Tendo City
Microsoft can eat my fat cock - Printable Version

+- Tendo City (https://www.tendocity.net)
+-- Forum: Tendo City: Metropolitan District (https://www.tendocity.net/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+--- Forum: Ramble City (https://www.tendocity.net/forumdisplay.php?fid=44)
+--- Thread: Microsoft can eat my fat cock (/showthread.php?tid=3503)

Pages: 1 2

Microsoft can eat my fat cock - Dark Jaguar - 9th February 2006

Who would buy the FREE OSX kernal? No one I can think of.

Now that's an interesting bit of something.

Microsoft can eat my fat cock - etoven - 9th February 2006

Dark Jaguar Wrote:Who would buy the FREE OSX kernal? No one I can think of.

Now that's an interesting bit of something.

You would basically have a OS with no gooie to support it. Like windows without explorer.exe!

Microsoft can eat my fat cock - The Former DMiller - 9th February 2006

Dark Jaguar Wrote:Ah! So that's how they did it. I knew that Unix at least had to be free ENOUGH that you could alter it and give it away without being sued.

So then, would you say it would be better for them to stick with Unix or move on to Linux based Mac?

I'd still like an informed opinion of the current day consensus on which is better.

Well, I've never been the biggest fan of Linux, mostly because it is not very user-friendly for the average user. I love OS X because the average user can pick it up very easily, but geeks can still play around in the terminal to do cool things with Unix.

Anyway, I'm not quite sure if you're asking if Apple should base their OS off of Linux or if someone with a Mac should use Linux or OS X. I'll guess the latter and say I see very little reason to have Linux on a Mac since OS X is already based off of Unix so Linux doesn't add any improved stability. I've certainly seen it done, but not too many Mac owners use Linux as their main OS.

Microsoft can eat my fat cock - Dark Jaguar - 9th February 2006

Keep on track! No, it was the former.

Microsoft can eat my fat cock - Weltall - 10th February 2006

etoven Wrote:You would basically have a OS with no gooie to support it. Like windows without explorer.exe!

In other words, Windows ME?

Microsoft can eat my fat cock - The Former DMiller - 10th February 2006

Dark Jaguar Wrote:Keep on track! No, it was the former.

Okay, in that case I would say there would be no logical reason for Apple to base their OS on Linux. They already have a stable OS based on BSD Unix and it would be a waste to ditch years of work to make a change that wouldn't really add anything to the equation.

Microsoft can eat my fat cock - A Black Falcon - 10th February 2006

Quote: In other words, Windows ME?

WinME has a gui... a not very stable one, but it has one. :)

Microsoft can eat my fat cock - Dark Jaguar - 10th February 2006

Okay DMiller, that basically says that Unix and Linux are pretty much identical in most ways that count when making an OS.

So, what's the difference between Linux and Unix?

Linux and Unix are very similar. Linux was developed to be just like Unix except it would be totally open so the commands in Linux are almost identical to Unix commands, although I don't use Linux enough to know specific differences.

Microsoft can eat my fat cock - Dark Jaguar - 10th February 2006

I see. It is highly likely Linux is just Unix with a different liscensing system.

This leaves me with one final bit of questioning.

What sort of liscencing does Unix have? What does Linux have? And, if Unix has a not so open source policy, how exactly is it that Linux got the rights to be "totally open" since it is derived from Unix?

I'm not really sure how it all worked out. I do know there are different versions of Unix, such as Free BSD, that are open source so perhaps that is how Linux got away with trying to mimic Unix as closely as possible.