Tendo City
Could be fake but worth a read - Printable Version

+- Tendo City (https://www.tendocity.net)
+-- Forum: Tendo City: Metropolitan District (https://www.tendocity.net/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+--- Forum: Tendo City (https://www.tendocity.net/forumdisplay.php?fid=42)
+--- Thread: Could be fake but worth a read (/showthread.php?tid=3445)

Could be fake but worth a read - lazyfatbum - 10th January 2006

Sony developer slams PS3
Here are some very sobering, if not shocking comments about the PlayStation3, made by Sony developer Josh Robinson (formatting is mine):

Well my immediate impression of the PS3 is... where is it? Seriously, where is it? They have a case, a controller and a dev kit. But the system still doesn’t even exist. So what is there to say? We received one of 5 PS3 dev kits in the United States some time ago. Several companies in the US as well as companies over seas were given the daunting task of creating a demo in less than 9 weeks on a first generation dev kit.

Now I’ll be honest with you. What most companies do is fake the entire demo. I mean they come up with some great visuals and neat tricks and scripted events. In the end however, its not a real time demo and its not running ON the actual box. We were the only company to my knowledge that showed something that ran it live on the box. Even then it was a scripted event. You could not pause the camera and fly around the scene.

So much for the ´Killzone 2´ demo, I guess. This must be regarded as proof that all the demos shown at E3 2005 were fake (with the possible exception of ´Unreal´). This qould be a huge blow to Sony´s reputation. Ever since May, there has been speculation about the authenticity of those demos. It now emerges that the console may not even have the power to output graphics of this quality.

Now I’ve spoken with people who are on the technical side of the PS3. I’ve also talked with people on the technical side of the XBOX 360. The consistent comment I am hearing from people on my end is, “The XBOX 360 is better”. They are saying that it is capable of just doing more.

I see Microsoft execs grinning from one ear to another. Sony´s claims that the PS3 boasts two teraflops computational power (apparently twice that of the Xbox360), if true, doesn´t seem to translate into a more powerful gaming machine. At the same time, development costs are truly staggering:

The game that we are creating for a launch title is a “just get it out” title in my opinion. It doesn’t look next generation. I don’t see how anyone could debate otherwise. (...) To be fair, this is a business. Sometimes you have to treat it as a business and not make the best title you can. The best title you can make usually costs 20-40million dollars/3 start overs and 4 years of your life. You just cant do that every time out. Its impossible.

This should end the speculation about just how much the development of a ´AAA´ title (i.e. a blockbuster) will cost on the PS3. At the same time, Josh is highly sceptical that even those games will really look next-gen in the near future. As a result, his closing comments sound quite gloomy.

Where is the box? Where is the final system? When is it coming out? No one knows and in the mean time people in the industry are starting to get just a little salty. I mean I was at e3 2005 and PS3 was almost no where to be seen.

In closing, I started of VERY excited about the PS3. I was very confident that it was going to just destroy the XBOX 360 just on the name SONY alone. The more time that goes by the more I am becoming doubtful. Everything I’ve developed or seen developed has yet to be “next gen”. The poly counts are not really any higher, im not seeing sub surface scattering, im not seeing much HDR lighting. (or they are faking it and not really doing it), I’m not seeing next gen fluid dynamics or object dynamics. I suspect that you’ll be able to have more dynamic objects in a scene than before. But im not seeing games doing this yet. We dont have a controller, there is no network code and there is no box. Its still the size of a normal PC.

I’m confident that the PS3 will have a few “crazy” games that show it off to its potential. But I would expect the full capabilities of the box to not show up until the system has been released PUBLICALLY for over a year. This is the extra time the developers will need with a FINAL system to truly make next gen games.

These comments are truly shocking in my opinion. Especially so, since this developer is employed by Sony. And he really is who he claims to be. His profile can be viewed on Sony Online Entertainment´s Station.com. I have been sceptical of the PlayStation3 becoming another Sony success story all along. But Sony seems to be in even bigger trouble than I thought.

Source: Down in Front
Thanks to: Joystiq

Interesting... if this is true, we're in for one hell of a system's war.

Could be fake but worth a read - Great Rumbler - 10th January 2006

Quote:But I would expect the full capabilities of the box to not show up until the system has been released PUBLICALLY for over a year.

Has this guy really seen the Xbox360?

