Tendo City
It's Not My Trick...It's My Illusion! (The Arrested Development Thread) - Printable Version

+- Tendo City (https://www.tendocity.net)
+-- Forum: Tendo City: Metropolitan District (https://www.tendocity.net/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+--- Forum: Ramble City (https://www.tendocity.net/forumdisplay.php?fid=44)
+--- Thread: It's Not My Trick...It's My Illusion! (The Arrested Development Thread) (/showthread.php?tid=3408)

It's Not My Trick...It's My Illusion! (The Arrested Development Thread) - The Former DMiller - 21st December 2005

So I know a few people here watch the greatest show on TV so I thought it was time for a thread dedicated to Arrested Development. What have you guys thought of season 3 so far? I wasn't the biggest fan of the Rita storyline since it focused too much on Michael and Rita and didn't allow the rest of the family to shine. AD is at it's best when every family member is part of the show. That is why I thought the most recent episode, Making a Stand, was the best of the season. Lucille's makeover was frightening, Michael and GOB had their competition with George Michael and Steve Holt, Maeby had to find her movie monster, George Sr. had his Boy Fights videos and took part in the lesson with J. Walter Weatherman, Tobias and Lindsey had their divorce proceedings with Bob Loblaw (Bob Loblaw's law blog Chuckle ), and, of course, Buster had his awesome lesson at the end of the episode. That last part with Buster really made the episode for me.

Anyway, what is everybody's favorite episode of AD? I would have to say Good Grief from season 2 would be my favorite, but Afternoon Delight and Key Decisions are pretty good too. I'd also say that GOB is my favorite character, but you can't really go wrong picking a favorite character from Arrested Development.

It's Not My Trick...It's My Illusion! (The Arrested Development Thread) - Great Rumbler - 21st December 2005

"And that's why you don't use a one-armed man to teach lessons!"

It's Not My Trick...It's My Illusion! (The Arrested Development Thread) - EdenMaster - 21st December 2005

"It's not stupid. You're stupid."
"Nice pout, Dad!!"

I think Season 3 is exceptional so far, just like seasons 1 and 2 :D. I liked the Rita storyline, but an episode with everyone involved is always great. Looking back at some of the older Rita episodes, her MRF status is shown subtly in ways they didn't even cover in the recap. When Gob gave her the roofie and left her on the Wee Britain bench, Michael found her sitting up, cleverly obscuring the "it" from Britian. Wee Brain :D. I'd have to say Gob is my favorite too, but George Michael and the Narrator are close runners-up.

"Gob had opened a new frozen banana stand, like, 20 feet from the old frozen banana stand."

God bless this show, there's nothing like it :D.

It's Not My Trick...It's My Illusion! (The Arrested Development Thread) - Great Rumbler - 21st December 2005

The funniest characters on the show are Lucille, Buster, Gob, and Tobias.

It's Not My Trick...It's My Illusion! (The Arrested Development Thread) - EdenMaster - 21st December 2005

Oh, you've gotta give some credit to George Michael. Half of his laughs are just from throwaway lines that he tosses in there between other punchlines. He's just so clueless and messed up :D.

Gob is the funniest one there though, but only slightly. They're all hilarious.

"If you feel something moving down there it's just the bird!"
"I know..."

*bird walks out from behind Gob on the counter*

It's Not My Trick...It's My Illusion! (The Arrested Development Thread) - The Former DMiller - 21st December 2005

George Michael is great. I love the nervousness there is in so many of his lines.

"What a fun, sexy time for you."

It's Not My Trick...It's My Illusion! (The Arrested Development Thread) - Paco - 23rd December 2005

Lindsay: "Did you enjoy your meal, mother? You drank it fast enough."
Lucille: "Not as much as you enjoyed yours. You want your belt to buckle, not your chair."

A waiter asked: "Plate or platter?"
Lucille: "I don't understand the question and I won't respond to it."

Michael: "Why are you squeezing me with your body?"
Lucille: "It's a hug, Michael. I'm hugging you."

Lucille: "I'll be in the hospital bar."
Michael: "Uhh, you know, there isn't a hospital bar, mother."
Lucille: "Well, this is why people hate hospitals."

