Tendo City
Apparently if you don't PAY for IGN, you don't get in, PERIOD! - Printable Version

+- Tendo City (https://www.tendocity.net)
+-- Forum: Tendo City: Metropolitan District (https://www.tendocity.net/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+--- Forum: Ramble City (https://www.tendocity.net/forumdisplay.php?fid=44)
+--- Thread: Apparently if you don't PAY for IGN, you don't get in, PERIOD! (/showthread.php?tid=3066)

Apparently if you don't PAY for IGN, you don't get in, PERIOD! - Dark Jaguar - 22nd July 2005

Just recently, an odd thing has occured. Now whenever the urge to see if IGN has any new info comes up and I go there, I get an ad. No, that's not new. Just click on the skip button and, it's another ad. Okay, so by random chance I got it again.

Well, fast forward to 3 hours of me trying to get in, off and on, and you have someone who just can no longer access IGN.

What's the deal? Did IGN actually GET to this point without me realizing it?

The answer, is no. Turns out that the skip link no longer works correctly, but directly clicking on the IGN image on the left seems to have done the trick.

IGN SUCKS!

Correction, while I can now view the main IGN page, all clicks to articles lead to the same stupid advertisement page, and clicking on the IGN image only takes me back to the main page. At this point, viewing any and all articles on IGN has been rendered an impossibility.

Okay, after deciding to repeatedly try to just click on the article link itself, I can occasionally get through.

They made a very stupid mistake, because they don't understand basic probability.

They seem to have raised the chances of seeing one of those adds instead of the article to ABOVE 50%. This means that people will see the ads MORE often than seeing the article. What they don't get is EVERY SINGLE CLICK is independant of the previous attempt, so there is ALWAYS a greater than 50% chance. It is very likely that a person CAN in fact attempt to read an article many many times and fail on every attempt.

They have screwed their readers. I can understand needing to make money off of ads to sustain themselves. I never had a problem with their banners. This stuff though... Sorry, I just find no motivation at all to actually go to IGN any more. Gamespot it is then, for now.

Apparently if you don't PAY for IGN, you don't get in, PERIOD! - A Black Falcon - 22nd July 2005

I dont have your problem of clicking on the 'continue' button on the ad pages not bringing me to the actual page...

Apparently if you don't PAY for IGN, you don't get in, PERIOD! - Great Rumbler - 22nd July 2005

Works fine for for me. I clicked on about ten different links and one of those ads only came up once. Same as it's always been.

Apparently if you don't PAY for IGN, you don't get in, PERIOD! - Darunia - 22nd July 2005

I remember when my daily itinerary including seeing what was up at IGN 64. When it was free, and the consoles industry was more fun to follow. Man I hate capitalism.

Apparently if you don't PAY for IGN, you don't get in, PERIOD! - Great Rumbler - 22nd July 2005

Cube-Europe and Planet Gamecube are much better sources of Nintendo news.

Apparently if you don't PAY for IGN, you don't get in, PERIOD! - N-Man - 23rd July 2005

All who think the truth is DJ can't navigate properly around a website say AYE

Apparently if you don't PAY for IGN, you don't get in, PERIOD! - Great Rumbler - 23rd July 2005

Aye.

Apparently if you don't PAY for IGN, you don't get in, PERIOD! - A Black Falcon - 23rd July 2005

Hmm... try Mozilla? :)

Apparently if you don't PAY for IGN, you don't get in, PERIOD! - Great Rumbler - 23rd July 2005

Or just don't go to IGN. They're not really that great.

Apparently if you don't PAY for IGN, you don't get in, PERIOD! - A Black Falcon - 23rd July 2005

They have a lot of stuff though.

They have a lot of articles and editorials, but you can get up-to-date news from many other [free] sites. The only reason, really, I ever go to IGN is if I want to find specific information about a certain game; release dates and so on.

I like their pretty comprehensive games list to make my 'my owned games' list from... :)

I did that once...later I just made a Word document listing all my games.

Apparently if you don't PAY for IGN, you don't get in, PERIOD! - A Black Falcon - 24th July 2005

"Just"? But it's easier to just use their list and then add each game as you get it, I think... and you can easily give them scores and sort them various ways and stuff. :)

Apparently if you don't PAY for IGN, you don't get in, PERIOD! - Great Rumbler - 24th July 2005

That's uncredible!

Apparently if you don't PAY for IGN, you don't get in, PERIOD! - Dark Jaguar - 24th July 2005

If I'm not doing it correctly, tell me what I'm doing wrong here instead of using blind criticism.

In further news, oddly enough the place seems to not be dishing out ads so constantly.

Still, this begs the question as to why it happened to begin with. It can't be the browser because it's their own server that decides what page to send me when I click on a link.

Apparently if you don't PAY for IGN, you don't get in, PERIOD! - Great Rumbler - 24th July 2005

Nothing like what you've been talking about has ever happened to me at IGN.

Apparently if you don't PAY for IGN, you don't get in, PERIOD! - Dark Jaguar - 24th July 2005

Meaning... what exactly?

That it's probably not just because of the site.