Tendo City
Why Nirvana Isn't Good. - Printable Version

+- Tendo City (https://www.tendocity.net)
+-- Forum: Tendo City: Metropolitan District (https://www.tendocity.net/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+--- Forum: Ramble City (https://www.tendocity.net/forumdisplay.php?fid=44)
+--- Thread: Why Nirvana Isn't Good. (/showthread.php?tid=3157)

Why Nirvana Isn't Good. - CoconutCommander - 2nd September 2005

I want a list. Not just any list, a comprehensive list of ONLY reasons why the band Nirvana and their music suck. If you have something good to say about Nirvana, please keep your thoughts to yourself.

I'll start.

- They are way too overplayed, I am tired of hearing the same 30 Nirvana songs on the radio, it is time they came out with some new material.
- Kurt Cobain was holding Dave Grohl back.

Why Nirvana Isn't Good. - Great Rumbler - 2nd September 2005

Okay.

Why Nirvana Isn't Good. - CoconutCommander - 2nd September 2005

The reason I started this thread is to get interesting feedback. Stretch your imaginations. This a topic that no one else has the balls to talk about. Be apart of something. Nirvana is not holy. It is okay to be nonconformist.

Why Nirvana Isn't Good. - Dark Lord Neo - 2nd September 2005

I definitly think that Dave Grohl is more talented than Kurt Cobain was. The Foo Fighters are awesome.

Why Nirvana Isn't Good. - Geno - 2nd September 2005

I agree, Nirvana sucks.

Why Nirvana Isn't Good. - Great Rumbler - 2nd September 2005

I've never heard one of the songs before.

Why Nirvana Isn't Good. - Undertow - 2nd September 2005

Great Rumbler Wrote:I've never heard one of the songs before.

That's informative.

My addition:

- Kurt's "singing" is obnoxious

While I like to make fun of Kurt Cobain, I don't think he's as terrible as some people claim or as outragiously fantastic as others claim. His music is "okay" in my mind, even though the Nirvana unplugged album is the only one by them I can stand listening to more than once. And I have to agree with Dark Lord Neo that Grohl is considerably more talented. I like the new Foo Fighters. =]

Why Nirvana Isn't Good. - Weltall - 2nd September 2005

They made grunge cool. I can't forgive them for that.

Why Nirvana Isn't Good. - N-Man - 2nd September 2005

Oh thank you so much. Nirvana sucks. WE WANT HEAVY!! METAL!!!

*Vinnie Vincent jumps out of N-Man's avatar and shoots a bolt of lightning from his guitar to smite grunge*

Why Nirvana Isn't Good. - CoconutCommander - 3rd September 2005

Except KISS isn't metal, and KISS is just as bad...no, worse than NIRVANA. KISS can only claim one hit song, whereas NIRVANA can claim 236 consecutive number one hits. Plus face paint? Come on, real musicians don't need gimmicks.

Why Nirvana Isn't Good. - Geno - 3rd September 2005

Good metal bands = Black Sabbath, Iron Maiden, Metallica (pre-Black)

Why Nirvana Isn't Good. - N-Man - 3rd September 2005

Oh okay they're not heavy metal thanks for telling me man

Oh and hit songs, you're right, Nirvana is a true powerhouse only surpassed by the likes of the Backstreet Boys. And besides what the hell are you talking about. Nirvana is 100x more of a one hit wonder (DUN DUDUDUN DUN DUNN DU DUN I FEEL STUPID) than KISS with their 16 platinum and 10 gold records. And I won't even respond to that comment about "gimmicks". You greatly deceive me. Alternative boy. I bet you like Coldplay.

Why Nirvana Isn't Good. - Dark Lord Neo - 3rd September 2005

Geno Wrote:Good metal bands = Black Sabbath, Iron Maiden, Metallica (pre-Black)
Don't forget Megadeth.