Favorite quotes by character:
Lindsay's my favorite..."I fought for you" (when kitty knocked her out),
"You know, we're not the only ones destroying trees. What about beavers? You call yourself an environmentalist, why don't you go club a few beavers?"
"Michael, if this is a lecture on how we're all supposed to whatever and blah-blah-blah, well, you can save it, because we all know it by heart."
"I'm tired of trying to find happiness through lies and self-medicating. If you need me, I'll be at the bar."

Gob: "No! I was ashamed to be seen with you. I like being with you.

Tobias was a riot when he played as Mrs. Featherbottom. Especially when he tried to use an umbrella to make a graceful entrance in to the living area from the staircase, and ended up smashing into the coffee table.

I'll update more as I remember them.:D

I need to buy those on DVD...it's so fucking sad that it was canceled.

It's Not My Trick...It's My Illusion! (The Arrested Development Thread) - Great Rumbler - 24th December 2005

"Everyone's laughing, and riding, and cornholing except Buster."

Lucille has to be my favorite character on the show.

It's Not My Trick...It's My Illusion! (The Arrested Development Thread) - The Former DMiller - 24th December 2005

Paco Wrote:I need to buy those on DVD...it's so fucking sad that it was canceled.

Not necessarily canceled yet. The rumors are that ABC and Showtime are both very interested in picking up AD from Fox. The hitching point right now is that ABC is worried that the show doesn't get good enough ratings for network television while Showtime is worried the show is too expensive for cable. I don't care where AD goes because I will pay for Showtime just to watch a fourth season of Arrested Development.

My favorite Lucille moment:

Lucille: Here Buster, have a candy bar.
<i>Lucille pulls away the candy bar.</i>
Lucille: No, I'm withholding it. Look at me...getting off.

My sister and I quote that part all the time. It is delivered perfectly.

It's Not My Trick...It's My Illusion! (The Arrested Development Thread) - Great Rumbler - 24th December 2005

Lucille: Be careful, that coat cost more than your house! What? That's how we joke! She doesn't even have a house.

It's Not My Trick...It's My Illusion! (The Arrested Development Thread) - EdenMaster - 24th December 2005

I think it's now a running joke that in most every episode, someone has to say "Her?" at least once :D. Now that Ann is gone, they find some way to queeze it in all the same.

Also, they teased us with Annyong at the end of one episode but he hasn't been back since. I demand the return of Annyong!

Gob: I think people are going to know that Annyong is--
Annyong: Annyong!
Gob: WOULD SOMEBODY PLEASE SHUT UP THIS INSUFFERABLE CHILD!!

It's Not My Trick...It's My Illusion! (The Arrested Development Thread) - The Former DMiller - 24th December 2005

Buster: You didn’t let me play soccer as a child. Why should I have to sit and cheer Annyong? Annyong never cheers me.

Annyong: Go, fatty.

It's Not My Trick...It's My Illusion! (The Arrested Development Thread) - The Former DMiller - 2nd January 2006

So who caught tonight's episode? I'll have to watch it again to know for sure how much I liked it (thank goodness for torrents), but I thought it was great, probably the best of season 3, and one of the best of the series. I loved that they used every single cliche TV shows stoop to during sweeps week (guest stars, 3D, character dying, live episode) to really stick it to TV in general. I also loved that Lindsey and Buster finally had an extending scene together. "Sister's my new mommy mother!"

I loved the racist old lady.
"You could charm the black off a telegram boy."
Ron Howard: "Okay, she's the one who dies."

Finally, I loved the propositioning of HBO and Showtime:
Michael: Hey, so what’s going on with the fund-raiser?
George Sr.: Well, I don’t think the Home Builders Organization is going to be supporting us.
Michael: Yeah, the HBO’s not going to want us. What do we do now?
George Sr.: Well, I think it’s show time. I think we have to have a show during dinner.

I don't have HBO or Showtime, but I would seriously thinking of getting one of them if Arrested Development moves to one of those networks. It sounds like Showtime is more likely than HBO, though.

It's Not My Trick...It's My Illusion! (The Arrested Development Thread) - EdenMaster - 3rd January 2006

<b>Bob Loblaw lobs law bomb</b>

I had heard the HBO and Showtime line was going to be coming up soon :D.

