Tendo City
Why Videogame Journalism Sucks - Printable Version

+- Tendo City (https://www.tendocity.net)
+-- Forum: Tendo City: Metropolitan District (https://www.tendocity.net/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+--- Forum: Tendo City (https://www.tendocity.net/forumdisplay.php?fid=42)
+--- Thread: Why Videogame Journalism Sucks (/showthread.php?tid=3440)

Why Videogame Journalism Sucks - The Former DMiller - 7th January 2006

Quote:I hate the videogame press. There, I've said it - after you don't know how many false starts trying to weave that statement into a cleverly constructed sentence, I've just said it outright - I hate (...the majority of...) the videogame press.

Being a part of said clique the feeling of eating my young is beginning to set in as I write this, but whilst reading various magazines and online publications for reviews, previews, features and editorials lately I've had a nagging feeling at the back of my mind which burst forth one morning into a revelation: I don't like what I'm reading one bit. And consequentially and rather unsettlingly, I don't much like most of what I've written in the videogame press in the past, particularly in the area of reviews and previews.

Why this sudden wave of self loathing and revulsion? (Well, to sensationalise it somewhat... I'm not going to cut my fingers off anytime soon as some frustrated artists, with emphasis on the "i", have been known to do.) Well I've just been a bit late coming to the conclusion that the formulaic, child-minded writing-for-the-lowest-common-marketing-denominator style that encapsulates 99% of the mainstream videogame press is a load of crap.

Starting in the most critical area of the videogame press's remit and where I have the most self-doubt about my own writings in the past, reviews and previews have to be the most generic, structured and circumspect pieces of writing which we produce en masse for a public which, despite perhaps doubting its value to them, would still crucify any publication which dared to do it any other way.

Previews are, alongside reviews, the bread and butter of most publications. You can fill up ¼ to 1/3 of a magazine or websites content with them, they're obviously relevant as readers want to know what to expect in six months time as well as a critique of whatever has already arrived, and yet most previews are not worth the paper they are written on.

Apart from a few scolding incidences where old scores are settled via poor previews, such as with the now rather old Red Faction 2, sequel to a game which many magazines ran previews on their covers with such exultations as "Move over Half-Life!" only to have to then quietly do a one page review of the terrible final product tucked away at the back of the publication, most previews are sugar coating.

For one publications do not want to tick off their PR contacts who probably won't be sending them further preview or review copies if the publication trashes a game at preview time.

I would contest that it is at preview time where the press can make the most positive contribution to an otherwise poor game - with constructive criticism, and not, mind, the opposite of the sugar coating we see now and simple-minded trashing of seemingly poor games, the press can affect the thinking of developers so that the final product will be much better received than it would be with great previews and then trashy reviews, which takes away from the standing of the publication as well as sinking many the game.

The other critical element of all videogame press coverage is reviews, and these are not much better off than their preview counterparts, except the author has more of a free hand to give an opinion as opposed to invoking every positive expletive known to mankind in the space of 800 words.

Most reviews follow a simple formula of going through the game, taking apart all the bad points if it is a bad game and sticking a line or two in about its redeeming qualities, if in fact there are any, at the end, or else (if it is a good game) going through all the really good points about the game, and then sticking down the negatives into a paragraph at the end, usually beginning something like "Despite all this, Game X does have one or two minor problems..."

The problem with this, apart from the single-mindedness and near clerical nature of reviewing games, is that picking out good points is almost as subjective as some reviews. Harken back to Half-Life 2 and read all the amazing coverage about gravity guns and reflective water and then go searching for a line or two on all the (far more critical to the overall experience, I would say) atmosphere invoked by the environment of City 17 - because one or two lines is about all you're likely to find in most reviews, as Matt Sakey correctly pointed out in IGDA a year ago.

Rather than being critics who add to the industry as film and music journalists arguably did back in the heady days of the 50's - 70's (though there's a whole other debate in the state of those two branches of critical journalism these days and in the past) videogame journalists are mere extensions of the marketing machine, pushing even the most mediocre of games into a good light with the public in previews and then trashing them for sport to see how many good puns can be dredged out of the 500 words which the author really doesn't want to have to write.

