Tendo City
Perfect Dark Zero is GOOD - Printable Version

+- Tendo City (https://www.tendocity.net)
+-- Forum: Tendo City: Metropolitan District (https://www.tendocity.net/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+--- Forum: Tendo City (https://www.tendocity.net/forumdisplay.php?fid=42)
+--- Thread: Perfect Dark Zero is GOOD (/showthread.php?tid=3352)

Pages: 1 2

Perfect Dark Zero is GOOD - Smoke - 19th November 2005

The King is dead. Long live the King.

1up.com Impressions
Quote:Where did the day go? I stepped away from PDZ's singleplayer missions to hop online against Microsoft on Xbox Live an hour ago. Now I look out my window and it's dark as night outside. In short, PDZ is a blast online. We only played free-for-all and team deathmatch, as well as capture-the-flag with a bunch of editors, testers, and bots.

What's immediately impressive about the multiplayer mode (and I imagine this stands for the game in offline, splitscreen as well) is that the bots behave mostly realistically. They hang back in groups at choke points on maps and take shots from behind cover, as well as take plenty of aggressive opportunity to rush objectives, especially if they see little in the way of defense. I've even had a bot creep up behind me while sniping and whack me on the back of the head. Since there aren't a whole lot of "real" PDZ players online at the moment, we mostly had to resort to creating large 16 player games with a mix of bots and humans. At one time, we put all player characters on the Dark team against all bots as Datadyne on the hardest difficulty, and we got a royal spanking from the A.I. From my hands-on time so far, the bots don't appear to be too cheap with their tactics or shoot with amazing accuracy.
Quote:So does it feel like Halo 2 multiplayer? Not really. It feels more like a faster, crazier version of Perfect Dark on N64, this time with near-perfect framerates and not a slowdown hiccup in sight.
PDZ Direct Feed Videos

GAF Discussion

IGN Impressions
Quote:While Charles and Jon teamed-up in co-op at one TV, I jumped into a four-player split-screen match. All MP matches are configurable, and we picked shotguns, rifles, pistols and rocket launchers to start. We played through the sewers and streets levels, each of which are built upon multiple stories, so you can snipe, escape, and explore a little to find better weapons. The first thing I noticed was how many hits a character can take by default. You can literally pelt the crap out of another character and they'll live through it. In that way, PDZ feels like GoldenEye. You can adjust this factor with a slider, and you'll also want to instantly switch the control sensitivity instantly. It's set at default to 50%, but you'll want to immediately change to a minimum of 75%.
Quote:Perfect Dark Zero plays and feels exactly like the N64 original; even the music is a nostalgic homage to the original's synth-rock soundtrack. This could be considered good news or bad news depending on what camp you're in. If you're expecting an all-new, revolutionary FPS experience, you might be setting yourself up for disappointment. If you're looking to play a technically impressive evolution of the Perfect Dark series then you'll be sound as a pound.

PDZ Impressions from a PDZ clan
Quote:The Weapons in the game are nothing short of amazing, BALANCE, BALANCE,BALANCE.
The Perfect Dark Balance has been preserved. You have a pistol, he has dual cmp-150's? who wins? who ever is better. Gone are the days in Halo 2 where the one with the rocket and sword dominates the match. I've only managed to kill JPK once in 2 seconds via 3 well placed head shots, most battles take a while In Perfect Dark Zero... Just like the first one, you don't got any of those completley unbalanced weapons.

It's funny, the PD0 controls arn't as jerky or fast as the halo controls, but the game is WAY WAY faster paced, Dont worry though it's just like PD. Let's just say when I picked up the controller I was a Instant pro because I played the first do death, so yes playing the original PD right now will help you gain skill in PD0. In the build we've played we where not able to dual weild two different g uns(except gernade), but that's ok if they leave that out of the final game it's obviously due to the balance issues it would pose.

