Tendo City
Pikmin 2 and Kirby's Air Ride pics - Printable Version

+- Tendo City (https://www.tendocity.net)
+-- Forum: Tendo City: Metropolitan District (https://www.tendocity.net/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+--- Forum: Tendo City (https://www.tendocity.net/forumdisplay.php?fid=42)
+--- Thread: Pikmin 2 and Kirby's Air Ride pics (/showthread.php?tid=344)

Pages: 1 2

Pikmin 2 and Kirby's Air Ride pics - Great Rumbler - 25th February 2003

Kirby's Air Ride:

[Image: 20030225083820.jpg]

[Image: 20030225083819.jpg]

Pikmin 2:

[Image: 20030225083165.jpg]

[Image: 20030225083164.jpg]

[Image: 20030225083163.jpg]

Kirby's Air Ride seems to be strongly influenced by Mario Kart and F-Zero, which can only be viewed as a good thing. Pikmin 2 looks similar in style and graphics to the first game.

Pikmin 2 and Kirby's Air Ride pics - Private Hudson - 25th February 2003

Co-ooooooooooooooooop!!!!!

Bounce Bounce Bounce Bounce Bounce

Go Pikmin!!

Pikmin 2 and Kirby's Air Ride pics - A Black Falcon - 25th February 2003

Awesome! They look great... Kirby's Air Ride has changed since its old cancelled N64 version. In that one you rode over just checkerboard landscape... anyone remember that? Now, it seems to look like real-world terrain... and looks very cool. A racing game, I guess... :)

Pikmin 2... interesting. The splitscreen mode looks good... I wonder if it is cooperative or 1v1... the graphics look very similar to the first game, but the first one had good graphics so that's not really a problem.

Pikmin 2 and Kirby's Air Ride pics - OB1 - 25th February 2003

It's difficult to tell from just these two little screens, but in the canned N64 game the tracks looked more simplistic. I also hope that they increase the speed from the N64 game.

I'd certainly hope that a Cube game would look better than a first-gen N64 game... and it does. As I said, its got real terrain and not that 'checkerboard' land like the first version had...

I hope they ressurect some more canned N64 games.
*cough*EARTHBOUND*cough*

Pikmin 2 and Kirby's Air Ride pics - big guy - 25th February 2003

it's funny that the first kirby pic shows "link kirby"...i wonder if you suck up abilities of different nintendo characters while you race to help you out. who knows...and i bet that second player pikmin guy will have a name similar to igiul...just an idear.

I thought it was just Sword Kirby, not a specifically Link Kirby...

Pikmin 2 and Kirby's Air Ride pics - Dark Lord Neo - 25th February 2003

Pikmin 2 looks sweet
I have mixed fealings abotu Kirby, I liked the old Kirby games but I didn't like the most recent one.
I hope the next Super Smash brothers will have Pikmin as characters

How could you not like Kirby 64? That was a fantastic game. It may have been on the easy side, but it played very similar to past Kirby games but with a much-improved ability morph feature.

big guy: You're right, I didn't even notice that. He's got a green hat, ABF. A green hat and a sword. But in order to use Link's ablilities doesn't he have to swallow up Link (that sounds so nasty)? Hmm... perhaps there will be some other Nintendo characters in the game... nah.. it's more likely that you'll be able collect power-ups or something like that.

It probably just gives you a green hat when you have the sword powerup...

As for Kirby 64, it was a good, but not great, game. I liked it... but not as much as Kirby 2 on GB... and as far as N64 sidescrolling platformers go, I liked Goemon's Great Adventure more.

Pikmin 2 and Kirby's Air Ride pics - Dark Jaguar - 25th February 2003

OB1, you noticed the hat eh? Nope, he didn't swallow Link to get it. That's what Kirby looks like every time he gets the sword ability. In fact the only Kirby game where he doesn't wear hats is Kirby 64 (I think that was my biggest beef, that they couldn't give a unique hat for each combo). Now, I think it's obvious that him having that hat for both the sword and bomb ability is essentially a Zelda tie in, but Link was never in those games.

Pikmin 2 and Kirby's Air Ride pics - Sacred Jellybean - 25th February 2003

Speaking strictly from a graphics point-of-view: Kirby looks like a first-gen GC game, and I hope they find a way to hide the muddy textures in Pikmin during 2 player mode.

However, they both look like fun. I'm not sure what Kirby's deal is in this new game, and Pikmin may be hard to play on a smaller TV screen, but overall, they look appealing.

Quote:Originally posted by Dark Jaguar
OB1, you noticed the hat eh? Nope, he didn't swallow Link to get it. That's what Kirby looks like every time he gets the sword ability. In fact the only Kirby game where he doesn't wear hats is Kirby 64 (I think that was my biggest beef, that they couldn't give a unique hat for each combo). Now, I think it's obvious that him having that hat for both the sword and bomb ability is essentially a Zelda tie in, but Link was never in those games.

Ah, ok.

Quote:Originally posted by A Black Falcon
It probably just gives you a green hat when you have the sword powerup...

As for Kirby 64, it was a good, but not great, game. I liked it... but not as much as Kirby 2 on GB... and as far as N64 sidescrolling platformers go, I liked Goemon's Great Adventure more.

