Tendo City
Tendocity entry at Wikipedia - Printable Version

+- Tendo City (https://www.tendocity.net)
+-- Forum: Tendo City: Metropolitan District (https://www.tendocity.net/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+--- Forum: Ramble City (https://www.tendocity.net/forumdisplay.php?fid=44)
+--- Thread: Tendocity entry at Wikipedia (/showthread.php?tid=3473)

Tendocity entry at Wikipedia - Great Rumbler - 23rd January 2006

EdenMaster and I came up with idea to create an in-depth and humorous accounts of the rise and fall of Tendocity, it's insanity, and it's colorful characters! Post everything funny or cool you can think of here and maybe one of us will compile it!

Tendocity entry at Wikipedia - EdenMaster - 23rd January 2006

Who knows if Wikipedia will allow it, but we've had enough history, enough colorful members, fads, and controversies to be made into an article that nobody will ever look at!

We could also provide the link to newbies who come here to bring them up to date with our bizarre little community!

Tendocity entry at Wikipedia - Dark Jaguar - 23rd January 2006

So basically this is Penny Arcade's Wizbits, only this will actually have a partial basis in reality?

I'm all for it, but remember that wikipedia IS an encyclopedia first and foremost. We'll see what happens.

http://www.dhmo.org/

Just send me the link after creation.

Dihydrogen Monoxide, huh? Yeah, that stuff is everywhere.

I know! I hear it's so pervasive every single living creature on the planet now has trace amounts of it!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tendo_City

Okay I started an extremely bare bones entry. Edit it with a much fuller accurate history, then feel free to sprinkle it with links to "the uber pages", full of complete nonsensical crazy go nuts LEGENDS of Tendo, including bios of the posters there.

Tendocity entry at Wikipedia - Weltall - 23rd January 2006

It's already been deleted.

They don't play soft, do they?

Perhaps they need a full entry. Every website and person on the Internet probably wants to put a word or two on Wikipedia and they need to filter those out! We have a legitimate history and a stirring tale to tell! Our six voices will NOT be muted!

You try. I'm not despoiling my just-created Wiki account with another try at something they apparently did not want around any longer.

But yeah wow... that was fast. Was that computer oriented or do they actually have that many admins working on the site?

Well, the deletion log cites an actual admin as doing the deleting. A site that size probably needs a lot of admins

Tendocity entry at Wikipedia - lazyfatbum - 24th January 2006

Quote:Hello. First I have to say thank you for wikipedia, it's become my central hub for research and that means volumes to me.

My question concerns the creation of an article about this website: http://www.tcforums.com

Basically, we have around 7 to 8 years of history, mostly comedic but most of it quite personal and even introspective. We are a message board that broke off from a more corporate site and started up on our own. We are now down to about 10 active members and we fear that after all these years, Tendo City may be falling off the map. What we aim to do is create the article (essentially about Nintendo, the company and us being its fans) to preserve Tendo City and help new members catch up on our history as we progress to hopefully gaining said new members.

I dont want it to seem like an ad, obviously you wouldn't want that either. As we are not a corporate site and do not have any income from the site I think you can see that we have good intentions to fill the article with good content about the obscure message board and its cast.

The reason I have sent this email is because one of the members tried to create the article and was subsequently deleted without notification or reason, so we dont know what rules we broke or how to circumvent them. We would very much appreciate the ability to display this article and keep in step with the guidelines of wikipedia.

As with other areas of your site, I would like to see Wikipedia become not just a neo-Babylonian library, but also a central hub for internet musings and oddities. History of cyberspace and what not. We feel that we could be a major part of that history as we are among one of the first major forums of the internet for Nintendo but also that there are many, many forums out there with a tight knit group of people who feel like they own their own little corner of the internet and eventually fall in to obscurity as well. The funny, the weird, the informative and the plain bizzare should be incorporated and Tendo City (with such topics as religion, politics, game design, etc) fits all of these catagories.

If it would be possible to create this article within the guidelines of wiki without it being deleted by administration please let me know. If it is not possible, if you could please, tell us why. Perhaps a happy medium could be met. I'm sure I dont need to explain the centralized mentality of the internet, how it's a 'seperate world' and contains its own vast history, but I would like you to see that Tendo City is a part of that history and, at the very least, will make anyone who had been a part of it be able to catch up on the forum and add their experiences with it.

