Tendo City
!Darunia Remembers the Classics: SUPER MARIO 64! - Printable Version

+- Tendo City (https://www.tendocity.net)
+-- Forum: Tendo City: Metropolitan District (https://www.tendocity.net/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+--- Forum: Ramble City (https://www.tendocity.net/forumdisplay.php?fid=44)
+--- Thread: !Darunia Remembers the Classics: SUPER MARIO 64! (/showthread.php?tid=3165)

!Darunia Remembers the Classics: SUPER MARIO 64! - Darunia - 4th September 2005

Here's truly one of the best games ever made, and yet I for one give it far too little credit. So many great, vast levels...

my favorite levels were Dire, Dire Docks (they really are so dire!), the giant Clock one, Hazy Maze Cave, Big Boo's Haunt, and... three or four of the latter-most ones... but God help me, I've forgotten what they were called.

I never like Shifting Sand Land or the lava world.

Now it's your turn!

!Darunia Remembers the Classics: SUPER MARIO 64! - Dark Jaguar - 4th September 2005

Lava world was a little on the small side, but I enjoyed the shifting sand lands.

I bet for you SM64 is like touching creation or something. That's so cute.

!Darunia Remembers the Classics: SUPER MARIO 64! - A Black Falcon - 4th September 2005

Good game, fun, first N64 game I played, got it with the console and OoT, and OoT was a lot better... still good though. Few 3d platformers have matched it since...

!Darunia Remembers the Classics: SUPER MARIO 64! - The Former DMiller - 5th September 2005

Mario 64 was great. My favorite memory of that game is just fooling around in the castle courtyard at the beginning of the game learning how Mario moved in 3D.

!Darunia Remembers the Classics: SUPER MARIO 64! - Great Rumbler - 5th September 2005

The first time I ever played this was back in late '96 at the local Wal-Mart and it blew me away. Before then I'd NEVER played a truly 3D game before. I immediately put it on my Christmas list and on that day I got it. I played it everyday for a year. So much fun.

!Darunia Remembers the Classics: SUPER MARIO 64! - Geno - 5th September 2005

I missed out on this one. I rented it a few times back in the day, but I never bought it and therefore never played a whole lot of it. I am ashamed. :(

!Darunia Remembers the Classics: SUPER MARIO 64! - A Black Falcon - 5th September 2005

I first played it in summer ... '96? Yeah, '96, in a nintendo arcade thing in an amusement park in Quebec... it was a two or three level demo of the Japanese version. So my favorite memory I guess is of the level I played there, the Whomp's Fortress one...

!Darunia Remembers the Classics: SUPER MARIO 64! - Darunia - 5th September 2005

I only got it in '98, and even then I'd never wanted it that much... but shit, once I got it, I had to beat it. I loved every Goomba-stomping minute of it, too... this game defines 8th grade for me.

!Darunia Remembers the Classics: SUPER MARIO 64! - Weltall - 5th September 2005

That whole game was great.

Too bad Sunshine wasn't nearly as good.

Damn, I should get a DS and buy the DS version of the game then, shouldn't I? Or I could try and get the N64 version at a flea market or something.

!Darunia Remembers the Classics: SUPER MARIO 64! - Weltall - 5th September 2005

I didn't like the DS version myself. The N64's controller is far better suited for the game.

Though I don't get to play as Luigi, Wario, or Yoshi on the N64. Oh well, probably isn't much of an improvement. (Like being able to play Meta Knight in Kirby: Nightmare in Dream Land. It's nothing special except that you're now playing as Meta Knight. Woo hoo. Oh look, now you have to fight Meta Knight AS Meta Knight. That makes a lot of sense, doesn't it?)

Yeah, I'll probably just get the N64 version. Heh, I played through Starfox 64 today. I've still got it after all these years. I took the hardest path and even set a new 2nd place record on my scoreboard.

!Darunia Remembers the Classics: SUPER MARIO 64! - Dark Jaguar - 5th September 2005

Expert or Normal mode?

I still haven't unlocked the last two medals to unlock expert mode...

Anyway, yeah in Kirby Canvas Curse they let you play as other characters too, and in fact to get 100% you have to go through the entire game with all 5 characters. Pretty pointless in the end because the game isn't much different at all with the other characters... Dedede sinks in the water and is huge, and Meta Knight has this sword slash effect if he kills an enemy, but it kinda got boring actually. Canvas Curse IS a great game, but those extra characters ran a good thing into the ground.

SM64 on DS is different though. The other characters actually have their own abilities. Um, actually all their flower abilities are actually Mario Cap abilities in SM64 on N64... Except, now they are divided up among the characters. So, only Mario can use the flying cap, only Luigi can walk through some walls, only Wario can turn to metal. Yoshi can't wear hats, but he can do one unique ability, he can eat enemies and make eggs to throw at other enemies. Also, things like Wario being slow but strong, Luigi jumping in that weird fluttery way from SMB2, and Yoshi being able to do a flutter kick. Basically, you need to switch back and forth if you want to get all the stars this time around, plus some of the original stars are changed. Plus, there are 30 entirely new stars.

