Tendo City
New Miyamoto interview (must read)! - Printable Version

+- Tendo City (https://www.tendocity.net)
+-- Forum: Tendo City: Metropolitan District (https://www.tendocity.net/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+--- Forum: Tendo City (https://www.tendocity.net/forumdisplay.php?fid=42)
+--- Thread: New Miyamoto interview (must read)! (/showthread.php?tid=304)

Pages: 1 2 3

New Miyamoto interview (must read)! - OB1 - 24th February 2003

Quote:As for D&D, I love the setting... and like the games. Baldur's Gate (1 or 2) and Torment are some of the best games ever... great, great games. Dark Alliance on GC is good too, for a Diablo clone... I love fantasy stuff so I like D&D... its a great classic fantasy setting. Overused? No... used a lot? Yes. But the games are mostly very good... especially the deep PC RPG's like Baldur's Gate.

The D&D thing is terribly overused in the PC gaming world. I can't believe you don't see that.

[Image: Torment_line1.jpg]

Hahahaha! Gotta love those beads!

Quote:I didn't contradict myself... you just don't seem to understand what I'm saying... and it matters because you are arguing about it and don't seem capable of understanding what I'm saying! I mean... I say something, then you go on and on about how I'm wrong when I'm agreeing with you on that point... I just don't get it...

What do I think? Exactly as I said.. .I really don't want to have to say it again... I've already said it 3 times!

Read that paragraph again. I don't think it gets any more convoluted than that.

Quote:Is innovation innovation whether its recognized or not? Well... as long as it actually does innovate, yeah... but if its not popularly accepted as a good thing, then it doesn't matter since no one will see it as innovative... or they will see it as innovation that they don't like. Both of those happen frequently... lots of truly great, innovative games aren't recognized as good by the public and are ignored and not bought... it happens all the time as I'm sure you know given how we've discussed it so many times... or do I have to mention Looking Glass again?

However... it does require SOMEONE to recognize it as innovative at some time for it to matter that the product was innovative... if no one ever sees it as such, it is technically innovation, but not relevant innovation.

That doesn't matter.

Quote:I still say that the changes in Zelda TWW aren't innovative but are just more normal improvements that go in sequels... sequels can change stuff and improve games without innovating. That's what happened in WW... its a big change, but not innovative because it HAS been done before... or at least things like it have, if not exactly this.

No, Mario Sunshine is a mere improvement and evolution of its predecessor. Wind Waker is much more than that, and whether or not you want to accept it the way Nintendo has implemented cel-shading is quite innovative.

New Miyamoto interview (must read)! - Dark Jaguar - 24th February 2003

The only thing innovative about how they are using the cel shading is the controlling of the wind and the wind's more fluid effects on things. I gotta agree that although this is the best looking cel shading I've seen, being the best at something is not innovation.

Doing something has no one has done before is. They didn't just make better cel-shaded models. They managed to create the world's first interactive cartoon. In the past cel-shading has always been a mere gimmick, but in WW it's oh so much more than that.

Sheesh, it's not like this is the world's first interactive cartoon. What about Jet Set Radio Future? What about this cel shading makes it "so much more" in your eyes? I played the demo you know, although the cel shading does add to the ability to use wind and such (I didn't even play that part, I just read it), it doesn't have some massive effect on the gameplay. Seriously, everything here could be done using standard CG, even if it did look "silly".

But then I have to contest that. You were blinded by your hatred of Disney when you rented Kingdom Hearts (well, that's what you told me anyway), so you may not have noticed, but Kingdom Hearts IS an interactive cartoon. It doesn't even use Cel Shading, but it still manages to feel totally like a cartoon playing it. Seriously, I felt like I was in a Disney movie just LOOKING at Hercules and Hades.

KH doesn't look anything like a cartoon; Wind Waker does. And the Jet Set Radio games only used cel-shaded models. It never felt like you were controlling a cartoon. WW does. It's the cel-shading, the tremendous animation (which could easily be used to make a high-quality cartoon), and everything that's going on around you that really gives it the feeling that you're controlling a genuine cartoon. Wind Waker is the most visually impressive game I've ever seen.

Well I should expect such a response about Kingdom Hearts from you. Oh well...

However, even if you think it's the best looking game ever (which it may very well be), that's not innovation, just evolution. Again, just because they upped the quality of it doesn't make it innovative. Sure it looks a lot better and feels more natural than Jet Set, but that's just improvement on an existing concept.

Kingdom Hearts doesn't look like a cartoon. You wouldn't be able to take a models from that game and make a convincing 2D animated feature.

You guys are being extremely stubborn. A game can be visually innovative as well, you know. Take a look at Doom 3. It just looks like an improved version of several other FPS's, right? But what you may not know is that it's actually not a very high-poly game, and that they made it look so incredible by extremely clever usage of bump-mapping and lighting. I would definitely call that innovative.

New Miyamoto interview (must read)! - A Black Falcon - 24th February 2003

Ahh... good old OB1 -- only replying to stuff he has a answer for and ignoring the rest...

I gather you've never heard of Fallout 1 or 2, Lionheart, or Arcanum? They are great RPGs in unorthodox settings... Fallout is postapocalyptic, Lionheart is in a alternate history setting (the real middle ages, but with magic... so its got real historical figures in it and some kind of other races, but not the standard fantasy ones as far as I know), and Arcanum is a typical fantasy world... but in the Industrial Age, not the middle ages, and industrialization and machines are competing with magic... I haven't played it so I don't know the details, but its a interesting setting.