Previews are wasted so as not to annoy the PR machine and reviews are even more by-the-numbers, sometimes also softened in order to keep the marketing hacks well buttered up.

As well as this there is a pervasive childishness running through many publications as they attempt to appeal to the adolescent-minded with crude jokes repeated to the point of being not all that funny jokes in themselves. There is also an arrogance which runs through many in the industry, with the replies to letters and feedback from readers who do not agree with the stance taken by a publication reading more like cheap put-downs as opposed to real responses.

Having been eating my young for the past 979 words you'll note that I haven't named the names of magazines, websites or otherwise for obvious reasons. Apart from libel there is the issue of burning my bridges, and I do want the option of being able to work in the videogame town again at some stage myself, and I daresay this piece being dragged out in a few years will not do me many favours with all but a few.

This also means that I can't name the names of the rather decent publications, blogs and even one or two mainstream writers and publications which manage to do a decent job and push the envelope somewhat, though still not to the extent of being worthy of many accolades for real critical contribution I'm sorry to say.

It is up to you as the reader to decide if the sugar-coated previews with not a negative adjective in their columns are what you really want; though I daresay that as consumers of these publications we do not help the situation by our complacency in it. The Powers That Be would be more than happy to let the videogame press roam at least somewhat more freely if it was what sold magazines and attracted eyeballs to websites, and so the old clichéd adage of "Voting with your feet" must be applied.

I wouldn't expect an overnight change from the current superficial to a superfluous model of videogame journalism, but a gradual expunging of the arrogant, child-minded and ultimately pointless style of writing and mindset would be more than welcome, and perhaps essential if the videogame press is to survive as videogamers grow up and mature past the age of 16.

http://www.tgdaily.com/2006/01/07/the_pointlessness_of_current_videogame_journalism/

I'm interested to hear what other people think about this article. As a former videogame journalist I have some opinions on the industry, but I wanted to see what you guys thought first.

Why Videogame Journalism Sucks - Great Rumbler - 7th January 2006

It's pretty much true. I rarely read previews for more than descriptions of what I might potentially expect and some images, then use my common sense instead of reading what the writer thinks. As for reviews, I barely pay attention to them anymore other than, on occasion, be critical of them for giving a good game a low review or whatever. I also rarely read print magazine anymore, preferring to find all my information online and usually that's just news about upcoming games or images/videos.

To sum it up: I don't pay much attention to videogame journalists anymore.

Why Videogame Journalism Sucks - Weltall - 7th January 2006

I completely, 1000% ignore game previews, even those for games I know that I'm going to absolutely adore.

I don't want to be told of a game's incredible new stuff. It's not like I'll miss it when it comes out. And for games I know I'll like, I can't read previews because you never know when some asshole writes an inadvertent spoiler, ESPECIALLY close to release. I also do not read reviews of games I do not own for the same reason, though for some games, like platformers, that's not so important. Silent Hill 3 has a major, massive plot twist, and I read a preview in which enough information was given that I was able to figure out what happened (and I turned out to be right), and I was so pissed off I couldn't breathe. So, previews get the cold shoulder from me.

Why Videogame Journalism Sucks - A Black Falcon - 7th January 2006

I don't know, I find reviews and previews useful overall... of course they are no replacement for playing a game yourself. Everyone has different tastes, so you'll never agree with a review completely... still, a decent review should be able to tell you whether you'll like a game or not based on its description of the game and how it plays, irrespective of how much the reviewer liked the game, and many reviews do accomplish that... previews? Yes, they're 99% positive. Even so, they often have new information about upcoming games in them, so I read them... I don't want to wait for the game to come out to hear about it, I want to know what's being released about it!

Of course videogame journalism has problems... many reviewers don't do a great job being objective or explaining how the game works so the reader can make their own decision on how much they'd like the game based on that review. And all too often reviewers allow personal opinions to overly influence final review scores without acknowleding that it's going on... but even so, it's not THAT bad... I read quite a bit of videogame news (IGN, Gamespot, Gamespy, Kotaku, Joystiq, etc, etc...), and it's not just because I have nothing better to do. :)

Of course, I enjoy news in general (I also spend quite a bit of time at the CNN and New York Times websites), but general news and videogame news are different things.

