Tendo City
Dungeons & Dragons Online (and Guild Wars: Factions) - Printable Version

+- Tendo City (https://www.tendocity.net)
+-- Forum: Tendo City: Metropolitan District (https://www.tendocity.net/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+--- Forum: Tendo City (https://www.tendocity.net/forumdisplay.php?fid=42)
+--- Thread: Dungeons & Dragons Online (and Guild Wars: Factions) (/showthread.php?tid=3461)

Dungeons & Dragons Online (and Guild Wars: Factions) - Smoke - 17th January 2006

From thursday to saturday there's a DDO preview. If you sign up in the next couple of hours you should get in. When I signed up they gave me an extra key:

DDO Preview Event Key: RMP79E7X9ADRKHM4ZHWPWWKFA

And another.

DDO Preview Event Key: W4W4LMMP3AFR4TA2NMK4ZPAFH

Register here: https://billing.beta.ddo.com/

Dungeons & Dragons Online (and Guild Wars: Factions) - Great Rumbler - 17th January 2006

[Image: 20060113h.jpg]

Dungeons & Dragons Online (and Guild Wars: Factions) - A Black Falcon - 17th January 2006

To compete with Guild Wars' Factions preview this weekend (Friday to Sunday), perhaps?

http://www.guildwars.com/events/pvpffaweekend/default.html

There's an open key there, anyone can join and play the game... so anyone waiting to try this game, this weekend's your chance!

As for DDO, if it runs on my system I'll give it a try... I'm not expecting it to be as great as GW is, though. :)

*checks* Ah well, XP/2000 only. Just GW: Factions this weekend then, I guess... :) (really people, try the game... it's great...)

Dungeons & Dragons Online (and Guild Wars: Factions) - Smoke - 18th January 2006

I'm not really expecting DDO to be great either. I am curious though.

Dungeons & Dragons Online (and Guild Wars: Factions) - A Black Falcon - 18th January 2006

It's clearly not D&D, but it can't be, D&D isn't massively multiplayer. D&D is designed for small groups of people. Not for those people to be cohabitating in a world with thousands of others. And it's designed to be played with a live game master, changing the game as you play, not preprogrammed quests... computer D&D games can be fun, but they aren't D&D. Not even close, not yet... and this is not really any closer. Hopefully it's a decent game anyway, though...

As for GW: Factions... well, if anyone had any interest, I could talk for a while about that one... :) Simply, it's the coming add-on, but it's stand-alone, so you don't need the original product. Two new classes. Existing accounts get one more character slots, new accounts would get the default four I expect. New area, Cantha, with lots of new missions and stuff... somewhat more Asian-themed, I guess. Makes sense, with the existing regions covering the other major types... big article in the latest CGW. Looks awesome, of course. :) One day until the test... I'll probably create a new free account so that I can try the Assassin and Ritualist classes in PvP, because you don't get new character slots for the test and I don't have space for a PvP character in my account... I won't have my skills, but oh well, it'd be a new-class character anyway, so that wouldn't matter...

Dungeons & Dragons Online (and Guild Wars: Factions) - Smoke - 20th January 2006

Wow, I can't believe how much Dungeons & Dragons Online sucks. It's amazing that they were able to create such a shitty game.

Dungeons & Dragons Online (and Guild Wars: Factions) - Great Rumbler - 20th January 2006

Did they forget the dragons? :D

Dungeons & Dragons Online (and Guild Wars: Factions) - A Black Falcon - 20th January 2006

Guild Wars: Factions Free PvP Weekend is going, play that! Now! Such a great game...

Client (60kb, once run it will download the relevant files. Yay to streamability!)
http://www.guildwars.com/downloads/GwSetup.zip

Key
American Players:
888D9-H27PG-NM72D-PLHJ1-2HG11

European Players:
66DG9-C4RHB-9FKD6-287BJ-LRGCJ

As for D&D Online, how exactly is it dissapointing? I'd like to hear more...