I love both N64 Goemon games (I like the first one a lot more though), but no other N64 side-scroller could compete with Kirby 64 for me. I always liked the GB games, but not as much as I liked Nintendo's other big franchises. Kirby 64 was the first Kirby game that I really loved.

Well then, we disagree... I thought Kirby 64 was slightly dissapointing, actually. It was decent enough, but not GREAT like Kirby 2 on GB... and wasn't nearly as good as Goemon's Great Adventure, either... I never played the first N64 Goemon game, but isn't it 3d and not 2d?

Why was Kirby 64 somewhat dissapointing? Hmm... first, the absolutely idiotic decision to force you to use the stupid D-Pad. Its the only N64 game I ever used the D-Pad in ever... and only because it forced me to... Not good at all. :(

Also, I was VERY dissapointed that Kirby lost his ability to fly indefinitely... it was, IMO, his trademark move even more than swallowing... but its gone. And it wasn't fun at all to have it gone... I loved being able to fly forever in Kirby 1 and 2 on GB (both of those games were really good...).

Other than that, it was very short and easy... that wasn't a huge issue as it IS a Kirby game... but it could have been tougher.

Oh, and the minibosses were really, really lame. I mean, no miniboss moves? What were they thinking?

Also... I didn't like how Dedede is suddenly a good guy. In every Kirby game before that Dedede was a bad guy... not the final badguy in Kirby 2 and later (Dark Matter was), but a tough boss for late in the game... but suddenly he's on your side. Lame, lame, lame.

Oh... I did like the 4-player minigames... the one with catching apples is terrible, but the other two are surprisingly fun.

You would be surprised how an enemy so ridiculously more powerful than you are suddenly causes you to side up with unlikely partners... Sheesh, you are fighting what appears to be an angel! It's launching exloding STARS at you! It is warping space and time and launching weird spores at you probably made of dark energy, and it's got a power level of like 90821321321412 or something if you are one of those DB nuts. To be honest I'm surprised King Dedede even tried going against Kirby. I mean, Kirby punched the planet in half! He frickin' owns! Link did what, toss a gigantic stone pillar like a javelin a few times? Big deal when you have a guy punching planets in half! Then there's Mario, who is killing enemies with water, WATER! How strong could those enemies be if they can't stand WATER? Sure, made of paint maybe, but if they were strong enough it should take high pressure water to kill them. Oh, and that water pump is NOT high pressure if it only shoots like 3 meters ahead of Mario! I thought Mario was stronger than that, you know picking up gigantic 30 ton bombs and hurling them around, and spinning giant turtle lizards by the tail, and breaking bricks with his head. Mewtwo is about the only power match I see being realistic for Kirby, I mean the guy held all the oceans of the world in place with his mind alone and didn't even seem to be using effort to do it, and then WHILE doing that, he managed to bat off every enemy who came calling like they were nothing. I wonder how well Mew would have done if Mewtwo wasn't holding back the water... If only marginally better, then Mewtwo must be so much more powerful than what it takes to hold back trillions of tons of matter that it's like you don't even want to think of creating him because he might just make himself real and kick our arses into the 47th dimension or something. Oh, then there's Ganondorf, he's got the strength of TWO men, but more importantly he has as much power as he can wish for when he holds all three pieces of the triforce. How did the Master Sword get forged to resist that anyway? Eh, I suspect they are probably all super powerful and just holding it back to keep from blowing up whatever solar system they reside in.

D-pad is the best way to control something like Kirby, but yes I do agree they should have allowed the option to use the analog stick.

I'll say this OB1, have you played Super Star? That's my personal fave Kirby game. That game pulled it all together. Great level design, great abilities, and all sorts of great Kirby action in a decently long game with moderate difficulty. Kirby 64 was a fun game, but I didn't enjoy it as much as Super Star. I mean, yes the combo system was very nicely done, and one of my favorite parts of K64, but in the end that wasn't enough to push K64 above Super Star.

What were they thinking when they removing miniboss moves? They were thinking it'd be a bit of extra work programming in the desings for those moves, and of course they might have to just make those moves uncombinable, which would mean an exception case for when Kirby has those uncombinable abilities. It would have been extra work. Of course, I can't defend them for that. I'm just saying that's what they were thinking.

I'm sad to say that I never played Superstar. I played all of the GB games, but I liked them about as much as most of of the original GB games (aside from LA).

I never played the SNES games either... but the GB ones were really good, especially the second one... that's still one of the best games on the GB...

That's not saying much...

Yes it is. The top Game Boy games are really good games...

I do believe the GB had some really great games. Tetris, it's launch game, is still one of the best puzzlers ever. It's portable incarnation was superior to all previous versions (all two of them :D). It eventually got remade for GBC, but GBC has a small lacking. WHERE'S THE RUSSIAN MUSIC? That stuff rocked! That music even made an appearence on The Simpsons! There's Return of Samus, Link's Awakening, and Mega Man V as well. Donkey Kong was also a very nice game, a wonderful expansion of DK Arcade that I really wish I owned. GBC is what I'd call the system that is lacking. It had very few amazing titles all it's own before GBA came along (Metal Gear Solid, Zelda Oracle, SMBDX, well that was just a remake, but hey so was Tetris GB).

