Tendo City
New Final Fantasy: Crystal Chronicle pics - Printable Version

+- Tendo City (https://www.tendocity.net)
+-- Forum: Tendo City: Metropolitan District (https://www.tendocity.net/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+--- Forum: Tendo City (https://www.tendocity.net/forumdisplay.php?fid=42)
+--- Thread: New Final Fantasy: Crystal Chronicle pics (/showthread.php?tid=345)

New Final Fantasy: Crystal Chronicle pics - Great Rumbler - 25th February 2003

[Image: ffcc_gcn_ss6.jpg]

[Image: ffcc_gcn_ss2.jpg]

[Image: ffcc_gcn_ss10.jpg]

[Image: ffcc_gcn_ss21.jpg]

[Image: ffcc_gcn_ss15.jpg]

Sure its no Star Fox Adventures in the graphics department, but it still looks pretty darn good.

New Final Fantasy: Crystal Chronicle pics - Private Hudson - 25th February 2003

Looks great. You're right, in that it's texture details don't quite match SF:A's though. I would imagine this game will have the superior special effects, though. But that's a minor point.

Anyways, I love the art direction, brings back memories of Final Fantasy XI. :)

Can't wait for this baby Bounce

New Final Fantasy: Crystal Chronicle pics - Private Hudson - 25th February 2003

Just some more loving. Don't know if these are new or old pics.

[Image: ffcc_gcn_ss8.jpg] [Image: ffcc_gcn_ss23.jpg] [Image: ffcc_gcn_ss3.jpg] [Image: ffcc_gcn_ss4.jpg] [Image: ffcc_gcn_ss16.jpg]

New Final Fantasy: Crystal Chronicle pics - OB1 - 25th February 2003

It looks... alright.

New Final Fantasy: Crystal Chronicle pics - Dark Jaguar - 25th February 2003

You mean FFIX don't ya? Yep it sure does look like that super deformed style. Loved it in that game, will love it here. You're also right that it doesn't have exactly stunning graphics. Then again, Star Fox Adventures (probably at least one of the best looking games this gen) wasn't exactlt the best game ever, so that's fine.

I don't think SFA was nearly as bad as some people say it was. It wasn't up to Rare's usually high standards, but it will still good. Better than DK64, that's for sure.

New Final Fantasy: Crystal Chronicle pics - big guy - 25th February 2003

i think this game looks rather good..not great, but by no means bad. i can't see anyone complaining about the graphics anyway. i really want this game, and these screens just make me want it more.

I just hope it'll be good.

New Final Fantasy: Crystal Chronicle pics - big guy - 25th February 2003

it should be...but it just hit me that i don't know how special moves are gained and whatnot. i really hope it has a detailed item/equipment system as well as a level up system. i don't know why it wouldn't unless square decides that the kids who play nintendo can't handle such things...which would infuriate me.

Well that's your opinion. I personally loved DK64, but SFA felt like half a game. I already posted my opinion elsewhere. If you actually care to read it, you will search yourself, otherwise I'm not saying any more.

New Final Fantasy: Crystal Chronicle pics - Dark Lord Neo - 25th February 2003

When I saw the graphics the first thing I thought of was that it looked more like FF Tactics than the recent FF games, but now that you mention it it does look alot like FFIX too, I think it's more of a cross between the two.
But it's an adventure game, therefore I dub it Mystic Quest 2. j/k

Quote:Originally posted by Dark Jaguar
Well that's your opinion. I personally loved DK64, but SFA felt like half a game. I already posted my opinion elsewhere. If you actually care to read it, you will search yourself, otherwise I'm not saying any more.

You loved DK64? Erm

New Final Fantasy: Crystal Chronicle pics - A Black Falcon - 25th February 2003

I loved DK64 too...

Oh, and what kind of gameplay does CC have? Menu-based combat? Actionish combat like the Mana series?

No, Mystic Quest was most assuredly an RPG. The only adventuresk thing going on there was that you could use weapons outside of the turn based battles to chop down trees (that's pretty much it :D). It was jsut the dullest turn based combat I've ever played is all. Music was nice, which is about the only reason to play the game.

As for the combat system, from what I understand yes it is in fact more like Secret of Mana or Kingdom Hearts. For one thing, you get 4 player action with control of the 4 characters, which is straight from Secret of Mana (and I assume it will be just as awesome). If it's got all the lovely combat abilities and such development as Kingdom Hearts, I do believe it will be a lovely game. The last element needed is to make it a grand and of course more open adventure, like every FF before FFX, so we can all take breaks to go on amazing subquests. Those should always make up like 70% of the RPG experience! This could very well be a great gaming experience like SOM if they do this right. I also think they may be coming up with something nice and original about the combat system though.

Oh, and yes I most assuredly did enjoy DK64. Say what you will, but that was a fun game to me. Heck, you yourself (as well as most of TC) were singing it's praises for about a week after it first came out, then suddenly you guys started agreeing with IGN for some reason. It went from "awesome!" to "very fun, but the collecting got a bit annoying" to "great game, but I think BK was better" to you saying that it's actually a bad game. Sheesh, at least before you said "not as good as BK", now you actually think it sucks? But that's all I'll say. I loved it, you didn't. Aspects I actually enjoyed you found annoying. It's a matter of taste.

