Tendo City
Silent Hill 5 coming to Revolution! (Not true, false rumor!) - Printable Version

+- Tendo City (https://www.tendocity.net)
+-- Forum: Tendo City: Metropolitan District (https://www.tendocity.net/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+--- Forum: Tendo City (https://www.tendocity.net/forumdisplay.php?fid=42)
+--- Thread: Silent Hill 5 coming to Revolution! (Not true, false rumor!) (/showthread.php?tid=3479)

Silent Hill 5 coming to Revolution! (Not true, false rumor!) - Weltall - 24th January 2006

http://www.gamercc.com/index.php?page=showarticle&id=3677

Quote:"Konami Computer Entertainment Japan and Nintendo yesterday announced the development of 'Silent Hill 5' for the Japanese company's new console, codenamed Revolution. Although everyone initially thought that the new edition of this horror series would arrive exclusively for PS3 [C3 note: since the rest of the series has been on Sony formats], it would seem that the development team was seduced by the innovative Revolution controller. According to Akira Yamaoka, Producer of the series: "We are excited with the great possibilities of the new control. We believe that the Silent Hill series will have a great jump [in the next generation] and the Revolution is the solution to materialise our innovative plans ". Silent Hill 5 will be launched exclusively for the Nintendo Revolution. The first images will be published, according to Yamaoka, during the Eletronic Entertainment Expo (E3) in May 2006."

All I can say is... fucking WOW. No doubt in my mind whatsoever that I'll be owning a Revolution as soon as possible!

lazy so called this months ago, by the way.

Silent Hill 5 coming to Revolution! (Not true, false rumor!) - EdenMaster - 24th January 2006

This is all Ryan needed to see to warrant a Revolution purchase!

Don't get your hopes up, though. Remember Xenosaga.

Silent Hill 5 coming to Revolution! (Not true, false rumor!) - A Black Falcon - 24th January 2006

Xenosaga was supposed to be a retooling/replacement for Xenogears though, and game 2 of the 'series', while this is game 5... more hopeful for sure, I'd think... but yeah, this is definitely quite surprising. A game that had been PS1/2 exclusive now on Revolution (I won't say only, it often doesn't turn out that way, but on it, period...)? Interesting...

Silent Hill 5 coming to Revolution! (Not true, false rumor!) - Weltall - 24th January 2006

Xenosaga was supposed to be the first of a series that Xengears actually finished as Episode 5. It was done by a different team with different direction. It showed.

Silent Hill switched directors between 2 and 3. 1 was a fantastic game, a classic. 2 is my second favorite game ever. 3 wasn't quite as good but didn't disappoint. 4... 4 had a really good story. The game wasn't all that good though.

However, since the team has been together this long, I am willing to bet on SH5 being as good as the other games, and if not, I KNOW the storyline will impress. 4 was my least favorite game, but the story was almost as good as 2's.

Silent Hill 5 coming to Revolution! (Not true, false rumor!) - A Black Falcon - 25th January 2006

This may or may not actually be true, I'm not sure... looking into it a bit more, I think it's much more likely that it's not.

http://boards.gamefaqs.com/gfaqs/genmessage.php?board=988&topic=25959468&page=0
http://translate.google.com/translate?u=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.todojuegos.com%2Fgate.html%3Fname%3DAxlNews%26file%3Darticle%26sid%3D2646&langpair=es%7Cen&hl=en&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&prev=%2Flanguage_tools
http://www.playerzone.com.br/noticias-integra.asp?pauta=871

Silent Hill 5 coming to Revolution! (Not true, false rumor!) - lazyfatbum - 25th January 2006

Holy fat Christ are you shitting me?

*thinks*

1.) It will have alot of first person gameplay, lots of puzzles and scare-tactics that incorporate 3-D movement.

2.) Absolutely ANYTHING could happen in the story, as it is right now.

3.) Online co-op or multiplayer modes similar to Resident Evil Online.

4.) This probably means that Konami has signed on to the virtual console as well. I dont think I have to say explain what that means.

5.) No one is ever going to look at Nintendo the same way ever again.

Silent Hill 5 coming to Revolution! (Not true, false rumor!) - EdenMaster - 25th January 2006

It certainly won't hurt Nintendo's kiddy image to have one of the most frightening horror franchises since Resident Evil on their new console.

Silent Hill 5 coming to Revolution! (Not true, false rumor!) - Great Rumbler - 25th January 2006

This has been proven false. Sorry, guys. :(

Silent Hill 5 coming to Revolution! (Not true, false rumor!) - Dark Jaguar - 25th January 2006

First of all, you make some pretty large predictions lazy. Some of them seem logical, but others seem based purely on hopeful speculation (namely the online aspect).

GR, you say the news at that site is not accurate. I will be the first to admit I have never heard of that web site before, so I have no idea how trustworthy they are. That said, I suppose I don't have much reason to believe it. Still, if you have further evidence why it should be ignored, tell us. Link us please.

Resident Evil Outbreak (files 1 and 2) are very fun games. It's like 4 swords only all the players can just take off on their own across the levels. As I happen to actually own the hard disk drive, load times aren't an issue, but finding other players USING the HD is. Fortunatly, I almost exclusively play with my friends online, who also have the hard drive, so it's not a big problem.

