Tendo City
Anyone want to start Writing/Making a Video Game?? - Printable Version

+- Tendo City (https://www.tendocity.net)
+-- Forum: Tendo City: Metropolitan District (https://www.tendocity.net/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+--- Forum: Ramble City (https://www.tendocity.net/forumdisplay.php?fid=44)
+--- Thread: Anyone want to start Writing/Making a Video Game?? (/showthread.php?tid=3183)

Pages: 1 2

Anyone want to start Writing/Making a Video Game?? - -iLluSiON- - 8th September 2005

I can do the music. I have some examples (although not really good ones.. up on my site.. http://www.myspace.com/illusion)

Anyone want to start Writing/Making a Video Game?? - lazyfatbum - 8th September 2005

Okay you're right that they're not very good but you have awesome composition with electronica and odd samples. Definitely semi-pro.

Please please please clean up your music, way too much noise floor and cross over. If something is supposed to be high frequency, make it high. If it's supposed to be low, make it low. Otherwise you end up with alot of muddyness in the middle. But otherwise very cool and extremely SNES meets NIN.

what programs do you use? Did I just detect a fruitty loops reverb filter? :D

Anyone want to start Writing/Making a Video Game?? - Darunia - 8th September 2005

It takes a lot more than music to make a videogame. With what software would you go about making one? A FPS, RPG, an action game...?

Anyone want to start Writing/Making a Video Game?? - -iLluSiON- - 8th September 2005

I used to work for a company called Setra Enterprises. We were making a computer game (RPG) called "A Witch's Tale." It never came out and the company ceased.

But yea, the songs on that site aren't the ones that are 'mixed.' And no, I don't use fruityloops. Fruityloops does all the work and composition while the person just has to turn knobs and use the piano roll feature. I use an old DOS program called Impulse Tracker, then make the samples and songs sound better using Adobe Audition.

The reason why the Freqs are messed up is because I just recorded those through winamp to make the mp3. (I didn't go through the hole process).. and also the myspace player takes a lot of the production out..

Anyone want to start Writing/Making a Video Game?? - Darunia - 8th September 2005

My questions stand.

Darunia Wrote:It takes a lot more than music to make a videogame. With what software would you go about making one? A FPS, RPG, an action game...?

It depends on what system/kind of game you want.

Even though I'm a musician (I do some art/drawing on the side), I'd rather create a game for something like gameboy advance.

But it doesn't have to be serious. It can be something small. Like a small little computer game. Too much money needs to be invested if you want to make a 'big' game. You're better off going to the companies.

We need artists (2d and 3d), writers, character designers, computer programmers, engineers, musicians, editors, testers, producers... the whole bit. I believe there's enough smarts on this board to create a 'cheap' little game.

Or, if not, maybe a flash site. I'm in it for the sound/music, but is anyone decent at flash here??

Anyone want to start Writing/Making a Video Game?? - lazyfatbum - 8th September 2005

I really like Social Toxin, lots of tonal errors but they actually fit the music style and feeling going on and i wish the voice samples were cleaner and more up front. Try drying it out and undo the compression as to give it a higher percievable volume than the other instrumentation. You also need a double tap 4/4 ride bell or a much higher frequency in your cymbals and your metal clank samples cuz you got the muddyness going on, something to seperate it would be loverly.

lazyfatbum Wrote:I really like Social Toxin, lots of tonal errors but they actually fit the music style and feeling going on and i wish the voice samples were cleaner and more up front. Try drying it out and undo the compression as to give it a higher percievable volume than the other instrumentation. You also need a double tap 4/4 ride bell or a much higher frequency in your cymbals and your metal clank samples cuz you got the muddyness going on, something to seperate it would be loverly.

Haha, thanks. That song was a joke though... I only spent an hour on it. I was just experimenting. I didn't want to put all my effort into it. I can make a much better song than that.

well then host the 'good versions' somwhere, duh. :D

It sounds like you need a producer. I guess the first question is that will the company be private or public and what's the proposed budget?

Who cares if you did it in a small amount of time, it works. :D

but CLEAN YOUR AUDIO or give us the full versions. Do you have anything in multichannel stereo?

Anyone want to start Writing/Making a Video Game?? - N-Man - 8th September 2005

I am so in. I can make shitty 2d overworlds and shittier 2d sprites. Look (of course this project never panned out to anything):

wow n-man, those are great.

aurora mp3

ambient side project mp3

impulse tracker can't get the production like fruity loops or reason, but it has more flexibility when it comes to the music.

