Tendo City
The new Doritos bag design... - Printable Version

+- Tendo City (https://www.tendocity.net)
+-- Forum: Tendo City: Metropolitan District (https://www.tendocity.net/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+--- Forum: Ramble City (https://www.tendocity.net/forumdisplay.php?fid=44)
+--- Thread: The new Doritos bag design... (/showthread.php?tid=3446)

The new Doritos bag design... - A Black Falcon - 10th January 2006

is SO STUPID...

http://www.doritos.com

A better recent redesign would be Stoned Wheat Thins. :)

The new Doritos bag design... - Great Rumbler - 10th January 2006

Do people really care?

The new Doritos bag design... - A Black Falcon - 10th January 2006

If you eat Doritos you might? :)

It has a pulse now! ... so lame...

The new Doritos bag design... - Dark Jaguar - 10th January 2006

Yes it's stupid. So was the old one. So are ALL designs made for food products.

The new Doritos bag design... - Geno - 10th January 2006

Bag redesigns suck. They make you think the store has stopped carrying the product, until you look closely and notice the new design and you're like "Okay, that was pointless." But as long as the product tastes the same, then it's all right with me.

The new Doritos bag design... - Dark Jaguar - 10th January 2006

No, they don't make me think that, they make you think that.

Really, I'd just like them to label their chips "Lord Bethalameu's chedder flavour enhanced tortilla chip food stuffs." in a bland bag with a few gold lines drawn here and there and a doodle of a guy with a monocle.

The new Doritos bag design... - lazyfatbum - 10th January 2006

I'd love to see the Planter's Peanut guy say "Cheese it, my nuts cum in huge cans, and they even put honey on them! I dig that! I dont like the roasting process though.... but dont let that stop you from popping one of my delicious nuts in your mouth! ... whore."

*at the bottom in a very small font*
PLANTER'S PEANUTS ARE NO AFFILIATED WITH CHEESE-IT BRAND SNACK FOODS NOR THE NABISCO CORPORATION AND ITS AFFILIATES I HATE YOU JENNIFER I SLEPT WITH YOUR SISTER TWICE AND THE SECOND TIME WAS JUST TO HURT YOU MORE

*female vocal group*

"Planter's Peanuts, so good and great, they'll make everyday snacking feel like getting laid............. except you're not......... whore."

And then show a montage of still images from the vietnam and korean wars such as children covered in napalm and that one dude who gets shot in the head while circus music plays.

THAT... would make me buy expensive peanuts.

The new Doritos bag design... - Geno - 11th January 2006

Hell, I'd buy anything with a commercial like that! Even an XBox 360, despite that I'm saving for a Revolution! And a trip to England.

The new Doritos bag design... - Great Rumbler - 11th January 2006

Quote:If you eat Doritos you might?

Why?

The new Doritos bag design... - Darunia - 11th January 2006

I dunno, it looks all right.

The new Doritos bag design... - EdenMaster - 11th January 2006

Dorito's are a household name. It's like Coca-Cola. Everyone knows exactly what they're going to get from a bag of Dorito's or a can of Coke, so it's really irrelevant how they package them.

If a product's packaging deters you from buying something you already buy, then...that makes no sense :).

The new Doritos bag design... - Geno - 11th January 2006

Of course I'm not going to stop buying Doritos just because of a bag redesign, I just find it a little annoying that I'd have to rediscover the product altogether when I'm looking for the red bag that I'm so used to seeing and am led to almost believe that the store is out of stock. This happened recently when Keebler changed the design for Chips Deluxe cookies. Once I discovered the product under its new packaging design, however, I continued purchasing and consuming as normal.

The new Doritos bag design... - Dark Jaguar - 11th January 2006

Do you engage in concious thought when in a store or are you essentially on autopilot?

