Tendo City
Bill Gates announces external HD DVD drive for Xbox 360 - Printable Version

+- Tendo City (https://www.tendocity.net)
+-- Forum: Tendo City: Metropolitan District (https://www.tendocity.net/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+--- Forum: Tendo City (https://www.tendocity.net/forumdisplay.php?fid=42)
+--- Thread: Bill Gates announces external HD DVD drive for Xbox 360 (/showthread.php?tid=3433)

Bill Gates announces external HD DVD drive for Xbox 360 - Paco - 4th January 2006

This is so fucking retarded

Quote:Highlighting key consumer products such as Xbox 360™ and offering the first broad demonstration of the consumer features of Windows Vista™, Microsoft Corp. Chairman and Chief Software Architect Bill Gates showed how the company is delivering on its vision for a digital lifestyle where devices, services and applications work together seamlessly. In his 10th annual keynote address at the 2006 International Consumer Electronics Show (CES) in Las Vegas, Gates demonstrated how Microsoft® Windows Vista, Xbox 360, new mobile devices and the emerging wave of software-based services will deliver more connected and richly personalized experiences for consumers.

In his keynote, Gates said that the consumer electronics industry is poised to deliver a quantum leap forward in rich, interactive, high-definition experiences.

“Technology has revolutionized how we listen to music, watch TV, play games, communicate, and manage and share personal information,” he said. “In the years ahead, further exciting innovations will unify the software, hardware and services in people’s lives, offering them even richer, more engaging and deeply connected experiences.”

Just a month after the global launch of the new Xbox 360 video game and entertainment system, Gates discussed the product’s strong momentum in delivering high-definition hardware, games and digital entertainment experiences. Xbox 360 is on track to be the fastest-selling video game console ever, forecast to ship between 4.5 million and 5.5 million units worldwide by the end of June 2006.

Gates noted that Xbox 360 has also become a powerful application for high-definition television, adding that nine out of 10 Xbox 360 owners currently own or intend to purchase a high-definition television set.* He announced that more than 50 new high-definition Xbox 360™ games will be available by June 2006.

HD DVD for Xbox 360 http://media.teamxbox.com/dailyposts/hd-dvd/hd-dvd_disc_30gb.jpg

Building on Xbox 360 leadership in high-definition experiences, the company announced plans to deliver a new Xbox 360 external HD DVD drive in 2006. The new drive will offer millions of Xbox 360 owners the ability to easily enjoy HD DVD movies and will provide consumers with even more choices for experiencing high-definition content, in either physical or digital form.

Using Xbox 360 and the Xbox Live service today, consumers are already able to access high-definition entertainment such as Xbox Live Arcade titles, game demos and high-definition movie trailers. Consumers can also use their Xbox 360 system to access high-definition television and movies from their Windows XP-based Media Center PC.

Gates’ keynote also showcased the momentum behind Xbox Live, announcing that more than half of all Xbox 360 owners are already connected to the online games and entertainment service, which boasts a worldwide community of more than 2 million members.

He demonstrated Electronic Arts Inc.’s forthcoming EA SPORTS™ “Fight Night Round 3,” scheduled to be available in February 2006, and announced that a free, playable high-definition demo of the game is now available at the Xbox Live Marketplace, a one-stop digital download center where consumers can access high-definition games, music and movie content from leading industry partners.

http://news.teamxbox.com/xbox/9995/Bill-Gates-Announces-External-HD-DVD-Drive-for-Xbox-360

I don't believe it, I really can't believe they would do something so stupid. This will do nothing more than get them some really negative PR. If the games end up using this then I hope Microsoft implodes.

Bill Gates announces external HD DVD drive for Xbox 360 - Great Rumbler - 4th January 2006

Have they learned NOTHING?!

Bill Gates announces external HD DVD drive for Xbox 360 - Paco - 4th January 2006

Okay, I'm going to have to find all the details but something was said about legally copying HD-DVD movies from your HD-DVD player on your PC to the Xbox 360 harddrive. I suppose that's a bit of a silver lining...

Oh, and Street Fighter 2 is coming to Xbox Live Arcade by March. Just thought I'd throw that in here as it has TXB going crazy. (I never liked SF very much)

Bill Gates announces external HD DVD drive for Xbox 360 - Great Rumbler - 4th January 2006

SFII is pretty good, but not something I'd go crazy over.

Someone else summed it up...

Quote:Yes, you will be able to make legal copies of every HD-DVD to your hard drive, then stream that from media center to your 360. So you could have all your TV show seasons and movies just a click away when your on your 360, so badass.

I guess that does sound pretty cool, but to do that I need a Media Center PC. It's all starting to make sense. Microsoft made sure the 360 and Media Center PC's worked very well together (from what I hear it's totally badass). If you have a HD DVD equipped PC (with XP MCE) then you can stream that to your 360 -OR- just buy the HD DVD drive for the 360.