I have to say that the fear of struggling along near the end of those levels is tense. Sure you have an ally, but you are never quite sure how infected they are near the end, and they could "turn" at any time. The communication is purposefully limited to basic verbs which get the job done just fine. File 2 added a few new statements at that. It must be said, running away from a leech-man and suddenly hearing the screams of some poor ally on the floor below you as they struggle against some zombies is something that's hard to forget. "Help! Somebody!" In fact, I believe Sea Lab parodied that with their own zombie episode where Quinn was calling for help fighting those guys with a shotgun using the SAME lines used in Outbreak when a character calls for help. "Somebody! Please!"

Silent Hill 5 coming to Revolution! (Not true, false rumor!) - Great Rumbler - 25th January 2006

Quote:GR, you say the news at that site is not accurate. I will be the first to admit I have never heard of that web site before, so I have no idea how trustworthy they are. That said, I suppose I don't have much reason to believe it. Still, if you have further evidence why it should be ignored, tell us. Link us please.

http://www.ga-forum.com/showthread.php?t=82215

Silent Hill 5 coming to Revolution! (Not true, false rumor!) - Dark Jaguar - 25th January 2006

That's not much to go on... It's just forum goers I've never heard of saying it was already "proven false" without any reasoning behind it.

I will admit that the source of "Nintendo Central" is something I've never heard of. Certainly that isn't something that's a part of Nintendo itself, and I question where this Nintendo Central got it's information from as well.

So then, I suppose I don't have much reason to trust the source, leaving my default position that of disbelief until I have sufficient reason to believe it (and no, wanting it to be true is not sufficient reason). I suppose bothering with anything further is irrelevent.

I suppose there's nothing left to say on this except that to further talk about this is just pointless hopeful speculation.

That said, allow me to engage in pointless hopeful speculation.

Imagine if you will what a survival horror game would play like using the Revolution controller. First person is a likely candidate, but that's too close to Resident Evil Gun Survivor, especially if you are given a gun. Using the controller to move the character around would likely be more awkward than using an analog stick. It would be akin to, well, have any of you played a game that allowed you to directly control a character's movement with the mouse in a 3rd person mode? Yeah, it's not exactly very intuitive...

I think this is a failure of imagination on my part... I'm just having a hard time seeing an actual working method. Not just "you wave the controller and the character moves around", I mean specifics, an accurate method by which controller movement allows a natural means of controlling a character in a 3rd person setup. Hmm, I think I have something actually. The analog stick would be moving the character around, while the motion sensor segment would control the character's weaponry, and all other world interaction. I imagine that a lot of "mode switching" would be required, however this could work. For example, let's say you want to run backwards while aiming at freaky broken glass monsters (representing YOUR TRANSPARENT SOUL, SO EASILY SHATTERED, or something). The main question is, where in the movement range of the controller while in aim mode (default mode I think) should it suddenly realize you are trying to look "behind" your character? Hard to say, I think that every time you start up the game you may need to calibrate where the "center" of the field of movement is. Or, this could be done with the press of a button. Press it in the area of space that is where the "character" is, perhaps? Another button could be held down, that Z trigger, to activate "grab". Hold it down, you grab something if it is possible, and now motion sensing varies depending on what you grabbed.

Silent Hill 5 coming to Revolution! (Not true, false rumor!) - A Black Falcon - 25th January 2006

Did you read the links I provided? That GA thread explains it too, but the Gamefaqs one has it too... the original source is that second link of mine. A Mexican site. It was posted on 12/28/05, which in Mexico evidently is a day like April Fool's Day -- "Dia de los Innocentes". Note the name of the "news item" on the page: "(INOCENTE :-) ) Silent Hill 5 saldrá en exclusiva para Nintendo Revolution." Then the first line, in English, is "It finishes it announcing Konami... But it is day 28 of December..." It starts wtih INOCENTE for a reason: to note that this is in fact a fake news item made for the 'holiday'. Just like April Fools Day news, it seems.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/December_28#Holidays_and_observances
Wikipedia:
Quote:Calendar of Saints - Feast of the Holy Innocents, a.k.a. Childermas, commemorating the Massacre of the Innocents on order of king Herod the Great. In Spain and Latin American countries the festival is celebrated in a manner similar to April Fool's Day.

The second site, which brought this up now, is a Brazillian magazine -- which evidently missed the fact that this was a made up news item and posted it as true a few days ago (several weeks after the original article). It's pretty clear that they took it from that article because the wording is exactly the same. Rumor spreads as supposed fact.

Now... I know, once in a while true news comes out on April Fools Day, from Japan or whatnot... it has happened before; I know Nintendo has announced things before on April 4th. But is that the case here, that this is real and just on that day? I think that the evidence points to almost certainly not. The title and first line of the original article just point too clearly to it being something they made up...

No, I didn't read that link. I didn't even notice you posted 3 links up there. However, THAT was more than enough reason to disregard this completely. I have no reason at all to believe it is the case.