The new Doritos bag design... - EdenMaster - 11th January 2006

Geno Wrote:Of course I'm not going to stop buying Doritos just because of a bag redesign, I just find it a little annoying that I'd have to rediscover the product altogether when I'm looking for the red bag that I'm so used to seeing and am led to almost believe that the store is out of stock. This happened recently when Keebler changed the design for Chips Deluxe cookies. Once I discovered the product under its new packaging design, however, I continued purchasing and consuming as normal.

Doesn't the word DORITO'S in huge letters clue you in? Or the fact that they are most likely in the same place you've always bought them in the past, or perhaps even displayed promininently somewhere to show off the new design?

The new Doritos bag design... - Dark Jaguar - 11th January 2006

Like I was asking, does he think while shopping or does he just buy things on auto?

The new Doritos bag design... - Geno - 12th January 2006

I'm exaggerating the inconvenience of a design change. It took me a split second to figure out what had happened in the case of Chips Deluxe. I was looking for that particular design, and I could see Chips Deluxe, but I figured they were different flavors. (Also note that I was at a different store than where I usually go.) After about 5 seconds, I figured it out, so... yeah. It's not that big a deal. Like I said before, as long as it tastes the same, then no big whoop.

The new Doritos bag design... - Great Rumbler - 12th January 2006

It's a bag of Doritos. You either want it or you don't.

The new Doritos bag design... - lazyfatbum - 12th January 2006

Redesigns keep you on your toes.

It's not done for people who already know and enjoy the product, it's done to catch the eye of new demographics or 'newbies' who are still trying different snack foods looking for a favorite - just as all of us did as kids, looking at the package and trying to judge the quality of the food or candy.

Obviously 'ALBERTSON'S BRAND 'NACHO' CHEESE ARTIFICIALLY FLAVORED TORTILLIA CHIPS' is going to fall in to catagory of ignore while 'Doritos Zesty Nacho %50 more FLAVOR' with wild cheese-inspired colors will make your tongue practically masturbate and the corporations are always looking for ways to make the consumer masturbate.

The new Doritos bag design... - Great Rumbler - 12th January 2006

The Albertson's brand is a lot cheaper though.

The new Doritos bag design... - A Black Falcon - 12th January 2006

Store brands are always cheaper, but often don't taste as good...

The new Doritos bag design... - Dark Jaguar - 12th January 2006

Us eh lazy? I really have to wonder about that... I have it in my mind that most advertising executives are morons selling garbage to companies without the ability to back up their claims. I could be off base here though, as I only have myself to go on. However, I don't care about a bag design. In fact, often I just get sickened by such things.

I suppose in the end there is one and only one target audience for these stupid things: those with an inability to think rationally. Unfortunatly, there are a lot of those people around... How the heck do you look at a snazzy design on a bag and think to yourself "I want to buy this"? As a general rule I don't think any of it looks any good at all, ever.

What sort of evidence do these advertising execs come up with? What sort of "tests" are they performing here? I have a serious problem with rounding up people and demanding they answer some extremely biased form like "which one would you rather buy?" It is biased because it suggests that the design would even influence their decision making. Are they still doing those tests?

The new Doritos bag design... - Geno - 13th January 2006

When marketing to small children, a bag/box design can make a difference. Adults, on the other hand, generally know what they like and couldn't give a rat's ass what the box or bag looks like.

The new Doritos bag design... - lazyfatbum - 13th January 2006

All companies spend millions of dollars in to designing a product label that will grab your attention.

For example next time you're out try to find as many yellow and red signs, insignias, labels, etc as you can. Yellow and red are the two colors that grab people the most and you can find them everywhere. The type of font used, the emotional influence of the product (are you looking to snack or do you want to indulge?) and about a billion other aspects go in to the marketing.

If it's to indulge, you immeadiately find a package with cursive writing, usually darker in color and sometimes with metallic trim. Words like 'Presents' or 'introduces' tells us that it's special. So after seeing the box and the packaging for 'Deluxe Mac and cheese' we get this feeling of it being more special than mac and cheese, so we're willing to pay an extra dollar or two to enjoy the special product.