Secondly, Bill Gates said that web delivered HD content was the future (when speaking about HDDVD and Blu-Ray). Download everything to your PC, then stream it to your 360 to watch it on your TV.

I still wonder how DirecTV fits into this.

In any case, an already equipped Blu-Ray PS3 sounds more inticing.

It probably won't be cheap though.

Just found out that there is a new device from Pulse that enables wireless streaming of HD content from PCs or the 360 (or other set top boxes) to a HDTV.

It doesn't sound cheap at all, though it looks as if Microsoft is trying to approach this from many different angles. I wonder how it will all work out...

Bill Gates announces external HD DVD drive for Xbox 360 - Dark Jaguar - 4th January 2006

My word...

They did GREAT with the XBox design, they simply integrated all the things that otherwise would have been add-ons directly into the system and never bothered releasing add-ons for it (aside from custom controllers some games had).

It seems they have decided good design just wasn't their style...

In the end, I think a few games may support it but it won't take off. I really don't see anyone actually being interested in this. They will need to be motivated to buy it.

What advantage does this give? Superior texture storage? PC games are still using CD-ROMS last I checked and they seem to be doing fine with high resolution textures (they should at least be moving on to DVD though, that I've been saying for a while, I'm sick of buying games that come on 5 CDs).

So, MS, you went and pulled a Sega... Oh well, we'll see how this turns out.

And now, a word from our sponsors...

http://khanvaderagony.ytmnd.com/

DMiller, I think this is for movie playback only.

That's not DMiller...

sorry, I just glanced at the name and saw the d...sorry.

Bill Gates announces external HD DVD drive for Xbox 360 - Dark Jaguar - 5th January 2006

What sort of glance nets only a single letter of information?

Also, I really have doubts as to this being purely for movies. If it was just for movies, they would just release the device by itself with the movie playback feature built in. They'd call it an HD-DVD player.

Bill Gates announces external HD DVD drive for Xbox 360 - Paco - 5th January 2006

I scrolled right past your name only seeing a D. I assumed it was DMiller.

A drive is going to be cheaper than a player.

"The new drive will offer millions of Xbox 360 owners the ability to easily enjoy HD DVD movies and will provide consumers with even more choices for experiencing high-definition content, in either physical or digital form."

He doesn't specify games, but does outright say that movies are supported. Again, I very much doubt this will be used for games.

Bill Gates announces external HD DVD drive for Xbox 360 - lazyfatbum - 5th January 2006

I never thought i'd see the day where MS just blatently comes out and says "...and once people buy our thousands of dollars worth of equipment our brand will dominate your entertainment lifestyle".

This stuff seems to be just a high end option for people with way too much money and time on their hands. If you already have the set up then great, but otherwise this just seems stupid to me

Bill Gates announces external HD DVD drive for Xbox 360 - A Black Falcon - 5th January 2006

SFII is good, but I prefer Super SFII (or Super SFII Turbo)...

As for this, I expect it'll be movies only also... it would be pretty stupid to have it for games too, given how poorly most addons do compared to the main system... is this a bad idea? Hmm... maybe, not sure. They're clearly doing it to try to counter the PS3's Blu-Ray... but will it work? Costing quite a bit extra and being external puts them at a decided disadvantage...

Bill Gates announces external HD DVD drive for Xbox 360 - The Former DMiller - 5th January 2006

A Black Falcon Wrote:SFII is good, but I prefer Super SFII (or Super SFII Turbo)...

Yeah, Super SFII Turbo is definitely the best version of the game. I loved the game in the arcade (I don't think it was exactly SFII Turbo) and I found the SNES game used for $10. Best $10 I ever spent.

Bill Gates announces external HD DVD drive for Xbox 360 - A Black Falcon - 5th January 2006

The SNES game is Super SFII, not Super SFII Turbo... Turbo was only at home on 3D0 (though now it's also available on GBA and PSX, and the 'Hyper SFII' version that includes all the versions of all the characters is on PS2 and Xbox). Anyway, Super SFII for SNES is a great game, definitely... it's too bad that it's missing SFII:SCE (Genesis) and SFII Turbo's Turbo mode (10 levels of turbo on Genesis, 3 or 4 or SNES I think...), but oh well... the additional characters are worth it.

Super SFII Turbo added, I believe, power bars for super moves and Akuma... makes me want a version of it (or Hyper SFII), despite the fact that I have normal Super SFII. It's the final version of the game (Hyper could be considered that, but it just lets you play as all the previous versions of the characters and doesn't actually change them), after all, and SFII is quite probably the best fighting game...

Bill Gates announces external HD DVD drive for Xbox 360 - Paco - 5th January 2006

lazyfatbum Wrote:I never thought i'd see the day where MS just blatently comes out and says "...and once people buy our thousands of dollars worth of equipment our brand will dominate your entertainment lifestyle".