I use to like Nirvana, when I was like 13. I still like some of their songs, but I definitly think they're overrated. They do have a few really good songs, but about half of them are covers of other peoples stuff.
I listen to a wide variaty of music. Bob Dylan and the Rolling Stones are my favorite musicians, but I also like Stone Temple Pilots, Eric Clapton, Pearl Jam, Cold Play, The Beatles, Tom Petty, Metallica, Megadeth, Led Zeppelin, Bad Religion, Rush, Alice in Chains, Nine Inch Nails, Cat Stevens, David Bowie and others.

Why Nirvana Isn't Good. - The Former DMiller - 3rd September 2005

How can Guns n' Roses be left out of a list of good metal bands? They are kind of a mix between hard rock and metal, but I'd definitely put them on a list of the best metal bands. Judas Priest is also a pretty good metal band, and I think their album British Steel is one of the best metal albums of all-time.

And Nirvana is definitely overrated. I think everyone has covered the reasons pretty well, though.

Quote:You greatly deceive me. Alternative boy. I bet you like Coldplay.
Alternative boy? Thats why I started this thread, to trash the forerunners of Alternative.

No, I don't listen to Coldplay, but I will admit they are better than KISS and Nirvana.

KISS fans/idiots insult themselves enough by listening to crappy music and liking it. You know who has more gold and paltinum records than your band KISS there? Barbara Striesand (55p, 42g), Reba McEntire (32p, 20g), Linda Ronstadt (28p, 17g), Rod Stewart (20g), so don't try to use album sales as an arguement for good music.

Do you want a list of bands I listen to?
40 below summer, Memento, Unloco, Grade 8, Twisted Method, Superjoint Ritual, Shadows Fall, Killswitch Engage, Children of Bodom, Satyricon, In Flames, Chimiara, Mushroomhead, Zebrahead, Sevendust, Ill Nino, Lamb of God, Porcupine Tree, Dimmu Borgir, Soilwork, Mudvayne, Atreyu, Machine Head, HIM, Avenged Sevenfold, Soulfly, Himsa, The Agony Scene, Damageplan, God Forbid, Trivium, The Black Dahlia Murder, Unearth, Cradle of Filth, Probot, 3 Inches of Blood, Bleeding Through, Every Tme I Die, Blood Has Been Shed, Deicide, Twelve Tribes, The Dillenger Escape Plan, Eightteen Visions, Martyr A.D., All That Remains, Black Label Society, Weezer, Electric Six, Tech N9ne, Black Eyed Peas, the Beatles, the Doors...
...the point is, nothing on the radio.

I don't decieve you. I just think you listen to trash. I hate performance rockers like KISS, Rolling Stones and Aerosmith.

Nirvana's Kurt Cocaine, had that "I don't want to be famous" attitude, and everyone loved him for being such a fallen angel. He was constantly depressed and suicidal. I guess if I were such a bitch I'd kill myself too.

Why Nirvana Isn't Good. - Great Rumbler - 3rd September 2005

For me it doesn't get much better than Van Halen, Pink Floyd, and Queen.

Why Nirvana Isn't Good. - Weltall - 3rd September 2005

Yes, yes, and... well, sometimes.

Oh, I forgot Queen, Pink Floyd and Syd Barrett. Guns n' Roses are good too, I like Velvet Revolver better though.

Velvet Revolver is an anachronism. They belong in the 80s. I swear.

Well, most of what I listen to belongs in the 60's, 70's or 80's so it makes no difference to me, and considering 3/5 members are from one of the biggest bands of the late 80's/early 90's is that really suprising?

Why Nirvana Isn't Good. - Undertow - 3rd September 2005

Alternative is a stupid blanket label that covers anything from Faith No More to Radiohead, even though they sound absolutely nothing alike. I like any kind of music that catches my ear since exclusively listening to one type of genre is boring. Also, anyone claiming superiority by the music they listen to (I R more metalar than u lolol, etc) needs to revaluate their hobbies.