Thank you for your response,
Sean

Let's see what happens.

Tendocity entry at Wikipedia - Dark Jaguar - 24th January 2006

Hmm, actually e-mailing them. I suppose I should have thought of that...

*fails at initiative*

Tendocity entry at Wikipedia - Great Rumbler - 24th January 2006

I imagine a fully fleshed out article would have a better chance of survival that just a barebones one.

Tendocity entry at Wikipedia - EdenMaster - 24th January 2006

Well done lazy. You're a master of words and you even managed to write out a whole letter without using the word penis once!

Hopefully Wiki will see your point and allow our tale to be heard.

I consider myself to not be completely incompetant with the language...

But anyway, did anyone actually catch a glimpse of what I put down? I will say that it is very likely that it simply wasn't enough. It was a large paragraph of text giving a basic history of the site itself, though I didn't take much time on it.

There's also the simple posibility that it breaks one of the rules. Most likely candidate for a broken rule is simply "patent nonsense". That includes making notes about inconsequential things. For example, just making a "Hi I'm DJ!" page about me-ness when I have NO impact on world events as of yet would be deemed meaningless. I suppose ACTUAL nonsense like "the square circle can exist, even hypothetically" should also qualify. Note that the structure of that quote was meant to resemble that movie in Futurama where that robot says "relax, there aren't any humans here, we can let our guards down, even for a second".

Well, here's the deal. In the meantime, let's just start writing a wiki entry right here. Someone can make a post with a rough draft, and everyone else just run in there and edit that post like crazy. Then, we have something pretty well thought out before this even begins. Yeah, THERE'S something resembling initiative!

Well I'm fairly weak when it comes to history of Rumble City and the ice-9 era, merely because I jumped in just as the dust was settling. from then till now though, I can be a good contributor to the article. I still have a lot of oru goofy pictures, the entire Shiggy collection, and other miscellaneous crap like avatars.

Now then, what should break the artice down into? What would be the topics? Subtopics? How many members would we mention, and who?

Tendocity entry at Wikipedia - A Black Falcon - 24th January 2006

http://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=Special:Log&type=delete&user=&page=Tendo+City&limit=20&offset=0

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:Notability

Perhaps the administrator was not convinced by the short article DJ made, and a more comprehensive one spanning our history may be seen as having more merit.

If Nintendorks can get an entry, we should too!

I'd definitely recommend making a copy of whatever you write on your own system though... but yeah, hopefully. :)

Quote:This page gives some rough guidelines which Wikipedia editors use to decide if any form of web specific-content, being either the content of a website or the specific website itself should have an article on Wikipedia. Web content includes, but is not limited to, web comics, podcasts, blogs, message boards, online magazines and other media, web portals and web hosts. Any content which is distributed solely on the internet is considered, for the purposes of this guideline, as web content.[1]

Many Wikipedians are wholly averse to the use of Wikipedia for advertising, and Wikipedia articles are not advertisements is an official policy of long standing. Advertising is either cleaned up to adhere to the neutral point of view or deleted.[2]

There is also consensus amongst many Wikipedia editors that Wikipedia is not a web directory, in that it is not a site that specializes in linking to other web sites and categorizing those links. Explicitly and by formal policy, Wikipedia is not a mirror or a repository of links, images, or media files. Articles which merely include an external link and a brief description of its contents will also be either cleaned up to adhere to the neutral point of view or deleted.

In the case of such articles being listed for deletion, such a listing occurs at Wikipedia:Articles for deletion, and Wikipedia editors apply the criteria outlined here.

Contents [hide]
1 Criteria for web content
2 Comparisons
3 See also
4 Notes

[edit]
Criteria for web content
Web specific-content[3] is notable if it meets any one of the following criteria:

The content itself has been the subject of multiple non-trivial published works whose source is independent of the site itself.
This criterion excludes:
Media re-prints of press releases and advertising for the content or site.[4]
Trivial coverage, such as newspaper articles that simply report the internet address, the times at which such content is updated or made available, a brief summary of the nature of the content or the publication of internet addresses and site or content descriptions in internet directories or online stores.
This criterion includes reliable published works in all forms, such as newspaper and magazine articles, books, television documentaries, and published reports by consumer watchdog organizations.[5]
The website or content has won a well known and independent award, either from a publication or organisation.[6]
The content is distributed via a site which is both well known and independent of the creators, either through an online newspaper or magazine, an online publisher, or an online broadcaster. [7]
The article itself must provide proofs that its subject meets one of these criteria via inlined links or a "Reference" or "External link" section.