Perfect Dark Zero is GOOD - Dark Jaguar - 19th November 2005

Well, now I'm interested. I had my worries but this is the FPS I've been waiting for.

It's just too bad there are only two games worth getting on the 360. Amazingly enough, both from Rare. That purchase is finally paying off, and I think Bungie is going to lose a lot of fans.

Perfect Dark Zero is GOOD - Paco - 19th November 2005

Dark Jaguar Wrote:Well, now I'm interested. I had my worries but this is the FPS I've been waiting for.

It's just too bad there are only two games worth getting on the 360. Amazingly enough, both from Rare. That purchase is finally paying off, and I think Bungie is going to lose a lot of fans.

Project Gotham Racing 3, CoD2, King Kong, and Condemned have all been well received thus far. Enough to at least consider renting them.

When it comes to Halo and Perfect Dark on the 360 I'm going to say there will be three camps. Those who prefer Halo, those who prefer PDZ, and those who enjoy both for what they are. I really don't think Bungie is going to lose anyone, but the expectations for the next Halo will be raised because of Perfect Dark Zero. In any case, having two critically acclaimed FPS that play differently and may appeal to different crowds is only good for the 360.

I'll even go so far as to say that a lot of Halo fans are not going to like PDZ. Many Halo fans hold Halo up as the ultimate console FPS and by all accounts Perfect Dark Zero plays very different and is nothing like Halo.

Perfect Dark Zero is GOOD - A Black Falcon - 19th November 2005

Rare FPS fans will like it though, it seems...

I've always prefered objective and stealth based FPS games, but I can see your point. Halo does have a lot to improve on anyway as far as multiplayer goes.

Hmm, suppose that PD0 has some sort of downloadable content option? That would be pretty nice.

Hmm, suppose Bungie and Rare start working together and learn some thing from each other, in the process creating cameo character appearences in each other's games? That would be interesting, though I personally think Rare has a lot more to teach Bungie than the other way around. Bungie basically did one good thing, awesome multiplayer level design. They basically analyzed and realized exactly what it takes to make a fun and balanced map (namely, the key thing is ANY good firing point needs to be accessible "from behind" in order for the possibility to take out a camper, the idea of a closed space with only one entrance is something Bungie pretty much eliminated with Halo 2, which I can only agree with.

Perfect Dark Zero is GOOD - Great Rumbler - 19th November 2005

I'm still waiting for Elder Scrolls 4.

TES is an interesting series, but in the end it just isn't worth the effort...

Dark Jaguar Wrote:Hmm, suppose that PD0 has some sort of downloadable content option? That would be pretty nice.
Can you say microtransactions? I know you can! :D
Dark Jaguar Wrote:Hmm, suppose Bungie and Rare start working together and learn some thing from each other, in the process creating cameo character appearences in each other's games?
Again, microtransactions.
That reminds me, apparently someone has already spotted Wallace Guyford as a bot.
Dark Jaguar Wrote:That would be interesting, though I personally think Rare has a lot more to teach Bungie than the other way around. Bungie basically did one good thing, awesome multiplayer level design. They basically analyzed and realized exactly what it takes to make a fun and balanced map (namely, the key thing is ANY good firing point needs to be accessible "from behind" in order for the possibility to take out a camper, the idea of a closed space with only one entrance is something Bungie pretty much eliminated with Halo 2, which I can only agree with.
But I'm a camper! I guess that's part of the reason I was never able to really get into Halo then. That and the "wading in molasses" movement speed.

Quote:TES is an interesting series, but in the end it just isn't worth the effort...

Not for you maybe.

I could spend five hundred hours in Morrowind trying to convince myself that I'm having fun and that it's actually worth my time, or I could play better games... yeah, that was pretty much a waste of $30.

And the game doesn't exactly try hard to make me want to play it, what with the massive learning curve and brutal difficulty leve for a really long time until you supposedly get good enough to steamroll everything... or hack your character to make them good and go against the whole point of playing the game...

You know I like it, I know you don't like it. No need to go any further than that.