You know, it's bad enough we have ONE April Fool's Day, but now other cultures have equivilants of that holiday on OTHER days of the year, messin' with us? Well, that sucks.

I suppose Penny Arcade was right. That holiday really has no good reason to exist.

Silent Hill 5 coming to Revolution! (Not true, false rumor!) - lazyfatbum - 25th January 2006

Well, at the very least, I think it would be wise to keep an eye out on this news.

Konami have done *nothing* on Gamecube, save for like one or two titles. During the N64 days it was a different story. I think Nintendo wants their support back and after Capcom comes out and says 'we're making several games for Revolution... but not RE5, we feel that Revolution needs it's own special Resident Evil so it will be ready at a later time." And then to have Konami step up to the plate and announce a survival horror game for the system, makes perfect sense.

I think changing the thread title is in order...

As for April Fools' Day, I don't mind it, just some fun...

lazy, it's important to realize that there is no news here to keep an eye on.

There isn't? I thought the april fools joke sparked interest across the internet, printed media and even media outside the video game industry of which, by now, millions of people are excited about SH on Rev. Stuff like that is not ignored by companies. When you have an entire demographic of people saying "wouldn't it be great if SH used the revcon?" then as a company, you cant ignore that.

Nintendo will be pushing for companies to release games with online content of some type. It's not far fetched when you think about SH being online where each player runs through the town looking for various clues to find special items while fighting monsters and possibly eachother indirectly, like setting traps. In fact a treasure-hunt like online experience would probably fit SH the best.

I have no reason to believe any of that is actually the case though. The issue isn't if A company is going to make an online game at some point. The issue is this. Is Konami going to make an online Silent Hill game for Revolution?

Silent Hill 5 coming to Revolution! (Not true, false rumor!) - lazyfatbum - 26th January 2006

I should have seperated the paragraphs. The second paragraph (I just woke up and I typed parapa) is for your comment that there's no reason to think that SH will be online based on my earlier post. Si just treat my two paragraphs like two different posts.

Silent Hill 5 coming to Revolution! (Not true, false rumor!) - Dark Jaguar - 26th January 2006

I'm not saying it wouldn't be interesting. I would even to as far as to say it's reasonable some people at Konami have or are currently considering an idea in the wake of RE Outbreak (which played in a similar fasion, only you always worked with them, only against in the sense of being picky about what resources to give up (and once when zombies were attacking I boarded up a hallway even though there was someone on the other side trying to get there in time, because you see there simply wasn't any time, and well, there were 3 of us and.... the needs of the many outweigh the needs of the one! I don't have to *explitive* defend myself here!)). However, I have no reason to believe they actually did make that decision. I only have reason to HOPE they did. To that end, with no reason to believe they made that decision, but with a desire for them to do so, what is it we do? I suggest simply e-mailing Konami saying you would like that idea. There is a greater possibility of that game being made due to some actual action on our parts (though it is still slim) than us just wanting it to be so and convincing ourselves they "have" to be making it.

Silent Hill 5 coming to Revolution! (Not true, false rumor!) - lazyfatbum - 28th January 2006

You dont understand.

1.) The Rev is online out of the box, all Konami would have to do to is say pretty please and they could use Nintendo's network. Nintendo, as per usual, will probably push their capabilities on to Konami, trying to get them to include wifi play. It's a fair bet that almost every game released on Rev will be online in some form just because it's easy to do and it adds a selling point but also because Nintendo will be pushing it.

2.) Putting SH online wouldn't take that much work, especially if it's just a co-op feature or if each player starts in a completely different area of town and the goal is to find eachother and then work as a team to finish the area as per the same one player goals with more/harder enemies. Even throwing in the kind of Code Veronica FPS or RE4's Mercs style gameplay would take just a few weeks to code.

A.) When rumor goes nuts and millions of people start wanting the same thing that tells a company "Hey you can money here stupid." so at the VERY LEAST Konami is taking the events to heart and will be considering the possibilities. No company would ignore the chance at having a demographic before you even release a product, they could even port SH5 just to test the theory and see how it does in the Nintendo field. But the point is, it's now on their radar (SH team, Konami marketing, PR) when before it probably wasn't even considered. Now that they know the interest and market is there and ready, exploiting it would be priority one.

Has there be any official word from Konami over this whole thing?

Silent Hill 5 coming to Revolution! (Not true, false rumor!) - Weltall - 28th January 2006

Silent Hill is such an insular experience, though. There's never more than six or seven people in any given story. How faithful could an online experience be?

Silent Hill 5 coming to Revolution! (Not true, false rumor!) - Dark Jaguar - 28th January 2006

Pretty faithful I think. Have you played the RE Outbreak games? What lazy is describing is pretty close to that (including a few levles where you do start out seperated and have to find each other to complete the level).

But that game really is designed around the multiplayer. I'm not saying Konami couldn't do it. I'm saying until Konami says otherwise, I don't have reason to think they are actually doing this.