Still, I love classic fanasy settings at least as much...

I just don't see how this is the first ever cartoon game. It isn't. It is a well done cartoon game, but is HARDLY the first cartoon-styled game... I guess something is blinding you from seeing that... selective memory or something? Or maybe a different definition of 'cartoon game' than everone else here uses... I don't see any other way you can defend your position... since so many games over the years have used cartoonish graphics and let them influence the gameplay, I just can't see how it is innovative. Better? Improved them (improved in their eyes, I mean...) with the use of cel-shading? Yes... but innovative? No. Just improvements over ideas already around for years. That isn't innovation.

Rayman 2 wasn't cel-shaded, for example, but it did have great cartoonish graphics...

Oh, and I never said Torment had good quality CG cutscenes... just great gameplay and story... :)

Quote:Read that paragraph again. I don't think it gets any more convoluted than that.

It makes sense to me and doesn't seem THAT confusing...

Quote:That doesn't matter.

Why not? Can you explain that?

Quote:The D&D thing is terribly overused in the PC gaming world. I can't believe you don't see that.

I don't see it because it couldn't be farther from the truth...

Quote:Ahh... good old OB1 -- only replying to stuff he has a answer for and ignoring the rest...

As I said before (but of course you didn't read it since you rearely pay attention), it would take me forever to reply to every single sentence. So I choose the ones that I feel need to be replied to.

Quote: gather you've never heard of Fallout 1 or 2, Lionheart, or Arcanum? They are great RPGs in unorthodox settings... Fallout is postapocalyptic, Lionheart is in a alternate history setting (the real middle ages, but with magic... so its got real historical figures in it and some kind of other races, but not the standard fantasy ones as far as I know), and Arcanum is a typical fantasy world... but in the Industrial Age, not the middle ages, and industrialization and machines are competing with magic... I haven't played it so I don't know the details, but its a interesting setting.

Wow, you can name four or five other PC RPGs that don't use the stupid D&D style. Incredible!

Quote:I just don't see how this is the first ever cartoon game. It isn't. It is a well done cartoon game, but is HARDLY the first cartoon-styled game... I guess something is blinding you from seeing that... selective memory or something? Or maybe a different definition of 'cartoon game' than everone else here uses... I don't see any other way you can defend your position... since so many games over the years have used cartoonish graphics and let them influence the gameplay, I just can't see how it is innovative. Better? Improved them (improved in their eyes, I mean...) with the use of cel-shading? Yes... but innovative? No. Just improvements over ideas already around for years. That isn't innovation.

Uh-huh. Name some games that have models and animation that are comparable to high-quality cartoons.

Quote:Rayman 2 wasn't cel-shaded, for example, but it did have great cartoonish graphics...

Rayman 2 didn't look anything like a cartoon. You seem to be missing the point, as usual.

Quote:Why not? Can you explain that?

As I stated at least three times already, innovation is innovation even if it's not recognized.

Quote:I don't see it because it couldn't be farther from the truth...
Rolleyes You keep believing that.

Quote:As I said before (but of course you didn't read it since you rearely pay attention), it would take me forever to reply to every single sentence. So I choose the ones that I feel need to be replied to.

I know you said that... I did read it before, even if you don't think I did... but it does get annoying.

Quote:Wow, you can name four or five other PC RPGs that don't use the stupid D&D style. Incredible!

What, you want some more? How about Anachronox, Septerra Core, or the Wizardry series (the last one was Wizardry 8)... there are plenty more, too... :)

Quote:Rayman 2 didn't look anything like a cartoon. You seem to be missing the point, as usual.

Then what exactly do you call a cartoon? Because I'd sure call Rayman 2/3's style cartoonish...

Quote:As I stated at least three times already, innovation is innovation even if it's not recognized.

I think I agreed on that point 5 times now...

Quote:You keep believing that.

Whatever you say, D&D is still a great setting which, IMO, is the best setting there is for RPGs...

Quote:What, you want some more? How about Anachronox, Septerra Core, or the Wizardry series (the last one was Wizardry 8)... there are plenty more, too...

Do you deny that the majority of PC games use that D&D style? Like say 80 or 90% of them?

Quote:Then what exactly do you call a cartoon? Because I'd sure call Rayman 2/3's style cartoonish...

[quote]Then what exactly do you call a cartoon? Because I'd sure call Rayman 2/3's style cartoonish...

It may be cartoonish, but it doesn't look like a real cartoon. If you took some random chadacters from WW and put them up against a still image of any background in the game then it could easily be mistaken for a cartoon. The animation, especially, is unparalleled.

No, I'm afraid it's not THAT seamless. I contest that it actually looks just like something animated. Don't ever mention still shots of WW again by the way. Still shots make the game look terrible. In motion it looks awesome. Very weird, but true. I say the KH engine could make just as much of a motion picture event as the WW engine. That is to say, a sub par one. Don't get me wrong, the game looks awesome and better than any cel shading before, but like I just said, that's not innovation, just improving an existing concept. "But it looks so much like a cartoon and the others didn't", you aren't hearing me! That doesn't make it innovative, it just makes it better than previous attempts to do the same thing!

The still shots look bad because of the Gamecube's poor capturing ability. If I were to pause a frame from one of ign's movies it would look just like a 2D cartoon. Kingdom Hearts doesn't look 2D, and i couldn't even pass for a Nickelodeon-quality 3D animated show. If you honestly think that then you've got to get your eyes checked. It simply looks like a PS2 game.