What do microtransactions have to do with downloadable content aside from the method of payment? Just because they HAVE that doesn't mean the content will come to be. Halo 2 already set it up so you had to pay for the map packs, except they eventually dropped the price to "free" so I just waited them out and downloaded them then.

Microtransactions, what does that even mean anyway? It's basically the same thing that already existed on the XBox. The only difference is they have some stupid "ticket" thing instead of telling you how much it costs in actual dollars. It's pretty stupid really. Just show the actual price. That extra bit serves no purpose.

Now, I've read some things out there on what "Microtransactions" are supposed to be, and so all I can figure is, you pay for certain downloadable content. So, what is new? Explain to me exactly why I should care or consider this different from what is already in place.

Have you ever had to pay to download things like that before?

Yeah, that's why they are new (and not exactly a good thing).

Perfect Dark Zero is GOOD - lazyfatbum - 19th November 2005

OH GOD DAMMIT

I NEED 500 DOLLARS NOW

STUPID CONSOLE BEING EXPENSIVE

NEED PERFECT DARK ZERO GOODNESS

FUCKING KRAP

The good news is, even though my memory was wiped on my PD cart I have almost everything back to normal. I'm an elite 3 and I have every cheat except alien for co-op but yunno SEQUEL (prequel...) TO PERFECT DARK DAMMIT WHY HAS MY GOD FORSAKEN ME??????????? I HAVE PLAYED PD SINCE IT WAS RELEASED (since Ge was released) I AM THE ULTIMATE DAMN MASTER AT THIS GAME I CAN KILL A TEAM OF 8 DARK SIMS NO SHEILDS WITH PISTOLS WITHOUT BEING KILLED (though I usually die somewhere around the 5 minute mark i mean every time you get within firing range they take a tiny chunk of health atleast the fuckers with shields i never die but shields are cheating) AND I WANT THIS GAME!!!!!!!!!!!!!

FUCK

*VIOLENTLY pets dog with AGGRESSIVE STROKING*

Perfect Dark Zero is GOOD - lazyfatbum - 19th November 2005

Perfect Dark Zero plays and feels exactly like the N64 original; even the music is a nostalgic homage to the original's synth-rock soundtrack. This could be considered good news or bad news depending on what camp you're in. If you're expecting an all-new, revolutionary FPS experience, you might be setting yourself up for disappointment

so it.... it plays exactly like the original.... with almost no frame rate issues, online multiplayer, and a fully updated engine.... so... hmmm... let me think... is this a bad thing... hmmm

Well, let's see, the best FPS that's been made after PD was.... hmmm.. NOTHING, COMPLETELY NOTHING, NOT A DAMN THING, NADA, ZIP, ZILCH, THE BIG NUMERICAL CIRCLE, if ANYONE can even THINK for a second that any FPS can even begin to compare or out do PD (a side from graphics) knows very little about FPS games, there is a reason PERFECT is in the TITLE

the only thing that's going to take FPS further than PDZ will is going to be done with the Revolution's controller. I actually know people who say Halo is better than PD but all they know is visuals and they dont understand gameplay concepts and what Rare did with PD has not been one-uped by one yet... until now :D well a few days from now, whatever :D

I AM SELLING CRACK TO CHILDREN TO RAISE MONEY FOR AN XBOX 360 AND MY TEARS WILL WASH AWAY MY PAIN

Perfect Dark Zero is GOOD - Weltall - 20th November 2005

I'm buying the 360. But only to resell it on Ebay at enormous profit. Sorry.

Perfect Dark Zero is GOOD - N_A - 20th November 2005

Sometimes I wonder why Nintendo just didn't put up a little longer with RARE's mismanagement or perhaps send in their own people to fix it themselves and find better talent. Sometimes I wonder, in light of PD0 being released now on Xbox 360 instead of say the Revolution where the Revolution controller would have made PD0 own all other FPS, if Nintendo was really being a little too impatient and going for short term gain as oppposed to selling them for short term gain and long term loss. Now Nintendo has to find someone to make a FPS series for them to replace the void, and they have yet to do that, since Metroid is really an FPA like Half Life. It would have been one heck of launch of PD0 was on the Revolution at launch time.