Silent Hill 5 coming to Revolution! (Not true, false rumor!) - lazyfatbum - 29th January 2006

Rtan/ The multiplayer could even part of the story, you dont have to play as the 'good guys' either. For example you could be as members of the cult who came to silent hill in the early 1980's to prep the birth of god. Each member works in a team to find certain artifacts that Alessa hid while you fight off the monsters. When you accomplish all the goals and succeed in the entire campaign (multiple areas of Silent hill like in the one player) the cult sacrifices themselves to god. :D

Imagine this set up, at the Bell View Mental Hospital there's a group of people who used to belong to a kind of Helter Skelter group who's leader was killed, this group is responsible for the deaths of over 40 people, including children. The group, while in the hospital try to start a fire to escape. The attempt fails, but now that the hospital is damaged it's decided to get the patients in to a larger facility. It's 1990 right now, members of the group were anywhere between 13 and late 30's during the murders of the cult and it's about 10 years since. During the bus ride of the patient relocation the 20 or so members start a riot, choking the bus driver and killing the guards, taking their weapons of course. The bus hits a ditch and rolls in to a lake. Most of the patients survive, the more unstable of them run off while others (probably still drugged) float in the water.

They dont know it, but they're in the middle of Silent Hill. Some of the members investigate the area, finding no one and having this sense of their leader, as if he's here in this town. Some even claim to hear his voice. In the silence, they hear a group of people screaming in the distance coming from the town. This is where you begin.

- All monsters from every SH game including bosses

- Silent Hill areas from SH1 and 2 and portals large enough for 3 members at a time to enter that take them to locations in SH3 and 4

- Main motivation behind SH's interest in the people is that they will make the perfect shells for its memories. These people will become the various monsters of SH, their 'souls' will become part of Silent Hill.

- If you have been 'cursed' in to a memory, you can play as the monster to attack the human players. What monster you become depends on your stats, accomplishments, etc.

- Depending on how the game is set up, each player can decide if they want to follow the main group, make their own smaller group, or be a loner (you can join up or go it alone during gameplay as well) by way of voting before the game begins. Multiple groups will be in competition with each other, so if the first objective is to unlock a door in a house whichever group finds the key removes it from that space. The key will then reapear at another location for other groups to find unless you want to force the other group in to giving up their key, such as taking one of their group members hostage (who will then become a 'slave' in your group).

- If you get slave status, for example a loner that is forced in to joining the group, all of his items and accomplishments become a part of the group who is taking him hostage, boosting their stats. A slave can run away, but the stats for that group will remain. "Catch and release" is a major way to boost a group's stats as well as slave trading. If at any time a member of a group kills a person who has slave status, the responsible group will lose stats, accomplishments, items, etc. While in slave status, you take twice as much damage, but your weapons inflict twice as much damage.

Hmm... i just woke up so i'll think of more later

Silent Hill 5 coming to Revolution! (Not true, false rumor!) - Undertow - 29th January 2006

I hope they eventually release it for the PS3 and XBOX360, because I sure as hell won't be getting a nintendo revolution unless something drastic happens. The gamecube was a huge waste of money, in my opinion.

Plus- you know- the series was originally and has always been released for the playstation, which is where the fanbase for the series is. When I think nintendo I don't think hideous monsters and bloody twisting, mind altering realities.

Silent Hill 5 coming to Revolution! (Not true, false rumor!) - lazyfatbum - 29th January 2006

Yeah I dont think of Eternal Darkness either.

You fail at comprehension.

Silent Hill 5 coming to Revolution! (Not true, false rumor!) - Weltall - 29th January 2006

Those were some rather elaborate ideas, but the whole idea of grouping is alien to Silent Hill.

If Silent Hill were to have multiplayer, it would work in the way SH2 did, where you had four different people doing their own thing and encountering each other every once in awhile.

The other thing about multiplayer for SH that makes me pause is that Silent Hill has always placed a greater emphasis on storytelling than on gameplay. This isn't to say multiplayer can't co-exist with a good, coherent story, but it would be more difficult.

You're saying that the SH team cant blend a good campaign-group style multiplayer game with a good story to motivate the actions?

I think it would be awesome to fall in to a group of insane murderers who have been drawn to Silent Hill as if subconsciously called there, each one with their own character, reasons, etc - each one adding to the throwback of SH's (the actual town) system.

What's wrong with adding a different structure to the series for purposes of adding online multiplayer? You could function as a loner if you want, but you'd be at the mercy of groups patroling the town.

Silent Hill 5 coming to Revolution! (Not true, false rumor!) - Weltall - 29th January 2006

It's not that I don't think they can do it, I'm sure they could. However, one of the most prevalent themes of Silent Hill is isolation. You can't get that when you have roving bands of murderers ganging around town. Note too that murder isn't what brings a person into Silent Hill... Eddie shot a dog, and Laura didn't kill anyone. It seems to me that it isn't guilt that draws a person to Silent Hill, but rather any emotion, or a mix of them, that is overwhelmingly strong in a person. Each SH2 character, for instance, has a different mix:

James: Longing and guilt. He misses his wife, though he handled her illness poorly and then, of course...

Eddie: Fear and anger. He has a grudge against those who he feels wronged him. He carries out a sort of vengeance, but it goes wrong, and he runs away in fear of the authorities.

Angela: Guilt and self-pity. She is overwhelmed by what her father did to her, and is then overwhelmed again when she does something about it.