Why Videogame Journalism Sucks - lazyfatbum - 8th January 2006

This is very old news to me.

I visit Planet Game Cube every once in a while and I enjoy Revo-Europe's often cynical albiet very 'teen' approach to game sites but other than that I cant stand any of the sites out there. Gamespot and IGN are among the worst, IGN reviews are now completely idiotic with no substance at all where the reviewers feel that they dont have to explain anything about their decisions in the score and Gamespot is like reading a 9 year old's rant with overly-simplistic views and meaningless opinions after it's been filtered through spell check and a thesaurus.

I have found the new bees knees; Blogs. they're perfect, and there's a ton of them. There's highly opinionated blogs from people of niche markets and general blogs with all the bias you'd expect from talking to a human being about the industry. A full-on hybrid of truth, lies and the catalyst of opinions. Not only are they entertaining to read but they offer much more insight about particular games or news.

Mostly it's just as the article says, the larger game sites and mags (I dont read any of the mags anymore) have to keep certain people happy. What's really funny is that it might go against their personal views so on the same website you'll read about how great a game is and then, in another article, read about its glaring flaws.

Out right lies in the face of biased fandom is one thing, but self-contradiction from under-the-sheets business and pocket-lining BS? How annoying is that?

Why Videogame Journalism Sucks - The Former DMiller - 8th January 2006

Totally agree with you lazy. Blogs are good because people don't have to worry about keeping game companies happy. The videogame industry is different from the movie industry because if you give a bad review to a movie it doesn't matter because you don't rely on the studios to watch movies. Unless you are an independent movie critic your publication pays your way into movies so you can write you reviews, and you can still get into sneak previews even after writing a bad review. The videogame industry is totally different. At N-Philes we used to get a lot of review games from companies which is why my games collection includes such games as Shrek 2 and Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon. We were never told that we had to give good reviews to games, but it was understood that we shouldn't totally trash a game because we relied on these companies to get our games, and they aren't going to keep sending games to a fan site that doesn't have the cache of an IGN or a Gamespot if we are trashing their games. It was hard to not fully express my opinion on some games, and it was one of the reasons I stopped writing reviews. Nintendojo kept trying to get me to work for them, but I just didn't want to do it anymore.

As for previews, I think they are even worse than reviews. For most of my time at N-Philes we never wrote previews because our director thought they served no purpose that a press release doesn't fill, and I totally agreed with him. Previews may tell you something about a game that you didn't know, but they are shameless marketing tools masquerading as news about an upcoming game. I love the idea brought up in the article above that previews should be a critique of what is wrong with an early version of a game so the developer has some feedback to work on possible problems. We couldn't do that at N-Philes since we didn't have a developer's GameCube (although we almost ended up getting one), but that is something I think is a much better use of previews.

It's too bad that money and keeping people happy is what drives videogame journalism now, and it is definitely one of the things that is holding back the industry from becoming as accepted as movies as an art form. I used to want to be a videogame journalist full-time, and I saw myself as the Roger Ebert of videogame reviews, but my work in the industry really disillusioned me on the whole thing, and I didn't see myself able to work in an industry I didn't respect.

Why Videogame Journalism Sucks - Great Rumbler - 8th January 2006

I use GAF now for most of my gaming news. Although, I still visit Revo-Europe about once a day.

Why Videogame Journalism Sucks - lazyfatbum - 8th January 2006

DMiller! *pants drop*

I think they should even add to it in the exact opposite, throw out a fully opinionated 'what if' scenario. Like Battalion Wars; It should have been fought to the front lines (i'm punny) to include multiplayer. It should have been well known to Nintendo that we DO NOT want this game UNTIL multiplayer is added. But the game sites only included that flaw in their reviews after its release, not once bringing it up before hand when something could have been done about it.

Nintendo releases to the press a blurb about the upcoming game, it gains a little interest for people looking for future games to play. Then the sites need to tear it to pieces, talk about the experimental game play, make a type of 'review' based on what is known so far and get people educated on the game and its structure to the point that we can start raising a movement to have certain features disabled or enabled, it would make the games better, Nintendo would have an even better idea of what is needed and more feedback from the people who will be buying the games.

