Tendo City
GTA3 gamer sentenced to death. - Printable Version

+- Tendo City (https://www.tendocity.net)
+-- Forum: Tendo City: Metropolitan District (https://www.tendocity.net/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+--- Forum: Ramble City (https://www.tendocity.net/forumdisplay.php?fid=44)
+--- Thread: GTA3 gamer sentenced to death. (/showthread.php?tid=3268)

GTA3 gamer sentenced to death. - EdenMaster - 8th October 2005

Source: <a href="http://www.gamespot.com/ps2/action/grandtheftauto3/news_6135335.html">GameSpot</a>

Quote:<b>20-year-old who used Grand Theft Auto as defense for triple homicide sentenced to lethal injection.</b>

Earlier this year, Devin Moore, now 20, was on trial for the 2003 triple homicide of three Alabama policemen. While in detention for stealing a car, Moore grabbed the pistol of one officer and used it to fatally shoot a total of three of them.

The defense mounted a case based on a childhood full of mental and physical abuse, as well as an affinity for violent games. One game in particular, Rockstar Games' Grand Theft Auto III, was singled out, because gamers can steal cars and kill cops in it. Moore had said he was inspired by the PlayStation 2 game.

In August, a jury swiftly convicted Moore of the charges. And today, a judge laid down the most severe punishment the justice system allows.

Moore will be put to death by lethal injection. Defense attorney Jim Standridge will appeal the case.

The victims' families have sued Take-Two Interactive (parent company of Rockstar), Sony, Wal-Mart, and GameStop for their parts in the manufacturing and selling of the game.

Ugh...weren't crazy people killing BEFORE video games were invented? I also like the way they really kind of gloss over the whole "lifetime of physical and mental abuse...<i>BUT HE PLAYED GRAND THEFT AUTO TOO!</i>"

*cue gasps, dramatic music*

Why don't the sue the parents for making the kid crazy instead of the game manufacturer who has safely entertained 99.999998% of the gaming population by NOT turning them into mass-murderers?

Stuff like this really burns me.

GTA3 gamer sentenced to death. - Great Rumbler - 8th October 2005

I bet Jack the Ripper was influenced by Grand Theft Auto 3 as well, since you can beat up prostitutes and run over them and stuff.

GTA3 gamer sentenced to death. - Geno - 8th October 2005

Violence didn't exist until video games came along. Actually, yeah it did, but back then it was television's fault. And before that, people were responsible for their own actions; either that or their parents were held liable, depending on the person's age. But now video games make a great scapegoat.

GTA3 gamer sentenced to death. - EdenMaster - 9th October 2005

Great Rumbler Wrote:I bet Jack the Ripper was influenced by Grand Theft Auto 3 as well, since you can beat up prostitutes and run over them and stuff.

"Had Michael been Jack the Ripper he would have soothed himself in a most unsavory way. But instead, he just sat in his car and ate a whole thing of candy beans."

:D

GTA3 gamer sentenced to death. - Dark Jaguar - 9th October 2005

A whole "thing"? What's with that anyway? Thing seems to be a valid unit of measurement or name for a container. Try CUP, or I dunno, PACKAGE! The hell with all of you!

GTA3 gamer sentenced to death. - The Former DMiller - 9th October 2005

Hey, leave EM alone. He was just quoting Arrested Development, which I finally began watching this season and am loving every minute of.

GTA3 gamer sentenced to death. - EdenMaster - 9th October 2005

If you haven't watched the earlier episodes, Derek, you should REALLY rent Season 1 on DVD. Season 2 will be coming out, if I'm not mistaken, within a couple weeks. It's all hilarious, and the jokes will be funnier with a little background.

STEVE HOLT!!

GTA3 gamer sentenced to death. - Great Rumbler - 9th October 2005

Keep watching Arrested Development, DMiller, so it won't get cancelled!

Michael: That was my worst hello...

GTA3 gamer sentenced to death. - A Black Falcon - 9th October 2005

It looks like the fact that he got the death penalty means that the 'GTA Defense' argument was ignored... which is good, because it's almost certainly false (unless the guy was very seriously mentally disturbed already, videogames should not really do anything...), but even so, the death penalty is wrong.

GTA3 gamer sentenced to death. - Undertow - 13th October 2005

70 year old man who likes to eat cherries found to be the real kennedy assasin.

Woman who watched Kill Bill shakes child.

Avid ice skater connected to house fire.

GTA3 gamer sentenced to death. - Geno - 16th October 2005

If someone does something bad, then you have to blame everything that ever interested them. Ignore everything bad that ever happened to them and blame whatever bands they listened to, whatever shows and moveis they liked, and whatever video games they played. People are incapable of making their own decisions; they have to be inspired by some form of media. After all, the media is responsible for parenting.