Why Nirvana Isn't Good. - Geno - 3rd September 2005

DMiller Wrote:How can Guns n' Roses be left out of a list of good metal bands? They are kind of a mix between hard rock and metal, but I'd definitely put them on a list of the best metal bands.

I never really considered them a full-fledged metal band, but if I did, I would've listed them first.

Other bands I like include Led Zeppelin, Queen, Pink Floyd, and The Beatles.

Why Nirvana Isn't Good. - N-Man - 5th September 2005

I love how all the music snobs brag that they don't listen to music that's "pop" and on the radio, and then list the Beatles as one of their favorite bands, probably THE most pop and radio-friendly band ever. And dude, don't talk to me about radio hits if you don't think plat and gold records are worth anything. That's what I'm saying.

Listen Coconuts if you think I listen to trash that's great, but I think it rocks and it's even better with shit blowing up everywhere and blood and masks and six inch stilettos. And you know, I listen to Children of Bodom and 3 Inches of Blood too, though I must say that listening to as much metalcore as on your list would make my head explode. Also BEP are on the radio ALL THE TIME and are really grating so don't use them as an example. Please.

Anyways you should listen to more KISS, I thought you liked Coldplay so you were a lost cause but it's not so bad. War Machine off the Creatures of the Night album has a crushing riff, Gene's voice is outlandish, and the drums on that whole disc are killer. Check it out.

Neo: I went to see 'Deth with Dream Theater et al on Friday. It was awesome. When I saw Metallica they closed with Seek and Destroy and that was crazy, but Megadave gave them a run for their money with Holy Wars. He just said "Okay, this is gonna be the last one... this is about what happens when you mix religion with politics." and launched into the riff. Crazy I say.

Why Nirvana Isn't Good. - Smoke - 5th September 2005

You want the number one reason why Nirvana sucks? They made Courtney Love famous. :(

And Soundgarden were much better.

Why Nirvana Isn't Good. - CoconutCommander - 5th September 2005

N-Man, you are putting far too many words in my mouth. I never said I don't listen to pop or even that i don't like pop. So far the only things I've said I don't like are KISS, Nirvana and the radio. The list of bands I made wasn't all inclusive, it's just what was on my playlist at time. Bands that are on the radio now will be better in the future when the songs that are being overplayed now are not being overplayed anymore. For instance, I hated Trapt and N'Sync when both of them were on the radio. But now they aren't so bad and I can stand them, even enjoy them. I prefer metal because I prefer metal, that doesn't mean I exclude all other music based on principle, I don't.

Radio hits and gold/platinum records are not synoymous. You can have a gold record without having a radio hit, and you can have a radio hit (several) without having a gold record. Usually bands that have gold and platinum records without having radio hits have so because they are riding their names and not their music.

KISS sucks. There is NO possible way you can disprove this.

Why Nirvana Isn't Good. - Geno - 5th September 2005

I don't care how popular a band is. I hate Nirvana because they suck, end of story. The Beatles may have enjoyed the same popularity in the 60's that the Backstreet Boys enjoyed in the late 90's and early 00's, but the big difference is that the Beatles were good. (Music can be friendly and still be good. It doesn't all have to be sex, drugs, and rock n' roll, though drugs would certainly play a role in the Beatles' music in their later years.)

As for KISS, I don't have much of an opinion on them. I don't hate them, but I'm not a fan of them either.

Why Nirvana Isn't Good. - Dark Lord Neo - 7th September 2005

N-Man Wrote:Neo: I went to see 'Deth with Dream Theater et al on Friday. It was awesome. When I saw Metallica they closed with Seek and Destroy and that was crazy, but Megadave gave them a run for their money with Holy Wars. He just said "Okay, this is gonna be the last one... this is about what happens when you mix religion with politics." and launched into the riff. Crazy I say.
Ya, I saw them yesterday only Anthrax was there instead of Dream Theater. Anthrax put on quite a show too

Why Nirvana Isn't Good. - -iLluSiON- - 8th September 2005

The Nirvana songs that aren't played on the radio are pretty decent..