[edit]
Comparisons
In discussions on web-related topics, people frequently refer to the amount of members or search engine hits a site gets. While it is never good to base a decision solely (or even mainly) upon such statistics, the figures below can give a quick indication of orders of magnitude.

The link ABF gave had another link specifically about what constitutes a web site of actual notibility.

After giving it some thought, I am forced to conclude we really shouldn't attempt this. Nintendorks however does. Here is the reasoning. As that specifically states, the site must be well known OUTSIDE the site itself. We are not. They also require evidence of our notibility.

Essentially, we are just a group no one knows about and as such hold no interest to anyone. As a result, there is no reason to have an encyclopedia entry on our site.

However detailed a description we may come up with, we still won't have any meaning to anyone outside ourselves. Wikipedia also is against USING their site to gain said notiblity and thus justify it's existance after the fact. Though, I suppose even though they may put a stop to it, if someone actually is succesful in the endevor, they still would allow it to be posted, begrudgingly.

I think our best bet is to pursue some other avenue. GR's ava-comics give me an idea of a sort. Now, those comics in and of themselves won't attract people, but a comic about the life of "a typical web forum" may actually be untapped ground. I for one have yet to see one like that. I submit we actually create a buzz for our sight by making our main attraction a frickin' web comic. Yes, there are many, but if we try and make a comic more people than ourselves can relate to, that actually is mostly intended to poke fun at the typical behavior one finds in a forum, that could be entertainment gold. And yes, we will also include a lot of in-jokes about the stuff that goes on in our own forum.

How's that for a fresh new idea? I already have some ideas for a few strips we could do.

Some websites have wiki pages though, so it's not like websites can't be 'notable'... maybe we don't meet the qualifications, though. It just can't hurt to try... :D

Quote:I think our best bet is to pursue some other avenue. GR's ava-comics give me an idea of a sort. Now, those comics in and of themselves won't attract people, but a comic about the life of "a typical web forum" may actually be untapped ground. I for one have yet to see one like that. I submit we actually create a buzz for our sight by making our main attraction a frickin' web comic. Yes, there are many, but if we try and make a comic more people than ourselves can relate to, that actually is mostly intended to poke fun at the typical behavior one finds in a forum, that could be entertainment gold. And yes, we will also include a lot of in-jokes about the stuff that goes on in our own forum.

Or just submit it to some webcomics portals (linking sites really), the fact that it's updated so infrequently doesn't matter when plenty of ones on those sites are pretty much dead, I'm sure... :) Maybe that's not really the right approach either as it won't help the FORUM, about Nintendo games, much at all, though... yeah, there just don't seem to be many workable ideas to help this place do there...

Tendocity entry at Wikipedia - Darunia - 26th January 2006

A TC entry at Wikipedia would make me proud.

Tendocity entry at Wikipedia - Great Rumbler - 26th January 2006

Looks like a long shot.

Tendocity entry at Wikipedia - Weltall - 26th January 2006

I wonder if it might help our cause to say that we USED to be notable? :D

Tendocity entry at Wikipedia - Geno - 2nd February 2006

I once added a Wikipedia entry for my username at a popular messageboard (hey, I've stirred up controversy there) but it was deleted within maybe 10 seconds of existance. Those people are fast. (Or they have nothing better to do than to refresh the page all day.)

Tendocity entry at Wikipedia - EdenMaster - 2nd February 2006

Did lazy hear back from them yet?

Tendocity entry at Wikipedia - Dark Jaguar - 2nd February 2006

All I know is that wikipedia uses an unusual image display coding that gets by "image disable" in my browser. Penny Arcade is using that now too. Thing is, Penny Arcade's new page loads slowly, locking up for a few seconds before finally fully displaying. Wiki doesn't seem to suffer from that.