The funny thing is that RARE says they could probably do PD0 for the Revolution. Makes it sound like they want in, but they're not getting in, hehe.

Perfect Dark Zero is GOOD - Dark Jaguar - 20th November 2005

ABF, read my post again (there seems to be a shortage of that recently...). Specifically, the part where I explain that YES, there ARE things you have to pay for to download on XBox Live as it already is. Not all of it, but then again not all of what's on this new thing needs to be payed for either.

There is no difference except for the funhouse token conversion...

Indeed, to this day all my friends and I still play some matches of PD, only playing Halo 2 mainly due to the multiplayer. I merely add the note that Bungie does great multiplayer level design. I'm not entirely sure where that design skill goes in single player but, there it is.

Oh and, for those who camp, I have this to say. I do it too, but it must be noted that it is a tad on the cheap side to OWN a location completely. Take Mario Kart, they specifically designed it so even someone in last place can pull off a win in one major way. The item drops. Someone in first gets a banana or a single shell. The one in last gets things like a bullet bill or lightning. That's a way to provide a sort of awesome. In DS, they tossed in the amazing ability to ride in someone's slip stream and suddenly boost in front of them (I take the path THROUGH them when it happens :D). However, the counter to this is that an opponent could have an item just waiting for slip stream users. It's balance like this that makes Mario Kart still the best racing game around.

In a multiplayer map, default weapon locations are important, as are starting weapons, for balance, when players actually don't go custom :D. More than that though, level layout. In terms of camping, it's fine to set up locations that make great camping spots but they can't be completely impregnable (cannot be pregnated!). Sure, someone with superior skills should be able to oust the camper, but there should always be some weakness to balance things out. For example, a certain location is great if you want to camp and wait for the kill when you notice people heading towards one entrance. However, there should be some other opening like right behind you. All the camping and sniping hot spots were places that had major opening tradeoffs for the strengths they provided in Halo 2. They really did a good job there, if nowhere else.

I have yet to see the level designs for PDZ, but I have a feeling they will be very nice indeed considering the time they have spent making the game.

I still say this generation really isn't that great a graphical improvement though... PD0 is pretty just fine as is, but it's not like that super step up one might normally expect from a next generation console... I suppose we've just got to that point...

Perfect Dark Zero is GOOD - dex - 20th November 2005

The 360 is definitely lacking. It looks and feels like an XBox 2.2. And whoever thought that high res everything with a lower polygon rate and a low texture count would be a good thing? All the launch games look like super high res current generation except for some things here and there and of course gears of war. Which tells me the 360 will look better with age. But for now and probably the next 6 months to a year the 360 is going to look karpy. Developers will find ways to get around that whole 'use all resources to display everything at uber res' issue. Not to mention the stupid in order processor that no one knows how to code for.

But none of that matters when it comes to Perfect Dark. You could tell me it looks like the N64 game, choppy frames and all, and i'd still want it just as bad. I'm just trying to find a realistic way to sell myself the idea of paying $500/600 for it. Thankfully, Game Rush rents systems :D

I know that I would spend 600 bucks on a system that gave me Nintendo first/second party stuff and nothing else; everything from 1080 to Zelda and all points inbetween. But I dunno if i'd spend that for Rare stuff and nothing else. The 360 will probably see 5 Rare games in its life - is the entry fee worth it? What if they're all krap except PDZ? ...I play PD everyday... I'll probably play that game for the rest of my life. Assuming the sequel is just as good, 500/600 bucks is an appropriate price for something that will give me years of enjoyment, maybe a lifetime of enjoyment.

fucking $50 controllers... if I want 4 controllers i'm already paying $150 more above the console price.