All human beings think a darker food is richer. The less opaqe or thick the food the less quality it is (which is retarded but we're raised that way). And of course if the package is using a fancy font then it's obviously of a higher calibur, this found everywhere from beer names, wines, restaurants, cars, you name it.

Though the same ideal is put in to fonts that use symbolism. More and more young drivers are supporting the Scion from toyota. If you look at its symbol it uses litteral blades, sharp edges, etc in a nice round shell. Cutting-Edge, Sharp, balanced, self-contained, angst, power, threatening and it litteraly looks like a device, like a weapon or engine. The word Scion itself means "heir" as in royalty, those who inherit empires. But the word phonetically is slick and metallic even industrial with hints of a poetic nature plus it has two syllables which people love.

All of that is purposely designed so that all of those feelings and thoughts hit you subconsciously when you see the symbol of the car so that when you combine its name and symbol with the actual look of the vehicle and its inner working you paint a picture in your head of being that symbol, which is designed specifically to attract younger drivers.

If it's supposed to attract a broad market and not just one particular demo, it would use a font and design that is simple and generalized, subconsciously telling the person that this is for everyone, come on in.

We can even see gender seperation in products that could be enjoyed by both genders but are trying to specifically target females. Soft muted colors, round shapes, elegent font, petite or elongated packaging, etc. if it's for men, hard contrasts, sharp edges, powerful heavy fonts and often times a shape or symbol to help identify it. Corporations know that men are straight and to the point, we want overbearing and have no use for subtlety. Women want anything that makes them feel more feminin and often will buy products just because it has feminin characteristics such as the shape of the packaging resembling the female body and curves but more than anything, they want sophistication, they made the right purchasing choice because they grabbed the more sophisticated product. men feel they made the right choice because they grabbed the more powerful product.

Put a pretty girl on the product and instincts kick in. Man sees pretty girl, wants pretty girl, buys pretty girl, consumes pretty girl, throws pretty girl away because the relationship was shallow anyways.

There's a reason you like Doritos and its not wholly just because of their taste, there's an entire cultural icon in there. There's also a reason why more young people than older eat them.

Million upon millions is spent and even though you think it doesn't effect you it is on many different levels.

The new Doritos bag design... - Dark Jaguar - 13th January 2006

Who cares about the money? Millions is spent on quack medicine each year, but it's still bunk.

All you describe, I checked my memory engrams. I've never saught out such things. I seek out these words: Lemon filled! Cheesy! Fruit flavored! Milk! Vanilla! Italian pasta!

Beyond that, I check the price and get what's cheapest. If it sucks, I spend a little more money next time.

I know it is hard to believe, but some people use their intellect to decide on purchases, not emotional impact.

The new Doritos bag design... - Great Rumbler - 13th January 2006

Any art student will tell you that colors are very important in advertising.

This is relevant because?

haha, keep telling yourself that. :D

If people could litteraly fall outside the influence of these products, we'd all be healthy and have an abundance of money.

if you didn't fall in to the marketing schemes you would eat the same thing every day just as you would feed your cat or dog the same thing everyday with the correct balance of nutrients. All people are entranced in to the marketing schemes whether they like it or not, it's a subconscious reaction. Just like you know that bright colorful bug can and will probably sting you, or that the fully bloomed flowers are the best to look at because they dont hide anything andreveal all their beauty; the clothes you buy, the haircut you got, the way you display your collectibles and old toys, the books you read, tbhe places you go, how and when you have fun, everything you do in human society is dictated by a catagorical marketing scheme. Like it or not, you and I are a catagory and there are specific products made just for our catagory and you and I probably own most of them.

Everything in human society is a business and those businesses want concrete demographics that will always give them sales so they find out what catagories of people there are and how to market directly to them.

You may think you're using intellect but if that were true, you wouldn't even be in the grocery store.