Anyone want to start Writing/Making a Video Game?? - EdenMaster - 8th September 2005

Here we see the world map of System Wars, the RPG I've been making on and off since approximately 1874. Give or take.

Anyone want to start Writing/Making a Video Game?? - N-Man - 8th September 2005

That's with RPGMaker, ia?

Anyone want to start Writing/Making a Video Game?? - EdenMaster - 8th September 2005

Yep, RPG Maker 2003. While I'm happy with how it turned out, it's still quite small and NOTHING compared to the monstrous maps Ryan has made with it in the past.

Anyone want to start Writing/Making a Video Game?? - A Black Falcon - 8th September 2005

I want a copy of that program... it's far from ideal, but it might be fun to mess around with.

Anyone want to start Writing/Making a Video Game?? - Weltall - 8th September 2005

You should look for RPGmaker Xp, it's much better looking.

Not that I have any idea where to find it anymore. But yeah, I made a very awesome kick ass map for the game I stopped making, however, since I lost my hard drive, I can't prove it.

I've fooled with RPGmaker.. it's fun, but yet, I'd rather make something outside of that program.

Anyone want to start Writing/Making a Video Game?? - Geno - 8th September 2005

I lost all my Kong Fu content and RPG Maker 2000/2003 when I switched computers. I may pick up making an RPG again someday, and I'll need some music besides the crappy sample music that RM2K(3) provides, so I'll keep you in mind.

Anyone want to start Writing/Making a Video Game?? - A Black Falcon - 8th September 2005

http://www.rpgfan.com/news/2005/1756.html
http://www.enterbrain.co.jp/tkool/RPG_XP/eng/index.html

Wow, they're actually releasing a real English version soon...

Ryan Wrote:You should look for RPGmaker Xp, it's much better looking.

I actually do have RPG XP but I prefer 2003, believe it or not. It is a bit better looking, but I still like the 2k3 battle system with the sprites actually on screen. Besides, I've done so much work and made so much custom stuff for the game that the idea of redoing it all just for a slicker interface and nicer look really doesn't appeal to me.

Ryan Wrote:Not that I have any idea where to find it anymore. But yeah, I made a very awesome kick ass map for the game I stopped making, however, since I lost my hard drive, I can't prove it.

But I can :D (Perspecive: Both of these maps that he sent me are, to my knowledge, from the maximum zoom of 1/8 actual size, AND I shrunk the image size on both of them down 50% to make them easier to see. Translation: Damn.)

Anyone want to start Writing/Making a Video Game?? - Weltall - 8th September 2005

Wow, that top one is so old...

The bottom ome is the current one, and what's displayed there is roughly one-quarter of the full map. And yes, it is zoomed at 1/8, now 1/16. The map at normal 1/1 zoom is over a quarter of a billion pixels total in size, or in the program's terms, 500x500 squares.

I'd enjoy doing story and character development for any Tendo City game collaboration. And I'll waive my nominal service fee of $109.95, too.

My maps are mostly pretty simplistic. There are a few that I'm pretty happy with though, such as these:

Anyone want to start Writing/Making a Video Game?? - Geno - 9th September 2005

Most of my maps sucked. The towns and continents were square. The only thing I was proud of was the exterior of Emperor Collingham's castle. I wish I had at least saved a screenshot of that.

Anyone want to start Writing/Making a Video Game?? - N-Man - 9th September 2005

We just need somebody who knows how to code. After that we're good to go. Remember, in the past games were made by one guy with a C64, an elastic and an overactive imagination.

Anyone want to start Writing/Making a Video Game?? - A Black Falcon - 9th September 2005

I like maps... but good level design would take a while so I've never tried too hard to make the levels or games I've made really great. :D

Anyone want to start Writing/Making a Video Game?? - Geno - 9th September 2005

Yeah, I need to work on making my maps less boring. EdenMaster's look nice. They look natural and not... square or circular, like mine. His don't look manmade.

Anyone want to start Writing/Making a Video Game?? - EdenMaster - 9th September 2005

Heh, you should have seen the map for the ORIGINAL System Wars I made way back when. Ryan might remember it. It was so laughably bad, although it did set the standard of the general layout of the world. Everything is pretty much in the same place it was before, with a few exceptions.