However, as Weltall said, the major flaw is the controls. That touch screen is just awkward. I never got used to it. Hypothetically it should let you control the characters with full range of motion like the stick did, but their execution leaves something to be desired. It's impossible to really "feel" how far you have pressed to the side of the center position. The tactile feedback is something I never even thought about before the touch screen, but now I realize just how important feeling the stick's resistance truly is. So, you end up trying to stand still and overcompensating repeatedly, ending up looking at the touch screen to see if you are in the dead zone yet. Suffice it to say, I gave it up and used the d-pad the entire game. Awkward, but it worked better than the touch screen...

Anyway, the PSP actually has an awesome stick design. Having actually used one, let me explain. The stick doesn't "stick out" at all, but it turns out that was never needed in stick design. The end that you shove around is just sort of there, almost looking like a button, only it can be slid around within a certain range. It has that tactile feedback so you know how far you are holding it at any time. Further, because of it's very low profile and the fact that it is "slid around" rather than tilted, you won't ever have to worry about breaking the stick when carrying it around. It'll just slide at worst. Plus, it's as easy to control as any stick I've used yet, so it really is pretty great. Now, Sony put it in a bad spot on the system, from my limited use, but that can be fixed.

What I'm saying is, Nintendo should have stuck an analog stick like that one on the DS.

Anyway, the minigames they added to the DS version all work just fine with the touch screen, namely because they are all designed around it. For example, drawing trampolines for Mario to bounce off of.

So, what I'm saying is that while the DS version added a lot, that game was really designed around the control stick. Had they added one, PSP style, to the DS, the DS would not be lacking in control methods. As it is, the touch screen is great when used correctly, but not as a replacement for direct character control.

Also, the DS is still a tad heavy and hurts my wrists after extended play. If they just didn't bother with that top screen and made a massive widescreen instead, it wouldn't be foldable, but it would be smaller and I could just get a protective sleeve for it.

!Darunia Remembers the Classics: SUPER MARIO 64! - Geno - 6th September 2005

I see. In which case, I'll probably just get the N64 version once I have the money for it.

!Darunia Remembers the Classics: SUPER MARIO 64! - Darunia - 6th September 2005

I've always kept my N64 plugged in, even if I've had year-long lulls of inactivity with it, and I still have all of my games. Originals are always best. :)

All of my systems are plugged in. And I still have most of my games. When my Game Boy Pocket was stolen, I traded Starfox 64 for my friend's Super Game Boy, but later on, I bought a Game Boy Color, and since I sucked at Jet Force Gemini and he sucked at Starfox 64, but I was good at Starfox 64 and he was good at JFG, we traded the two games and so SF64 is now back in my possession. I also made the mistake of buying a used copy of Superman 64 for $30 and so I later traded it at EB Games for a measly $4 credit. (Though I can't blame them, the game isn't worth any more than that.) Other than JFG and Superman, I still have every N64 game that I've ever owned.

!Darunia Remembers the Classics: SUPER MARIO 64! - A Black Falcon - 6th September 2005

Quote:I still haven't unlocked the last two medals to unlock expert mode...

I never managed to get the medal on Venom in expert and thus unlock the characters in multiplayer... that's really hard to do! Just getting that far in Expert isn't a given... especially if you're trying to go via the hardest route. :)

I never unlocked Expert mode. I only got one medal, on Venom 2. Perhaps if I played the game more often like I used to, I'd have Expert mode and all the medals on Expert mode by now.

!Darunia Remembers the Classics: SUPER MARIO 64! - A Black Falcon - 6th September 2005

Getting all the medals on Normal is a challenge, but is definitely doable... I did it, after all. :)

!Darunia Remembers the Classics: SUPER MARIO 64! - CoconutCommander - 6th September 2005

I like riding turtle shells

!Darunia Remembers the Classics: SUPER MARIO 64! - Dark Jaguar - 7th September 2005

That is fun, and in lava world you pretty much have free reign of the place if you get on one. Very easy to get those 100 coins...

The frustrating thing has always been if I fail to get a medal I have to play through the whole game to get to those levels again. It's those last two before Venon; that huge one where you need 300 and Bolse. Anyway, Bolse is annoying because I can't figure out where I can even GET the points I need. I make sure to get there with Star Wolf still alive, I take them all out myself, I take out as many of those flyers as I can, and I make sure to eliminate the boss, and I do it all without my team dying on me. I always manage to fall short.

!Darunia Remembers the Classics: SUPER MARIO 64! - Geno - 7th September 2005

Well, take note that you don't score kills that your team members make. I'm sure you already knew that, but... despite how much it pisses them off, try to take out all the enemies they're going after before they do. That may not help much, but... eh.