You still don't get it. Let me ask you this: do you consider Doom 3 to be a graphically innovative game?

Quote:You still don't get it. Let me ask you this: do you consider Doom 3 to be a graphically innovative game?

Probably not, since all it does is improve on stuff done before... like WW does...

Quote:Do you deny that the majority of PC games use that D&D style? Like say 80 or 90% of them?

Well, no, D&D isn't 80 or 90% of the PC RPGs... only Interplay and Infogrames have D&D liscences and they don't publish 80 or 90 percent of PC RPGs... :)

Seriously, I would dispute that. While most PC RPGs are fantasy-world based, they aren't all like D&D... most of them have their own view of it somehow...

No I don't. It's just the next step. Was there a point to that question or do you actually think Doom 3 is innovating anything? Is it one of the best games I've seen? Yes, it's quite stunning to see whatever that red thing was eating that one dude in the bathroom (though that's likely not his thoughts), but it's just improving upon the old. It's evolutionary, not revolutionary. It's like Super Mario Sunshine compaired to Mario 64.

Talk gameplay if you want to talk innovation. There it has something. Having wind flowing in multiple directions with all sorts of effects all at once just like in the real world has NOT been done before. This isn't evolving an old concept, it's innovation (well I suppose it could be argued that there has been wind in old games, but then again I guess the point I should be making is that innovation really is more subjective, though there is some objectivity to it).

Anyway, it looks very 3D to me. Remember, EVERY game (except on Virtual Boy) is 2D to our eyes. 3D has to be implied, and it is just as implied here using cel shading as it is using other techniques. If you are saying WW looks like a flat piece of paper then maybe you are the one insulting it. It looks very 3D, and yet handdrawn. In fact, most hand drawn things done by GOOD artists look 3D, and when done really well it's just as 3D as any CG animation. The only way to really beat it is to TRULY go 3D like in an IMAX or with VR goggles, because most recent artistic techniques have revolved around making the image look 3D. Remember, a TV screen is 2D.

Are you saying Kingdom Hearts doesn't look like a cartoon just because it looks 3D? You really should look at more animation...

Quote:No I don't. It's just the next step. Was there a point to that question or do you actually think Doom 3 is innovating anything? Is it one of the best games I've seen? Yes, it's quite stunning to see whatever that red thing was eating that one dude in the bathroom (though that's likely not his thoughts), but it's just improving upon the old. It's evolutionary, not revolutionary. It's like Super Mario Sunshine compaired to Mario 64.

Ahha! That is where you are wrong, buddy. They had to create new graphical techniques, new ways to get those awesome graphics. I suppose you also think that The Matrix was more innovative in the field of visual effects than The Phantom Menace was, don't you? Well you'd be wrong there as well. In TPM didn't simply do Jurrasic Park better. It's not as simple as adding more polygons or better textures. They had to create new ways of doing special effects, make new technology and software in order to do the things they have done. In the Matrix all they did was take twenty cameras and spin them around the characters. Cool looking, yes. But that was the only innovation in that movie, f/x-wise. With Wind Waker Nintendo took this little gimmick called cel-shading and completely revolutionized the way it could be used.

Quote:Anyway, it looks very 3D to me. Remember, EVERY game (except on Virtual Boy) is 2D to our eyes. 3D has to be implied, and it is just as implied here using cel shading as it is using other techniques. If you are saying WW looks like a flat piece of paper then maybe you are the one insulting it. It looks very 3D, and yet handdrawn. In fact, most hand drawn things done by GOOD artists look 3D, and when done really well it's just as 3D as any CG animation. The only way to really beat it is to TRULY go 3D like in an IMAX or with VR goggles, because most recent artistic techniques have revolved around making the image look 3D. Remember, a TV screen is 2D.

Is this really that complicated a concept for you?

These look like 3D models: [Image: Kingdom-Hearts1.jpg]

This looks like a 2D drawing: [Image: zerudadec13emb2.jpg]

Quote:Originally posted by A Black Falcon

Well, no, D&D isn't 80 or 90% of the PC RPGs... only Interplay and Infogrames have D&D liscences and they don't publish 80 or 90 percent of PC RPGs... :)

Seriously, I would dispute that. While most PC RPGs are fantasy-world based, they aren't all like D&D... most of them have their own view of it somehow...

Just because they don't use the D&D license doesn't mean that they look like they're from that world. Morrowind is a good example of that.

New Miyamoto interview (must read)! - Nintendarse - 24th February 2003

You know, for me, the physics model explains these differences in perception of what is innovative v. logical improvements. I could use some feedback...

I would be self-centered to say, "Zelda is not graphically innovative." However, I think that anyone believes too highly of oneself if one thinks one can accurately predict the objective amount of innovation of anything. I hope nobody here believes themself to be omniscient. We all come from different interest graphs, different life experiences, and to say that any one of those is superior to the others is being egotistical.

You think Zelda:WW is innovative. I think Zelda:WW only makes marginal improvements. Guess what? We're both right. If you are our point of reference, you are right. If I am the point of reference, I am right. So then we should choose a reference frame that means something for the industry. I choose the societal popularity trend because it means something for sales.

With that logic I could proclaim that Army Men Sarge's Hero is the most innovative game ever made, while Mario 64 is only a marginal improvement over Bubsy 3D. Anybody can proclaim anything; but backing it up is something else entirely.