Is that you lazy?

Perfect Dark Zero is GOOD - Great Rumbler - 20th November 2005

Kameo looks pretty good on an HDTV, but not really that much better than an XBox game with high resolution textures.

That's what I've been saying, very minor improvements. The main thing is that the textures are very high quality. That's it. I certainly hope as time goes on there will be some major use of the extra power.

Anyway, I'm waiting for that first price drop.

Perfect Dark Zero is GOOD - Great Rumbler - 20th November 2005

First-gen games are always like that. Games near the middle of next year will look great I'm sure.

Perfect Dark Zero is GOOD - A Black Falcon - 20th November 2005

Quote:ABF, read my post again (there seems to be a shortage of that recently...). Specifically, the part where I explain that YES, there ARE things you have to pay for to download on XBox Live as it already is. Not all of it, but then again not all of what's on this new thing needs to be payed for either.

There is no difference except for the funhouse token conversion...

Um, DJ, isn't the kind of thing you get on Xbox Live now game addons and the like? We're nore just talking about that here... here you pay for stuff like gamer pictures and stuff... on top of your $50/year Live subscription. Sure, they started down this road with the Xbox, but it's gotten worse now. There is a difference between paying for an expansion pack and paying for things you should be able to download for free...

http://www.pressthebuttons.com/2005/03/micropayments_m.html

http://www.joystiq.com/entry/1234000680063369/
http://www.joystiq.com/entry/1234000723068052/

PC expansion packs sometimes walk the fine line between worthy addon and cash-in to make more money, true, but not as bad as this I think...

Perfect Dark Zero is GOOD - lazyfatbum - 21st November 2005

...yes, DJ. That post was from me, not my 12 year old nephew.

dork

as far as the developers getting used to the system, give it one full generation of games. In other words, let them throw out any existing code and create new engines that aren't based on current ones. Then we should see some major graphical ehancements.

And then Blinx 3 will look great AND suck simultaneously!

Perfect Dark Zero is GOOD - Dark Jaguar - 21st November 2005

ABF, you aren't hearing me! I didn't even mention the $50 yearly fee! I am SPECIFICALLY talking about PAYING for a DOWNLOAD! That is, you go to the download section of a game, and you see a list of things like levels, and next to each one is a price listing. Like, this level is awesome, it's $5. Or, this is 10 levels for the low price of $10. For Halo 2, I waited them out.

GR, it's not "always" like that. First games have never looked as good as later games. That's been true since Atari. What hasn't been true is first games looking just barely above last gen. Since Atari, even the very first gen games have always been able to wow us over what the previous generation looked like. Look at the Gamecube. We were DROOLING over pics of the first games released on it which blew the very best the N64 had to offer out of the water. That's not happening this time.

Perfect Dark Zero is GOOD - A Black Falcon - 21st November 2005

Quote:ABF, you aren't hearing me! I didn't even mention the $50 yearly fee! I am SPECIFICALLY talking about PAYING for a DOWNLOAD! That is, you go to the download section of a game, and you see a list of things like levels, and next to each one is a price listing. Like, this level is awesome, it's $5. Or, this is 10 levels for the low price of $10. For Halo 2, I waited them out.

I know, I think I said that, and I said that this time it's not just levels (the kind of thing that PC gamers are used to paying for through addons) that they want you to pay for...

As for PD, if you want to take the impressions and screenshots negatively you can... just ask Stealth. :)

So basically you are saying this is stuff already inside the game code they are trying to sell, rather than additional stuff? They are basically trying to sell me a car and then making me pay to turn on the already built in air conditioning? That is different, and wrong.

Well, that's where gamesharks come in. :D

Perfect Dark Zero is GOOD - Paco - 21st November 2005

Dark Jaguar Wrote:ABF, you aren't hearing me! I didn't even mention the $50 yearly fee! I am SPECIFICALLY talking about PAYING for a DOWNLOAD! That is, you go to the download section of a game, and you see a list of things like levels, and next to each one is a price listing. Like, this level is awesome, it's $5. Or, this is 10 levels for the low price of $10. For Halo 2, I waited them out.