Quote:Who cares about the money? Millions is spent on quack medicine each year, but it's still bunk.

The FDA has become a huge business to be in, you make a drug for anything, get it passed by paying enough money to the boards, and then sell it like old fashioned cure-alls. And you better believe that the colors, shapes and designs are there to attract particular types of people. Male, female, minorities, etc.

It's hard for someone who hasn't been schooled on it to understand how the marketing companies use subconscious imagery to make you want a particular thing more than something else. Go ahead and try to buy all store-brand products like the albertson's brand chips, they wont taste as good even though they're the same thing. You'll think the soda is flatter, you'll think the chocolate is a lower quality, etc. But the products they're emulating are made in the same factories, they are the same product, but use different labels and have no advertizing to consider, no overhead costs. The store purchases X amount of soda from the Coca Cola or Pepsi company and then slaps their own label on it and is able to sell it at a cheaper price and make the same amount of profit.

People will tell you 'Oh but when you buy real Coke, it tastes so much better, has more fizz, etc" and it's simply not true, you just feel cheated because you have no subconscious attachment to it.

If we could seriously step away from the marketing schemes of all the products we buy, we would make our own clothes, furniture, etc. We would build our own cars, our own houses, grow and kill our own food, etc but there are very few people of such intelligence and education who can do those things because society in general is built on th principal of only teaching hwtat they need to know and keep the rest secret. So instead, like sheep we just follow whatever catagory we fit in to best and purchase the things that corporations tell us to through process of elimination.

Like I said, you may think it doesn't effect you but it definitely does every day of your life when you want to buy something. Why do you want something filled with lemons? That sounds horrible, lemons are tart and best used in moderation. Why do you want cow's milk (are you a calf?)? why are you trying to make a pasta dinner, what's the point? Why buy something that says its "fruit flavored" when you could buy real fruit? Do you honestly know what Vanilla tastes like? why would you want something to taste like that particular type of bean? "Because it tastes good". And there's the marketing scheme that you fall directly in to. It doesn't even have to be made of REAL FOOD and as long as you think it tastes good or resembles the taste of real food you'll happily accept it and then wonder why you feel lethargic or get headaches. It's a vast system of percet balance where money is earned and money is spent and the corporations tell us what we should buy. Without it modern society would fall down dead in its tracks.

Actually, I do pretty much eat the same thing every day. Further, I don't feel lethargic, and the feeling of a headache is completely foreign to me.

I also don't drink caffiene.

I understand your frustration but dont try to live outside the box of society; it will just make you bitter. Believe me, i've tried. :D

You've never had a headache? Not even headaches from eye strain or lack of sleep or having too much physical activity?

The new Doritos bag design... - Dark Jaguar - 16th January 2006

That's about right. I've had "eye aches", I've had my skull ache because I hit my head on something. However, I've never had the standard "my brain of me" headache. I don't attribute this to diet though. A large amount of my family suffer from headaches. The symptoms are truly curious (I'm a monster :D), in that they complain that loud noises and even bright lights make it worse. I imagine this extends to the other senses, with strong smells for example also doing the trick... All I can say is I've never experienced that. I don't have enough information to tell you at all what the reason may be.

I will say this. I am sometimes drowsy. My body has energy, that's never been an issue. In fact, if I have time off, I don't get drowsy. It's my fault then. When I have a schedule, I end up staying up too late and thus get really tired the next day. I hate coffee so that's not an option. In general, I don't eat much of anything that has caffiene. The fact that it is likely healthy to avoid it (I understand that after a while the brain gets drowsier when caffiene is taken away, I don't want to depend on it to stay awake) is one thing, but mainly it's just I don't like the things they put caffiene in. I don't like coffee, or tea, or soda as a general rule, and I almost never drink hot cocoa.