If you ask me that Link thing sure did look rendered to me. I'm not wrong of course, it IS rendered using cel shading. Anyway, always with the Star Wars examples aren't ya? Here's the thing, I don't care HOW they managed it backstage. I'm sure all sorts of things that we see that look exactly the same are developmentaly different. That's not how I look at things. I look at a far more superficial level. I see what's presented to me, not how they managed to get it there in the first place. With that in mind, Matrix did something different, live action weird camera panning around some guy in slow motion. Star Wars Episode look who's talking too just managed to show more advanced stuff I've seen before. I'm sure they had to totally innovate behind the scenes, but I don't care about that. Look, the graphic engine for OOT was created differently from the one for SM64. I'm not going to look into the past to find out if everything made had some innovation in the developing. That's just silly. Suddenly I have to rate all sorts of things that when I first saw or played it looked exactly the same as innovative just because the design process was innovative. While that is a valid point of course, I'm not rating games based on design process. If I did games that would suck would still be rated high because they programmed it well at least. I rate them based on what I see.

Oh, and you certainly picked one of the worst pics to show off Kingdom Hearts didn't ya? I notice it's in Japanese, did you have to scavenge the net to find what you thought would be the best example of how it's not a cartoon in your eyes? Try something like a scene of Cloud walking past Herc's trainer.

That's the exact same Link model from the game, DJ. I just didn't want to take a screenshot since they're all blurry. And I couldn't find any better KH screens!

With the Matrix they did one little gimmick that was copied from some anime movies. And it's been done before, in music videos. With TPM they did things that have never been done before (realistic-looking CGI characters that seemlessly interacted with the live actors, photo-realistic CGI backgrounds and vehicles, digital stunt doubles... I could go on forever), but few people wanted to recognize it because of their infatuation for stupid little gimmicks. It's like comparing Mozart to something hip and flashy like the Backstreet Boys.

New Miyamoto interview (must read)! - Nintendarse - 24th February 2003

OB1- you know what? You could make those claims. And you would be absolutely correct. Your taste might be unlike everyone elses, but that does not mean you are in any way less of a gamer, or that you have "bad" taste.

Why does someone have to convince somone else of the validity their viewpoint to make it right? Such is the wonder of subjectivity. You are just so stuck in the mindset that there is a "correct" innovation value, and your perception of that value is closer to other's. Who made you God?

New Miyamoto interview (must read)! - Private Hudson - 24th February 2003

Quote:With TPM they did things that have never been done before (realistic-looking CGI characters that seemlessly interacted with the live actors, photo-realistic CGI backgrounds and vehicles, digital stunt doubles... I could go on forever),

So they basically did what cartoons have been doing for years, and added CG model's, instead?

Oh, and as I see it, Zelda does have some innovation. I do believe it's the first game to ever use cel-shading without the black lines. Although this makes the cel-shading easier to render, it does make it a new style of cel-shading.

I don't really think the fact that Zelda looks like an interactive cartoon can be considered innovative. That really seems to me as being more an extension of what Cel-Shading has been doing (or attempting to do) for sometime.

Well well well... OB1 refusing to back down on any aspect of his argument? Unheard of...

Quote:Just because they don't use the D&D license doesn't mean that they look like they're from that world. Morrowind is a good example of that.

Umm... ever heard of a 'joke'? I think the :) would make it pretty obvious... or how about the word 'seriously'?

Quote:Ahha! That is where you are wrong, buddy. They had to create new graphical techniques, new ways to get those awesome graphics. I suppose you also think that The Matrix was more innovative in the field of visual effects than The Phantom Menace was, don't you? Well you'd be wrong there as well. In TPM didn't simply do Jurrasic Park better. It's not as simple as adding more polygons or better textures. They had to create new ways of doing special effects, make new technology and software in order to do the things they have done. In the Matrix all they did was take twenty cameras and spin them around the characters. Cool looking, yes. But that was the only innovation in that movie, f/x-wise. With Wind Waker Nintendo took this little gimmick called cel-shading and completely revolutionized the way it could be used.

It really depends on the case. As for TPM vs Matrix, IMO TPM was more innovative... it had all kinds of never-before-seen CG stuff and more behind the scenes stuff done, while all Matrix did was camera tricks...

But Doom 3? Hardly. It isn't innovative... is it amazing looking? Yes, of course... its the best looking game ever by far. But is it innovative? Not really... it just improves on the graphics. I wouldn't really say that that is innovation. And Zelda is very similar.

Does WW do anything truly revolutionary and innovative in the gameplay? Not really, no... it takes older ideas and makes them better -- making wind a real dynamic part of the game, unlike most games (even ones that do have wind) is the only real one I can think of... it does also make the combat more cartoonish, but that's hardly a new idea. I just don't see how you can say it is... and gameplay is more important than graphics...

Oh... I don't see why sales should have any basis for innovation. It really doesn't matter how well it sells for it to be innovative or not... all sales affect are the public's perception of if its innovative or not -- very different from if its truly innovative, but more important in the short run... from a sales perspective anyway, which is how most companies look at it...

Oh, and as for WW vs KH, I certainly agree that OB1 sure looks like he tried to find the worst looking pic of KH and the best rendered image (its not even a screenshot!) of WW that he could to prove his 'point'... I haven't played either game so I can hardly judge them.

Quote:So they basically did what cartoons have been doing for years, and added CG model's, instead?

So how many cartoons have you seen that seemlessly interact with and look almost as real as the humans? The stuff they did in the last two Star Wars movies has been ground-breaking, and I'm not surprised that you don't understand this given your comments.