GR, it's not "always" like that. First games have never looked as good as later games. That's been true since Atari. What hasn't been true is first games looking just barely above last gen. Since Atari, even the very first gen games have always been able to wow us over what the previous generation looked like. Look at the Gamecube. We were DROOLING over pics of the first games released on it which blew the very best the N64 had to offer out of the water. That's not happening this time.

We're getting to the point of diminishing returns. You only need so many polys to represent an object, whether it be a car or a person. You can take a 10,000 poly human model from say Resident Evil 4 and add several thousand polygons but I guarantee you'll be hard pressed to tell a noticable difference.

Just wait until the generation after 360 and PS3, I don't expect we'll get a jump even close to what we're getting now. Not with rising costs and an ever growing learning curve for developers.

Perfect Dark Zero is GOOD - lazyfatbum - 21st November 2005

DJ/ This is the first major overhaul of hardware of how to read, code, etc for a long time. The best example from history would be the original Gameboy Vs. the GBA. Look at the very best (graphically) the GB had to offer and compare it to the first gen GBA stuff.

The GB didn't even need a dev kit, everything was super easy machine language and the more time you spent on it the better games would look. The GBA brought in a system that needed more precision and care with a SNES dev kit. This meant alot of older companies were happy but many other companies had to re-train themselves in order to take advantage of the new system. Companies that for example, never had or used a SNES dev kit and wanted to keep their uber easy machine language tools, but now couldn't. The end result is that last gen GB games look fantastic, some even using FMV, sampled voice and music and running games like Donkey Kong Country that looked on par (sans color) with it's SNES counterpart.

The first GBA games looked like early 16 bit krap, nothing more than cleaner colorized versions of GB games. No major visual notch was raised as far as graphics are concerned. And then today, we have GBA games that rival PS1 graphics. They just to get retrained in using the hardware.

*everyone* knows how to code for a PS2. Nintendo knows how to code for a PS2. The PS2 uses already existing technology (at its inception) with some minor bottlenecks and adjustments. Now the in order processor is making games run slow for no apparent reason and you have to look deep in buried registers to find the issues. So it's just going to take time for developers to throw out most or all of their R&D from the past 20 years and start over.

Isn't "evolution"* grand? ;)

*hardware manufacturers trying to invent marketable monopolies through force and scare tactics by destroying all small studios and pissing off the large ones with bullshit confusing architecture

I think the generation AFTER this one will need to be put off for a lot longer than usual. As you said, rising costs and learning curve mean it may take some time before games even bother making use of the full potential. That means that they may feel they have a lot of extra power to work with for some time now, meaning no real need to update. We may be looking at a situation where we'll be having these systems, in various reincarnations of slimmed down proportions, for 7, possibly 8 years. I wouldn't mind that at all really. And where do I get these numbers? I make them up of course!

Still, I'm thinking they will need to put off making the generation after next's release until it is a noticable jump from this one, something that would make the average consumer actually consider it worth it. I really don't think the average consumer sees that with the 360... I am actually wondering how well these systems are going to sell, after the initial rush that is.

I actually am HOPING for this scenario. Last thing we need, as gamers, is for consoles to get as bad as the constant minor upgrading of PC video cards. Is there really a need, for example, to release about 3 or 4 new updated video cards a year? Why not wait a while (giving time perhaps for game companies to actually work with the thing you just released) and devote a lot more time and money to much bigger jumps every few years? I'm hoping the generation after next won't come out until we can do REAL TIME photorealism at max HDTV levels, on two screens with stereoscopic goggles involved. And with THAT generation, we won't need another upgrade sheerly for the sake of power.