Pikmin 2 and Kirby's Air Ride pics - A Black Falcon - 26th February 2003

Yes, the GB had a lot of really, really good Nintendo games... I am still surprised that OB1 doesn't see that...

Mega Man 4 and 5 for GB are two of the best games of the series... Metroid 2 is good, Donkey Kong ('94... and it was barely anything like the arcade game, a fact you'd know if you'd played it...), Mario Land 1 and 2, Wario Land, Mole Mania, Gradius: The Interstellar Assualt, Kirby 1 and 2, Final Fantasy Adventure, Micro Machines... all great games, as well as plenty more games... others I have that are good, but not as good as those, include Donkey Kong Land, Wario Land 2 and/or 3 (I don't have 3, but its a lot like 2), Kirby's Block Ball and Pinball Land, Bomberman GB, etc, etc, etc...

GBC was a good system too, but it was only around for a few years and didn't get up as big a collection of great games... I have around 40 to 45 GB/C games, and 8 of them are GBC only and I think 3 are GB/C dualmode... and of them, I'd only list Oracles, SMBDX, and Bionic Commando Elite Forces (IMO one of the bet GB games ever... anyone else here agree?) on a 'best of' list... some others are good, but not great -- Micro Machines V3, Kirby Tilt n Tumble, R-Type DX, Warlocked, and others...

I've heard MGS for GBC is good too, but never played it.

Um... if I just listed over half of my GB collection... well, that's because the console has a lot of great games, and I tried to get ones I knew I'd like -- first/second party games and the best of the 3rd party ones...

Pikmin 2 and Kirby's Air Ride pics - Dark Jaguar - 26th February 2003

Yes I know it's barely anything like DK Arcade, because in fact I have played it. It's a very puzzly type game with 100 or so levels (didn't get nearly that far of course) based on DK Arcade. It's more like a MASSIVE expansion, which is what I should have said. It's got the 4 original levels in there, but you can use the new moves like backflipping so they don't play quite the same as before.

Pikmin 2 and Kirby's Air Ride pics - OB1 - 26th February 2003

"A lot" of good games? I don't think so. Link's Awaikening was very good, Metroid 2 was good (my least favorite Metroid game)... and that's pretty much it for original games. Sure there were some pretty good ports such as DK, Tetris, and the MM games, but I really didn't care for the majority of the Gameboy games that were released. The GBA, however, has tons of great games. I have more GBA games than I do for any of my other recent systems. Before the GBC came out I never really cared for many handheld games. I mean why would I want to play Mario Land when I could play Mario World? Portability was the only draw. But with the GBA I play most of my games at home. Can't wait until that GBA-GC adapter comes out!

You listed MM5 and DK as ports?! Tetris yes, but those two are unique titles! Actually, aside from recyclying bosses, the first 4 MM games for GB are original titles too. They do have unique Wily Fortress bosses too. Saying DK is a port is nutty. That game is pretty much completely it's own game. It's a sequal, or a SUPER EXPANSION, but calling it a port is like calling Animal Crossing a port of Clu Clu Land just because that game is in it.

Pikmin 2 and Kirby's Air Ride pics - Nintendarse - 26th February 2003

I heard this from gaming-age about Pikmin: Look at the first and last Pikmin 2 shot. There's Olimar and Loozy on the same screen. This means either that Loozy as an AI-controlled character which gets directions from Olimar or an online/LAN game. I can dream...

The split-screen image of looks like vomit...literally. None of those screeshots compare to some of the striking vistas of Pikmin 1. Granted, it's using an old engine, and it's an early build, but those screenshots look terrible, even when compared to Pikmin 1.

I also noticed a few interesting things in those shots. In the first one, the Pikmin are carrying what seems to be a liquid. Could this liquid be used to put out fires or clean up the vomit? In the last shot, there is a new icon on the screen: a four-direction shape. Perhaps the player can map four actions onto the d-pad? Finally, Olimar and Loozy seem to be wearing new backpacks. I doubt these are for decorative purposes.

You are insane if you think DK and MM5 are ports... and as for MM1 to 4, they are not even remotely ports either. Are those 4 games completely unique? No, they do have the bosses from the NES games... but the levels are new, or at least remixed (depending on which game you're talking about). And stuff is added, like MM4 -- the levels are almost the same as the NES ones from MM3 and MM4, but it adds Beat and the P-Chips and buying items ,as well as changing the levels some... not a port at all, no.

I just don't see how you can dislike the GB. It was such a great system... it just makes no sense at all. Unless you mostly played them emulated or something... emulated GB games just don't work well at all...

DK Arcade is a arcade game... run, jump, and do it over. DK '94 is a puzzle game with a few action levels... totally different. Its also a really long game... and very fun, even if at times some of those puzzles were extremely frusterating.

Oh, and when I played Mario 64, I was reminded of Donkey Kong because that one, I believe, introduced Mario being an acrobat -- he could do a handstand, triple jump, flip, hang and swing on wires, and plenty more...

Oh, and as for Pikmin 2, I bet its a CPU-controlled character.