Quote:Oh, and as I see it, Zelda does have some innovation. I do believe it's the first game to ever use cel-shading without the black lines. Although this makes the cel-shading easier to render, it does make it a new style of cel-shading.

Removing the black lines doesn't make it easier to render. I don't know where the hell you pulled that claim out of. Actually, removing the black outlines makes it even more difficult to make a 3D object look 2D.

Quote:I don't really think the fact that Zelda looks like an interactive cartoon can be considered innovative. That really seems to me as being more an extension of what Cel-Shading has been doing (or attempting to do) for sometime.

You guys have been repeating this over and over, and I've been responding to it over and over. It's obvious that we're not going to get anywhere. If you wish to think this way, go on right ahead and do so. You're wrong, but what can I do?

Quote:Why does someone have to convince somone else of the validity their viewpoint to make it right? Such is the wonder of subjectivity. You are just so stuck in the mindset that there is a "correct" innovation value, and your perception of that value is closer to other's. Who made you God?

Quit the sanctimonious b.s. already. People argue over their subjective views all of the time. That's what the internet was created for (not really, but it seems like it). You see it on tv all of the time. Look at "Hannity & Colms", "Hardball", or any other news show of that type. If you don't like these kinds of discussions, post somewhere else.

You must have posted that a few seconds after I posted my post there... :(

Quote:Removing the black lines doesn't make it easier to render. I don't know where the hell you pulled that claim out of. Actually, removing the black outlines makes it even more difficult to make a 3D object look 2D.

I heard that before... I don't understand why, because it doesn't seem like it would be all that different (but then again, I just don't understand why something as simple looking as cel shading requires a lot of processor power)

Quote:You guys have been repeating this over and over, and I've been responding to it over and over. It's obvious that we're not going to get anywhere. If you wish to think this way, go on right ahead and do so. You're wrong, but what can I do?

What a surprise... a dead-end debate with you. Amazing.

Quote:Quit the sanctimonious b.s. already. People argue over their subjective views all of the time. That's what the internet was created for (not really, but it seems like it). You see it on tv all of the time. Look at "Hannity & Colms", "Hardball", or any other news show of that type. If you don't like these kinds of discussions, post somewhere else.

On this point, I completely agree... arguments are fun! Not too productive, and they don't get anywhere, but fun... :)

Oh, and OB1 do reply to my previous post too. :)

[B]Well well well... OB1 refusing to back down on any aspect of his argument? Unheard of...

You crack me up. You're the exact same. When's the last time you backed out of an argument? Hypocrite.

Quote:Umm... ever heard of a 'joke'? I think the :) would make it pretty obvious... or how about the word 'seriously'?

You caught me off guard. You never joke.

Quote:It really depends on the case. As for TPM vs Matrix, IMO TPM was more innovative... it had all kinds of never-before-seen CG stuff and more behind the scenes stuff done, while all Matrix did was camera tricks...

But Doom 3? Hardly. It isn't innovative... is it amazing looking? Yes, of course... its the best looking game ever by far. But is it innovative? Not really... it just improves on the graphics. I wouldn't really say that that is innovation. And Zelda is very similar.

I know of a few dozen developers that would disagree with you on that. And you've contradicted yourself again. DJ said that TPM wasn't innovative because it looked like an evolved form of previous special effects, even though you and I know that's not true. Doom 3 and WW are similar to TPM in that way.

Quote:Does WW do anything truly revolutionary and innovative in the gameplay? Not really, no... it takes older ideas and makes them better -- making wind a real dynamic part of the game, unlike most games (even ones that do have wind) is the only real one I can think of... it does also make the combat more cartoonish, but that's hardly a new idea. I just don't see how you can say it is... and gameplay is more important than graphics...

*sigh* Failed to pay attention again, eh? Even after I repeating the words "visually innovative" over and over.

Quote:Oh, and as for WW vs KH, I certainly agree that OB1 sure looks like he tried to find the worst looking pic of KH and the best rendered image (its not even a screenshot!) of WW that he could to prove his 'point'... I haven't played either game so I can hardly judge them.

As I said before (boy, you sure make me say that a lot), that's the best KH I could find in such short time. And I used that Wind Waker image (which is not an in-game screen, but does show you the actual models used in the game) because all of the WW screen shots look blurry. Very few gamecube screen shots look good. It has something to do with the screen shot capturing ability of the Gamecube (or lack therof). Ign commented on that a few times in the past, but I forgot the details.

I heard that before... I don't understand why, because it doesn't seem like it would be all that different (but then again, I just don't understand why something as simple looking as cel shading requires a lot of processor power)

That's nonsense. All you do to make those black outlines is create another layer over the model and make it so that you can only see a part of that layer whichever direction the camera is looking. Something like that.

Quote:What a surprise... a dead-end debate with you. Amazing.

Read my previous post about you being a hypocrite.

Quote:On this point, I completely agree... arguments are fun! Not too productive, and they don't get anywhere, but fun... :)

Oh, and OB1 do reply to my previous post too. :)

What post?

You know what? I'm the one that always ends these never-ending debates. You should try that sometime.

Quote:Originally posted by OB1
So how many cartoons have you seen that seemlessly interact with and look almost as real as the humans? The stuff they did in the last two Star Wars movies has been ground-breaking, and I'm not surprised that you don't understand this given your comments.