Dungeons & Dragons Online (and Guild Wars: Factions) - Smoke - 24th January 2006

It lacks polish. World of Warcraft is incredibly polished. I'll explain it in a way that most people here will understand. It's like going from playing a first party Nintendo game (WoW) to playing some 3rd rate 3rd party game (DDO). While the 3rd party game might be fun you first have to get past the horrible, horrible presentation. Not only is the interface horribly ugly it's unintuitive. Take the focus orb. To basically do anything you have to first click it so it's in your focus orb. Then you can look at it or use it. So I first have to put a weapon in the orb to see what it's stats are. And there's loading screens everywhere. I was surprised that I had to go through a loading screen to go in the tavern. It wasn't that big or detailed of a tavern. There weren't very many characters in it. Why couldn't it just be a part of the map? I don't have to sit and look at a loading bar when I go into a tavern in WoW. I also hate the graphics. It has more technically advanced graphics but that doesn't make up for the horrible, horrible art. One of the first things I noticed was the giant ugly blue arrow over the heads of quest givers. It was way too big. And ugly. They ripped off WoW but couldn't do a good job of it. Also, the characters are ugly as sin. You can pick all your facial features like eyes, nose, mouth. That's nice but the character will look ugly regardless. The worst though is that your hair looks pasted on like it's a wig. Oh and elves just looked wrong. They look like they took humans and just made the model thinner without thinking about proportions.

Finally the game isn't even trying to be a real MMO. It's more akin to Guild Wars where you have a hub and everything else is instanced. Oh but they're still going to charge a monthly fee like an MMO.

If you want an online D&D game get Neverwinter Nights or NWN2 when it comes out. If you want a psuedo-MMO get Guild Wars. If you want an MMO get WoW. There is no good reason for DDO to exist.

Dungeons & Dragons Online (and Guild Wars: Factions) - Dark Jaguar - 24th January 2006

Sad...

Dungeons & Dragons Online (and Guild Wars: Factions) - A Black Falcon - 24th January 2006

Definitely... I know that D&D is not massively multiplayer by design, so making it into such a game is something bound to cause you trouble, but still, they surely could have done better than THIS...

(as for the Elves, D&D 3 elves are kind of odd... shorter than humans, for one... trying to make them different from Tolkein elves clearly (though they have the ears and angular faces)... but I haven't seen screenshots of elves in this game really so I don't know what they did here.)

Really, it does look like the sane thing to do is get Guild Wars and, if you can afford monthly fees, World of Warcraft too, and forget this thing. Which is too bad, because D&D is such a great game... :(

Dungeons & Dragons Online (and Guild Wars: Factions) - Dark Jaguar - 24th January 2006

Shorter than humans isn't Tolkeinian, but it isn't exactly odd either. Might I remind you of Santa's unpaid work force? Before LOTR movies came out, you could count on elves always being portrayed as about a meter in height, max.

Dungeons & Dragons Online (and Guild Wars: Factions) - Smoke - 27th January 2006

What's sad is that if somebody with talent wanted to they could make a great DND MMO. Something similar to WoW but with the D20 system and set in the Forgotten Realms could be an even better game than WoW. Think of all the material they'd have to work with.

Dungeons & Dragons Online (and Guild Wars: Factions) - Dark Jaguar - 27th January 2006

I don't remember any of it. It's.... (wait for it) FORGOTTEN!

Sorry...

Dungeons & Dragons Online (and Guild Wars: Factions) - A Black Falcon - 27th January 2006

Yes, a real D&D MMO, with a full implementation of the D&D rules (and definitely preferably Forgotten Realms) could be one of the best games ever made, easily... it'd be a huge amount of work, but the potential is almost limitless...

Dungeons & Dragons Online (and Guild Wars: Factions) - Smoke - 27th January 2006

Damn it. If only Blizzard were making Dungeons & Dragons Online. :p Instead we get Turbine, makers of Asheron's Call 2 aka Total Shitfest Online.