I hate it when a game site says "little is known so we're leaving it as is". If Capcom says "hey Resident Evil for DS" everyone who is a journalist should be bringing up the notion of RE1 AGAIN and how the game needs to be more original, that we dont want RE1 again despite it having new gameplay modes. When they released that horrible RE game for Gameboy no one even glanced at it twice - PUNCHING ZOMBIES? it was retarded and if the press would speak up more about it, it would have been a better game because Capcom would have gotten much more feedback while the game was being made so they know what their audience wants.

Film directors, producers and writers do it, they look for feedback from everyone, individuals and demographics to create the best from their ability so that the target audience will have more fun, showing the alpha version of the film to test audneces looking for feedback, changing it until almost everyone agrees that its great, even changing the film WHILE ITS IN THEATERS or before the DVD is released to better fit what people want to see, everything from minor problems to removing or adding entire scenes. Video games should be no different, there's no reason why Battalion Wars couldn't be re-released as a special edition with a new campaign (where you play as the Solar empire) and an in-depth multiplayer option. But instead, we'll be waiting until well in to the Revolution's era for a sequel. Nintendo could be making twice the money with little effort AND making its market happy. Completely retarded. The only reason this isn't done is because of a lack of feedback and a masturbating network of press who are just trying to cash in on the circle jerk.

If a handful people who 'get it' and take the time to send Nintendo emails saying "Hey, fix this", Nintendo wont care. Get a few thousand people all asking for the same thing and boom, squeaky wheel gets the oil ASAP.

Why Videogame Journalism Sucks - Great Rumbler - 8th January 2006

The gaming press doesn't speak up because they're afraid of losing advertising money.

Why Videogame Journalism Sucks - A Black Falcon - 8th January 2006

The bigger the publication is, the more ability they'd have to speak freely without being punished, I'd think... though that can't help with poor staff... :)

Why Videogame Journalism Sucks - Smoke - 9th January 2006

I don't read reviews. Every once in a while I'll read a preview.

There's always the other end of the spectrum.

[Image: 15751929_9f57aba2de.jpg]

Why Videogame Journalism Sucks - A Black Falcon - 9th January 2006

http://www.1up.com/do/blogEntry?bId=6228583&publicUserId=5379799

Maybe criticisms like these are accurate, but I enjoy reading videogame media anyway... I don't know, I just like to read about the games... are there flaws? Looks like there well may be. But even so, what they do produce I like...

Why Videogame Journalism Sucks - A Black Falcon - 10th January 2006

I know I said I like gaming journalism, but some sites...

I never exactly respected Cube-Europe much, and this version is as bad as ever... a mailbag where they just guess on the answers and pretend that they know what they're talking about (and thus are regularly wrong), for instance... or stuff like THIS...

http://www.revo-europe.com/special.php?sid=top50nintendo&page=3

"By modern standards, there's not a lot to like about Star Fox 64"? ACK! BAD! And compitely false... And that's not even looking at the game choices... if Super Mario Brothers only deserves 23rd, Chrono Trigger 21st, and The Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening 37th... (and Starfox 64 36th)... yet Killer 7 gets 32nd? Better than LA or Fire Emblem: Path of Radiance? Insane...

Not sure why I read it... there are better fansites out there (PGC, N-Philes, N-Sider, Nintendojo, etc...)...

Why Videogame Journalism Sucks - lazyfatbum - 10th January 2006

Like I said, very teenage-way of seeing things, only the 'now' and the immeadiate past and future is up for concern as far as these 'young' sites go.

You learn to stay away from the opinionated articles with no value and look for news worthy items. Being the type of site they are, they seek tidbits of anything, so it's entertaining to see what they find. As opposed to an 'older' site which only prints the concrete stuff, meaning less content but more important content.

Revo-Europe is litteraly the kind of site you want to check last after looking at the others, odds are that they found some little tidbit of something that could prove interesting. Being stationed in the UK also means they have more doors open to them as people in the industry in the UK who are sometimes more willing to spill the beans.

I've found a site I enjoy lately, check it out: http://www.cubed3.com/

Unfortunately they're down right now, but should be up soon.