Tendo City
Kino's Journey - Printable Version

+- Tendo City (https://www.tendocity.net)
+-- Forum: Tendo City: Metropolitan District (https://www.tendocity.net/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+--- Forum: Ramble City (https://www.tendocity.net/forumdisplay.php?fid=44)
+--- Thread: Kino's Journey (/showthread.php?tid=3176)

Kino's Journey - Great Rumbler - 6th September 2005

Describing Kino's Journey is no easy thing since there's simply NOTHING to compare it to. It's unlike any anime I've ever seen, even Serial Experiments Lain. In fact, the two series have the same director: Ryotaru Nakamura. The best thing I've come up with to describe it is that it's like a course in human psychology, but more interesting.

To put it simply, Kino's Journey is about a person named Kino who travels with a talking motorad [or motorcycle] named Hermes. Kino merely observes other people and rarely makes judgement about their cultures and belief. However, it's not just a journey through different lands but a journey through the human mind, each episode focusing on a certain [fantasy] country and how the humans who live there...well...live. One episode is about a land where the people can read the minds of everyone else and another is about a land of peace but things are not what they seem. It's an episodic series with no real overall story arc, but that doesn't stop it from being one of the best anime series that I've ever seen.

The animation in Kino's Journey isn't too impressive on a technical level, but on the other hand it seems like a prosession of beautiful paintings. The music is some of the best I've heard and fits well in the series.

Final thoughts: For those who want an anime that makes them think and doesn't need action every five seconds to keep their attention will find Kino's Journey to be one of the greatest anime series ever made. It's that good.

Kino's Journey - A Black Falcon - 6th September 2005

I want to see it... :(

Kino's Journey - Geno - 6th September 2005

When I saw this thread, I figured maybe it was a sequal (or rather, a spinoff) to Chrono Trigger involving the NPC Kino. That'd be interesting, to say the least.

Just watch One Million Years B.C.

Besides, Ayla was a more interesting character. Kino was just a sidekick.

Kino's Journey - Geno - 6th September 2005

Yeah, there was no point in having two cave people. Kino served his purpose best as an NPC rather than a main character. My only disappointment with Ayla is that she had no side quest after the Ocean Palace incident. Crono had the resurrection thing, Marle had the thing with her father and the Rainbow Shell, Lucca had the thing with her mother, Frog had the thing with Cyrus's grave, Robo had Geno Dome, and Magus had a score to settle with his henchmen plus the Black Omen.

Okay, I've drifted off topic. Continue discussion of the anime Kino's Journey.

There won't be much to discuss since no one besides me has seen it.

Kino's Journey - A Black Falcon - 7th September 2005

OB1 watched a few episodes, if I remember, but did he ever get around to finishing it?

Kino's Journey - Great Rumbler - 7th September 2005

I don't know if he watched the last 3 episodes, but do know that he watched the rest of them.

Oh, right... the whole 'but the last three are some of the best' thing. ... I bet he never got around to it. :)

Kino's Journey - Great Rumbler - 7th September 2005

If he did he never said anything about it.

Which means probably no.

Kino's Journey - Dark Jaguar - 7th September 2005

Hey, Ayla had a side quest. The... ruby armor... which wasn't even as good as the red mail...

But yeah, that sorta gets me.

Also, here's a glitch. If you play a new game + and try to take that new game's Frog to Spekkio, Spekkio doesn't do his little scene involving the toad. Now, Frog has his magic anyway, since it's a new game +, but hey he goes through the old scenes with Chrono, Lucca, even Ayla (who's tail spin attack actually seems to do non-elemental magic, try putting her in the lead (since that's the only way to get her close enough) and fighting spekkio), but Frog gets left out in the cold? I mean, he's the cold blooded one, he's most succeptible to dying in the cold! But anyway, Ayla does have that whole thing where if you reach level 96 or so, her fists turn bronze (from iron, since at a certain level she hits that one) and her critical hits do 9999, which is always fun.

Here's an odd situation. Whenever I start a truly new game of CT and start leveling up in the black omen, at some really high level I see this odd message like "got wolfblad sword" or something, but all garbled up and barely readable. Nothing appears in my inventory, just some odd message I've never been able to figure out.

Kino's Journey - Great Rumbler - 8th September 2005

Please note: This thread has NOTHING to do with Chrono Trigger or any of its characters. Thanks you.

Kino's Journey - Geno - 8th September 2005

Yes, we know, but since when do we stay on topic for very long?

Yeah, I guess the Ruby Vest thing can sort of count as an Ayla side quest, even though you don't need Ayla in your party to do it. Okay, so you don't need Magus in your party to do his side quests either, but you get special Magus-related dialogue if you take him along. But I suppose by that logic, Crono's side quest isn't really a Crono side quest since it involves bringing him back to life and therefore you can't have him in your party even if you wanted to.

Well, Ayla's a cool character anyway. She's also a strong fighter, so you'll be using her in your party a lot anyway.

Kino's Journey - A Black Falcon - 9th November 2006

(Spoilers! Keep out if you haven't watched the series!)

Well, in case we don't get that other thread back... I just think that there is an important distinction between innocent deaths and combat ones... though in modern warfare that line has been blurred -- with the modern idea of the nation-state where all people are targets (otherwise there is no way to justify what we did in WWII (carpet bombing cities, etc)... I'd say it was probably unjustifiable, but that was the justification...), but even so, what they do in that episode just isn't okay. I know that you say that war doesn't always have a peaceful alternative, but not everything is a worst-case scenario... England and France were bitter enemies for centuries, but haven't fought a war against eachother since the defeat of Napoleon in 1815 and are now allies... and, while mutual distrust of Germany did push that at times, it wasn't the only factor. There must be a way to solve those two nations' problems that doesn't involve slaughtering random tribes of weaker people...

(as for that end part, that's different since Kino had no choice... it was a clear "shoot or be killed" situation. The situation in the town wasn't quite that clear... though I can see how they might see it that way, since they were the ones dying, as I said, trading other peoples' deaths for your peoples' certainly will make you happier, but if there's no real justification for it (ie, they haven't done anything to deserve it), is that really moral?

Oh, there are no issues about the last episode. It was completely nonsensical... I cannot imagine how any real people would decide to commit mass suicide (essentially) instead of simply leaving town and rebuilding. It's just so unbelievable... shocking, of course, and incredibly cruel, but I have serious trouble trying to imagine real people acting that way...

Kino's Journey - A Black Falcon - 17th November 2006

... GR?

Kino's Journey - Great Rumbler - 17th November 2006

My thread about the book dissapeared. :(

Kino's Journey - A Black Falcon - 17th November 2006

:(

I was trying to continue our debate, though, but yeah, that post was good...