Oh, I totally agree with you Derek, this was without question one of their better episodes. The part with Gob throwing the tomato in #d, the Richter quintuplets (one of whom won't show his face), the live ending, Hot Ham Water, and "You're a robot!" *hand falls off*.

Oh yeah, I'm definitely downloading that episode. I could watch it over and over and STILL find something new every time, I bet.

It's Not My Trick...It's My Illusion! (The Arrested Development Thread) - The Former DMiller - 14th January 2006

It's Not My Trick...It's My Illusion! (The Arrested Development Thread) - EdenMaster - 14th January 2006

From <a href="http://www.ew.com/ew/report/0,6115,1148667_3|89677||0_0_,00.html">Entertainment Weekly</a>:

Quote:<b>Too soon to tell?</b>
The ''Arrested Development'' Death-O-Meter -- We track the chances of the Fox sitcom's revival by Dan Snierson

Proof there's a (comedy) God: ABC and Showtime have made offers to air a fourth season of our favorite endangered sitcom.

Well, seems that there is perhaps some light at the end of the tunnel, eh hermano?

It's Not My Trick...It's My Illusion! (The Arrested Development Thread) - The Former DMiller - 14th January 2006

Who's this hermano? I was worried that there was still some light coming in from under the door, but if it's light at the end of the tunnel I have no problem with that.

It's Not My Trick...It's My Illusion! (The Arrested Development Thread) - EdenMaster - 14th January 2006

That hermano bit is one of my favorite scenes.

Gob: Is Marta there? If she's there say nobody!
Michael: Nobody.
Gob: Well now I don't know what's going on! Have you found anything out about that guy, what was his name again?
Michael: *whispers* Hermano...
Gob: Hermano!!
Marta: Is that your brother?
Michael: No, no, he just went upstairs, remember?

It's Not My Trick...It's My Illusion! (The Arrested Development Thread) - Great Rumbler - 14th January 2006

I hope ABC or Showtime picks it up and gives it a good home for many years to come.

I don't know which one I hope gets the show.

On one hand, ABC would make it more accessable to the people who don't seem to want to watch it. ABC could try a more aggressive marketing campaign, with perhaps some more reruns shown to catch up people (since so much of the shows humor relies on it's earlier work).

However, being on cable would afford them a great deal more freedom. Not having to bleep words or censor their already quite racy content for network TV would let the writers flex their creative muscles to the maximum, making the show potentially even funnier than it is now. Cable has less viewers, but Showtime isn't dumb. They know that AD has one of the most religious followings in TV sitcom history, and every fan of AD who doesn't susbcribe to Showtime will if they pick up Arrested. And while 4 or 5 million viewers is chicken scratch for a major network, on cable, that's called a smash hit.

So, I'm torn. Either way, it looks like there may be a fun, sexy time ahead for us Arrested fans.

It's Not My Trick...It's My Illusion! (The Arrested Development Thread) - The Former DMiller - 15th January 2006

I would certainly get Showtime just to watch this show. Although sometime the censoring works to the show's favor. Would GOB's sexual harassment speech be as funny without all the bleeps?

It's Not My Trick...It's My Illusion! (The Arrested Development Thread) - EdenMaster - 15th January 2006

DMiller Wrote:I would certainly get Showtime just to watch this show. Although sometime the censoring works to the show's favor. Would GOB's sexual harassment speech be as funny without all the bleeps?

Okay, that I'll grant you.

It's Not My Trick...It's My Illusion! (The Arrested Development Thread) - Great Rumbler - 15th January 2006

Or what about Buster's incredibly long, bleep-filled rant about Lucille?

It's Not My Trick...It's My Illusion! (The Arrested Development Thread) - The Former DMiller - 15th January 2006

You old horny slut! Just watched that one tonight with my friend who I just got hooked on the show. He went home with my first and second season DVDs. Another one brought into the fold. :)

It's Not My Trick...It's My Illusion! (The Arrested Development Thread) - EdenMaster - 16th January 2006

Michael: ...Well no one going to top that.

It's Not My Trick...It's My Illusion! (The Arrested Development Thread) - The Former DMiller - 10th February 2006

Well, it looks like tonight might be it. At least we get to gorge ourselves with 4 episodes. I'm having a few friends over (the ones who like AD are my only good friends :)), and I made frozen bananas. Should be fun.