Laura: Longing. She's in town because she misses her best friend.

Anyway, like I said, a muliplayer SH would work with a small group of people that act mostly independent of each other. Having people travel in groups would just seem totally out of place. Only once, in one of the end scenes of Silent Hill 1, do you ever see more than three characters onscreen at once.

Silent Hill 5 coming to Revolution! (Not true, false rumor!) - Undertow - 29th January 2006

lazyfatbum Wrote:Yeah I dont think of Eternal Darkness either.

You fail at comprehension.

Okay.

And your idea of a multiplayer function would be pretty crappy since people would break the immersion and tone of the game, which is about 90% of what the series is all about. Then it would break the other 10% because developing a story would take more than hour long sessions with random strangers. And, it's just not practical because it would have to be paced differently/ take into account that not all the characters in the story will be used every session.

Silent Hill 5 coming to Revolution! (Not true, false rumor!) - A Black Falcon - 29th January 2006

The GC doesn't have as many horror games because they made some, and people didn't buy them. Simple as that.

A Black Falcon Wrote:The GC doesn't have as many horror games because they made some, and people didn't buy them. Simple as that.

Which makes sense, considering how the console is marketed.

Silent Hill 5 coming to Revolution! (Not true, false rumor!) - Great Rumbler - 29th January 2006

The Gamecube had Resident Evil 0, REmake, Resident Evil 2, 3, Code Veronica, and 4. And Eternal Darkness.

Silent Hill 5 coming to Revolution! (Not true, false rumor!) - A Black Falcon - 29th January 2006

I think it's got a lot more to do with people such as yours predisposed biases... Nintendo doesn't have games for adults, even when they do, so why even look? The adult games don't exist... Eternal Darkness, Metroid Prime 1 and 2, Resident Evil Remake, 0, and 4... what are those? Nothing, obviously... Rolleyes

Despite sales though, the complaints of people like you just aren't accurate. GC has a great game selection with lots of great games in every genre. Quality counts for something, and the GC's got it... no, it's a great console, with a very good game lineup. People who try to say "it's for children only" have to make two leaps that have no foundation: First, to ignore all the games that aren't for children on the Cube, and second, to ignore the fact that Nintendo truly does design its games for everyone. Western gamers don't quite understand this concept, as I think it's partially a cultural thing, but in Japan there is much less of an issue in an adult playing something that looks like it was designed for a child, yet wasn't really... translating this to broad market success in the West is harder. And thus "Nintendo is kiddy" despite the fact that Nintendo truly is thinking of "everyone". Okay, some games are more aimed at a younger market than others, but even those aren't designed JUST for kids like some games are... everything has some degree of broad-market interest in it.

Of course, some Nintendo games are more aimed at one market than others; Nintendogs, Animal Crossing DS, and Brain Training (3 now in Japan), for instance, now make up five of the top 10 games each week in Japan... the kind of list I'd have expected from a US PC list: dominated by 'casual' games for nongamers or limited gamers. Those markets had never been interested in console games, but Nintendo has tapped into it... what does it mean for hardcore gamers? I'm not sure. It means more consoles on the streets (DS especially), but not all of those people are buying the games hardcore gamers like the most... still though, Nintendo has a stated focus to continue to try to attract both hardcore and casual gamers, and they do seem to be doing that. They weren't winning just sticking with the market as it was, so moving more strongly into adult casual games makes sense... I just wish that it would lead to more great games for hardcore gamers. :) The DS looks like a great console, but I have no interest in Nintendogs or Animal Crossing, so the list of released games that I really want really isn't that long... Yoshi Touch n Go, Kirby Canvass Curse, Nanostray, Mario Kart DS, Advance Wars DS... that's about it really... (possibly feel the magic or warioware touched, but those are lesser)

Anyway though, that has nothing to do with the Gamecube. :) GC isa great console, very good lineup... I don't know why people complain about it. Sure, the total number of games is less than PS2 or Xbox, but in each genre the GC has some great, must-own exclusives, so where's the problem? I don't see one.

As for Revolution, I expect a cross between the GC and DS strategies -- plenty of games for hardcore Nintendo fans, like Gamecube (though hopefully they will satisfy people more than the contraversial Mario Sunshine and Wind Waker did, for Nintendo's sake), as well as the casual-interest stuff aimed at expanding the market, like the DS has... it can work. It should work. It would in the end probably be good for gaming to expand the market. The only question is, can Nintendo do it... I think a lot rests on their marketing campaign and launch lineup, so we'll see...

Yes, it did. I'm not saying it doesn't have M rated horror games, but that the game system is <i>primarily</i> marketed towards a certain demograph (kids) and the only thing that RE games being on the system proves is that they're also trying to cater to the occasional adult. The playstation and xbox have always aimed more for the 20-35 year old demograph, hence their major lineup of heavy hiitting M rated games (splinter cell, halo, metal gear, grand theft auto).

I'm also a little dissapointed that they're putting SH5, a sequel to a series that traditionally has always been on the playstation (some of the sequels being ported, not exclusivly, to the xbox) soley for the nintendo revolution... a console that I'm not going to buy.