I don't really intend to live "outside" society. I intend to MANIPULATE it. :D I'm hardly alone in my need to look at a thing based on logic and evidence rather than flare. I'm not immune to falling for it every now and then (I do have my doubts that something specific like a lightning bolt has a very specific reaction, the old freudian analysis of specific things representing very specific ideas in the head seems pretty much to lack any evidence). Being aware of my own limited mental abilities is important, or else I'd believe every optical illusion I see. However, it isn't some arbitrary thing here. One merely need use critical thinking and one can generally figure out what is and isn't fraudulant or meaningless.

Also, frustration? My previous response wasn't out of frustration. It was cold and clinical if anything.

The new Doritos bag design... - lazyfatbum - 16th January 2006

What your family is describing is a migraine, a chronic disorder that unlike headaches, are a constant pain brought on by stimuli (like light, smells, etc) and can be found physically inside the brain (some studies think it might be genetic, some stay it's simply stress, others say it's a combo). An "eye-strain" ache is a headache, in that the blood vessels and muscles litteraly ache from being overused. In the same sense that "heart burn" is not actually from the heart, a "head ache" has very little to do with the physical brain and more to do with the shallow muscle and veins sometimes, though rare, come deeper rooted veins but is usually classified as a migrain.

Inner-ear and sinus infections can also give you a huge whack to the noggin, symptoms range from problems with balance to passing out and even death. But these types of headaches are unique and 'feel' completely different than a normal headache.

Anyone who reads gets a headaches, for example.

But no, what I was refering to was that these 'fake' foods use chemical combinations to create a particular taste. Inside these chemical combinations are many types of additives that contain small amounts of many negative substances, some make you feel full, some cause mild addiction (or extreme addiction = caffine) and in cases of major products can even cause chemical reaction in the brain to produce good feelings, just as exersize will release endorphins that make you feel better.

In the process of consuming these chemicals your body's natural balance is over-ruled. If you go for these snacks on a regular basis it severely throws it out of whack resulting in odd symptoms even on an emotional level. Other things you might find is that even though you had 8 hours of sleep you're still groggy the next day or you may find yourself becoming irritable at the drop of a hat.

caffine is only one type of alkalide from the Methyl-Xanthine 'family' of which every other milkd stimulant is a part of and more interestingly, are all used in food products (as well as some treatments). So if you're eating corporate engineered food stuffs then you've got yourself a case of bad balance. The scary part is, consuming these things over time can actually retard and mutate human genes.

Most of these 'stimulants' are in reality a poison found in plant life used to kill off insects by attacking the nervous system. So as we "attack" our nervous system with these stimulants, our bodies begin to change to try to survive in the new structure. Scary as all hell, I guess that's why there's no mammals eating cocao plants.

Quote:I don't really intend to live "outside" society. I intend to MANIPULATE it. I'm hardly alone in my need to look at a thing based on logic and evidence rather than flare.

How do you plan to manipulate aspects of society? Also, if you would broaden your sense of what "flare" is, you would realize that in the millions of dollars and years of testing that many corporations are looking for people use intelligence when purchasing. It's a two way street in that sense, you have companies with whom deliver a so-so product that they want the mass market to grab so there is less use of intelligent marketing and it's all about the miracle.Then you have corporations who have a genuinely good product who want to grab the interest of every possible demographic so they use marketing based on intelligence and evidence instead of persuasion and false 'miracle' claims.

Though there are the ultimate decievers, a so-so product who goes to a marketing firm who is known for catering to the intelligent consumer to push their shoddy product, and so we get Hershey's Infectious Desire and Macabre Poetry Bar with 'REAL' Personal Devotion & Understanding of females! etc which is just a dark chocolate bar with more added stimulants and a higher price. Intelligent female demographic is suckered in, money is spent, and Hershey (or whatever western developed corporate-food company) drops the bar moving on to another idea to rape the pockets of particular demographics one state at a time.

Quote:I'm not immune to falling for it every now and then (I do have my doubts that something specific like a lightning bolt has a very specific reaction, the old freudian analysis of specific things representing very specific ideas in the head seems pretty much to lack any evidence).