Also... while the two Mario Land games weren't as good as Mario World, they were very good games... I sure felt so... though my favorite game in the series is Wario Land (1)... I loved that game...

You listed MM5 and DK as ports?! Tetris yes, but those two are unique titles! Actually, aside from recyclying bosses, the first 4 MM games for GB are original titles too. They do have unique Wily Fortress bosses too. Saying DK is a port is nutty. That game is pretty much completely it's own game. It's a sequal, or a SUPER EXPANSION, but calling it a port is like calling Animal Crossing a port of Clu Clu Land just because that game is in it.

Every single regular 2D Mega Man game has pretty much been the exact same, so that's not a huge stretch. And sure, there are what, a hundred or so new levels in DK? It might not be fair calling it a port, but it's close enough I suppose. Who cares?

Quote:I just don't see how you can dislike the GB. It was such a great system... it just makes no sense at all. Unless you mostly played them emulated or something... emulated GB games just don't work well at all...

I had a GB in the early 90's, but I didn't play much besides Tetris, LA, and Metroid 2 because none of the other games interested me very much. Even Nintendo's original Mario Land games were just pale shadows of their big brothers.

Quote:Every single regular 2D Mega Man game has pretty much been the exact same, so that's not a huge stretch. And sure, there are what, a hundred or so new levels in DK? It might not be fair calling it a port, but it's close enough I suppose. Who cares?

Mega Man games are great... I've always loved the series. So it doesn't change much... so what? Why should they change a formula that works so well?

Oh, and calling DK '94 a port is just so totally absurd and utterly ridiculous I have absolutely no response. It is just a utterly bizarre idea that it is even in some vague way a port, or even a sequel... the game is so totally different from Donkey Kong that that whole idea is bizarre...

Quote:I had a GB in the early 90's, but I didn't play much besides Tetris, LA, and Metroid 2 because none of the other games interested me very much. Even Nintendo's original Mario Land games were just pale shadows of their big brothers.

Well then, you either REALLY hate black and white graphics or have awful taste in games.

Quote:Mega Man games are great... I've always loved the series. So it doesn't change much... so what? Why should they change a formula that works so well?

BECAUSE THEY'VE BARELY CHANGED THE FORMULA OVER THE PAST FIFTY GAMES!

I still like playing a MM game every once in a while, but when they release a new Mega Man game every year that plays almost the exact same as the past twenty games in the series then well, it gets old. Fast.

Quote:Oh, and calling DK '94 a port is just so totally absurd and utterly ridiculous I have absolutely no response. It is just a utterly bizarre idea that it is even in some vague way a port, or even a sequel... the game is so totally different from Donkey Kong that that whole idea is bizarre...

Alright, we're gonna play a fun little game right now. It's called "Pay attention to what I say, you twit". Re-read my post. I said, "It might not be fair calling it a port, but it's close enough I suppose. Who cares?". There ya go! Does that make a little more sense now?

Quote:Well then, you either REALLY hate black and white graphics or have awful taste in games.

This coming from the guy who loves those awful Gauntlet games. Rolleyes

If I really hated B&W games then I wouldn't love Link's Awaikening. There are maybe five, six original GB games that I can honestly say that I really enjoyed playing. The rest are either done better on other systems or just uninteresting to me. Let me list out the original GB games that I really enjoyed playing:

-Link's Awaikening
-Metroid 2
-Donkey Kong (happy now?)

I'm sure there are a few others, but I can't remember them at the moment.

Quote:BECAUSE THEY'VE BARELY CHANGED THE FORMULA OVER THE PAST FIFTY GAMES!

I still like playing a MM game every once in a while, but when they release a new Mega Man game every year that plays almost the exact same as the past twenty games in the series then well, it gets old. Fast.

Well some people, including me, still find them fun after 25+ games. So you don't... too bad.

Quote:Alright, we're gonna play a fun little game right now. It's called "Pay attention to what I say, you twit". Re-read my post. I said, "It might not be fair calling it a port, but it's close enough I suppose. Who cares?". There ya go! Does that make a little more sense now?

That is exactly the quote I was replying to... 'close enough i suppose'? Hardly. And plenty of people care... that was an extremely good game and you dismiss it out of hand...

Quote:This coming from the guy who loves those awful Gauntlet games.

If I really hated B&W games then I wouldn't love Link's Awaikening. There are maybe five, six original GB games that I can honestly say that I really enjoyed playing. The rest are either done better on other systems or just uninteresting to me. Let me list out the original GB games that I really enjoyed playing:

-Link's Awaikening
-Metroid 2
-Donkey Kong (happy now?)

I'm sure there are a few others, but I can't remember them at the moment.

Well then, I guess its just bad taste in games that makes you dislike so many truly great games... I've already listed several dozen great ones in my last post so I won't do it again. If you don't think those games are really, really good... then something is very wrong with you...

Quote:Well some people, including me, still find them fun after 25+ games. So you don't... too bad.

Congratulations. I actually prefer some sort of change in the series that I love, especially if they pass the 20 sequel mark.

Quote:That is exactly the quote I was replying to... 'close enough i suppose'? Hardly. And plenty of people care... that was an extremely good game and you dismiss it out of hand...