Quote:people like you just aren't accurate

People like me? People that...own a gamecube and really like to play games such as the mario series and animal crossing? HOW DO YOU KNOW ME SO WELL?!?!

I own a gamecube, and I enjoy some of the exclusive games on it- but once I realized that waiting for games to come out for it was like waiting for Chinese Democracy (hyperbole, people) I realized I made a huge fucking waste of money.

I regret buying a gamecube, but I never regretted buying the nintendo 64, just a little factoid I feel like adding. I don't have a problem playing games that are deemed for "kids" if they're good, but as I think I've said quite a few times...and which bears repeating...I personally think that I could of used the $150 I paid for the gamecube in a better way. Like throwing the money in a woodchipper.

Silent Hill 5 coming to Revolution! (Not true, false rumor!) - Great Rumbler - 29th January 2006

Since it was going in that direction anyway, we might as well pull hard to the right.

This generation:

1. PS2 - Let's face it, the PS2 had the lion's share of developers [the good ones] and they pumped out hit after hit with a few modern classics coming from Sony itself. Notables: Katamari Damacy, ICO, Shadow of the Colossus, Metal Gear Solid 2 and 3, Grand Theft Auto series, Disgaea: Hour of Darkness, Radiata Stories, Twisted Metal Black, Final Fantasy X, Dragon Quest VII, Devil May Cry, God of War, Gran Turismo 3, Silent Hill series, and Breath of Fire: Dragon Quarter.

2. Gamecube - Despite how much I like Nintendo, and it's quite a bit, the Gamecube had a lot of dry spells and some of the iterations of the classic series just couldn't match their N64 counterparts, but it did have it's share of hits and they were good, so it comes it at a close second. Notables: Super Smash Brother Melee, Pikmin 2, Metroid Prime 1 and 2, Eternal Darkness, Super Mario Sunshine, Wind Waker, Paper Mario 2, Super Monkey Ball, Resident Evil 4, Viewtiful Joe, Star Wars Rogue Squadron 2, Luigi's Mansion, Animal Crossing, Mario Kart Double Dash, Ikaruga, F-Zero GX, Tales of Symphonia, and Baten Kaitos.

3. Xbox - A lot of the most highly acclaimed titles fell flat for me. I got burned on Halo 1 and Fable and I never played much of Halo 2 because it looked like more of the same. But enough about that, it did have a few hits and they were fun while they lasted but, for me, there just wasn't much to keep me interested. The game I played the most on the Xbox was San Andreas and that's a port of a PS2 game. Notables: Halo 1 and 2, KOTOR 1 and 2, Jade Empire, and Fable.

Multiplatform notables: Psychonauts, San Andreas, Burnout series, Killer 7, Timesplitters 2, and Beyond Good and Evil.

Quote:I'm also a little dissapointed that they're putting SH5, a sequel to a series that traditionally has always been on the playstation (some of the sequels being ported, not exclusivly, to the xbox) soley for the nintendo revolution... a console that I'm not going to buy.

It's not happening. The whole thing was a joke on some Spanish website.

Great Rumbler Wrote:It's not happening. The whole thing was a joke on some Spanish website.

Haha, okay. I missed that. Thanks.

Quote:People like me? People that...own a gamecube and really like to play games such as the mario series and animal crossing? HOW DO YOU KNOW ME SO WELL?!?!

Going by this, which sounds like a sentiment I've heard many times before...

Quote:I hope they eventually release it for the PS3 and XBOX360, because I sure as hell won't be getting a nintendo revolution unless something drastic happens. The gamecube was a huge waste of money, in my opinion.

Quote:Yes, it did. I'm not saying it doesn't have M rated horror games, but that the game system is primarily marketed towards a certain demograph (kids) and the only thing that RE games being on the system proves is that they're also trying to cater to the occasional adult. The playstation and xbox have always aimed more for the 20-35 year old demograph, hence their major lineup of heavy hiitting M rated games (splinter cell, halo, metal gear, grand theft auto).

You're right, Gamecube is not aimed at ages 20-35. Their goal is more like 6-90... though the DS comes a lot closer to that goal than GC, which is mainly younger gamers (Animal Crossing possibly excepted...). Yes, Nintendo has always made a strong effort to appeal to children, but the point is that the goal is not to appeal JUST to children... maybe it was their main goal once (NES?), but it isn't now and hasn't been for a long time. They make games appealing to children, but try to make sure that those SAME games are also appealing to adults... they aren't just simple children's games, they are games with depth. As I said, it's just easier for the Japanese market to accept this fact than it is in Western ones, so Nintendo does much better there (makes sense, with a whole strategy designed around appealing to the Japanese consumer...). Revolution is aiming at both keeping the Nintendo fans and expanding Nintendo's casual gamer marketshare dramatically (DS is doing this, I mean on the home consoles too)... my main concern really (if you could tell from my above post, it might not be clear) is game quantity -- Nintendo has a hard time making enough games to satisfy people as it is. As they increase the number of games aimed at less casual gamers, does that mean fewer for the hardcore? I hope not... we'll see.

