, Jade Empire by a long shot. It's a fantastic RPG even if a bit short.

Out of the entire list, I want to say Jak 3 was the stand out gaming experience for me in 2005.

Games of the Year 2005... - A Black Falcon - 12th February 2006

Quote:Prince of Persia Sands of Time

I thought about getting this several times after seeing it for $15, but didn't...

Games of the Year 2005... - Weltall - 12th February 2006

I can't think of any game besides RE4 that came out in 2005 that I played in its entirety.

So, it wins by default.

Games of the Year 2005... - lazyfatbum - 12th February 2006

Sands of Time is awesome, its sequel and threequel are TBA (to be avoided). sands of time has a great fighting engine that lets you button mash to quickly hackthrough multiple enemies (and take damage) or gget fancy and either use moves or special 'sands of time' powers to take down room fulls of enemies without getting hit, so its really intuitive; you decide how to play. The game is broken in to two catagories, your puzzles and your combat. i explained how the combat system is mostly fun, though some eneies will throw a curve at you, some can only be defeated by attacking them in particular ways which can get boring. But the puzzles is where the game really shines, the sands of time powers allow you to slow down time, speed it up or reverse it. The amount of power you have dictates the time you have to use it, so if you have a full bar you might be able to reverse 10 seconds of time, etc. It's dynamic so its upgradable and each power has a different consumption level.

But you run down the hall way and in front of you is a spiky pit. You use the prince's wall-running move and look for a viable place to jump or latch on to. You findd it, make the jump... and miss. Falling to your death, the end. But just hit a button and you reverse time to any point within the last 10 seconds or so and then try again. You can do this over and over until your bar has completely run out (you refill it by killing enemies). Now imagine levels that are giant puzzles themselves requiring the player to activate sequences and figure out proper orders within quick time frames (very Zelda) with the added dynamic of time manipulation - you'll jump farther, react faster and perform mmoves that you can only do while in a slowed or halted time-frame that make the seemingly impossible puzzles 9and some enemies) a tactical-like affair.

So take a ho-hum platformer/beatemup with levels, bosses, etc, add in some special moves and unique abilities previously unseen, add the intuitive combat system and the dynamic time manipulation and level-sized puzzles and you have yourself a few weeks worth of 15 bucks well spent, and like I said avoid the sequels... Though the 3rd one is supposed to be pretty good, the first out still out shines it.

Games of the Year 2005... - Paco - 12th February 2006

ABF, Sands of Time is a really great game. I haven't played the sequels though I've heard they're good, but not as well balanced. Spend the $15, you won't regret it.