Tendo City
Darunia's Excellent Movies Thread! - Printable Version

+- Tendo City (https://www.tendocity.net)
+-- Forum: Tendo City: Metropolitan District (https://www.tendocity.net/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+--- Forum: Ramble City (https://www.tendocity.net/forumdisplay.php?fid=44)
+--- Thread: Darunia's Excellent Movies Thread! (/showthread.php?tid=3072)

Darunia's Excellent Movies Thread! - Darunia - 26th July 2005

Ramble City's dead slow these days, so here's Darunia's Excellent Movie's Thread!, wherein we discuss recent cinematic goings-on.

Movies I recently saw and would like to ecomment upon:

Charlie and the Chocolate Factory:

A grisly, dark outing (but what Tim Burton film isn't.) There are some things, I feel, that Burton shouldn't fuck with: this is one of them. His dark, creepy creativity is well suited in films like Sleepy Hollow and Beetlejuice, but not in children's films. It had a scattering of humorous moments, but on the whole, it was a bleak, depressing, dark, and overzealously unrealistic film. The original is still one of my favorite movies. This one, however, gets a D from the Mastah Goron.

Wedding Crashers

I know... it has to be a crappy date movie. Wrong..!? I genuinely dreaded this one, and infact my friend had to pay for my ticket to get me to see it, but it was actually pretty good! Christopher Walken and Will Ferrell have excellent parts in it, and even if they didn't, it still would have been marginally good. Darunia says, A-.

See--wasn't that fun!? :) Now it's your turn.

Darunia's Excellent Movies Thread! - Great Rumbler - 26th July 2005

You thought Charlie and the Chocolate Factory was dark and depressing? I thought it was the exact opposite: bright and humorous for the most part. Oh well.

War of the Worlds:

Like Independence Day, but better in every way and a lot more realistic. Special effects were amazing, as was the actress playing the young girl. Not many punches are pulled here, people get zapped, building are ripped apart, and not all the bad guys are from Mars.

Howl's Moving Castle:

It's an anime from Hiyao Miyazaki, that's the only reason you need to go see it really. The story bumbles along a bit at times and the ending comes too suddenly, but it has a lot of memorable moments and characters. The animation and art style are great as usual.

A Tale of Two Sisters:

A Korean fairy tale with a not so fairy tale ending. The general mood of the movie is down beat and it's clear from the start that what you see is not what's really going on. It's not really a horror movie, but it has a number of intense moments. Available at Wal-Mart for $8.88.

Darunia's Excellent Movies Thread! - A Black Falcon - 26th July 2005

Movies I've seen this summer...

Star Wars - Ep. III - we talked about this before

Howl's Moving Castle

Great movie. Miyazaki's the best anime director and this shows that again... between that and the fact that it's a fantasy story and I love fantasy, not much to complain about. :) (a couple of minor things, but nothing major...) Go see it if you can (it's still playing here, in its third week at the local arthouse theater...). B+/A-.

Batman Begins

Very good movie... wasn't sure if I was going to see it but all the great press eventually convinced me to. And it was good. I liked it a lot more than the Spiderman movies (I saw both and didn't really like them...). A/A-.

Fantastic Four

Simple summer action movie... it's what they were trying to make and they succeeded. Is that good? well... sure, if you come in expecting not much (or are a 14-year-old boy...). Just decent enough I don't regret going. Hmm... rating... I don't know, C+/B-? It doesn't try to do much, but what it is trying to do it does pretty well...

That's it for theater movies, I think.

I agree with almost everything ABF said! Uncredible!!

Darunia's Excellent Movies Thread! - A Black Falcon - 26th July 2005

I'd have said more about Howl's Moving Castle and Batman Begins if I wasn't trying to avoid spoilers...

What?

Darunia's Excellent Movies Thread! - Fittisize - 27th July 2005

War of the Worlds--decent. Didn't much like Dakota Fanning, Tom Cruise, or the other kid, but the special effects more than made up for the acting.

Charlie and the Chocolate Factory--dissapointing. All substance. Didn't have any of the magic from the 1971 adaptation.

The Island--excellent science fiction film. Michael Bay is an awesome director when it comes to action scenes, and the story, which lacked in the orginality department somewhat, was still quite good.

Darunia's Excellent Movies Thread! - A Black Falcon - 27th July 2005

Darunia's Excellent Movies Thread! - Darunia - 27th July 2005

The Devils Rejects---no, I didn't see it, but I'd like to comment on it. Did anybody see House of 1,000 Corpses? Let me just say: Mr. Rob Zombie, we already know how fucked up you are in the head--you didn't have to make a crappy, B-horror movie to prove it. The characters in House were very stereotypical, many of the sets were unconvincing, the the story was... well, dogshit of the lowest quality. Not even high-quality poodle shit--it was just poor: very predictable and not at all convincing. The acting was lackluster, too, and that's me being generous.

Phew. Sorry, I just wanted to vent on that.

Darunia's Excellent Movies Thread! - alien space marine - 27th July 2005

Quote:The Devils Rejects---no, I didn't see it, but I'd like to comment on it. Did anybody see House of 1,000 Corpses? Let me just say: Mr. Rob Zombie, we already know how fucked up you are in the head--you didn't have to make a crappy, B-horror movie to prove it. The characters in House were very stereotypical, many of the sets were unconvincing, the the story was... well, dogshit of the lowest quality. Not even high-quality poodle shit--it was just poor: very predictable and not at all convincing. The acting was lackluster, too, and that's me being generous.

Phew. Sorry, I just wanted to vent on that.

The only Corpse is the film!

1. The Island , ( Best elaborate and well written story , Notciably a remake or a knock off to a much older 1970's film)

2.Batman Begins ( Christian Bale has found Batman's again)

3.War of the Worlds