Tendo City
final fantasy online???? - Printable Version

+- Tendo City (https://www.tendocity.net)
+-- Forum: Tendo City: Metropolitan District (https://www.tendocity.net/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+--- Forum: Ramble City (https://www.tendocity.net/forumdisplay.php?fid=44)
+--- Thread: final fantasy online???? (/showthread.php?tid=3059)

final fantasy online???? - dex - 17th July 2005

deos anyone know of any final fantasy online game's

(it's got to be free!!!!!)

final fantasy online???? - Weltall - 17th July 2005

Yes, there is an online Final Fantasy.

No, it is not free.

final fantasy online???? - Great Rumbler - 17th July 2005

Far, FAR from free. Especially if you want to play it on the PS2.

final fantasy online???? - Dark Jaguar - 18th July 2005

There's also that 360 version that MS is touting as though it's supposed to be a new and major draw to the system.

I've seen videos of that. The first one looked like some massive improvement. The later ones look like minor updates to the visuals that really don't do all that much of anything.

At any rate, if you don't mind playing it on PC (it's probably for the best anyway, macros are where it's at, even if that game's controls on the keyboard and mouse leave much to be desired), that's the cheapest way to go. Keep in mind it's got a monthly fee, like all MMORPGs.

If you were wanting to know of any others, well, sorry, not that I know of. Your best bet is just to visit Square-Enix's website and check for yourself though. Sorry I couldn't be more help.

There is this though. There's a new Crystal Chronicles game for the DS I've heard of. I think it will be using that online system Nintendo is touting for stuff like Animal Crossing and Mario Kart. There's your best bet.

final fantasy online???? - lazyfatbum - 18th July 2005

FF:CC is also announced for Revolution and you can bet that'll be online and free. (except for the 50 bucks for the game, the 250 for the system, etc) :D

final fantasy online???? - A Black Falcon - 18th July 2005

Quote:There's also that 360 version that MS is touting as though it's supposed to be a new and major draw to the system.

I've seen videos of that. The first one looked like some massive improvement. The later ones look like minor updates to the visuals that really don't do all that much of anything.

It's the same game, supposedly with visual improvements. But they can only do so much because I don't think they are walling off the 360 players from the other ones... (on that front, how do PS2 players communicate? Are keyboards standard?)

Quote:At any rate, if you don't mind playing it on PC (it's probably for the best anyway, macros are where it's at, even if that game's controls on the keyboard and mouse leave much to be desired), that's the cheapest way to go. Keep in mind it's got a monthly fee, like all MMORPGs.

Which is why you should play Guild Wars instead, because it's almost as good (and better than most, probably) and has no fees beyond the price of the box. :)

Quote:FF:CC is also announced for Revolution and you can bet that'll be online and free. (except for the 50 bucks for the game, the 250 for the system, etc)

Hmm, FF:CC for Revolution definititely should be online... probably not MMO, but it definitely should be online.

final fantasy online???? - Dark Jaguar - 18th July 2005

Yeah, some sort of matchmaking. Maybe you could get a lot more than 4 people to quest around with you? Maybe you could even split up into different groups to take on multiple levels at once? (I've actually imagined Mario Bros being played in such a fasion as that.)

At any rate, graphical and audio updates were the only thing they could do with FFXI because, yes, they have announced the game will work on the same networks as the PC and PS2 versions. However, the graphical updates certainly could have been much greater than the videos I've seen. That initial video they released when they announced it led me to believe it would look a lot better.... Sad... Oh well, it doesn't really effect me no matter what they do.

Oh yeah, yes from what I've seen the PS2 version pretty much needs a keyboard (mouse optional). PS2s have USB ports, two of them, with the ability to be expanded further with any USB multitap that works in other USB ports.

However, from what I've played, it's obvious they really designed it around a solid controller setup first and the keyboard/mouse setup came later. All the menus and everything are really optimized for a controller, so if you use a mouse it's just plain awkward and slow. Further more, no "quick action" button bar or anything. The keyboard setup has macros and the secondary setup is better than the default, but even so the setup is pretty awkward there. Not much thought put into it. The controller setup IS nice, and as good as a controller can do in that sort of game, but in the end it's just not enough. For the FFXI player's sakes I hope part of this plan includes updating the keyboard and mouse controls. I dunno, maybe they have already, but at any rate, it wasn't any good at all, especially with a very natural and easy to use setup like they have in WOW.

So um, I know there's a monthly fee for FFXI already, but apparently they are using the Live service as well for the 360 players, most likely so people playing other 360 games can send invites or whatever. The question is, is that part of the free "silver" service or will people be needing to pay TWO fees just to play the 360 version?