Quote:I regret buying a gamecube, but I never regretted buying the nintendo 64, just a little factoid I feel like adding. I don't have a problem playing games that are deemed for "kids" if they're good, but as I think I've said quite a few times...and which bears repeating...I personally think that I could of used the $150 I paid for the gamecube in a better way. Like throwing the money in a woodchipper.

You're sounding more like Stealth all the time... :)

Quote:2. Gamecube - Despite how much I like Nintendo, and it's quite a bit, the Gamecube had a lot of dry spells and some of the iterations of the classic series just couldn't match their N64 counterparts, but it did have it's share of hits and they were good, so it comes it at a close second. Notables: Super Smash Brother Melee, Pikmin 2, Metroid Prime 1 and 2, Eternal Darkness, Super Mario Sunshine, Wind Waker, Paper Mario 2, Super Monkey Ball, Resident Evil 4, Viewtiful Joe, Star Wars Rogue Squadron 2, Luigi's Mansion, Animal Crossing, Mario Kart Double Dash, Ikaruga, F-Zero GX, Tales of Symphonia, and Baten Kaitos.

Fire Emblem: Path of Radiance is better than most of the games in that list. :) ... I know, I'm a big fan... isn't that expected? I'm a strategy game fan... I'd questioned that a bit, as I haven't been absorbed by a new PC strategy game in some time (though having a computer too old to play half of the recent ones sure doesn't help!), but Fire Emblem reaffirmed that for sure. I own all three released here, and they're spectacular. I find FE:PoR a much more interesting game than, say, Baten Kaitos... got that one, it's kind of dull really... standard console-RPG stuff that I've often found to be of limited interest... decent game, but no competition for (in order of quality) Skies of Arcadia: Legends, Tales of Symphonia, or Paper Mario: The Thousand Year Door. Or Lost Kingdoms, for that matter... though that's getting into action-adventure-RPGs, which draws in (in order again, but all are good) Gauntlet: Dark Legacy, Zelda: Four Swords Adventure, Final Fantasy: Crystal Chronicles, Baldur's Gate: Dark Alliance, and so I'm not sure how much it counts...

Anyway, GC is weak in some areas, of course. In most genres there are a few great titles, but not a lot after that... I know, PS2 has lots more great games. But the GC has far more than enough great exclusives to make it well worth owning. I spent $225 for mine (not counting memory card or games), and don't regret one cent of that...

Xbox

Xbox has one thing I wish the GC had many more of, arcade ports or arcade-style games... PS2 has a lot too, but Xbox has just as many I think, and some PS2 doesn't have. Guilty Gear X (also PS2), SNK vs Capcom, online Capcom vs SNK 2, Samurai Shodown 5, KOF 2002/2003 (also PS2), Metal Slug 3, Metal Slug 4&5 (also PS2), Panzer Dragoon Orta, OutRun 2, Dead or Alive 3/Ultimate, etc... some of the other big titles I can get for PC (KotOR 1/2 for instance; Fable, Psychonauts, Halo, BG&E, etc. also are on PC (though no one should get the BG&E PC version...)), but not stuff like that...

Still though, GC here has SOME stuff... CvS2 offline, Soul Calibur 2, Ikaruga, Chaos Field, Viewtiful Joe, P.N.03, Alien Hominid... as usual, enough to keep you busy. Just not enough to keep you fully satisfied without one of the other consoles.

Silent Hill 5 coming to Revolution! (Not true, false rumor!) - lazyfatbum - 30th January 2006

Alright, so multiplayer is simply not possible in Silent Hill at all. That's a bullshiot statement, but no one's going to see my point of view.

Undertow you're an ass, go find a priest.

Silent Hill 5 coming to Revolution! (Not true, false rumor!) - Dark Jaguar - 30th January 2006

Hey I agree it could be done, and really I don't see how it would need to be all that different than the REOutbreak games. Those are MMOs, they are basically 4 swords done online, and the players can easily split up at any time.

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=7084489538066105747&q=eviltrailmix

Silent Hill 5 coming to Revolution! (Not true, false rumor!) - Weltall - 30th January 2006

I do see your point, I just disagree with it. I'm not in argument with the concept of Silent Hill having multiplayer, certainly the aesthetics don't preclude it. However, I do think that the intensely personal nature of each game would make such a thing so far out of the norm for the series that there would be a backlash. All four games have been very reliant on isolation to induce a sense of fear in the player. Many series fans backlashed against Silent Hill 4 for its many changes, and the chacging of such vital elements of the past, like the flashlight and the radio, the invincible ghosts, and the new, very limited storage space. I like SH4 because the storyline overcame the physical weaknesses, but the game itself was nowhere near as good as the previous 3.

Silent Hill 5 coming to Revolution! (Not true, false rumor!) - lazyfatbum - 30th January 2006

In my scenario, I was assuming the radio dynamic would be there as well as flashlights and the like.

We can agree that most SH fans would be interested in playing the game online with some type of multiplayer.

But the thing is you need to think forward a few steps; If SH was online and you gave people the chance to run around SH with atleast 3 other people (even if you started virtually miles from eachother), they're going to form groups or rival gangs. The idea of safety in numbers will prevail and at which point you enter the traps and monsters that are specific for attacking groups while a loner would find it easier to escape such threats. Balance would be the key as to what pros and cons you want the pkayer to weigh before he makes a decision.