I said that I liked the game, but technically speaking it is a port, even though there is an extra hundred levels or so. Call it whatever you want, it doesn't really matter.

Quote:Well then, I guess its just bad taste in games that makes you dislike so many truly great games... I've already listed several dozen great ones in my last post so I won't do it again. If you don't think those games are really, really good... then something is very wrong with you...

Wow, I didn't know that we had an authority on what's good or not! The games I listed are the ones that I consider to be very good, but the other ones you listed I can live without playing on a regular basis. Sure they're fun, but not great. I think we've already established that you don't exactly have the best taste in games, what with your obsession towards crappy Midway racers and action games.

Ah, of course. Forgive me for thinking that taste is subjective and my taste in games is just as valid to me as yours is to you... I mean, because you say so Midway racing and Gauntlet games have to be awful! Of course! SO sorry I never saw that before...

Um, there's a small difference between liking specific games and saying 'there are two or three good game on that entire system'?

Oh... and as for sequels, I usually do like it more when sequels change things... but sometimes, its better to leave it alone. For example, I'd have been a lot happier with Extreme-G 3 if it'd been a lot more like XG2 and a lot less of a F-Zero/Wipeout clone... oh, and the Mega Man series does change. I like the X ones best, actually... I love the additions like being able to climb walls and all the parts to collect and stuff...

Finally, I just can't see even the beginning of any possible semi-justification for even starting to call DK'94 a port. It makes no sense whatsoever.

Quote:Ah, of course. Forgive me for thinking that taste is subjective and my taste in games is just as valid to me as yours is to you... I mean, because you say so Midway racing and Gauntlet games have to be awful! Of course! SO sorry I never saw that before...

Ha! Didn't you just say that my tastes were awful?? If you really thought that tastes in games were subjective then you wouldn't have said that! I made that Midway remark for the sole purpose of getting you to say what you just said.

Quote:Um, there's a small difference between liking specific games and saying 'there are two or three good game on that entire system'?

I actually said that there are only four or five GB games that I really like. There are some others that are pretty good, but not worth much of my time.

Quote:Oh... and as for sequels, I usually do like it more when sequels change things... but sometimes, its better to leave it alone. For example, I'd have been a lot happier with Extreme-G 3 if it'd been a lot more like XG2 and a lot less of a F-Zero/Wipeout clone... oh, and the Mega Man series does change. I like the X ones best, actually... I love the additions like being able to climb walls and all the parts to collect and stuff...

Ooh, what a huge change! Perhaps if there were only six or eight Mega Man games then that would be acceptable, but when there are over twenty-one games like are basically the same? That's terrible!

Quote:Finally, I just can't see even the beginning of any possible semi-justification for even starting to call DK'94 a port. It makes no sense whatsoever.

It's a a super port.

It can't be called a port in the least. An expansion yes, but you can't call it a port, or even a super port (Mario All Stars is a super port).

Ok, I'll call it an ultra-port-expansion. Does that make you feel better?

Pikmin 2 and Kirby's Air Ride pics - Dark Lord Neo - 26th February 2003

Quote:Originally posted by Nintendarse
I heard this from gaming-age about Pikmin: Look at the first and last Pikmin 2 shot. There's Olimar and Loozy on the same screen. This means either that Loozy as an AI-controlled character which gets directions from Olimar or an online/LAN game. I can dream...

The split-screen image of looks like vomit...literally. None of those screeshots compare to some of the striking vistas of Pikmin 1. Granted, it's using an old engine, and it's an early build, but those screenshots look terrible, even when compared to Pikmin 1.

I also noticed a few interesting things in those shots. In the first one, the Pikmin are carrying what seems to be a liquid. Could this liquid be used to put out fires or clean up the vomit? In the last shot, there is a new icon on the screen: a four-direction shape. Perhaps the player can map four actions onto the d-pad? Finally, Olimar and Loozy seem to be wearing new backpacks. I doubt these are for decorative purposes.

When I looked at the screens thought I noticed an imporvement in graphics if anything

Quote: Ok, I'll call it an ultra-port-expansion. Does that make you feel better?

Calling it a port is an insult to the game. I seriously doubt you've played it much more than 5 minuites if you think that. Its not an expansion either... expansions actually involve playing a game a lot like the original, and DK94 is almost nothing like the original... no, its a totally new game in a different genre (puzzle, not action) that happens to share the same name.

Plus, Mario has all those cool moves he can do...

Also, the arcade levels as they are in the game aren't direct ports. They are smaller versions of the levels -- and much easier. Also, the arcade version isn't there -- you play those versions of the arcade levels in the altered versions only, and with the acrobatic moves that dramatically change the game... I just can't see any justification that begins to explain how you think the way you do about the game. Except ignorance of how the game works, which is a legitimate excuse, if true.

By your logic, Excitebike 64 is a port of NES Excitebike because it has motorcycles and the name 'Excitebike' in it.. actually, Excitebike would be a much better "port" than DK '94 because it actually has the original game in it and is in the same genre as that game... DK64, too... but DK for GB? Not in the remotest way.

Quote:Ha! Didn't you just say that my tastes were awful?? If you really thought that tastes in games were subjective then you wouldn't have said that! I made that Midway remark for the sole purpose of getting you to say what you just said.

