Tendo City
Logic Statements in the Movies - Printable Version

+- Tendo City (https://www.tendocity.net)
+-- Forum: Tendo City: Metropolitan District (https://www.tendocity.net/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+--- Forum: Ramble City (https://www.tendocity.net/forumdisplay.php?fid=44)
+--- Thread: Logic Statements in the Movies (/showthread.php?tid=3231)

Logic Statements in the Movies - The Former DMiller - 26th September 2005

I'm looking for some movies that have conditional (logic) statements in them, or logical lines of reasoning. The two I have thought of so far are the final courtroom scene in My Cousin Vinny in which Marisa Tomei's character points out why the car the defendants drove couldn't have caused the tire tracks at the crime scene, and the witch scene in Monty Python and the Holy Grail, which is faulty logic, but still fits my purpose. I'm making up a DVD to use in my Geometry class when we have a day to kill, and would really appreciate any suggestions you guys have. Thanks.

Logic Statements in the Movies - Dark Jaguar - 26th September 2005

Hmm.... Well, contact uses a lot of logic near the end. I mean, the makers of the movie seem to intend the audience to not go for the logic, but all the logic does point to you, the viewer, needing to realize that yes, that scientist was delusional.

Logic Statements in the Movies - Great Rumbler - 26th September 2005

Primer has a lot of logic statements in it, most dealing with time travel.

Quote:Well, contact uses a lot of logic near the end. I mean, the makers of the movie seem to intend the audience to not go for the logic, but all the logic does point to you, the viewer, needing to realize that yes, that scientist was delusional.

If you think that you didn't pay too much attention to one of the last scenes. It was acutually made even clearer in the book.

Logic Statements in the Movies - A Black Falcon - 26th September 2005

Yeah, I thought of Primer when this question was raised... there's definitely logic in it. Of course, the end decends into incoherent confusion, or at least it did to me, but the movie is based on logic...

They made it really cheap too, only a $7000 budget.

Yes, and the actors... were not exactly professionals. You can tell. :) (the movie works fine that way, it's just quite obvious that it's low budget and with amateur actors...)

Logic Statements in the Movies - Great Rumbler - 27th September 2005

It's not really THAT obvious, I think it could easily pass for a movie with a higher budget and actors with some experience.

Logic Statements in the Movies - A Black Falcon - 27th September 2005

If you say "the actors are good at acting like people who aren't actors" instead of "the actors are people who aren't really actors"? :)

Logic Statements in the Movies - CoconutCommander - 27th September 2005

Clue - this movie is just one big logic statement. Everyother scene the characters are hypothosizing what happened.

Boondock Saints - Whenever Willem Dafoe is investigating a crime scene and has to piece together the events.

Im sure alot of murder mysteries like Murder by Numbers, has what your looking for.

Logic Statements in the Movies - Great Rumbler - 27th September 2005

Clue is also a very hilarious movie.

Logic Statements in the Movies - Dark Jaguar - 27th September 2005

And it has 3 endings! It's based on the popular board game by the same name!

It's one of the few good movies based on a game.

You know, I never heard anyone complaining about that game where one person may be playing as the murderer. It's a little odd to be finding out something you should already know eh?