I understand that every SH follows a story formula and you're right, isolation (as in Horror 101) plays a key part. But as far as stories go, I can spout of hundreds of films where a group of people is out in the country/abandoned city/tropical rainforest etc and have to survive the terrors of something icky. If you applied yourself in to think about playing the game in a group of online people, all the rash, bad decisions the so-called leaders would make, the monsters that specifically attack groups or even other dynamics such as the larger your official group is, the less health drinks and ammo you find, forcing them to ration it out.

It actually woould play exactly like SH2 or 3. you would start out alone, have to work your way through mind-fuck puzzles and find some items and weapons as you eventually find your way to the middle of the city at which point you find some notes. 'To Join Wutang Clan be here at 8 PM SH Time, you can only join if you have 10 health drinks" or notes that say 'Loner looking to form group, no requirements" as if it's a bulletin board for job listings, yunno? Then it's up to you if you want to join or not BUT if you continue forward after finding the middle of the city (the online hub) you might be a target for players who just want to steal your items by killing you and causing you to start with an empty inventory. You might in the middle of a fetch quest for a large puzzle and as you run down Crichton Blvd you find yourself face to face with a group of around 10 people who are all low on ammo and health drinks.

Imagine that you try to run by them and you hear gunshots, you think you're about to be raped and that's when the ground opens up and reveals a creature very akin to Tremors who heard the gunshots. The group immediately takes damage, some of them killed in the process who were already at low health. Now what do you do? You can avoid this creature, but if you kill it , you can claim some of the items dropped by the dead and boost your stats by killing the Tremor-monster. The group who all ran in seperate directions is thinking the same thing. Panic, rabid insanity, split-second decisions that will determine the rest of the game and survival mix together to create a shit storm that every SH fan would love.

It would be extremely nerve racking because anytime you put groups of people in to isolation it becomes Lord of the Flies real quick. I think if you use your imagination a little you'll agree that not only would it fit the series perfectly but it would allow for online gameplay with dozens of people.

Silent Hill 5 coming to Revolution! (Not true, false rumor!) - Undertow - 30th January 2006

Quote:but try to make sure that those SAME games are also appealing to adults... they aren't just simple children's games, they are games with depth.

Oh, they definatly are. They're fun, too, for sure- I just wish they'd make more.

Quote:Revolution is aiming at both keeping the Nintendo fans and expanding Nintendo's casual gamer marketshare dramatically

To be fair, you're right. I should take time to reserve judgement on the Revolution. Which means in turn, I'm going to wait and see if it's more successful than the gamecube was. :)

Quote:You're sounding more like Stealth all the time... :)

Don't remember him.

Quote:Baldur's Gate: Dark Alliance

I wish they never moved this series to the consoles, since they ended up making a completely different game than its predecessors. Oh well.

Quote:Undertow you're an ass, go find a priest.

Let's not fight. :love:

Silent Hill 5 coming to Revolution! (Not true, false rumor!) - A Black Falcon - 30th January 2006

Quote:To be fair, you're right. I should take time to reserve judgement on the Revolution. Which means in turn, I'm going to wait and see if it's more successful than the gamecube was.

More accurately would have been "causal gamer and nongamer", but close enough. As for what the Revolution's standard for success should be, Nintendo's stated goal is to surpass the GC, which would be a good thing... despite its solid lineup no one could say that the GC did as well in the market as the N64 did, and Nintendo has sold fewer consoles with each generation... SNES less than NES, N64 less than SNES, GC less than N64... they need to turn that around, and they know it. We'll see if this is the right strategy to do it... though yes, the biggest question for the hardcore gamer should definitely be "Will there be enough games that I will be interested in?" And it's a good question, and we don't know the answer yet. Well, the download-service provides part of an answer for sure, as does GC disc compatibility, but I (and you I'm sure) mean new, Revolution-exclusive titles, not that stuff, as nice as it is...

Quote:Oh, they definatly are. They're fun, too, for sure- I just wish they'd make more.

At least you recognize this...

Quote:Don't remember him.

Kind of like OB1, but even more juvenile... :) He doesn't come here anymore, but likes to spend a lot of time on MSN bashing Nintendo and its current policies/games...

Quote:I wish they never moved this series to the consoles, since they ended up making a completely different game than its predecessors. Oh well.

Yeah, calling it "Baldur's Gate" was a clear marketing ploy, because it's not BG. Baldur's Gate is a great PC strategic RPG series. Dark Alliance is a hack-and-slash Diablo/Gauntlet style series. Nothing in common, and DA is clearly worse than the PC series... I don't regret buying BGDA, as it was fun, but it certainly isn't a genre-defining epic like Baldur's Gate. It's not even in the same league. It's just a fun little action game. Kind of like Gauntlet: Legends or Gauntlet: Dark Legacy, but not as good... oh well, it was decent. Solid work in its simple way... but it definitely was somewhat deceptive to put the "Baldur's Gate" name on it. Makes you think it might be a lot more than it is.