I knew you'd say that... which is why I said

Quote: Um, there's a small difference between liking specific games and saying 'there are two or three good game on that entire system'?

... Is that too difficult for you to understand? To make it simpler for your seemingly small brain, try replacing 'small difference' with 'extremely large difference' if you can't see the sarcasm...

Also, I didn't write off 99.99% of the games on a console (or declare them all great) or something... I just said I like arcade racing games and Gauntlet is a fun game which I'd give maybe a B+ score to... You did. All I can assume is that either you haven't played most of those GB games I listed, or you have some very strange idea of what a good game is.

Quote:Ooh, what a huge change! Perhaps if there were only six or eight Mega Man games then that would be acceptable, but when there are over twenty-one games like are basically the same? That's terrible!

Uh... it WAS a huge change from Mega Man to MMX... and again from X3 to X4 when it went to PSX...

Quote:Calling it a port is an insult to the game. I seriously doubt you've played it much more than 5 minuites if you think that. Its not an expansion either... expansions actually involve playing a game a lot like the original, and DK94 is almost nothing like the original... no, its a totally new game in a different genre (puzzle, not action) that happens to share the same name.

Plus, Mario has all those cool moves he can do...

Also, the arcade levels as they are in the game aren't direct ports. They are smaller versions of the levels -- and much easier. Also, the arcade version isn't there -- you play those versions of the arcade levels in the altered versions only, and with the acrobatic moves that dramatically change the game... I just can't see any justification that begins to explain how you think the way you do about the game. Except ignorance of how the game works, which is a legitimate excuse, if true.

By your logic, Excitebike 64 is a port of NES Excitebike because it has motorcycles and the name 'Excitebike' in it.. actually, Excitebike would be a much better "port" than DK '94 because it actually has the original game in it and is in the same genre as that game... DK64, too... but DK for GB? Not in the remotest way.

Oh now that's a great comparison if I ever heard one. Yes there are a few new moves and things like back, but if you really think that DK GB is less of a port than Excitebike 64 is then you've really gone to crazy land. You can play the original Excitebike in EB64, but the new game plays nothing like the original one. The extra levels in DK GB are pretty similar to the original three. Calling it an expansion as DJ suggested would be more appropriate.

But hey, call it whatever you like. I'll call it a super-port-expansion, and you can call it a totally new game.

Quote:I knew you'd say that... which is why I said

I'm sure. Rolleyes

Quote:... Is that too difficult for you to understand? To make it simpler for your seemingly small brain, try replacing 'small difference' with 'extremely large difference' if you can't see the sarcasm...

Oh, you were trying to be sarcastic! OH! Ohohohoho! So clever! Perhaps I should get DJ to give you a few lessons in the proper usage of sarcasm.

Quote:Also, I didn't write off 99.99% of the games on a console (or declare them all great) or something... I just said I like arcade racing games and Gauntlet is a fun game which I'd give maybe a B+ score to... You did. All I can assume is that either you haven't played most of those GB games I listed, or you have some very strange idea of what a good game is.

I've played all of the GB games that you listed, and for the upteenth time: I liked them, but not very much. Would you like me to write an essay explaining that very simple statement to you? I could do that, really!

Quote:Uh... it WAS a huge change from Mega Man to MMX... and again from X3 to X4 when it went to PSX...

That was HUGE for you? You must have some pretty small standards if you think that adding a gun charge, a wall jump, and a slide to the same basic formula is a HUGE change. And even if that were a HUGE change, that's still a total of fifteen or so Mega Man games that are basically the same as each other and a total of six MMX games that are basically the same as each other.

You make no sense. None.

Quote:Oh now that's a great comparison if I ever heard one. Yes there are a few new moves and things like back, but if you really think that DK GB is less of a port than Excitebike 64 is then you've really gone to crazy land. You can play the original Excitebike in EB64, but the new game plays nothing like the original one. The extra levels in DK GB are pretty similar to the original three. Calling it an expansion as DJ suggested would be more appropriate.

But hey, call it whatever you like. I'll call it a super-port-expansion, and you can call it a totally new game.

"The extra levels in DK GB are pretty similar to the original three." that statement proves that you have not played DK '94 much, so the discussion is really pointless when you either haven't played the game for any significant amount of time or forget the basics of how it worked.

Quote:I'm sure.

I guess assuming that you would read what I said was too much, because that next sentence seemed to me to be a very clear explanation of what the difference between what I said earlier and what you said were...

Quote:I've played all of the GB games that you listed, and for the upteenth time: I liked them, but not very much. Would you like me to write an essay explaining that very simple statement to you? I could do that, really!

Well all I can say to that is to repeat that your taste in good games is bizarre.

Quote:That was HUGE for you? You must have some pretty small standards if you think that adding a gun charge, a wall jump, and a slide to the same basic formula is a HUGE change. And even if that were a HUGE change, that's still a total of fifteen or so Mega Man games that are basically the same as each other and a total of six MMX games that are basically the same as each other.