Anyone want to start Writing/Making a Video Game?? - A Black Falcon - 9th September 2005

It's just a matter of how much time you put into making it look natural, I think... it depends how much you care. Or how much time you want to waste on a project with no future, from another perspective... :)

Anyone want to start Writing/Making a Video Game?? - EdenMaster - 9th September 2005

Even the map as it is now has gone through many changes to get where it is now. I threw in lots of little useless islands just to fill the empty sea, the desert peninsul near the middle of the map used to be it's own seperate island, but then I thought it would look better attached to the nearby continent and divided by mountains (and it does). That little island next to the peninsula used to be much higher north, until I expanded the continent in the northwest to make it nearly double it's size. I like the depth effect I added on the northeast continent, and the big river I put in the southwest continent. All in all, the map as it is now, is the result of lots and lots of tweaking, changing, and moving.

I'm not sure what kind of game I'd make... do you want it to me epic scale like most rpgs where you have a representation of a whole world to explore, or more detail on a smaller area... PC-style RPGs usually do the latter, of course. So probably that... but on the other hand, it's easier to draw low-detail continents than more detailed small areas, I think...

... you know, when I was younger (like 5th, 6th grade or so I think), I made games on paper... drew level maps and stuff. It was fun. :) Mostly sidescrollers, but since i also enjoy drawing random maplike things, I did a few rpgish maps... I liked that stuff. I always wished I could make some of those games real, but Klik & Play was quite limited (though I really enjoyed it and wish I still had those games I made for it... sadly, most were lost in a hdd crash years back (I never transferred them off our old computer when we got a new one, I guess...), I think... either that or they're on a HDD that's sitting in the closet at home, and that doesn't exactly help me much either.

Of course, being made by me, the games I made had one of these two things in common... either they were short, or they were unfinished. :) I never focused on one big project... my favorite of my KNP games was this arkanoid-style game. I even had 2-player and 4-player modes... as for the paper ones, my favorite was this sidescrolling action game called Castle Siege. ... yeah, I made a lot of medieval-setting games... :) I also spent a bunch of time on Black Magic Tavern (this house, and adventureish game... I spent time carefully designing the layout of the place, but never really decided the story or the gameplay, other than the basics... :D) and Eromit Empire, which was my big RPG (as usual, I mapped out in simple form the overworld, and made one town in detail (including a chart of item prices at all the stores in town), and drew some blobby monsters... and that's about all. :) .... oh right, I did the 4-page manual as well... ... I should stop now, or I'd keep describing games... (I read through the folders a few weeks ago. :)) ... one more, P.I.N. Ball. Unusually complete (both in the 'percent of game mapped out' sense and the 'this would actually work for a decently long real game' sense -- of my games that met the first test, few also met the second one...), it was a pinball game I made... I designed all of the levels/tables -- eleven (8 normal, 3 hidden) -- except for the one that was supposed to be the final level. I never got around to making that one.

That brings up something... with that stuff (the paper stuff, on the KNP games), I also invented a console (well, some of my friends had some input too)... Dead-X! :) (yeah, stupid, but hey, it seemed cool at the time... :)) The magazine's name is even better... Dead-X Dread-X, I believe... but that one at least wasn't my idea. It was a friends'. Even though later he wanted to deny it, probably after realizing how dumb it is... :D

The main distinguishing feature of the thing? Well, I thought it was a good idea to have, in addition to a dpad, A, B, C, and Start and Select, a button called Secret, which would be a key undefined in the manual (but it would do something -- you just have to press it (and maybe look around, if it's something subtle) to figure out what! Oooh!)... yeah, looking back on it I don't see how that would work at all, but ... um, at least it's different?

... someday after I get a scanner I want to scan all those pages onto my computer... I still have the folders full of the 'games' I designed. :)

... anyway, my point was, Eromit Empire had continents. I might just do that. It depends if I was making Eromit Empire or something like 'Adventure of the Black Falcon Knights', which would have a smaller focus... maybe Secret of Mana-style combat in that one too, I'm not sure. Or at least Lunar (SCD, not GBA).

Wow...that post had a lot of smileys in it :D

Anyone want to start Writing/Making a Video Game?? - Weltall - 9th September 2005

My game had a lot to it, and I spent about five years on it (it was a project going nowhere, as you said, ABF), and since I know I'll never have the time or motivation to finish, I decided instead to take the story I wrote for it and write a novel. The story itself, in my unbiased opinion, was a rather good one, and it will translate well to a novel (in fact, better than it would a game, which may have been one of the big problems :D)

I seem to recall one area of your game...a forest. A massive forest maze that even YOU, who created it, got lost in.