Why Nirvana Isn't Good. - Geno - 8th September 2005

Weird Al's "Smells Like Nirvana" kicks ass.

Why Nirvana Isn't Good. - CoconutCommander - 9th September 2005

Weird Al kicks ass. Everything he does kicks ass. He is the most versatile musician in existence.

Why Nirvana Isn't Good. - Geno - 9th September 2005

Yeah, Weird Al rules. My brother recently gave me his "Off the Deep End" CD. It's freakin' awesome.

Why Nirvana Isn't Good. - CoconutCommander - 10th September 2005

The "Food Album" was the first cassette tape I ever owned, and then when CDs came out "Bad Hair Day" was my first CD.

Why Nirvana Isn't Good. - -iLluSiON- - 10th September 2005

Geno Wrote:Good metal bands = Black Sabbath, Iron Maiden, Metallica (pre-Black)

YOU DON'T EVEN KNOW HOW MANY THINGS ARE WRONG WITH THAT STATEMENT!

Why Nirvana Isn't Good. - CoconutCommander - 10th September 2005

u tell em, illusion

Why Nirvana Isn't Good. - Laser Link - 10th September 2005

I'm curious how anyone could have 236 consecutive number ones. I'd actually be surprised if more than 10 bands had ever recorded 236 songs.

The only band in this list I could say I like is The Agony Scene, and I'm not a huge fan. Some bands I like get airplay, like Switchfoot or Relient K and maybe a few others. But I liked them many years before MTV played their videos and I'm not going to drop them now just because they are kinda popular. That's stupid.

Lately I've been listening to bands like Underoath, He Is Legend, Showbread, Mewithoutyou, and Blindside. Listen at purevolume.com if you are curious. And actually I've been pulling out a lot of ska, especially the Supertones. Partially because I just saw the Tones one last time so I'm reminiscing and partially because it's been real hot lately and I'm pretending it's summer in Cali. And we all know ska is great happy summer on the beach music.

Why Nirvana Isn't Good. - Geno - 11th September 2005

-iLluSiON- Wrote:YOU DON'T EVEN KNOW HOW MANY THINGS ARE WRONG WITH THAT STATEMENT!

I listen to more classic rock than metal, so... nyeh.

Guns n' Roses > everyone here

Why Nirvana Isn't Good. - Great Rumbler - 11th September 2005

Queen > Guns n' Roses

Why Nirvana Isn't Good. - CoconutCommander - 11th September 2005

This post isn't saying anything important so feel free to skip it and read the next few.

Why Nirvana Isn't Good. - Dark Lord Neo - 12th September 2005

Laser Link Wrote:I'd actually be surprised if more than 10 bands had ever recorded 236 songs.
There's probably more than 10 bands. I currently have 381 Bob Dylan songs, and I only have a small portion of his catologue

Why Nirvana Isn't Good. - Geno - 15th September 2005

Great Rumbler Wrote:Queen > Guns n' Roses

If anyone is better than Guns n' Roses, then yes, it's Queen. Freddie Mercury has (had) the most talented voice ever.

Why Nirvana Isn't Good. - Geno - 2nd June 2006

Oh shit, I made the mistake of saying "Nirvana sucks" last night and I got chewed up for it... by someone who, earlier in the day, had said "The Beatles suck." Call me silly, but that pisses me off to no end that they would go on about how Nirvana is the greatest band in the whole fucking world and that Kurt Cobain is the most talented songwriter ever... they're not even in the top 100 for God's sake. It also pisses me off to see these grunge punks comparing Cobain to John Lennon. Lennon was possibly the single most influential musician of the twentieth century. Cobain was maybe half a step up from a mall punk. But seriously, Nirvana sucks and so do the posers that worship them. Silly as this may sound, it's been bugging me all day. Nirvana is not to be likened to The Beatles, let alone called the greatest band ever by someone who, earlier in the day, said that The Beatles suck.