How do you know you fell for it? was the product bad? or do you mean you purchased something simply because of its packaging or presentation (commercial, etc)? And what do you mean any evidence? to support Freud? That doesn't need evidence as it's already an established fact (from what he and other proposed). The problem now is finding that medium to which all travel, as it is right now we know that everyone takes the image, sound and idea of a lightning bolt and turns in to something emotional or iconic of a thing, but each individual will make their own representation making them unique but not wholly. For example, everyone thinks of a close lightning strike as a fearful moment while all people have different views in to what distant lightning means, some find it beautiful, som find it scary, etc. But as far as our dreams go, in the purely subcon, all living things look at lightning as a powerful force to be respected and feared. It's a built in weather channel.

Quote:Being aware of my own limited mental abilities is important, or else I'd believe every optical illusion I see. However, it isn't some arbitrary thing here. One merely need use critical thinking and one can generally figure out what is and isn't fraudulant or meaningless.

Unless you're being lied to by a very good liar. ie: millions of dollars, years of testing, etc :D

Quote:Also, frustration? My previous response wasn't out of frustration. It was cold and clinical if anything.

Well i'll leave the purposes of that alone. But you have to realize I was speaking in the abstract. Litteraly you admit to projecting a bitter tone which I think is funny after I warned you :D "Actually, I do pretty much eat the same thing every day."

There are no levels to this, you either do or you dont.
And: "Further, I don't feel lethargic, and the feeling of a headache is completely foreign to me." First of all everyone has days of feeling lethargic which is a natural phase of the body trying to rest though I was speaking directly of the chemically induced kind and saying you never had a headache means you're either an infant or retarded and since we know you're neither it just doesn't add up. So my comment of 'dont try' is directly in reference to how you were 'trying' to space yourself from normal human behaviors or symptoms in an effort to distance yourself from societal classes. 'Defending' the response with attributes of a cold and cynical mentallity only furthers that and makes you appear to be 'trying' to be outside the given field of scope (in this case society in general). I did the same thing and it got me nowhere, more than anything I didn't practice what I preached; It was simply too difficult and atleast part of my life had to adhere to the forced pseudo-lifestyle.

If you ever want to BS about dreams get on MSN it's sort of a hobby of mine ever since I first heard about the psychoanalysis of oneiromancy and its uses in film as a subtext. It's fucking awesome to realize why the dream about the sailboat wont go away or the nightmare about the windows of the house being open and having to go close them all by yourself.

The new Doritos bag design... - lazyfatbum - 16th January 2006

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oneiromancy

I FUCKING LOVE WIKI

The new Doritos bag design... - Geno - 2nd February 2006

Today, I bought some Doritos and Chips Deluxe cookies. The package redesigns did not hinder this. (Although the fact that they were on sale and that the Doritos bags had coupons on them helped towards my decision.)

The new Doritos bag design... - A Black Falcon - 2nd February 2006

Well no, it's not so terrible as to get one to stop buying Doritos, but it is enough to make one want to not have to look at the packaging... :)

When I first saw the new bag design I was with my dad, and his reaction was to suggest turning the bag inside-out... so we did. :D

The new Doritos bag design... - Geno - 3rd February 2006

Well, I don't find it that repulsive. It's more new age-looking than the old bags, but... I don't really care either way. As long as it doesn't have freaky looking people on it like those Blue Bell boxes. I was tempted to buy another brand simply because of that, but I just decided to stash the box in my freezer and not look at it. I'll just leave the box open and reach in for an ice cream sandwich whenever I want one without pulling the box out.

The new Doritos bag design... - Ethos - 4th February 2006

<3 Doritos.

The bags are pretty sluttish (and so it their bloody site), but *shrugs?*

Still nummy.

The new Doritos bag design... - Geno - 9th February 2006

Doritos indeed pwn.