Quote:With TPM they did things that have never been done before (realistic-looking CGI characters that seemlessly interacted with the live actors, photo-realistic CGI backgrounds and vehicles, digital stunt doubles... I could go on forever)

But all that is basically what other movies have been doing for years, it's just an improved version of it. There have been realistic looking CGI characters (dinosaurs, terminators, aliens), photo realistic CGI backgrounds and settings have been done before.

Digital stunt doubles, perhaps. But that's basically just CGI characters in an action pose.

It's basically what other movies have been doing for years, just better, and more of it.

Quote:Removing the black lines doesn't make it easier to render. I don't know where the hell you pulled that claim out of. Actually, removing the black outlines makes it even more difficult to make a 3D object look 2D.

There is a definate performance hit when black lines are added. You have to render all the models you want to outline again. The difference is that you cull the front faces and extrude the polygons out just a hair along the normal. If you render all the backfaces as pure black pixels, you get the effect of a black outline.

Although the pixel workload would be almost nil, the vertexz workload would basically be the same as renderring the whole character again.

Quote:You guys have been repeating this over and over, and I've been responding to it over and over. It's obvious that we're not going to get anywhere. If you wish to think this way, go on right ahead and do so. You're wrong, but what can I do?

I don't see how it's wrong. While not all cel-shaded games have the aim to look like a cartoon (JSRF, TFLO), games have been made with the distinct effort of making it as cartoon-esque as possible. Zelda may be the first to pull it off effectively, but again, that's just an extension and improvement over what's been done before.

Doing it better is not innovation.

Quote:You crack me up. You're the exact same. When's the last time you backed out of an argument? Hypocrite.

... and my point about arguments.

Quote: On this point, I completely agree... arguments are fun! Not too productive, and they don't get anywhere, but fun...

Not exactly related, but close... I will admit that I don't change my mind very often, but I think I do it more than you do...

Quote:You caught me off guard. You never joke.

I do joke... you just don't seem capable of recognising when what I say is a joke even when I make it very obvious... I was just saying that D&D itsself obviously isn't 90% of PC RPGs... but D&D ones? Yeah, probably. But unlike you I consider that a good thing...

Quote:I know of a few dozen developers that would disagree with you on that. And you've contradicted yourself again. DJ said that TPM wasn't innovative because it looked like an evolved form of previous special effects, even though you and I know that's not true. Doom 3 and WW are similar to TPM in that way.

I don't know the technical details of Doom 3... it probably is innovative in whatever very small amount a 3d engine that builds on a decade of 3d engines can be, which isn't much, really... its just building on whats been done to make a resulting product that is the best looking graphics engine ever designed. As for TPM, if I'd just based it on the movie alone I might have agreed with DJ, but after watching the second disks and commentary tracks of the DVD I know a lot about what went into making it, making that impossible... so I'm agreeing with you by basing my opinion on something that DJ specifically said he was not considering: The technical details... though just based on the movie I have to say I'd still choose Star Wars over Matrix... probably just the Star Wars fan in me. :)

Quote:*sigh* Failed to pay attention again, eh? Even after I repeating the words "visually innovative" over and over.

I know... I was just saying that graphical innovation is a lot less important than gameplay innovation is, and it doesn't innovate gameplay...

Quote:As I said before (boy, you sure make me say that a lot), that's the best KH I could find in such short time. And I used that Wind Waker image (which is not an in-game screen, but does show you the actual models used in the game) because all of the WW screen shots look blurry. Very few gamecube screen shots look good. It has something to do with the screen shot capturing ability of the Gamecube (or lack therof). Ign commented on that a few times in the past, but I forgot the details.

Then can someone find some better screenshots to compare? I'm sure there are some out there...

On the topic of whether its harder to render cel-shading with or without the black lines... I really don't know myself, so I'll have to believe what I read here... which isn't much. I don't know which way is easier. I'd just assume that with the lines would be easier because up till now all celshaded games used it...

Quote:I don't see how it's wrong. While not all cel-shaded games have the aim to look like a cartoon (JSRF, TFLO), games have been made with the distinct effort of making it as cartoon-esque as possible. Zelda may be the first to pull it off effectively, but again, that's just an extension and improvement over what's been done before.

Doing it better is not innovation.

Yup. Though it isn't exactly that simple, in general that is true...

Quote:But all that is basically what other movies have been doing for years, it's just an improved version of it. There have been realistic looking CGI characters (dinosaurs, terminators, aliens), photo realistic CGI backgrounds and settings have been done before.

Digital stunt doubles, perhaps. But that's basically just CGI characters in an action pose.

It's basically what other movies have been doing for years, just better, and more of it.

Got to disagree here... TPM did so much more than previous movies that it was a truly innovative use of CG and adding CG to movies. Sure it'd been used before, but not nearly as much or as well as it was used in TPM... the improvement was dramatic enough to be innovative.

Not so for WW or Doom 3, though... they aren't as huge steps. Doom 3's a bigger one than WW, but that one is at best just barely innnovative and probably better classified as doing what it can to exploit the newest hardware... if that counts as innovation it might be a little bit, but it shouldn't count for much.

WW, I think I've said my opinion on that one enough now.

On the topic of whether its harder to render cel-shading with or without the black lines... I really don't know myself, so I'll have to believe what I read here... which isn't much. I don't know which way is easier. I'd just assume that with the lines would be easier because up till now all celshaded games used it...[b]

Did you not read what I wrote? It's easier to design the character without the black lines, as doing it WITH the black lines forces you to render a whole other layer.