Perfect Dark Zero is GOOD - A Black Falcon - 21st November 2005

Quote:I actually am HOPING for this scenario. Last thing we need, as gamers, is for consoles to get as bad as the constant minor upgrading of PC video cards. Is there really a need, for example, to release about 3 or 4 new updated video cards a year? Why not wait a while (giving time perhaps for game companies to actually work with the thing you just released) and devote a lot more time and money to much bigger jumps every few years? I'm hoping the generation after next won't come out until we can do REAL TIME photorealism at max HDTV levels, on two screens with stereoscopic goggles involved. And with THAT generation, we won't need another upgrade sheerly for the sake of power.

Not going to happen, DJ. Companies don't make decicions based on what is best for the customer's wallet. :)

Quote:So basically you are saying this is stuff already inside the game code they are trying to sell, rather than additional stuff? They are basically trying to sell me a car and then making me pay to turn on the already built in air conditioning? That is different, and wrong.

No, but stuff they easily could have distributed/included in the game (depending on the kind of content) if they had wanted to, I think...

Oh, some of what they're doing with Live is great -- like Live Arcade -- but... I want to pay for a full expansion, not for one level... I can see those predictions of paying for 'just an addon gun' coming true eventually...

Perfect Dark Zero is GOOD - Paco - 21st November 2005

Dark Jaguar Wrote:I think the generation AFTER this one will need to be put off for a lot longer than usual. As you said, rising costs and learning curve mean it may take some time before games even bother making use of the full potential. That means that they may feel they have a lot of extra power to work with for some time now, meaning no real need to update. We may be looking at a situation where we'll be having these systems, in various reincarnations of slimmed down proportions, for 7, possibly 8 years. I wouldn't mind that at all really. And where do I get these numbers? I make them up of course!

Still, I'm thinking they will need to put off making the generation after next's release until it is a noticable jump from this one, something that would make the average consumer actually consider it worth it. I really don't think the average consumer sees that with the 360... I am actually wondering how well these systems are going to sell, after the initial rush that is.

I actually am HOPING for this scenario. Last thing we need, as gamers, is for consoles to get as bad as the constant minor upgrading of PC video cards. Is there really a need, for example, to release about 3 or 4 new updated video cards a year? Why not wait a while (giving time perhaps for game companies to actually work with the thing you just released) and devote a lot more time and money to much bigger jumps every few years? I'm hoping the generation after next won't come out until we can do REAL TIME photorealism at max HDTV levels, on two screens with stereoscopic goggles involved. And with THAT generation, we won't need another upgrade sheerly for the sake of power.

Maybe you are hard to please, or I'm just too easy. I've played the 360 on a HDTV and I want in on next gen...

Seeing the hundreds of dragons flying around Thorn's castle in Kameo and watching thousands of orcs and elves fought in real-time won me over. Never mind the jaw-dropping Project Gotham 3...it's a beauty. I've also seen what a poor HDTV setup looks like and I've also seen the effects of what a regular tv has on these beautiful new games - they just don't compare. You NEED a HDTV to fully appreciate the hi-res textures and detail present. Having said that, I'm not jumping into next gen until I can get myself a HDTV. Hopefully I'll have one by the time Halo 3 comes out.:D

It will be a long long time before I get an HDTV.... And yes, I'm aware of the fact that in this generation, the high resolution makes all the difference.

Yeah, I'm hard to please. I can say this. While I can appreciate the technical level of something, I have the remarkeble ability to completely ignore technical aspects when I'm deciding how good something looks. I can't actually tell you why it doesn't look that impressive, with that in mind. What I can say is you can quote as many nice numbers as you want but if I am just not seeing anything major, I'm not seeing it. That may sound like hick talk, and don't get me wrong, I actually DO know what a lot of the termanology means, it's just that I have to get a little rough when it comes to actually appreciating the look of it.

Hey ABF, here's something for ya. Mech Assault. That game actually had you download various mechs as they designed them, basically mechs being that game's version of "new guns". Fortunatly, all the mechs were free. They only charged for some "map pack".