!Darunia Remembers the Classics: SUPER MARIO 64! - A Black Falcon - 7th September 2005

Yeah, true... fortunately, they don't make many kills. :)

I remember trying to beat that game via the hardest path in Expert a month or two ago... I got pretty far, but got stuck at ... Zoness? I'm not sure, but I remember getting all the lightpost things in Expert is extremely hard, and I don't believe that I managed to destroy them all and then beat the boss before running out of lives. ... at least I think that's where I died, I'm not certain... I didn't get to Venom, anyway. (I have beaten Venom on Expert before... not sure about which paths, however. I just never managed to get the medal, which requires a lot of kills...)

!Darunia Remembers the Classics: SUPER MARIO 64! - -iLluSiON- - 7th September 2005

I wouldn't consider Mario64 a classic. Video games were around much longer before that game came out. You'd have to say that was like a 3rd generation classic. But then again, that would make it seem stupid, now wouldn't it?

!Darunia Remembers the Classics: SUPER MARIO 64! - The Former DMiller - 7th September 2005

Just because something wasn't around at the beginning doesn't mean it wasn't a classic. People wrote plays way before Shakespeare, and yet his plays are considered "classics." If you really want to mince words we can call Mario 64 a modern classic.

!Darunia Remembers the Classics: SUPER MARIO 64! - -iLluSiON- - 8th September 2005

Well, I'm sorry. when I think of classic video games, I think of stuff I played on Atari, Nintendo, SNES, Genesis or game boy (and a few other systems).
To me, the video game classics all live in the 16 bit or below world. When Playstation and N64 came out, a whole new generation of videos games came a long with it. It's not that they're not classics, it's just that there's thousands of games that came out before them.
Given the short history of videogaming, Mario64 is indeed a classic game, just not of the original generation. Is it one of the best games of all time? no. I don't think so. there's better games. It was enjoyable, but not as enjoyable as 8 bit. Sorry folks. I turned onto computer gaming when N64 came out. I'm not much of a modern gamer. I still play NES, SNES, and Genesis more than any other modern gaming system.

!Darunia Remembers the Classics: SUPER MARIO 64! - -iLluSiON- - 8th September 2005

BTW, the Sven Co-op map "toonrun" has a much better version of what Mario64 should have been like. ;)

!Darunia Remembers the Classics: SUPER MARIO 64! - A Black Falcon - 8th September 2005

I would say that "Classic" doesn't really refer to age as much as it does to quality... though it's certainly also used to refer to age, irregardless of quality, it's probably better used for quality games... though yeah it does also imply some sense of agelessness, so it's best to look back a bit before calling it a classic... but N64 isn't the current generation for sure, so certainly games on that platform can be classics. And if anything on the N64 is a classic, Mario 64 is...

A Black Falcon Wrote:I would say that "Classic" doesn't really refer to age as much as it does to quality... though it's certainly also used to refer to age, irregardless of quality, it's probably better used for quality games... though yeah it does also imply some sense of agelessness, so it's best to look back a bit before calling it a classic... but N64 isn't the current generation for sure, so certainly games on that platform can be classics. And if anything on the N64 is a classic, Mario 64 is...

Yeah, Mario64 was definitely one of the better N64 games..

!Darunia Remembers the Classics: SUPER MARIO 64! - A Black Falcon - 8th September 2005

There are a lot of great N64 games, but Mario 64 stands out as one of the most original, and probably most important, games in gaming history... along with stuff like Pong and Super Mario Bros. :)

!Darunia Remembers the Classics: SUPER MARIO 64! - TheBiggah - 8th September 2005

Classics:
Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time
GoldenEye 007
Mario 64

Cult Classics:
Jet Force Gemini
Blast Corps

-TheBiggah-

Did you guys play too much N64 or something?? lol.

There's other systems you know..

!Darunia Remembers the Classics: SUPER MARIO 64! - Geno - 8th September 2005

No one said SM64 was a classic of the original generation, just that it was a classic. It was a milestone in the leap from 2D to 3D, so I'd say we can consider it a classic at this point, in a time where 3D games dominate and 2D games are for handhelds.

As for ABF's problem with not getting enough kills on Zoness: one small hint, like with what I told DJ, is that you don't gain points for your allies' kills. Destroying a search light counts as a kill, so don't let Katt or Falco or anybody destroy the search lights. Try and destroy them before they can. It's also worth noting that you can only get a Mission Accomplished rather than a Mission Complete on Zoness if you destroy all the search lights.

No, the issue on Zoness is destroying the seachlights. Venom is where it's hard to get enough kills (in Expert, given that I've gotten all the medals in Normal)... I only care about the Venom medal because supposedly in Expert you only need the Venom medal to unlock the characters in multiplayer, not all the medals (of course, SF64 multiplayer is incredibly bad, so it'd just be for fun, but hey... it's a fun game...).

Geno Wrote:No one said SM64 was a classic of the original generation, just that it was a classic. It was a milestone in the leap from 2D to 3D, so I'd say we can consider it a classic at this point, in a time where 3D games dominate and 2D games are for handhelds.

I'd wished Mario and Zelda stayed to their 2 dimensions. Eek I said it. Shoot me.

!Darunia Remembers the Classics: SUPER MARIO 64! - Darunia - 8th September 2005

Arrest that man!!