Quote:Got to disagree here... TPM did so much more than previous movies that it was a truly innovative use of CG and adding CG to movies. [b]Sure it'd been used before, but not nearly as much or as well as it was used in TPM... the improvement was dramatic enough to be innovative.

If it's done before, it's not innovative. Dramatic improvement is not innovation.

Quote:Did you not read what I wrote? It's easier to design the character without the black lines, as doing it WITH the black lines forces you to render a whole other layer.

Then why always do it with the lines before? Just for looks?

Quote:If it's done before, it's not innovative. Dramatic improvement is not innovation.

Some things, like Jar-Jar (awful character that he is, it still was a previously unmatched achievement in CG characters) were completely new and thus deserving of being called innovative...

Quote: don't know the technical details of Doom 3... it probably is innovative in whatever very small amount a 3d engine that builds on a decade of 3d engines can be, which isn't much, really... its just building on whats been done to make a resulting product that is the best looking graphics engine ever designed. As for TPM, if I'd just based it on the movie alone I might have agreed with DJ, but after watching the second disks and commentary tracks of the DVD I know a lot about what went into making it, making that impossible... so I'm agreeing with you by basing my opinion on something that DJ specifically said he was not considering: The technical details... though just based on the movie I have to say I'd still choose Star Wars over Matrix... probably just the Star Wars fan in me.

That's exactly right. Hudson and DJ don't know anything about how the visual effects in TPM were created; they just see the gimmicky "bullet-time" of The Matrix and thing that it's the shizzy shizzam. I also know a bit about the development of the graphics engine for Doom 3, the kind of tools that they had to create and how they were able to make such a terrific-looking graphics engine with such a relatively low poly count. They're doing new things, but no one would know that unless they looked into it. They'd just think that's it a simple matter up "doing it better".

But this topic has been beaten to death. Go ahead and think what you guys want to think. I can't change your mind. "Ignorance is bliss", as they say.

Then why always do it with the lines before? Just for looks?

Artistic design, yes.

Quote:Some things, like Jar-Jar (awful character that he is, it still was a previously unmatched achievement in CG characters) were completely new and thus deserving of being called innovative...

How is he innovative? Seriously.

Quote:That's exactly right. Hudson and DJ don't know anything about how the visual effects in TPM were created; they just see the gimmicky "bullet-time" of The Matrix and thing that it's the shizzy shizzam.

I never even mentioned The Matrix.

Quote:I also know a bit about the development of the graphics engine for Doom 3, the kind of tools that they had to create and how they were able to make such a terrific-looking graphics engine with such a relatively low poly count. They're doing new things, but no one would know that unless they looked into it. They'd just think that's it a simple matter up "doing it better".

Again, I didn't even mention Doom 3.

But polybump-mapping, and bump-mapping in general are hardly new things, if that's what you were referring to.

Although, I am curious, what are these innovative features in Doom 3's graphics engine? I haven't actually done any real research into it. :)

Quote:Artistic design, yes.

Ah, makes sense.

Quote:How is he innovative? Seriously.

Can you think of any CG character before that that even remotely came close to what they did with Jar-Jar? I don't think so...

Quote:That's exactly right. Hudson and DJ don't know anything about how the visual effects in TPM were created; they just see the gimmicky "bullet-time" of The Matrix and thing that it's the shizzy shizzam. I also know a bit about the development of the graphics engine for Doom 3, the kind of tools that they had to create and how they were able to make such a terrific-looking graphics engine with such a relatively low poly count. They're doing new things, but no one would know that unless they looked into it. They'd just think that's it a simple matter up "doing it better".

Yeah, if DJ and Hudson watched the Star Wars ep1 and ep2 DVD extras I bet they'd change their minds...

As for Doom 3, I will also wait for some more info, but I very highly doubt that it's all that innovative... mostly its just doing small improvements on stuff done before... like most games and engines do...

Quote:But this topic has been beaten to death. Go ahead and think what you guys want to think. I can't change your mind. "Ignorance is bliss", as they say.

Quitting the argument, are you? Come on... we aren't done yet! :)

Can you think of any CG character before that that even remotely came close to what they did with Jar-Jar? I don't think so...

??

In what way? For design and detail there are plenty. Say, the dinosaurs in Jurassic Park for one.

For how he was created (using a human and then adding CGI), that, too, has been done many times.

Quote:Yeah, if DJ and Hudson watched the Star Wars ep1 and ep2 DVD extras I bet they'd change their minds...

I watched the Ep 2. DVD extras, it was very informative. Haven't seen the DVD extras on Ep. 1, but I've seen plenty of making of's.

Quote:Although, I am curious, what are these innovative features in Doom 3's graphics engine? I haven't actually done any real research into it.

For one thing, there's the dynamic lighting that's never been done like this before. Instead of using a simple lightmap like most games use for lighting, the Doom 3 engine gets rid of that and is able to calculate the light value of every pixel in the screen at each frame. The dynamic lighting in conjunction with the clever usage of bump-mapping gives the illusion of much higher poly counts. Of course, you need a powerful GPU to handle that kind of dynamic lighting, but it's more efficient than cranking out super high poly environments and models. I could go into more detail but I think I might be getting carpal tunnel syndrom from typing all day.

Quote:For how he was created (using a human and then adding CGI), that, too, has been done many times.

Not before Episode I was created.

Dude, just watch the Episode I docs. You'll get the picture.