Anyone want to start Writing/Making a Video Game?? - Weltall - 9th September 2005

Oh yeah, the Tearran. I've already written as far as that in the novel, though in the novel I gave the main character a ranger to help guide them (who knows it better than he claims to).

If you're interested in seeing this work in progress, click me. I'm about as far in it as I was in the development of the game (though there's far more story now), and it's about 170 pages long.

There was this ancient PC shareware game I played... you started in a maze. In a forest. At night. With no light. You can't see the walls. You can't see the path. So you randomly wander around, walking into walls. And no, I'm not kidding. The manual said 'start mapping where you're going or you'll get lost very fast. Oh, and find the town, once you get there and find a torch the game gets a lot easier'. ... wow. I mean, I've seen games before that are almost impossible to play without mapping (such as, oh, any Wizardry game before the 7th one...), but still... at least in Wizardry you can see where the wall and doors are directly next to you!

In short, there's a reason that games like that are not made anymore.

Quote:Wow...that post had a lot of smileys in it

It was long, they were needed...

Anyone want to start Writing/Making a Video Game?? - -iLluSiON- - 10th September 2005

So, HOW ABOUT THIS GAME??

Anyone want to start Writing/Making a Video Game?? - Laser Link - 10th September 2005

I'm going to get around with playing with Crystal Space someday. I tried to get OGRE running but never could even get that crap to compile. It made me sad. But I don't have time to really work on any projects right now. And that stuff is all 3D. I've done some 2D before, and found that it wasn't a lot of fun. 3D is really interesting. What would be cool is a 3D isometric style.

Anyone want to start Writing/Making a Video Game?? - Darunia - 10th September 2005

You've still declined to suggest a format for it.

Anyone want to start Writing/Making a Video Game?? - EdenMaster - 10th September 2005

We're not developers and making a game is, as you no doubt know, no mean feat. Even making something remotely enjoyable to play would take a lot of time and more people than we've got, and they'd need useful skills, and most of us are amatuers at these things.

But don't be surprised when we get off topic. It's kind of our thing :D.

Anyone want to start Writing/Making a Video Game?? - A Black Falcon - 10th September 2005

You need a concept, a plan, leadership, effort, various skills... I don't think we'd make it very far before we gave up out of laziness. :)

Anyone want to start Writing/Making a Video Game?? - Darunia - 11th September 2005

We could make a far out board game though. Smile

Anyone want to start Writing/Making a Video Game?? - N-Man - 11th September 2005

I personally have several game concepts that are more or less fleshed out. I think the only thing we're really lacking is, ah, you know, somebody who knows how to program stuff :D.

Anyone want to start Writing/Making a Video Game?? - A Black Falcon - 11th September 2005

No, that's not really the hard part, the hard part is that a real game that'd be worth making is hard to make, would take quite a bit of time, and I just don't think any of us (myself certainly included) have the patience or want to spend that much effort on it. :)

Anyone want to start Writing/Making a Video Game?? - -iLluSiON- - 11th September 2005

It doesn't have to be professional.

Anyone want to start Writing/Making a Video Game?? - Darunia - 11th September 2005

Even the most rookie amateur videogame required an enormous amount of programming. Theres no one here to provide that, and even if there were, im sure that the software is quite expensive.

Anyone want to start Writing/Making a Video Game?? - EdenMaster - 11th September 2005

Illusion, sorry to break it to you, but you're dealing with a bunch of lazy pessimists :).

Anyone want to start Writing/Making a Video Game?? - -iLluSiON- - 11th September 2005

Darunia Wrote:Even the most rookie amateur videogame required an enormous amount of programming. Theres no one here to provide that, and even if there were, im sure that the software is quite expensive.

Programming is easy if you know what you're doing. I have some friends at college who are really good with it.

And no, there are inexpensive programs.

EdenMaster Wrote:Illusion, sorry to break it to you, but you're dealing with a bunch of lazy pessimists .

Then stop being lazy.. :weird:

Anyone want to start Writing/Making a Video Game?? - A Black Falcon - 11th September 2005

Quote:Illusion, sorry to break it to you, but you're dealing with a bunch of lazy pessimists .

Yup, that about sums it up...