This stuff seems to be just a high end option for people with way too much money and time on their hands. If you already have the set up then great, but otherwise this just seems stupid to me
I agree, however I think in time it will all prove its worth.

Windows Vista will be out by the end of this year and Media Center is said to be fully integrated and improved. Movies and tvshows (Microsoft has an agreement with DirecTV plus there are already other movie services for web download, Starz Vongo and Movielink), music (Microsoft partnered with MTV to create a new music service, URGE), and then of course photos and other media. It makes sense to keep all this stuff in one place where you can organize and edit it. It's inevitable that Vista will have a large userbase as it's practically a given as people continue to buy PCs.

HDTV will be the standard in time. They are getting cheaper and HD content will be in demand. Not that you need a HDTV to take advantage of of the PC+360 extendability.

The 360 acts as an interface between the two. Imagine accessing all your saved tv shows, photos, family videos, music, etc from your couch as you flip through it with a remote and watch it all on your TV.

From what I understand you don't need a 360 to get your PC content to stream to your TV, just that you'd still be controlling it from your PC. Then the 360, I suppose, becomes an accessory for the PC if you're not interested in games.

The name makes more sense now. It really does encompass all of the entertainment media. That and the core makes more sense, too.

I think it's all really neat. Expensive right now because it's all relatively new, but it'll all come down in price over the years.

EDIT: There are alread Media Center extender hubs available for around $200-300. The 360 acts in the same way, but with games. I suppose this is part of that casual crowd Microsoft was talking about reaching out to.

Bill Gates announces external HD DVD drive for Xbox 360 - The Former DMiller - 5th January 2006

A Black Falcon Wrote:The SNES game is Super SFII, not Super SFII Turbo... Turbo was only at home on 3D0 (though now it's also available on GBA and PSX, and the 'Hyper SFII' version that includes all the versions of all the characters is on PS2 and Xbox). Anyway, Super SFII for SNES is a great game, definitely... it's too bad that it's missing SFII:SCE (Genesis) and SFII Turbo's Turbo mode (10 levels of turbo on Genesis, 3 or 4 or SNES I think...), but oh well... the additional characters are worth it.

I just checked and the game I have is Street Fighter II Turbo, no Super. There are so many versions of Street Fighter I get them all confused. :)

Bill Gates announces external HD DVD drive for Xbox 360 - Dark Jaguar - 5th January 2006

Super came out after that, and it DOES have turbo speeds, just not as many as the Turbo version.

Super SFII does NOT have turbo. I have it for SNES. There is no turbo mode. Only Street Fighter II: Special Champion Edition, Street Fighter II Turbo, Super Street Fighter II Turbo, and presumably Hyper Street Fighter II (haven't played that one...) have turbo modes.

Yes, SFII does have a bunch of versions, but it's easy enough to tell most of them apart... the first one has 8 characters, SCE and Turbo have 12 (those two are harder to tell apart, I'm not exactly sure what exactly is different between them... I do know that Turbo has a bunch of colors per character though, while SCE just has two colors each), Super has 16 (with 8 colors per character), and Super Turbo has 16 with turbo, Akuma as the new final boss, and power meters... it's like every time they patched the game they released it as a new title... annoying... add just enough to get people to want to pay, with minimal effort needed!

... oh wait, that's the key to videogame company success? Right.

Oh, the version coming out for Xbox Live Arcade is Street Fighter II Turbo...Link

"Street Fighter II Hyper Fighting"? Um, yeah, that's Turbo's name, if you leave out the word "Turbo"...

Bah, Super is better. Without Cammy in the game, I'm stuck with Blanka...

Bill Gates announces external HD DVD drive for Xbox 360 - Smoke - 7th January 2006

Moore: HD-DVD add-on for movies, not games

They're not that stupid.

Bill Gates announces external HD DVD drive for Xbox 360 - Dark Jaguar - 10th January 2006

Actually, just played it. Super SF2 does have turbo. Not very much. When the screen says "press start", press left and right and you get stars under the screen and the title changes colors. It goes up to 3 stars. The speed increase isn't nearly as much as you can get from Turbo, but it's noticable.

Bill Gates announces external HD DVD drive for Xbox 360 - A Black Falcon - 10th January 2006

Smoke, as people are saying, that's what they're saying now...

DJ: You're right about the three levels of turbo in Super SFII, cool... though you're also right that it doesn't come even close to the level of turbo available in Turbo or Special Champion Edition on the Genesis (or, I presume, Super SFII Turbo...). Better than nothing though...

Bill Gates announces external HD DVD drive for Xbox 360 - Great Rumbler - 11th January 2006

Apparently there's going to be a Bluray add-on for the 360 as well.

Bill Gates announces external HD DVD drive for Xbox 360 - Paco - 11th January 2006

Moore said that if HD-DVD fails then they'll go with a Blu-Ray add-on.