For one thing, there's the dynamic lighting that's never been done like this before. Instead of using a simple lightmap like most games use for lighting, the Doom 3 engine gets rid of that and is able to calculate the light value of every pixel in the screen at each frame. The dynamic lighting in conjunction with the clever usage of bump-mapping gives the illusion of much higher poly counts. Of course, you need a powerful GPU to handle that kind of dynamic lighting, but it's more efficient than cranking out super high poly environments and models. I could go into more detail but I think I might be getting carpal tunnel syndrom from typing all day.

Splinter Cell used per pixel calculations for it's lighting model, as well.

Quote:Not before Episode I was created.

Dude, just watch the Episode I docs. You'll get the picture.

Uh.. yah. Just not to the extent that was in Jar Jar.

And dammit, I just said I have watched Episode 1 docs.

Quote:Uh.. yah. Just not to the extent that was in Jar Jar.

Um... like OB1 said, no, before Jar-Jar nothing like it had been done. Jar-Jar does far, far more than a Jurassic Park dinosaur or any previous CG character... I don't see how you can't see that...

Quote:And dammit, I just said I have watched Episode 1 docs.

Um... no, you said you saw the ep.2 ones, but not the ep.1 ones... they spend a lot of time saying how revolutionary making the movie was and how they'd done nothing remotely like it before... and I'm sure they are telling the truth...

Um... like OB1 said, no, before Jar-Jar nothing like it had been done. Jar-Jar does far, far more than a Jurassic Park dinosaur or any previous CG character... I don't see how you can't see that...

Like what?

Quote:Um... no, you said you saw the ep.2 ones, but not the ep.1 ones... they spend a lot of time saying how revolutionary making the movie was and how they'd done nothing remotely like it before... and I'm sure they are telling the truth...

No, I said I hadn't seen the ones on the DVD, I had seen some, though. :)

I'll watch the DVD docs in a couple of days (if I can get a hold of it). Check it out. :)

New Miyamoto interview (must read)! - Dark Jaguar - 25th February 2003

Change my mind about what exactly? ABF acknowledged something you missed. When I judge the innovation of something like that, I'm ignoring pretty much everything that happened behind the scenes. Don't get me wrong, I actually am interested in things like that, but we are looking at this from a viewer/gamer end, and as such we should only be judging what we see, not how it was done. I mean, think of all the many similar products out there that have some secret method in the background that's totally innovative. Should some new shoe be called innovative just because the way it was made was? As an example, let's say we invented a matter replicater. That's innovative, but the stuff made with it (TVs for instance) are not.

New Miyamoto interview (must read)! - OB1 - 25th February 2003

That's the most inane logic I've ever heard. The end result of the visual f/x in the last two SW movies has been incredible, just not as gimmicky as bullet-time.

Quote:Splinter Cell used per pixel calculations for it's lighting model, as well.

SC uses lightmaps, while Doom 3 completely throws that out the window and doesn't need to store any lightning info which games like Splinter Cell do. So while games liks SC may have lighting that kinda looks like the stuff in Doom 3, it's done in a completely different way and doesn't look nearly as good.

New Miyamoto interview (must read)! - Nintendarse - 25th February 2003

I needed to mull over this whole thing. And I have reached a conclusion that we never reach closure over arguments because we refuse to recognize that some things are too subjective, like the amount of innovation in a product. Perhaps I am getting frusrated because there is no common ground to start from, nothing that we can agree upon at the outset.

I come from a life experience which tells me that I should not judge another human's thoughts, emotions, interests, and feelings. Everyone has a right to think what they think, get angry when they get angry, get sad when they get sad. Only when the action inspired by these feelings conflicts with the rights of a human/animal/environment should I judge the actions of the individual.

As a part of this feeling, I must be willing not to judge someone because they think they have a right to diminish the value of a person's opinion. However, when someone says in a public forum, "I may be impressed by different things, but the reasons behind my being impressed are worth more," that is taking an action. The action there is to degrade the value of the opinion of another sovereign human being. While this action is legally protected under the first amendment, it is also disrespectful. This is a relaxed forum where people are ecouraged to share their opinions. I hope that in the future we can have more respect for each other.

New Miyamoto interview (must read)! - A Black Falcon - 25th February 2003

Quote: The end result of the visual f/x in the last two SW movies has been incredible, just not as gimmicky as bullet-time.

I agree.

Oh, and Nintendarse, you're taking it way too seriously...

New Miyamoto interview (must read)! - Private Hudson - 26th February 2003

SC uses lightmaps, while Doom 3 completely throws that out the window and doesn't need to store any lightning info which games like Splinter Cell do. So while games liks SC may have lighting that kinda looks like the stuff in Doom 3, it's done in a completely different way and doesn't look nearly as good.

That's interesting. Do you have any links (regarding both Splinter Cell using standard light maps, and Doom 3), because as far as I've seen (other than what you've told me), both games use per-pixel lighting/shadowing.

New Miyamoto interview (must read)! - OB1 - 26th February 2003

I believe I remember the developers talking about how SC uses radiosity lightmaps. You'll have to look that up. But I do know that no other game uses as sophisticating of a lighting system as Doom 3 does. I have the pre-alpha of that game and the lighting is simply incredible.

New Miyamoto interview (must read)! - Private Hudson - 27th February 2003

I don't think it was radiosity light maps. But it doesn't really matter.

New Miyamoto interview (must read)! - OB1 - 27th February 2003

Why don't you look into it.

New Miyamoto interview (must read)! - A Black Falcon - 27th February 2003

But why does it really matter? Doom 3 does new things with lighting, OK...