It was huge... as the series progressed things were added -- sliding, charging your shot, Rush, collecting 'money' to buy items (used in Mega Man 4 and 5 on GB as well as, I believe, 7, 8 and MM vs Bass)... then X came and changed so much -- collecting armor parts, wall climbing, different characters (in the later X games), different armors that have different powers, ducking (finally added in X5...)... I know that the basic fundamentals are the same and the extras they added just improve on that, but I love the base gameplay of Mega Man. I own 6 Mega Man games and have played a lot of more than 5 others... and still love the series and don't want it to change much.

When they try to 'innovate' Mega Man we get Legends... :( That's why I'm concerned about X7 on PS2 -- its 3d... I really hope its done well, but I don't really expect it to be the same (or as good)... which is too bad.

You don't like the gameplay of the series, obviously, so I can certainly see why you wouldn't understand.

Pikmin 2 and Kirby's Air Ride pics - big guy - 26th February 2003

survival kids was a really good GB game...that had GBC capabilites. it was one of them...hybrids, y'know...

i wonder if you can still buy that game...i'd like to own it.

I have Survival Kids... yeah, it was pretty good.

I'm not sure if X7 is fully 3D or just 2 1/2 D like Yoshi's Story.

Anyway, original 3 levels? The original had 4 levels. The NES version had one removed (the other three had minor alterations as well). Adding new moves wasn't all. The whole design of all the extra levels was very different. Although there was a slight puzzle attribute one could say was in the first 4 levels, they just emphasized surviving. The new levels (all 96 of them) not only were much larger than a single screen, they required you to do a lot of things before you could use the exit. The whole idea was of a puzzle game nature. It could be compaired to Lost Vikings, in that it's an action puzzle, though the comparison stops there. You had to think about how enemies acted to get some key or jump just right to hit a switch BEFORE something happens or whatnot. And this was just in the 5 or so levels I played on a friend's copy. While super expansion is an accurate word I'd use, I use it knowing that calling it that is kinda inaccurate since the first four levels are almost there purely for legacy's sake. Donkey Kong for gameboy was most assuredly it's own seperate and unique game.

It was still an expansion of the original game.

Quote:The extra levels in DK GB are pretty similar to the original three." that statement proves that you have not played DK '94 much, so the discussion is really pointless when you either haven't played the game for any significant amount of time or forget the basics of how it worked.
[/qupte]

Dude, I used to have the same before I sold all of my GC stuff. I just have different standards for what makes a game different than you do. Just look at your Mega Man comment.

[quote]I guess assuming that you would read what I said was too much, because that next sentence seemed to me to be a very clear explanation of what the difference between what I said earlier and what you said were...

Right after you said that you proceeded to say that my tastes in games is bad, which completely contradicts what you just said to me about what I said to you.

There, I wrote a sentence ABF-style!

Quote:Well all I can say to that is to repeat that your taste in good games is bizarre.

Case in point! You're so full of contradictions it's amazing.

Quote:It was huge... as the series progressed things were added -- sliding, charging your shot, Rush, collecting 'money' to buy items (used in Mega Man 4 and 5 on GB as well as, I believe, 7, 8 and MM vs Bass)... then X came and changed so much -- collecting armor parts, wall climbing, different characters (in the later X games), different armors that have different powers, ducking (finally added in X5...)... I know that the basic fundamentals are the same and the extras they added just improve on that, but I love the base gameplay of Mega Man. I own 6 Mega Man games and have played a lot of more than 5 others... and still love the series and don't want it to change much.

When they try to 'innovate' Mega Man we get Legends... That's why I'm concerned about X7 on PS2 -- its 3d... I really hope its done well, but I don't really expect it to be the same (or as good)... which is too bad.

You don't like the gameplay of the series, obviously, so I can certainly see why you wouldn't understand.

I love Mega Man, and I've been playing Mega Man games longer than you have (since you told me that you got into games at an older age than me). It was great for a few years when the sequels started coming out and the gameplay was still the exact same, but after the fifth or sixth game I started thinking "What the fuck? Hey I love these games but why won't they change the gameplay a bit??". When Mega Man X came out and Capcom started hyping it as if it were this incredible new era for Mega Man with some drastic gameplay changes, I was terribly dissapointed that the gameplay was still basically the same as it was before, albeit more refined. You still couldn't aim up. You still can't today. And don't tell me that it's part of what Mega Man is, because that is BS.

And believe me ABF, I am not the only one that feels this way. Many many gamers are with me on this one.

As you get farther in the game, it shows you how to do more and more moves... at first Mario just runs and jumps, but as you progress you get his acrobatics -- handstand (he can bounce barrels off his feet instead of being squashed), walking on ropes and swinging on them (and launching you into the air), double and triple jumps, flips, and some more... they were really cool and, as I said before, when I played Mario 64 I was reminded of DK because of them being in that game too...

Oh, and yeah, DJ , the game is like that... you have to solve a puzzle in each level to get the key in that level to the door in that level... and therea re all kinds of things you use -- blocks and walls you can place in the level that last for a specific amount of time, springs you can move, enemies (sometimes you have to stand on enemies to get over areas...). And, of course, the everpresent key.. which, if left on the ground for a few seconds, blinks and goes back to where it starts in the level. Well, 3/4ths of the levels are like that. Every 4th level is one where you have to toss barrels at DK -- that part of the game is like the old arcade game... sorta, but even that is made more puzzlish to fit the game's style. Its also a long game... some of the puzzles are really hard... I remember some I was stuck on for a really long time...