He sounds more like a disgruntled employee that Sony gave the shaft than anything else.

Could be fake but worth a read - A Black Falcon - 10th January 2006

We've heard more than a few reports that PS3 has problems, though... it's possible.

Could be fake but worth a read - Paco - 10th January 2006

Like alot of people he's probably tired of all the hype. Kutaragi is proclaiming a super console and this guy is just not seeing it. After the hyperbole of information leading up to the PS2, then actually playing a PS2 and owning it for four years now I can say I saw this coming. Don't believe me, just look at my avatar. It's a reminder NOT to get caught up in the hype.

It has been discussed to death that the Xbox 360 is better made for gaming, as that is its purpose. Ken Kutaragi said himself that the PS3 is meant to be more along the lines of a computer entertainment device, and it has been mentioned several times by different sources that it is not as tailor made for games, but that it still handles them well.

Anyone who thought that either the Xbox 360 or PS3 were going to destroy each other just don't have any sense. You can't make a generational jump in technology in terms of consoles in less than a year. The Xbox released a full 18 months after the PS2, and if you ask me there isn't a hell of alot of difference between the two in terms of visuals or gameplay. I'd even go as far to say that the art direction in some PS2 games blow away some of the most techinically advanced Xbox games. Ultimately though, games on all three consoles of this past generation were on par with each other in terms of what this generation of games offered. Seriously, other than a little visual flair do you think there's anything on the Xbox/Gamecube that PS2 can't do?

Could be fake but worth a read - A Black Falcon - 10th January 2006

http://www.theinquirer.net/?article=28879

More about the PS3 not being ready...

Could be fake but worth a read - lazyfatbum - 11th January 2006

When multiple sources claim the same thing, it's time to start worrying. That article also echoes some the things from the one I posted.

Paco/ I wouldn't call the differences between RE4 on PS2 and GC 'slight', nor would I say the XBox version of the latest Burnout game is 'slightly better'. There are major differences but thankfully everyone knows how to work around them in the PS2 hardware, there isn't a single third party that doesn't know the PS2 inside and out and how to get the most out of the system. However, the best PS2 graphically cant compare with the best GC or XBox game graphically, you wont see anyone comparing Zelda: TP to anything on PS2, or XBox for that matter.

two things to consider in the how and why for the PS2's ease-of-porting and ability to immitate or 'fake' higher end graphics is the popularity and will to develop for it, two things that the PS3 doesnt have right now. At 30M and four years for an AAA game no one's willing to sit back and take the R&D to figure out its full or work-around's potential anytime soon. It will be a slow uphill battle for PS3 to gain market, people seemed to have wise-up as far as immeadiately buying it for brand recognition, Sony will have to prove itself, which again, will be hard to do with so much negative attention currently.

I expect a big showing at E3 from Sony, but it's going to surprise people when they see that Killzone doesn't look anything like the trailer. Warhawk was a movie of the game running in real time off of dev kits, so expect the games atleast at first, to have that level of graphical detail. Definitely comparible to 360, but that's not saying much. A side from a few neat effects, the 360 has yet to redeem itself from the pit of 'marginally better', and when people see a repeat of that with PS3 (and possibly with Revolution as well) alot of things in this industry are going to change.

Tens of millions and 4 years to make a great game? That's totally unrealistic and it would only mean less great games for us to play. I'm thinking Nintendo has the right stance this generation.

Could be fake but worth a read - Dark Jaguar - 13th January 2006

Multiple sources aren't proper evidence unless the sources themselves are valid.

The Enquirer is highly reputed though, that should be enough. Of course, if something seems off, if the data seems to have no source or there's some logical flaw or too many assumptions...

Basically I'm saying use good judgement and don't believe everything you read. Still, sounds like there's enough reason to at least check into things.

Could be fake but worth a read - A Black Falcon - 13th January 2006

Yes, we certainly can't say for sure one way or the other yet... it's too early to tell. All we can say is that rumors are swirling... and that some of them may be true. Or maybe not... maybe the PS3 will be out in Spring, with a real games lineup... it's looking quite doubtful, but it's technically possible... PSP did come out for cheaper than most people expected, after all (that also makes me say 'it won't be $700'... though it is a Blu-Ray player, and those things are extremely expensive, so Sony will probably be swallowing a LOT of cash... um, they better hope BD-ROM movies become popular? :)).