I guess the same could be said for SFA. I said you should look up my opinion on it, but here's the break down. It had awesome potential, and during it I did enjoy myself during quite a few parts, but in the rest of the parts it all seemed "hollow", and lots of stuff that by all rights should have been in the game were not (they set me up to battle General Scales up to hte point where the combat started, then they just chickened out and didn't even program that battle out, it would have fit in the story with NO editing of anyone's lines). It just felt more like an unfinished product than any game I've played before. I know why of course, they likely just tied it all up and shipped it out the second they heard who owns them, but still it was a bit of a dissappointment. The fun parts of it are still fun in their own right, but overall the package is just lacking. I still would rather have played it than not of course, but I must say this is Rare's worst game I have played. Keep in mind that even as a worst game, Rare did make a fun adventure. It's just not a complete adventure. Had Nintendo been at least smart enough to not sell Rare until they had a chance to really finish it, I'm sure I'd love it a lot more.

DK64 would have been better if it had come out before BK. But when you release a game that has worse level design and more tedious item collecting than the one before it, you know it's going to get a bad reception. I loved DK64 for the first week that I got it, but then I had to force myself to get to the end of the game (although I never beat it). The whole item collecting thing in 3D platformers never really bothered me but after I played through DK64 I couldn't play another platformer for at least another year. I was also very dissapointed with the level design. At first I was all excited because come on, this was a new Rare platformer! But then I went though level after level, and kept on thinking "damn, Treasure Trove Cove is so much better than this". It was like took Banjo-Kazooie, made it slower, added a million more things to collect, and tried the best they could to make the levels more uninspired.

B-K is better than DK64 in every way, IMO.

Hmm, and here I considered TTC to be one of my least favorite levels in BK. My personal fave is actually the last one, Tick Tock Clock or whatever that one is with the seasons. That one rocked.

You didn't like Treasure Trove Cove? What's wrong with you??!

Never said I didn't like it, just that it was one of my least favorite levels. The music was especially catchy though. I gotta wonder how you could hate all of DK64's levels though. Was the ice cave level (whatever that one's name was) not even the least bit cool to you? That's one I especially liked.

New Final Fantasy: Crystal Chronicle pics - OB1 - 26th February 2003

I didn't hate the levels, I just felt that they paled in comparison to B-K's. And are you talking about 'Crystal Caves'? I really didn't like that level.

New Final Fantasy: Crystal Chronicle pics - Dark Jaguar - 26th February 2003

Well talk about your polar opposites then :D.

New Final Fantasy: Crystal Chronicle pics - Private Hudson - 26th February 2003

Quote:like every FF before FFX, so we can all take breaks to go on amazing subquests. Those should always make up like 70% of the RPG experience!

The funny thing is, Final Fantasy X probably has more sidequest action than any of the other Final Fantasy games.

New Final Fantasy: Crystal Chronicle pics - A Black Falcon - 26th February 2003

DK64 did have some annoying levels... I forget their names, though. The ones I liked least and found most annoying were the water level and that 'fantasy forest' one with the worm in the apple and stuff... those levels weren't very good at all... Crystal Caves? It was ok... a fun level. Not as good, IMO, as the 8th level (with the castle) or Angry Aztec, though... the first 2 levels of the game were great, as well as the 8th one. The other three were pretty good, I think.

Oh, and I did like how it was actually possible to get all 201 banannas... in Mario 64 and Rocket: Robot on Wheels I never even tried to get all the stars/tickets because I knew it was so hard and would take so long I'd never, ever get them all... but DK64? I got all but 15 or so without a hint guide, then used one the last few...

Nah, I'd have to disagree. There were many side quests in FFX, but you can only bother doing them RIGHT at the end of the game. It's a shame that the whole game is one massive one-way street the whole way up until the end. Maybe if they allowed as much going on your own during the quest as all the previous games I'd have liked it more. Aside from that (which I consider to be a big issue) it was a pretty good game.

Mario 64 was far easier than DK64, I thought. I also really, really hated having to switch characters non-stop.

Exactly my point really, you hated that but it was one of my favorite things.

I didn't mind switching characters at all... they were similar, but the differences between them gave the game more depth...

It was just so tedious. But if you liked it then more power to you.

More power to me? Yes! Now I can defeat that one boss that was giving me trouble!

*gets arse handed to self*

Hey!

I still don't see how DK64 had such an absurd amount of collecting... I didn't find it so ridiculous and it was easier than what you had to do to get all the stars in Mario 64 entailed...

I agree. You hardly had to gather everything in the game, it was just there to add more once you finished it. It just added more to the game after the fact. Aside from that, the one beef I had was that they didn't tell you how many coins were left to find in the game. I still am not sure if I found all the coins in that game because there's no #/# setup for telling you how many there are total.

ABF, perhaps you should try going through M64 again. Maybe at the time when you first played it it seemed an overwhelming task, but I assume it was the first one you had played. Try again after the fact and I'm sure you will find it easier to obtain all the stars.