OB1, either admit you haven't really played the game or go play it and see what we mean. I won't spend any more time trying to prove the blatantly obvious to anyone who vaguely remembers the game.

Quote:Dude, I used to have the game before I sold all of my GB stuff. I just have different standards for what makes a game different than you do. Just look at your Mega Man comment.

*fixes spelling errors*

Umm... I said that all the Mega Man games are still very similar at the base, and that only extra stuff is added on top of that... like sliding, or wall-climbing, or collecting parts as well as subtanks... and that Mega Man is still esentially the same as it always has been... and that is exactly what I like about it! I've been playing Mega Man games for a long time (the first one I ever played was MM4 on a friend's NES), and still love the series...

Oh, and I do know lots of people think the series needed more change a long time ago. I'm just not one of them... when I think of 'Change in Mega Man' I think of Legends and know that its not a good idea in general...

Oh, and by the way, DK '94 doesn't fit that example at all. It is about as similar to DK as Mario Bros. (the arcade game) is to The Lost Vikings... Actually, that's a very good analogy -- action/arcade game on one screen with one level to puzzle/action game with a big scrolling map and dozens of levels... compared to action/arcade game on one screen with 4 levels compared to puzzle/action game on a big scrolling map with 100 levels... very, very similar. Right. Rolleyes

Quote:Case in point! You're so full of contradictions it's amazing.

I am not contradicting myself... it just gets hard to keep explaining what I mean again and again as you keep not understanding what I'm saying...

In Mega Man and Bass you can aim up and diagonally, but it's a new ability that only Bass has.

Quote:Originally posted by A Black Falcon
As you get farther in the game, it shows you how to do more and more moves... at first Mario just runs and jumps, but as you progress you get his acrobatics -- handstand (he can bounce barrels off his feet instead of being squashed), walking on ropes and swinging on them (and launching you into the air), double and triple jumps, flips, and some more... they were really cool and, as I said before, when I played Mario 64 I was reminded of DK because of them being in that game too...

Oh, and yeah, DJ , the game is like that... you have to solve a puzzle in each level to get the key in that level to the door in that level... and therea re all kinds of things you use -- blocks and walls you can place in the level that last for a specific amount of time, springs you can move, enemies (sometimes you have to stand on enemies to get over areas...). And, of course, the everpresent key.. which, if left on the ground for a few seconds, blinks and goes back to where it starts in the level. Well, 3/4ths of the levels are like that. Every 4th level is one where you have to toss barrels at DK -- that part of the game is like the old arcade game... sorta, but even that is made more puzzlish to fit the game's style. Its also a long game... some of the puzzles are really hard... I remember some I was stuck on for a really long time...

OB1, either admit you haven't really played the game or go play it and see what we mean. I won't spend any more time trying to prove the blatantly obvious to anyone who vaguely remembers the game.

*sigh*

It's a never-ending line of repetition with you, ABF. I used to have the game, and I'm well aware of those things that you have stated. But I still consider DK GB to be a an extended port of the original DK game. And as I said before, you can think differently if you want to.

You really do have a problem with people thinking differently than you, don't you? You poor, petty boy.

Quote:Umm... I said that all the Mega Man games are still very similar at the base, and that only extra stuff is added on top of that... like sliding, or wall-climbing, or collecting parts as well as subtanks... and that Mega Man is still esentially the same as it always has been... and that is exactly what I like about it! I've been playing Mega Man games for a long time (the first one I ever played was MM4 on a friend's NES), and still love the series...

You also said that MMX was a HUGE change in the series. I started playing them when MM1 came out, which was when I was four. I still like the games, but I hate it how Capcom just recycles them over and over.

Quote:Oh, and I do know lots of people think the series needed more change a long time ago. I'm just not one of them... when I think of 'Change in Mega Man' I think of Legends and know that its not a good idea in general...

Legends was crap, but it doesn't mean that change has to be bad. Look at the Castlevania series as an example. Konami always changed things with the series (the second game was quite different from the first one, for example), even if it was just a simple matter of stealing ideas from other games (like Super Metroid). But if there's any game worth stealing ideas from, Super Metroid is it. There have been three Super Metroid-like Castlevania games so far (soon to be four), and Konami plans on changing the series again with the upcoming PS2 installment. I am positive that Capcom could change Mega Man for the better. They just have to try harder. Hell just copy Jet Force Gemini and I'll be happy. I'm sick of the repetition.

Quote:I am not contradicting myself... it just gets hard to keep explaining what I mean again and again as you keep not understanding what I'm saying...

That doesn't make any sense. It has nothing to do with what I was talking about. First you say that I have bad taste in games, then I say that you have bad taste in games, then you say that it's all subjective, then I say that I know that and was trying to get you to admit it, then you say that you knew that and were also playing along, and then you say that I have bad taste in games again.

Nice sentence, huh? You're a never-ending contradiction, ABF.

In Mega Man and Bass you can aim up and diagonally, but it's a new ability that only Bass has.

Weee...

That's Capcom's idea of innovation.