Tendo City
Remember your favorite Cheat Codes? - Printable Version

+- Tendo City (https://www.tendocity.net)
+-- Forum: Tendo City: Metropolitan District (https://www.tendocity.net/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+--- Forum: Ramble City (https://www.tendocity.net/forumdisplay.php?fid=44)
+--- Thread: Remember your favorite Cheat Codes? (/showthread.php?tid=3149)

Remember your favorite Cheat Codes? - CoconutCommander - 28th August 2005

Remember when video games used to have codes and cheats that could be unlocked by pressing certain button combinations?

Without looking them up, can anyone still remember their codes? What is your favorite?

My favorite is the full power cheat from Gradius III. Pause the game and press Up, Up, Down, Down, L, R, L, R, B, A. Be careful though, it is dangerously similar to the self destruct cheat. Pause the game and press Up, Up, Down, Down, Left, Right, Left, Right, B, A, Start.

Remember your favorite Cheat Codes? - Dark Jaguar - 28th August 2005

Yes yes yes... that's the Konami code and pretty much ALL of Konami's old games used it in some form or another.

Remember your favorite Cheat Codes? - Weltall - 28th August 2005

ABBACAB

If you flash back to 1993, and remember what was by far the most popular video game of that year, you may have an idea what this code was and which game used it.

Remember your favorite Cheat Codes? - A Black Falcon - 28th August 2005

I wish the Konami Code worked in Gradius: The Interstellar Assualt for GB... :)

Remember your favorite Cheat Codes? - Laser Link - 29th August 2005

That's gotta be a Sonic code, because only the Genny (and the Cube) had 'C' buttons (or sticks) and only Sonic was actually popular on the Genny.

So taking a guess, I'd say it's the debug code, cause that was pretty sweet.

I've seen shirts that have the Konami code on them. Pretty sweet.

Remember your favorite Cheat Codes? - A Black Falcon - 29th August 2005

The Gradius III modification of the Konami Code (Left/Right to L/R) was clever, I must say... of course it doesn't hurt that Gradius III is a fantastic game. :)

Remember your favorite Cheat Codes? - The Former DMiller - 29th August 2005

The Konami code is the only code I really remember. I didn't use codes all that much, but that one just sticks in the mind. I have a lot of friends who don't even play videogames anymore, but can still recite that code from memory.

Remember your favorite Cheat Codes? - CoconutCommander - 29th August 2005

I remember only one other code. The Lion King had the code B,A,R,R,Y at the options menu. This was of course for SNES. I think because it is an acronym it's easy to remember. It brought up a level select menu, where you could also toggle invulnerability on or off.

Lion King for GB has a level skip code, pause (select, start has a function) and then press BAABAA to skip to the next stage... works on the final level too, skips you right to the end cinematic. That was an alright game... once you deal with the slow control reaction time, the extreme precision required at times, the frusterating-to-pull-off moves, the challenging enemies (made harder by the aformentioned precision and difficult moves issues)... yeah, I don't want the SNES version. :) (the GB version, incidentally, seems to be a fairly faithful port... it's got one level less (one of the Adult Simba levels is missing) but other than that all the levels are there, I think... though I'm not exactly going to buy the SNES version to find out. I saw Lion King for SNES for sale, actually, but looking at the GB version I've had for years did not exactly make me want to buy the SNES title... Super Return of the Jedi (also a SNES port) yes, Lion King no.

Yea, I wouldn't exactly go out an buy the Lion King either. It had its moments, but to choose between TLK and Super Return of the Jedi... I mean come on, flipping around with a lightsaber? You can't beat that.

Even worse, though, was Toy Story for GB... that's the worst game I ever bought for the original GB, no question. It had no saving, and no level-skip code I knew, but I did manage to get to the last level... you eventually kind of get used to the extended delays between your button presses and the (slow) action. :D ... yeah, I sold that one...

Remember your favorite Cheat Codes? - Dark Jaguar - 29th August 2005

There's also the codes in the DKC series. BARRAL for example in DKC1.

The worst game evr for the original 5lb gameboy is T2: judgement day. I could not beat the first level. I had no friggen clue what to do. It didn't make any sense, you were Arnold (i think) and you were in this side scrolling screen that only went over so far and then stopped. There were no enemies and you couldn't shoot, if there was a door or a portal I couldn't find it. I wasted all this money on a game and I didn't even understand how to do anything. And of course Toys R Us wont let you return anything. I was pissed. The movie sucked a little bit after that because I was so bitter with the gameboy game.

This game? Yeah, sounds bad... that first level puzzle is somewhat cruel (and something you wouldn't see in a modern game... some conventions of older games are missed, but not really-hard-with-no-or-missing-help inscrutible "puzzles"...)

http://www.gamefaqs.com/portable/gameboy/review/585958.html

Remember your favorite Cheat Codes? - CoconutCommander - 30th August 2005

It was the first game I actually threw away.

Did you read one of those reviews? One in particular has the guy saying he beat the game in one sitting. I couldn't believe that. I just remember back to all the hard times Ive had with that game and this guy just saying, "La la la la". Damn, now I wanna give that game another crack

Remember your favorite Cheat Codes? - A Black Falcon - 30th August 2005

I guess once you figure out the puzzle on the first level it gets better... though for games like that, I think "better" is a relative term. :)

Remember your favorite Cheat Codes? - Weltall - 30th August 2005

Laser Link Wrote:That's gotta be a Sonic code, because only the Genny (and the Cube) had 'C' buttons (or sticks) and only Sonic was actually popular on the Genny.

So taking a guess, I'd say it's the debug code, cause that was pretty sweet.

I've seen shirts that have the Konami code on them. Pretty sweet.

Nah. Mine is the infamous Blood Code for the Genesis version of Mortal Kombat.

Remember your favorite Cheat Codes? - A Black Falcon - 30th August 2005

You needed a code to have blood? But I thought Sega didn't censor the game...

Remember your favorite Cheat Codes? - geoboy - 1st September 2005

Up, down, left, right, hold A + Start!

That was the first cheat code I learned. I was 5 or 6 years old when I learned it, and I'll never forget it. Laser Link knows what game it belongs to.