It's Not My Trick...It's My Illusion! (The Arrested Development Thread) - Great Rumbler - 10th February 2006

This is it, boys!

It's Not My Trick...It's My Illusion! (The Arrested Development Thread) - EdenMaster - 10th February 2006

DMiller Wrote:I made frozen bananas.

You rule! Are they frozen banana's that WON'T make you sick and kill you?

Fear not lads! The future looks bright for AD on another network, and if there truly is a God, he won't left tonight be the "Series Finale"!!!!

It's Not My Trick...It's My Illusion! (The Arrested Development Thread) - Great Rumbler - 10th February 2006

Imagine the impact if that had come on as soon as I turned on the TV!

It's Not My Trick...It's My Illusion! (The Arrested Development Thread) - EdenMaster - 10th February 2006

Man, in those last two episodes they pulled out ALL the stops!

My favorite line, which I hope is a hint:

Ron Howard: It won't work as a series...but maybe a movie.

"Are those police boats?"

Oh man, those last four episodes were so funny! :D

It's Not My Trick...It's My Illusion! (The Arrested Development Thread) - The Former DMiller - 11th February 2006

I loved that they finally addressed where GOB lived. I had always wondered that after he broke up with Marta. It was also cool that they used Jason Bateman's real sister to play his possible long-lost sister on the show.

It's Not My Trick...It's My Illusion! (The Arrested Development Thread) - EdenMaster - 11th February 2006

Like Derek, I now devote my signature to the death (or coma (or is it just faking?)?) of Arrested Development.

It's Not My Trick...It's My Illusion! (The Arrested Development Thread) - Great Rumbler - 11th February 2006

Pete Rose going in head first!

It's Not My Trick...It's My Illusion! (The Arrested Development Thread) - EdenMaster - 12th March 2006

This just in from Sudden Valley:

http://www.tv.com/story/story.html&story_id=3475
Quote:<b>Showtime to pick up Arrested Development?</b>

Will the Showtime go on?

<i>The New York Post's</i> Page Six gossip column reports that cable network Showtime has picked up 26 episodes of the canceled cult sitcom Arrested Development. The show was axed by Fox after three seasons of Emmy-winning hilarity due to perennially low ratings. Neither network had anything to say officially.

In January, Showtime president Peter Greenblat told reporters at the Television Critics Association press tour that his network was seriously considering picking up the show.

"I always thought it was probably a better fit on a cable network than on a broadcast network," Greenblatt said. "And you know, in fact, I think it really does fit in with a lot of the things that we're doing."

The deal was contingent upon the involvement of show creator Mitchell Hurwitz--at the time, he was having reservations about continuing with the show after three years of stressful dealings with Fox.

"I think he's the genius behind it, and he hasn't yet come to that decision to continue the show," Greenblatt said of Hurwitz.

Arrested Development averaged around 4 million viewers a week in its third and final season, paltry by broadcast TV standards but huge for a cable network like Showtime. In contrast, Weeds, a popular Showtimes series, averages less than 500,000 viewers a week. Even king of the cable hill HBO commands only a few million viewers per week for its non-Sopranos shows--the Mafia-inspired drama, which returns March 16, garners 10 million to 11 million viewers a week.

The wheels on the stair-car seem to moving...lets hope it's true.

It's Not My Trick...It's My Illusion! (The Arrested Development Thread) - The Former DMiller - 12th March 2006

Yeah, the rumor for the past week was that the deal has been finalized, but so far there hasn't been an official announcement. I'm dying to know whether I need to find some extra money to get Showtime.

It's Not My Trick...It's My Illusion! (The Arrested Development Thread) - EdenMaster - 12th March 2006

The article makes some good points though. The content of AD fits well with Showtime's other series, and 4 million viewers (most of which, such as you, Derek, will sign up just for it, and you know that Showtime is thinking that too.) is a big, big audience for a cable network. I mean, even the Soprano's, the biggest show on cable, has only 10 million. Network hits like Survivor and CSI garner 40 million easily.

It's Not My Trick...It's My Illusion! (The Arrested Development Thread) - Great Rumbler - 12th March 2006

I wish they'd just go ahead and make an official announcement.