Are you kidding me? There was much more collecting crap in DK64 than there was in Mario 64. And then they forced you to play those annoying barrel mini-games in order to get more bananas. I guess the main problem was that they didn't do anything new in DK64. They simply recycled BK and Mario 64, but made it more tedious. There are only a few 3D platformers that I can really enjoy because of the mindless collecting. I really enjoyed Mario 64, Banjo-Kazooie, Banjo-Tooie, and Mario Sunshine. The others are okay, but it's kind of like turn-based RPGs for me where I can only stand so much before it gets really old. So the games have to be insanely fun for me to play them. SMS is a perfect example of that.

Aside from DJ and ABF, what do the rest of you TC'ers think about DK64?

I never got all the stars in Mario 64... I quit after about 80 of them... it was just too much work and too annoying to make me even think of trying to get them all. Same with the tickets in Rocket... I could have gotten a lot more of them if I'd wanted to spend the time, but I didn't think I'd get all of them... and I was getting bored of the game so I stopped playing after getting enough to win.

Tsk tsk tsk.

When I got Mario 64 I couldn't stop playing until I got all 120 stars. When did you first play Mario 64?

New Final Fantasy: Crystal Chronicle pics - Dark Lord Neo - 26th February 2003

I liked the levels in DK64 the first time through, but when I had to go through a second, third and fourth so that every character could get allt he bananas I got annoyed, that's also why I think Banjo-Kazooie was better than Banjo-Tooie

I first played Mario 64 in summer '96 before the n64 came out (a theme park I was at had N64s with Japanese copies of the game...) and then at a friends' house, but I bought the game when I got my n64 in Sept. '99... along with OoT. I played Mario, then Zelda... OoT blew away Mario 64. Its a great game too, but that game was just incredible...

After I beat the game at 78 stars, I had no desire whatsoever to go back and get many more stars... I got 5 or 6 more, but no more than that. The game just was too frusterating...

I agree, neo.

You really thought it was frustrating? Mario 64 is the easiest Mario game I've ever played. They made it especially easy since it was the first 3D platformer ever made.

Mario 64 was hardly the easiest Mario game ever... I'd say Mario Bros., Mario Land 1 and 2, and Mario Bros. DX were all easier than 64...

Or do Game Boy games not count? Rolleyes

New Final Fantasy: Crystal Chronicle pics - Private Hudson - 26th February 2003

Quote:Originally posted by Dark Jaguar
Nah, I'd have to disagree. There were many side quests in FFX, but you can only bother doing them RIGHT at the end of the game. It's a shame that the whole game is one massive one-way street the whole way up until the end. Maybe if they allowed as much going on your own during the quest as all the previous games I'd have liked it more. Aside from that (which I consider to be a big issue) it was a pretty good game.

Still, tt had far more than any other game of the series. Which is all I was saying. :)

And I personally didn't even notice how linear it was. I didn't want to go anywhere else. Just wanted to see what happened next the whole time.

But I guess Square knew how linear the game was, which is why they allowed you to go play Blitzball (which counts as a sidequest, anyhow) at any time you wanted. :)

Quote:Originally posted by A Black Falcon
Mario 64 was hardly the easiest Mario game ever... I'd say Mario Bros., Mario Land 1 and 2, and Mario Bros. DX were all easier than 64...

Or do Game Boy games not count? Rolleyes

Well since the GB games are so much worse than the console ones I really didn't count them (Mario Land 2 is pretty fun though). But I do think that Mario 64 is the easiest Mario game.

'Far worse'? I wouldn't say that... not as good, alright... but saying it that way makes it sound like they aren't great games, which they are...

As for difficulty, um, you haven't played SML1 or 2 recently have you? While they were tough when I was younger (especially SML, which had no saving), play them again... you'll realize how easy they are. SML is beatable in an hour at best... and SML2 can't take more than a few hours if you're decent at the game. Somehow I doubt that SM64 is beatable in such a short amount of time?

And SMB isn't especially hard either... not as tough as SM64, for sure...

I consider Mario Lands 2 & 3 to be good, but not great. And I really didn't like Mario Land very much. But like I said, I wasn't taking into consideration the GB Mario games when I made that comment about Mario 64. But I definitely have an easier time beating Mario 64 than any other Mario game, even though it's the longest of them all. I can play through the entire game without dying nowadays. I can't say the same about any of the other ones. Perhaps it's because over the past few years I've been playing many more 3-D games than 2-D ones, so the 3-D ones are easier for me. It was the same with OoT for me. I've always had a pretty tough time with the 2D Zeldas, but OoT was relatively easy for me to beat the first time through. It's the exact opposite with my older sister since she's more used to 2600, NES, and SNES games. She can easily beat the first (and hardest, I believe) Zelda game, but had a really tough time with OoT.

Super Mario Sunshine though, now that's a tough game.

I'd probably say SML is the easiest one... though because it lets you save SML2 might be easier. It has more levels, though... and the last level of SML2 is pretty tough. I don't know... both, and standard SMB (as it is in SMBDX on GBC) are all pretty easy... though you might die more than you do in SM64, I'm not sure... it all depends, as you said, on how good you are at 2d vs 3d games...