Perfect Dark Zero is GOOD - Smoke - 22nd November 2005

Perfect Dark Zero is GOOD - Dark Jaguar - 22nd November 2005

You spoiler tagged a review score?

Perfect Dark Zero is GOOD - Smoke - 22nd November 2005

I didn't want to ruin the end for you!

The end of what? The review? It's a number.

Perfect Dark Zero is GOOD - -JaSon- - 22nd November 2005

Great Rumbler Wrote:Kameo looks pretty good on an HDTV, but not really that much better than an XBox game with high resolution textures.

True, but HDTVs are still way to expensive. A better bet would be to get VGA Cables and connect your 360 to a PC monitor, which provides high resolutions.

As PD0, all the reviews its gotten seem to be great. I can't wait to play it, but I'm still not sure whether I should get a 360 JUST for that. For me, only 2 launch games are worth shelling out 60$ for, and thats Kameo and PD0. I might give in to the temptation and get a 360, but I'm just waiting for Sony and Nintendo to make their move.

I myself have plans on doing exactly that for my HDTV solution. I understand the Dreamcast supported it, and from there I have not looked up any info to speak of on what systems support VGA cablin'.

However, I have seen enough to confirm HDTVs have been upped to resolutions that make PC moniters blush. Still, what my moniter is capable of should do just fine. It's also a decent size, and I have no qualms about sitting at a chair playing a game. Besides, I'm running out of room for consoles by my TV. (I happen to have all the consoles I've ever owned currently hooked up, with a mess of AV cables laying next to the AV ports on my TV. Well, okay my Atari 2600 (classic woodgrain, only way to go) is in my closet, but that's just because I haven't found a decent passthrough RF cable for it yet.)

Perfect Dark Zero is GOOD - -JaSon- - 22nd November 2005

^Yeah, if you have a 19 inch CRT, that should support resolutions of right upto 1600X1200.

On the video cable topic, heres Gamespot's comparison on them, I found it very interesting.

http://www.gamespot.com/features/6139690/index.html

Perfect Dark Zero is GOOD - Dark Jaguar - 23rd November 2005

VGA cables for me then. Oddly enough, the Japanese Gamecube uses a VGA output rather than component cables. I believe I heard that, in Japan, HDTVs use VGA as the input standard. I'm not sure if that's still the case, or was even true then.

Perfect Dark Zero is GOOD - Great Rumbler - 23rd November 2005

Quote:True, but HDTVs are still way to expensive. A better bet would be to get VGA Cables and connect your 360 to a PC monitor, which provides high resolutions.

HDTV aren't THAT expensive anymore, you can get a good one for a lot less than $1000.

How much less?

Best Buy has a 27" HD-Ready TV capable of 1080i for $450.

HD ready? Do you happen to remember what modes it supports or just that they had a cheap one?

That is FAIRLY cheap... still, I don't think it's really worth it. My current moniter does the job just fine. My brother's moniter is pretty frickin' collosal (and his computer in general is practically perfect in every way). In fact, his moniter is as big as a number of decent sized TVs I've seen. I really don't have too much of a desire for a larger screen, mainly because my own moniter is big enough that the highest resolutions aren't fuzzy or anything, and I'm right up TO the screen so it pretty much fills my field of vision anyway. The only point of having a large screen is to do that anyway, right? So, why bother? Well, there's the issue of friends sharing a moniter, but I'm wiling to make them sacrifice :D.

Perfect Dark Zero is GOOD - -JaSon- - 23rd November 2005

The prices of HDTV have come down, but I already have a pretty good monitor, so I'd be better of using VGA Cables. I have no problem gaming on a smaller screen, really.

I'd be better of getting accesories and games for the next gen console(s) I'm getting honestly.

My computer is in another room, so that's not really an option. Besides, I'd rather have one moniter for my computer and one TV for games and DVDs instead of constantly hooking up and unhooking cables.